Options

aesthetic [chat]

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Beast agrees huh

Beast what do you know about my carb consumption?!?!!?
    i heard you cutting bread all night that time you slept on our couch

I CAN NEITHER CONFIRM NOR DENY THESE ALLEGATIONS AT THIS TIME

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Ladykiller in a Bind:

I finally got to the one token scene where you can have sexytimes with a person of the non-female persuasion - at last, I thought, a comforting penile oasis in the middle of a scary, moist, vaginal sea

but then they don't even illustrate the scene

Christine Love pls

Uhh... there are two hetero scenes and both have illustrations. One lacks P in V tho
    wait
    does this mean you can bang your cousin?

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    That baby picture earlier reminded me that I am now at the age where I thought I'd be firmly entrenched in a lucrative career, ready to get married, and thinking about kids.

But dang if life ain't a curveball I whiffed.
    Or you're living the SINK life

My entire income is absorbed by debt.

I don't think SINK implies crushing poverty. But. But. I am still fighting to regain what I lost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    If by "rigged" you mean Hillary was better prepared, more organized, understood party rules, had an actual plan, and had the support of high ranking party members who weren't bound by primary results, then yes the primary was rigged.

Rigged like a functional machine!
    Aioua wrote: »
    Poetry is well represented in the list of Nobel laureates.

As well are playwrights, which tbh I think a play is more divorced from a novel than a song is from poetry.

A screenplay is to a movie what lyrics are to a song though, and yet.

For the most part a story is still a story and words are still words regardless of whether something is live or recorded, spoken or sung.

While the ENJOYMENT of something will certainly depend on certain elements, as long as all the same conceptual elements are presented* you get the same information at the end of the day.

*Some elements of a story may be presented visually or audibly, so obviously you'd need to factor that in when converting to pure text, and visa versa.

I don't relate to this view at all. I do not view art as "information". Nor do I agree that experiences are intact when translated from genre to genre. Example: "I liked the book better than the movie".

It literally is all just information. That's not to diminish it, information is a pretty broad thing! How you experience things differs by medium, but if you can get the same information across and inspire the same response the meritorious aspect of a thing has been accomplished. Obviously no two mediums can be 100% 1:1 in the information they provide the human mind, but a good enough artist can get pretty close.

Also book <-> novel is almost never going to carry the same information, if simply because artists who are good enough to transfer that have better things to do than to capture shaky cam in a novel.

No, sorry, I don't agree. Calling the experience of art information is both absurdly reductive and honestly not a useful distinction. The sensory input, or the art object, is fixed but the experience is not; two people will have radically different interpretations and what each person notices may also vary. That is different than information like the weather, or the news, or basic laws of physics.

You're also contradicting yourself in saying that a good enough artist can translate between mediums but saying that of course that translation will carry different information.

Again, they can get close, not 100%, but you can get the same general response.

Novel <-> movie* is basically never done with the intent of carrying over the same information. That doesn't mean it cannot be done, just nobody bothers because we're talking crummy cash-ins 99.999% of the time rather than someone trying to provide a similar impact. Obviously the more different the medium the more difficult to translate between.

* I realized I accidentally put book <-> novel above but I assume there was no confusion about my intent.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Art is absolutely information.

But the information conveyed is not limited to the raw facts. A novel and its film adaptation, with the same plot, characters and dialogue, convey radically different information through the particulars of each medium. The interiority and linguistic richness of text, the visuals and cinematography and music and body language and etc of film, they're all massive information transfers.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That baby picture earlier reminded me that I am now at the age where I thought I'd be firmly entrenched in a lucrative career, ready to get married, and thinking about kids.

I don't think SINK implies crushing poverty. But. But. I am still fighting to regain what I lost.
    If you identify as an acronym that makes it a valid choice.

• Options

If you identify as an acronym that makes it a valid choice.

Well they do call me DUE.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So 3 hours in Ikea and I ended up with a 4 hour project.

1st world problems.

• Options

But the information conveyed is not limited to the raw facts. A novel and its film adaptation, with the same plot, characters and dialogue, convey radically different information through the particulars of each medium. The interiority and linguistic richness of text, the visuals and cinematography and music and body language and etc of film, they're all massive information transfers.

I do not suggest that this is at all a trivial effort.

But I'm pretty comfortable saying you can take, say, Grapes of Wrath and get the same information across as a book, a novel, an epic song, or even a very, very complex series of paintings or a massive sculpture park.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So @credeiki @ronya @cptrugged @RiemannLives

Won my first Civ 6 game. I had to abandon my Russia game because I got hit with a siphon money that made me permanently negative though I had a positive income and when it hit I had enough money to absorb it. So my giant army went poof.

So I restarted at the Aztecs. I would say they are a little too strong even late game. Just because their workers can use a charge to build 20% of a district. With the right policies you can basically build any district in 5 turns or less with a worker prepped. I had 3 wars with Congo because that dude is a dick. He is the new Shaka. None with Ghandi though. He was a nuke lover though. Dick. My first war was like 30 turns in verse a giant mass of Congo warriors I barely held off. Second war I wanted the damn city he like forward settled on me. Third war he tried to take it back but I was two eras ahead with my tech and just walked over him. Got some free wonders that way.

Overall I am liking the game. The systems are pretty neat. With Russia I was spreading Turtleism. Russia rocks at faith wars actually.

