Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant!

People are theorizing there are more tracks based on something he said in a Facebook post, and that a lot of the game's tracks may be specific to particular cutscenes? I dunno, I guess we'll see.

Regardless, even if Xenoblade has problems I don't think its soundtrack was among them, so having the composer try specifically to surpass that aspect of the game is exciting to me.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    There are a lot of reasons to make more tracks

more tracks per area for different weather or times of day or area based battle themes

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    One thing i'm missing in Cold Steel 2 that was there in 1 is weirdly that i'm allowed to take whatever mix (technically) of available characters I want with me on these missions. It's nice to be able to run with my preferred setup yes, but also that means there are going to be certain characters who just get left behind. If I had had that same option in 1 i'd never have grown to like Fie, for instance, because i'd just have never taken her with me at all.

But this also means that i'm not going to see any character growth she gets in this game because sorry, Elliot is great and Machias' abilities are too damn useful, stay and watch the town I guess.

At least so far. I'm assuming there's going to be something big that happens once I get the band back together and we'll see how it is structured then.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    There are a lot of reasons to make more tracks

more tracks per area for different weather or times of day or area based battle themes

Yeah. It would allow more diversity of music - I think most major boss battles all had the same music running. Good as it is, it would be neat if Metal Face got his own theme (did he? Can't remember). But it lets you do things like that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    What is lodross and should I care?

Lodoss, originally, is a series about how you wish badass D&D high fantasy campaigns actually were.
    (Slayers is a series about how they actually are 95% of the time.)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

Lodoss, originally, is a series about how you wish badass D&D high fantasy campaigns actually were.

this is a REALLY GOOD ANALOGY

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Aistan wrote: »
    One thing i'm missing in Cold Steel 2 that was there in 1 is weirdly that i'm allowed to take whatever mix (technically) of available characters I want with me on these missions. It's nice to be able to run with my preferred setup yes, but also that means there are going to be certain characters who just get left behind. If I had had that same option in 1 i'd never have grown to like Fie, for instance, because i'd just have never taken her with me at all.

But this also means that i'm not going to see any character growth she gets in this game because sorry, Elliot is great and Machias' abilities are too damn useful, stay and watch the town I guess.

At least so far. I'm assuming there's going to be something big that happens once I get the band back together and we'll see how it is structured then.

There are a couple points in the story where all characters are auto leveled to the ideal level for the current dungeon. This is only for any below that level. Anyone you have that might be one or two above it will stay as is.

So in the end no one will be under powered as long as you have money for gear and orbs.

Viskod on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular

Pacifist Crush!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm the lawyer for Atlus, and fortunately, you are all going to jail.

I wish it could be different, but that's what you get for video games.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Okay, but is it a spirit jail that exists between dimensions where we can fuse demons to do our bidding?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    It's kind of impressive that Yoko Taro made a game where every ship is good

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Okay, but is it a spirit jail that exists between dimensions where we can fuse demons to do our bidding?
    It is a real jail made out of concrete.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Can you curse the real jail

• Options
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Can you curse the real jail

a real jail?

sssssss, eeeeeeh

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

I dunno, Romeo and Juliet seemed bad for each other.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Not to mention that one sidequest:
    With the wandering couple.
    She brainwiped him 6 times!
    6 times!

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Yeah but Juliet is super strong

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    - Trails in the Sky 3rd on May 3
    - Trails of Cold Steel coming to PC this Summer (w/ 5000 more voiced lines (will not be added to PS3/Vita versions))
    - Cold Steel 2 at a later date

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I know nothing about the characters in the game, but that checks out. I can think of only one time where a Romeo Juliet allusion actually worked out as a couple.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    - Trails in the Sky 3rd on May 3
    - Trails of Cold Steel coming to PC this Summer (w/ 5000 more voiced lines (will not be added to PS3/Vita versions))

Was hoping for PS4 release but this is just as good.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuck.

They are going to announce Cold Steel 3 for PC and i'm going to buy these games again to import the save aren't I.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    5000 more voiced lines? that sounds expensive as fuck

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I know nothing about the characters in the game, but that checks out. I can think of only one time where a Romeo Juliet allusion actually worked out as a couple.

