As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think Alex liked Tokyo Mirage Sessions enough that he might be into the anime-ness of P5.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think the entire crew wants to like P5, everyone seems to respect the experience Jeff and Vinny had and goes "yeah I would like to"

It's just a question of whether the time investment scares most of them off. Same reason a lot of big RPGs get poor coverage, is when you have one 50 hour game as a games reviewer, that's stopping you from covering two 25 hour games, and so on.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    The Bombcast needs someone who occasionally disagrees with Jeff and can reasonably articulate why

Brad's a good host, Jeff is a really good personality, Drew and Jason both chime in with good commentary, but right now it's basically Brad introducing a topic, Jeff providing his viewpoint, and Brad agreeing.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    The Bombcast needs someone who occasionally disagrees with Jeff and can reasonably articulate why

Brad's a good host, Jeff is a really good personality, Drew and Jason both chime in with good commentary, but right now it's basically Brad introducing a topic, Jeff providing his viewpoint, and Brad agreeing.

Yeah, they need someone energetic with their own viewpoint

Love him or hate him, Dan definitely brought that

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

Yeah, they need someone energetic with their own viewpoint

Love him or hate him, Dan definitely brought that

Dan could never compete with Jeff though, since his arguments were generally much shallower. The only time he ever "won" as such was when Jeff just couldn't be bothered.

He was never an effective foil to Jeff like Vinny or Ryan were. Basically someone needs to clone Austin and put him on the Bombcast.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The problem is that said person should just BE Brad. It drives me nuts because he's not always been this way. It's been a gradual decline into this IDGAF attitude for about 2 years now. A podcast doesn't really need a "host" it needs people with things to say and lately it seems that only Jeff, Jason, and Drew have things to say.

Brad is one of my favs on the site. That's why I want him to get a fire lit under him again.

• Options
    To be fair, there has been some sort of rumbling in the comments of recent videos that Brad has been weirdly quiet. In the Nioh QL, he seems to lose interest incredibly quickly and remains quiet for most of it. On UPF he kinda looked like he would rather have been anywhere else.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I imagine Brad currently has to do an almost absurd amount of work in the west coast office as there is basically nobody there anymore.

Some people weather that in different ways.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah part of me suspects that Brad is overworking himself (esp. if GB West is still searching to fill the staffing void) and it's slowly/gradually seeping into his public presentation

Having been working 7 days a week for the past 9 months to pay the bills, I can empathise with that kind of slow decay of the soul

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Might also explain why GBEast has been churning out the content, to give GBWest time to breathe a bit.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Might also explain why GBEast has been churning out the content, to give GBWest time to breathe a bit.

Also Dan Ryckert is a tireless Content Machine

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah from what I understand from the grapevine, Brad is probably the busiest guy at GB outside of maybe Jeff.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Well, a lot of people care and it's data that even a modicum of effort would bring to bare.

It just sounds like Brad doesn't give a fuck which is making me not give a fuck about listening.

a person that does care could spend 5 seconds typing it into google and finding out rather than waiting to hear it on the bombcast. I doubt that many people care anyway, most people know the march 3rd date for the switch

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Well, a lot of people care and it's data that even a modicum of effort would bring to bare.

It just sounds like Brad doesn't give a fuck which is making me not give a fuck about listening.

a person that does care could spend 5 seconds typing it into google and finding out rather than waiting to hear it on the bombcast. I doubt that many people care anyway, most people know the march 3rd date for the switch

I mean, that's true, but then why bother having a news segment on the bombcast?

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

I mean, that's true, but then why bother having a news segment on the bombcast?

So they can talk about the industry-wide news

And in cases where a specific fact or piece of information is immediately relevant to the conversation they can look it up, as they did with Zelda's release date like a minute after bringing it up

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    i for one have never forgotten a piece of information in my life, these giant bomb plebes don't deserve their jobs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Drew is such a treasure.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I like how amused/terrified he seems to be of the entire meme thing.

Like asking Jeff if "it ever goes away" and Jeff giving him legitimate, heartfelt advice, since he's been there before.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    i for one have never forgotten a piece of information in my life, these giant bomb plebes don't deserve their jobs

Not even remotely at all what anybody means.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Not even remotely at all what anybody means.

yeah but it's not really possible to take "i can't believe they didn't remember the wii u zelda release date!" seriously as a complaint

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    You don't have to take me seriously, but I absolutely expect people with jobs exclusively devoted to covering video games to know the release date of an incredibly anticipated big release game that's less than a month away off the top of their head. I absolutely do. Without question.

Maybe that's not fair. But I'm not talking about them forgetting the release date of a game that came out years ago from some obscure developer. I'm talking about a game that had just had a big press conference release date announced, a game that has been hotly anticipated for several years, and a website that specializes in game coverage. These guys definitely get paid more than my piddly salary to cover the stuff I only follow as a hobby. I don't think that they play games all day, but I do expect them to know more than I do about them, which really shouldn't be that hard.

