Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    How long it takes games to "start"(people define this part differently sometimes it's story sometimes it's gameplay) is not a metric of good or bad. It's a design choice that people have preferences on. You can't just say if a game started faster it would be better, because for some people that would actively make the beginning less enjoyable. Also every game shouldn't do everything the same! If every game took off running with a fast start that shit would get old fast(for me). Like hot damn the "OH SHIT" factor loses it's luster when you know that's what to expect.

P5 story wise starts with a bang. Some people don't get pulled in by just the story aspects though and want more gameplay aspects. Neither right nor wrong, just preference!

This has been a PSA on slow starts and the fact that some people like them and prefer them, like me! But like most things I prefer that also doesn't mean that's all I want. Give me variety, I don't want EVERY game to have a slow start even if I prefer it overall.

EDIT: a further note, P5 has legit had the strongest start to any game, for me, that I can even think of. I've never been so instantly wrapped up in a game maybe since I played like, FF8?

Good thing I was stating my preference, isn't it?

Your wonderfully condescending post is duly recognized. I'm glad you're enjoying your rehash of the last season of magical kaito so much.

I, on the other, wanted a plot that wasn't a bad interpretation of the plot of a niche anime. Different strokes for different folks though I suppose?

Accuses someone of being condescending and then goes whole hog on being as asshole. Bravo.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    How long it takes games to "start"(people define this part differently sometimes it's story sometimes it's gameplay) is not a metric of good or bad. It's a design choice that people have preferences on. You can't just say if a game started faster it would be better, because for some people that would actively make the beginning less enjoyable. Also every game shouldn't do everything the same! If every game took off running with a fast start that shit would get old fast(for me). Like hot damn the "OH SHIT" factor loses it's luster when you know that's what to expect.

P5 story wise starts with a bang. Some people don't get pulled in by just the story aspects though and want more gameplay aspects. Neither right nor wrong, just preference!

This has been a PSA on slow starts and the fact that some people like them and prefer them, like me! But like most things I prefer that also doesn't mean that's all I want. Give me variety, I don't want EVERY game to have a slow start even if I prefer it overall.

EDIT: a further note, P5 has legit had the strongest start to any game, for me, that I can even think of. I've never been so instantly wrapped up in a game maybe since I played like, FF8?

Good thing I was stating my preference, isn't it?

Your wonderfully condescending post is duly recognized. I'm glad you're enjoying your rehash of the last season of magical kaito so much.

I, on the other, wanted a plot that wasn't a bad interpretation of the plot of a niche anime. Different strokes for different folks though I suppose?

fight fire with fire, eh?

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Can you spoil that? The sales figures aren't a spoiler but
    the other playable characters sure are.

Is it?
    They were all explicitly mentioned as playable in pre-release interviews, previews, etc from the devs.

And if you didn't read those, like say if you were trying to avoid being spoiled or you find them super boring, then yes they absolutely were.

but what if you
    looked at the cover of the game
    I got it on PC. It has no cover.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Only because quoting posts makes blocked users show up so I see what choco posted. I want to make sure that any one else doesn't think that post was meant to be condescending? That was really not my intent at all and was just talking about the subject at hand.

But yea I apologize to anyone else if it came off that way? Not sure if that was an internet lack of tone thing but I really didn't think it seemed like that.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I actually got Besaria today! Looking forward to starting it.

I might get one of the costume DLCs because it basically has Velvet's regular outfit but real clothes.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

I might get one of the costume DLCs because it basically has Velvet's regular outfit but real clothes.

I miss when things like this used to just be event and achievement unlocks in old tales games. They've had some pretty amusing costume packs in the last few games but it's definitely a bit sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I wanted Beseria, but I bought Zestiria because it was only $12.49.

Only an hour in but I think this was not the greatest decision.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Which costume DLC is that? I grabbed 2 of them when I played. The swimsuit one, literally only for eizen's haircut, yes I spent that money ona single haircut and one other one that gave Magilou a nicer looking outfit.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    I wanted Beseria, but I bought Zestiria because it was only $12.49.

Only an hour in but I think this was not the greatest decision.

Yea... Zestiria is... one of the weakest Tales games.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

I miss when things like this used to just be event and achievement unlocks in old tales games. They've had some pretty amusing costume packs in the last few games but it's definitely a bit sad.

They still have in game costumes you get

for the most part they seem to save DLC for the more lore breaking stuff

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

They still have in game costumes you get

for the most part they seem to save DLC for the more lore breaking stuff

I recall some recolors and such, yeah. I admit I'm even part of the problem. That Eva set was really cool! Maybe my bigger complaint is just that bamco over prices the hell out of things. Ugh. I want all the costumes in everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    So is P5 a good jumping on point for the series?

I've never played a Persona game before but I'm very curious and nearly finished Atelier Firis.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2017
    the games are not significantly connected
    except like, the 2 parts of persona 2

and like obviously all the persona 4 spinoff games are tied to persona 4

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

I've never played a Persona game before but I'm very curious and nearly finished Atelier Firis.