I am not sure who to do next. Think the US because god damn it is Teddy and I love Teddy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    i wish there was an all carb diet.

like, that wouldn't result in me being fat amd diabetic.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    Ladykiller in a Bind:

I finally got to the one token scene where you can have sexytimes with a person of the non-female persuasion - at last, I thought, a comforting penile oasis in the middle of a scary, moist, vaginal sea

Christine Love pls

Uhh... there are two hetero scenes and both have illustrations. One lacks P in V tho
    wait
    just because you can bang your cousin doesn't mean you should

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I wonder if I can hear the screams from Chicago all the way down here. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I've been sitting here for like ten minutes trying to come up for a cute acronym for my lifestyle

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    am i ever gonna catch up on the presidential election thread

do i even want to

NO

You cant even vote!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Is it from an elder god opening up at Wrigley? Or is that after they take the series.

*stupid Cubs*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I've been sitting here for like ten minutes trying to come up for a cute acronym for my lifestyle

Lie In Bed In Between Outings

LIBIDO for short

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    A person said "Thanks Love!" In response to a snapchat thing. And I was like briefly confused because they are British and we hardly talk. Then it was like. Pub wait we have had sex so I guess that term of endearment is appropriate ???

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

LIBIDO for short

That's LIBIBO, sadly :P

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    If by "rigged" you mean Hillary was better prepared, more organized, understood party rules, had an actual plan, and had the support of high ranking party members who weren't bound by primary results, then yes the primary was rigged.

plus, you know, got more votes

• Options

But I'm pretty comfortable saying you can take, say, Grapes of Wrath and get the same information across as a book, a novel, an epic song, or even a very, very complex series of paintings or a massive sculpture park.

I don't think you can. There is information inherent to any given medium. They're different in essential ways. They're not interchangeable, and the way you convey information is itself a form of information.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Is it from an elder god opening up at Wrigley? Or is that after they take the series.

*stupid Cubs*

You just gave me a great idea for a roleplay someday.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Ladykiller in a Bind:

Christine Love pls

wait
    you're not my real dad

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    There is no such thing as art

• Options

I don't think you can. There is information inherent to any given medium. They're different in essential ways. They're not interchangeable, and the way you convey information is itself a form of information.

I disagree, unless you're going into incredibly narrow forms of art. Like I suppose slide-whistle playing cannot easily describe War and Peace, but Music sure as hell can.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

LIBIDO for short

That's LIBIBO, sadly :P

Lying in Bed In Dirty Outerwear

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Invited to a party. No, no, I think I'll stay in I don't want to go anywh... it's in my apartment complex? Son of a.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Even if you just sang the entire text of War and Peace, it wouldn't convey the same information as the book. The experience of reading text on a page is very different from the experience of hearing speech or song, which means they carry inherently different information and have differing cognitive effects. I think your idea of information is too narrow (and when it's as narrow as factual even or metaphorical content, then you have to accept that much of what art does is not information because it does much more than fact and metaphor)

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    so i've only received a single mailer this entire campaign cycle, despite living in colorado. it was for trump and it arrived the day after the ballot (which is funny since many people are gonna fill it out and seal it on day one). it didn't say anything about the wall or foreign affairs or anything. it was just a big picture of ivanka saying BEING A MOM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB A WOMAN CAN HAVE and talked about how he wants to do tax credits and stuff to not discourage moms from staying home.

• Options
    Even if you just sang the entire text of War and Peace, it wouldn't convey the same information as the book. The experience of reading text on a page is very different from the experience of hearing speech or song, which means they carry inherently different information and have differing cognitive effects. I think your idea of information is too narrow.

I agree that just singing the text would not convey the same information. Similarly, you cannot translate a song into a poem but just talking through the lyrics.

You have to do things that compensate for the way people read, which includes lots of tiny breaks for pages and chapters. You also need to avoid adding in a lot of information that is NOT conveyed by the book, and a lot of stated information will need to be converted into sound instead of recited.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    chu tell the people what you did to me tonight

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

i think superdelegates are a dumb idea and the whole "bernie doesn't have a chance because of them" definitely stifled a lot of momentum going into the later stages of the primaries

i also think people would be a lot more against them if they hadn't benefited hillary but not like it matters now anyway. Hillary is the best candidate and will win and people will handwave away anything against her because at least she's not trump

or maybe trump will win. You never know. I didn't think Brexit would happen and here we are. Politics is awful and i hate it but american politics is totally unavoidable

• Options
    I also spent all day calibrating my TV. Looks so good.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    You cannot suplex the train in bf1

https://youtu.be/SKG5pAzKchU

• Options
    I think our polling on the presidential election but MOSTLY the turnout operation is a lot longer and better than the Brexit was. The democrat operation is top notch full steam ahead microtargeting. The GOP had to do all the lifting for the candidate and now has just withdrawn all of it's meager efforts anyway.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Tav wrote: »
    jmcdonald wrote: »

i think superdelegates are a dumb idea and the whole "bernie doesn't have a chance because of them" definitely stifled a lot of momentum going into the later stages of the primaries

i also think people would be a lot more against them if they hadn't benefited hillary but not like it matters now anyway. Hillary is the best candidate and will win and people will handwave away anything against her because at least she's not trump

or maybe trump will win. You never know. I didn't think Brexit would happen and here we are. Politics is awful and i hate it but american politics is totally unavoidable

Bernie never had a chance because he failed to pitch to anyone other than college students and aggrieved white voters.

One of those groups is literally fucking the GOP right now. well technically both, but for different reasons.

"Momentum" is a bullshit narrative term. we have math that tells us how these things will turn out once we actually start collecting samples.

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    a bookmaker here already paid out on hillary winning and has trump down at like, 14/1

i mean i don't want trump to win but screwing over the bookies would be a nice silver lining

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    zepherin wrote: »
    Ladykiller in a Bind:

Christine Love pls

wait
    you're not my real dad
    Does that mean we can bang?

zepherin on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I finally found that video again, no thanks to chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_91Sye6oJg

This discussion has been closed.