Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Ah, so Yoko Taro's next game will be a Mobius Final Fantasy remake.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ugh, the P5 localization looks like it's a shitshow.

I'm talking about unreadable, incomplete sentences, phrases that retain Japanese sentence structure, and literal translation of common phrases.

Example:
    MC is on a treadmill, and Morgana says: "All right, let's be mindful of your pace. You don't want to make the same mistake last time."

^That's not a mistake on my part. That's what it says. It's in the release trailer. What the fuck.

I'm just frustrated. This is a series known for its writing, among other things, and if they botched the localization (and it seems like they did) then that's a shame. 8 years, and this is what we get.

The funny thing is, word is that Atlus JP was kinda pissed at the localization team and made them go back and redo a large portion of it and that was the reason for the last delay. They originally weren't going to have a JP audio track at all but they included it as kind of an apology of some sorts.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Some kind of Drakengard game by platinum would be dope. They have to have a ton of unused Dragon tech around.

Fucking microsoft.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    InfiNierte Space

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    nier route b spoilers
    I was convinced for a good minute that it was going to be the adventures of random fodder machine as all his friends get tragically murdered around him by 2B, I was a little disappointed when it panned back to 9S.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    alternately have beefcake man protagonist be wearing a normal business suit but with the ass and upper inner thigh regions removed

Business shirt
    Business jacket
    Business tie
    Business socks
    Business chaps

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    InfiNierte Space

This would

Actually make a lot of sense given the shit that goes down post-Nier

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Plus then you wouldn't have to choose between pretty boy butt or beefcake butt because of the timeskip

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Can you spoil that? The sales figures aren't a spoiler but
    the other playable characters sure are.

Is it?
    They were all explicitly mentioned as playable in pre-release interviews, previews, etc from the devs.

And if you didn't read those, like say if you were trying to avoid being spoiled or you find them super boring, then yes they absolutely were.

but what if you
    looked at the cover of the game

So? Nothing about that indicates what's going on; those are all characters in the game. I have 15 hours in it and had no idea that was going to happen.
    hell going by that goofy ass logic there's only one playable character in overwatch and you can play the swimsuit model they always insist putting on the cover of all the GTA games

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yo NieR imma let you finish but P5 is the best jurp of all time. ALL TIME.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    P5 is pretty okay. I'd say it's not even as good as Berseria. It can't even see the level Automata is on. Maybe it gets better after the first handful of hours but so far.. eh. Better than P4!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    P5 is pretty okay. I'd say it's not even as good as Berseria. It can't even see the level Automata is on. Maybe it gets better after the first handful of hours but so far.. eh. Better than P4!

man don't make me get Beseria. I can't manage the combat in those games in any way shape or form

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I liked Berseria a lot. I love Tales games in general and it's one of the best.

But P5 is on another level quality wise.

Granted if you like Tales style better of course that one is gonna be preferable. But yea, for me ToB was one of the best jurps I'd played in a few years. P5 may well be the best one I've ever played.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    P5 oozes style from every pore.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

It should really get that looked at. Sounds like some sort of glandular problem.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

It should really get that looked at. Sounds like some sort of glandular bonus.

dear doctor please prescribe me style ooze pills

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Stilts wrote: »
    Ah, so Yoko Taro's next game will be a Mobius Final Fantasy remake.

#FreeWolsButt

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Granted if you like Tales style better of course that one is gonna be preferable. But yea, for me ToB was one of the best jurps I'd played in a few years. P5 may well be the best one I've ever played.

Berseria destroys P5 on the "can play as a girl" front

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

What you don't like your static voiceless male protagonist?

(P3 Golden female protag FO LYFE)

• Options

In a year or two I'm sure the NOW YOU CAN PLAY AS A LADY AND WE CAN MAKE MORE MONEY edition of P5 will be out.

But yes, I imagine if I were a lady that feature of Berseria would earn it extra points with me. I played all game as Eizen though!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    now now the developers explained that it's too hard to program women doing anything other than standing around being objectified since that's all they're capable of in the real world

so let's just put that to bed

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I get that the attitudes towards having a female protag are shitty from that director guy but like, P5 absolutely has good female characters in it.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I get that the attitudes towards having a female protag are shitty from that director guy but like, P5 absolutely has good female characters in it.

Yeah, it makes it all the more grating that they didn't let you have a female MC. Ann is awesome!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    P5 is super slick and stylish. That may be one of my favorite combat menus ever.

On the other hand I'm basically sitting here going, 'I, too, have watched a lot of magical kaito and King of bandit Jing.' so I've yet to be terribly impressed. It started strong so I'm hoping it goes places but I'm... Eh. Not really caring about it after like 4 hours.