Yup

They are completely separate stories and more recent games only incorporate more quality of life improvements.

At worst, you won't recognize a previous party member on a subway poster.

If you've got a pstv or vita then p4 golden is also great but i would go with 5

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

They're all good jumping on points really. They aren't part of any ongoing storyline and all are pretty good and hold their fun

Magic Pink on
  • Options

Yeah.

I'd love to play through Xillia with Milla's Dhaos Cloak (or anything other than the default, but especially that badass Cloak), but not enough to pay extra for it.

• Options
    The Persona games are thematically related, but the actual plots and characters don't really intersect except as cameos or similar. So you're good to jump in at any point. Though the games have generally been mechanically better with each iteration so it's sometimes difficult to go backwards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Thanks! I don't own a Vita so I'll look into getting P5 then.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Since I'm steadily marching towards the Berseria platinum: there are recolors (which are better!) for all the outfits, but they're not different in design. Then there are serving clothes, generic black/white swimwear, various massive mascot suits, and that's about it. Well, and jacket-less versions (which usually make them look worse). Variety shows itself in the accessory/headwear. Stick sideburns and a pompadour on Rokurou and don't look back.

But basically, if you see an outfit in the DLC you really like I would say it's worth the dollar or two because you ain't getting decent options otherwise. Recolors in particular are at the backend.

• Options

Which costume DLC is that? I grabbed 2 of them when I played. The swimsuit one, literally only for eizen's haircut, yes I spent that money ona single haircut and one other one that gave Magilou a nicer looking outfit.

5 I believe. I thinks it's called Legends of Tales and the costumes are based on old Tales games characters?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Since I'm steadily marching towards the Berseria platinum: there are recolors (which are better!) for all the outfits, but they're not different in design. Then there are serving clothes, generic black/white swimwear, various massive mascot suits, and that's about it. Well, and jacket-less versions (which usually make them look worse). Variety shows itself in the accessory/headwear. Stick sideburns and a pompadour on Rokurou and don't look back.

But basically, if you see an outfit in the DLC you really like I would say it's worth the dollar or two because you ain't getting decent options otherwise. Recolors in particular are at the backend.

Yeah, its just depressing to compare to some of the older games at times. Like Symphonia had multiple unique outfits you could unlock for people in various events in game. Abyss had a bunch.

A lot of these DLC packs are things that would have been earned ingame before.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Abyss had a set of sentai costumes and it was the fucking best

the only downside being it was New Game+ only

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Berseria was excellent, Persona 5 is excellent thus far (I have only ever seen Detective Conan in terms of crime anime), and I'm sure Nier is going to be excellent in a mindfuckery-trolling kind of way.

I am simply happy to have such a bumper crop of excellent JRPG's to sink my teeth into for the year.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Ok so I think I'm done with Nier Tomato for now.
    I actually got Ending E last week but didn't play much the part week because I was doing more Dark Souls 3. I didn't delete my save because I wanted to get more stuff in game. I didn't end up 100%ing the game or anything, I just got all endings except for Y because I don't really feel like playing more the upgrade all weapons.

I did do the first Emil fight though. It was weird, he actually bugged out with like 1/5 health left and stop doing anything, then I couldn't hack him at all. Since I was only level 65 I was barely doing any damage so I had to just keep hitting him and eventually the fight ended normally.

I guess mainly I want to start Breath of the Wild now.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

i always love that a thing like record of lodoss war exists

• Options
    I should watch that show again.

Also wait, what?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I've always meant to get around to reading the originals

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Nier Tomato

<3<3<3

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am pretty happy that VRMMORPGs are being worked on. I'm excited for the future.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    What is lodross and should I care?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Lodoss war is a transmedia franchise with decades of history that all started as a group play of a tabletop game

• Options
    Also you're probably an adult if you post on here so it's not my job to make you care

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also you're probably an adult if you post on here so it's not my job to make you care

Okay but what if I hired you to make me care about stuff.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Okay but what if I hired you to make me care about stuff.

A caregiver if you will

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I don't care what you guys say

the "everybody wants to eat Tatsu" joke is great

• Options
    I don't care what you guys say

the "everybody wants to eat Tatsu" joke is great

All it does is make me want to punch Lin in the face.

Maybe, as a general joke revolving around Nopons interacting with alien races, it would have a chance. But the way it's done with Lin in particular reads like a character (and writer) just not knowing when to stop.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Go for it, Mitsuda

Conquer the world...!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I dunno

My main problems with Xenoblade definitely aren't "it's not big enough"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Mitsuda's the composer, not the director. He's referring to how recording the soundtrack involved 150 people and they're trying to top XC's soundtrack specifically

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Mitsuda's the composer, not the director. He's referring to how recording the soundtrack involved 150 people and they're trying to top XC's soundtrack specifically

Ah okay, it's about team size and workload in general

I knew he was the composer, but I thought it was implying, like, "yo there are going to be so many more tracks!"

Which usually indicates a lot more things for those tracks to be paired with

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.