So you can make fun of me all you want. It would just be nice to listen to the news segment of a bombcast and hear informed opinions instead of half-remembered dismissive muttering. Whatever work is being done that is keeping them from knowing these details certainly doesn't seem to be going into the website.

I'm hoping that this new hire will help increase their output. Right now it feels like Giant Bomb pioneered the "video content first" aspect of modern game coverage, but there are now a bunch of sites/channels out there full of hungry people that churn out content. Makes GB look like they're standing still. I want GB to get hungry again, like they were during the early Whiskey Media days. They had even less people back them but put out ten times more. East has been picking it up lately, reminding me of those days. I hope they keep it up.

Ceno on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Who is anticipating the Wii U Zelda?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    yeah if you've never had a moment of "Oh wait shit I don't actually know that with 100% confidence right now" idk man

also they do know more about games than you

they just have to know about all games, whereas you only have to know about the games that you're interested in

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I mean, the guys put out like fourteen hours of video content over the last week plus the podcasts. That's not slacking.

• Options
    yeah if you've never had a moment of "Oh wait shit I don't actually know that with 100% confidence right now" idk man

also they do know more about games than you

they just have to know about all games, whereas you only have to know about the games that you're interested in

I'm not saying I haven't had those moments. And I'm not saying they have to be perfect about everything. That moment just stood out to me as particularly out of touch for whatever reason.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    in fact i would go so far as to say that there is absolutely no value in a games reviewer knowing when a game is going to come out except for the point at which they are composing the review

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

I sorta am, but only because it's probably cheaper to pick up a cheap Wii U and all the Wii U sclusees I never played than it is to get a Switch with 1 game on it I want to play

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Ok, we can agree to disagree. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything. I certainly don't think their bad people or purposefully slacking off.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Yeah, seriously. They werent sure of the WiiU version had the same date as the Switch version. Given the last time this happened, TP came out on GC weeks after the Wii version, its not that hard to see why they'd second guess themselves here.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    You don't have to take me seriously, but I absolutely expect people with jobs exclusively devoted to covering video games to know the release date of an incredibly anticipated big release game that's less than a month away off the top of their head. I absolutely do. Without question.

Maybe that's not fair. But I'm not talking about them forgetting the release date of a game that came out years ago from some obscure developer. I'm talking about a game that had just had a big press conference release date announced, a game that has been hotly anticipated for several years, and a website that specializes in game coverage. These guys definitely get paid more than my piddly salary to cover the stuff I only follow as a hobby. I don't think that they play games all day, but I do expect them to know more than I do about them, which really shouldn't be that hard.

So you can make fun of me all you want. It would just be nice to listen to the news segment of a bombcast and hear informed opinions instead of half-remembered dismissive muttering. Whatever work is being done that is keeping them from knowing these details certainly doesn't seem to be going into the website.

I'm hoping that this new hire will help increase their output. Right now it feels like Giant Bomb pioneered the "video content first" aspect of modern game coverage, but there are now a bunch of sites/channels out there full of hungry people that churn out content. Makes GB look like they're standing still. I want GB to get hungry again, like they were during the early Whiskey Media days. They had even less people back them but put out ten times more. East has been picking it up lately, reminding me of those days. I hope they keep it up.

Yeah, people forget that Giantbomb formed as a 'real' site in the summer of 2008. Youtube was four years old. They were highly experienced early-30/late 20s guys trying out a very different format of ''write what we want, record what we want'. They had something to prove, wanted to say 'fuck you' to Gamespot, and had so much energy/talent/ambition.

But eight years later people literally die, get older, have kids, etc. Hell, they were BOUGHT by the guys that fired Jeff, and that prompted them to be rebellious upstarts in the first place.

I wonder where Brad sits on that sort of thing. And I mean this as not only someone who loves Brad's game opinions, writing style, and charm, but also someone invested in GB's future AND someone in their own mid-20s funk. Is he bored with all this after a decade? Did he ever want to shift to video content outweighing written content as much as it does now? Does he want a mid-30's shift? What's Giantbomb like when they're all 40?

He's a dull yes-man on most of the live video, but still shines in QL duty often, I'll admit.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    everyone who loves nintendo's games, but isn't planning on buying their latest boondoggle until they absolutely have to?

• Options
    I was actually pretty sure the WiiU version was coming out later and was surprised it wasn't after they looked it up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If you go back and look at Twilight Princess, the GameCube version was actually delayed for about a month past the Wii release.

It's not unreasonable, if you didn't have that information immediately on your mind, to think that they could potentially do that again.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I pre-ordered the WiiU version and I wasn't even really sure.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I actually haven't decided yet. I know I'm playing Zelda and the Switch but man. Mass Effect is this month.

400$ for one game is still nuts.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
This discussion has been closed.