Which I know, P4 was a slow burn as well, but there are games out right this moment that nail it in under fifteen minutes. Several hours just feels not great to get the ball going.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I mean yeah. So far P5 is a more stylish P4.

But P4 is one of my favorite jurps of all time.

That said I'm not gonna waste time arguing about which is best between Berseria, Nier, and P5 and just bask in the fact we got a bunch of quality jRPGs in the span of a few months.

That's so rare these days...

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    We just went through this with Horizon and Zelda

They can all be very very good, it doesn't matter which one is the good-est

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    We just went through this with Horizon and Zelda

They can all be very very good, it doesn't matter which one is the good-est

but it's also fine to have a clear preference and to voice that

it make for enjoyable chatting

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Hold on, I haven't actually played Berseria because I'm planning on picking it up on a sale

Does it have a bunch of homophobia and/or transphobia in it? I'm feeling pretty down on picking up games that hate me right now

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hold on, I haven't actually played Berseria because I'm planning on picking it up on a sale

Does it have a bunch of homophobia and/or transphobia in it? I'm feeling pretty down on picking up games that hate me right now

Berseria is about as asexual as every Tales game...I mean Velvet's costume aside.

• Options
    Hey sometimes in Tales games they hold hands.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, spoil that, @LockedOnTarget, I'm at work here

• Options
    edited April 2017
    How long it takes games to "start"(people define this part differently sometimes it's story sometimes it's gameplay) is not a metric of good or bad. It's a design choice that people have preferences on. You can't just say if a game started faster it would be better, because for some people that would actively make the beginning less enjoyable. Also every game shouldn't do everything the same! If every game took off running with a fast start that shit would get old fast(for me). Like hot damn the "OH SHIT" factor loses it's luster when you know that's what to expect.

P5 story wise starts with a bang. Some people don't get pulled in by just the story aspects though and want more gameplay aspects. Neither right nor wrong, just preference!

This has been a PSA on slow starts and the fact that some people like them and prefer them, like me! But like most things I prefer that also doesn't mean that's all I want. Give me variety, I don't want EVERY game to have a slow start even if I prefer it overall.

EDIT: a further note, P5 has legit had the strongest start to any game, for me, that I can even think of. I've never been so instantly wrapped up in a game maybe since I played like, FF8?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I should probably let someone who's finished the whole game field this, but...not that I've seen? And I think I'm pretty far. There's a kind of eye-rolly scene in the intro where teen Velvet is practically flirting with her best friend but then they're both like "I would totally date you if you were a boy haha". My head-canon that Velvet is a closeted lesbian who's been denied the right social space to properly explore it has not really been challenged at all.

There's some dumb casual sexism in a few irrelevant side-conversations (mostly from the awful mascot character whose dialogue I mostly mash through) but nothing that I felt bled into the story or main character interactions.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are some dumb skits on the level of 'boys just don't get girls' or teasing the youth member about how you can't trust women sorts of things.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hey sometimes in Tales games they hold hands.

And sometimes in Tales games they have gay romances.

Sorey/Mikleo was every much as overt as Luke/Tear was.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Got the bad ending in World of Final Fantasy. That was quite the thing. Not quite as great as the use of the bad ending path in Bravely Second, but it's up there.

• Options
    How long it takes games to "start"(people define this part differently sometimes it's story sometimes it's gameplay) is not a metric of good or bad. It's a design choice that people have preferences on. You can't just say if a game started faster it would be better, because for some people that would actively make the beginning less enjoyable. Also every game shouldn't do everything the same! If every game took off running with a fast start that shit would get old fast(for me). Like hot damn the "OH SHIT" factor loses it's luster when you know that's what to expect.

P5 story wise starts with a bang. Some people don't get pulled in by just the story aspects though and want more gameplay aspects. Neither right nor wrong, just preference!

This has been a PSA on slow starts and the fact that some people like them and prefer them, like me! But like most things I prefer that also doesn't mean that's all I want. Give me variety, I don't want EVERY game to have a slow start even if I prefer it overall.

EDIT: a further note, P5 has legit had the strongest start to any game, for me, that I can even think of. I've never been so instantly wrapped up in a game maybe since I played like, FF8?

Good thing I was stating my preference, isn't it?

Your wonderfully condescending post is duly recognized. I'm glad you're enjoying your rehash of the last season of magical kaito so much.

I, on the other, wanted a plot that wasn't a bad interpretation of the plot of a niche anime. Different strokes for different folks though I suppose?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Berseria is about as asexual as every Tales game...I mean Velvet's costume aside.

And you can fix her costume almost literally as soon as it goes problematic.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.