The Citizen Kane of our generation, Gnomeo and Juliet?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Welp. Beat the story of WOFF. It was one of those endgames where I felt kind of underpowered up until the moment I won. I'll have to do some training if I want to do these bonus areas. But anyway, that was a fun time. I'd be happy to see a sequel some day (plenty of loose ends to expand on), or to see these characters in other games.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

It sounds like XSeed/Marvelous (and Falcom) believe in the series in the west.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Alright, pretty much over Ringed City/Yet another DS3 playthough. Now to go back and continue Automata, Andromeda and Zelda. I might be ready to start P5 sometime in May.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Probably the majority of them are Rean's lines that were left silent in the original. So, still expensive, but just one guy rather than the whole crew.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anybody play Wanderjahr? It looks kind of interesting.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I just unlocked the pet collection missions in XCX, which is just one more way in which this game is just completely charming. It really feels like a lived in world, with actual other characters, who have their own motivations and change over time, and I'm having a hard time thinking of another game that compares in that respect. I guess I remember people talking about the Trails games in that way, but I haven't played that yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So here at the end of chapter 1 in Cold Steel 2 and so far it's continuing to draw more and more from the well of bullshit that suffused Trails of the Sky.

Every single act break ends the same way. Run into some assholes, fight them, win, "I wasn't even using my true power!", lose in a cutscene, contrived bullshit happens to get you out of it, repeat. Repeat. Re-goddamn-peat.

What I loved about the first game was that there wasn't any all-powerful enemy waiting in the shadows for us to struggle to become strong enough to face. They were just normal-ass anime students at a fantasy military school, going about their normal routines and touring the countryside. Now it's nothing but bleak melodrama and enemies infinitely more powerful than them, able to see anywhere they want, go anywhere they want, and teleport anyone anywhere at will.

Also the chapter 1 ending was the exact same thing that happened at the end of the prologue. Re-fucking-peat.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    fuggit

NWK on
    Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    It's quite the rollercoaster with this game. Things are looking up again after the relatively strong end to the intermission. Hopefully now that all that setup is behind us it keeps this level of quality on to the end.

I think the lows are mostly as low as they are because I cannot care at all about any of the villains. The only ones in the positive column are the two jaegers and that's probably just due to their relationship with Fie. All the others range from eye-rollingly tryhard (McBurn), to so irritating I eye the fast-forward button each time they appear (knight girl, evil magic 8 year-old).

(Actually I did fast-forward through the evil magic 8 year-old's scene in the intermission. I have no interest in or patience for anything about that character.)

Then we also learned the tragic backstory of our azure knight pilot... sheesh.
    My hometown was FORCED into being ECONOMICALLY PROSPEROUS! My grandfather opposed this and was MADE TO RETIRE! Then later he died of an UNRELATED ILLNESS because of OLD AGE!

The man responsible for these atrocities must die!

What a whiny, self-righteous pile of shit. Why do any of these people still like him and want him back in the class?

Anyway, sorry. It's such a good series with characters I like a lot that it's super frustrating when they dip into the same old annoying tropes I hate. They've shown they can be better than that. I hope from this point forward it remains so.

Aistan on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Oh man, I thought Duvalie was the most entertaining villain in the game.

And I don't know how you got that reading of the "tragic backstory". That's not at all what I got from it.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Aistan I'm with you on most of that.

I think they have some cool stuff going on in them but man do they get oversold as something special.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    It's quite the rollercoaster with this game. Things are looking up again after the relatively strong end to the intermission. Hopefully now that all that setup is behind us it keeps this level of quality on to the end.

I think the lows are mostly as low as they are because I cannot care at all about any of the villains. The only ones in the positive column are the two jaegers and that's probably just due to their relationship with Fie. All the others range from eye-rollingly tryhard (McBurn), to so irritating I eye the fast-forward button each time they appear (knight girl, evil magic 8 year-old).

(Actually I did fast-forward through the evil magic 8 year-old's scene in the intermission. I have no interest in or patience for anything about that character.)

My hometown was FORCED into being ECONOMICALLY PROSPEROUS! My grandfather opposed this and was MADE TO RETIRE! Then later he died of an UNRELATED ILLNESS because of OLD AGE!

What a whiny, self-righteous pile of shit. Why do any of these people still like him and want him back in the class?

Anyway, sorry. It's such a good series with characters I like a lot that it's super frustrating when they dip into the same old annoying tropes I hate. They've shown they can be better than that. I hope from this point forward it remains so.

I don't see how that was your interpretation of his backstory.
    chancellor osborn committed a political assassination of Crow's grandfather to let Erebonia annex additional territory. In anime fashion this lead to his death. Crow also knows that he has no other way to get back at Osborn so murder it is.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dragon Quest XI has a date in Japan now!

July 29th

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Romancing Saga 2 And 3 confirmed for Western release apparently?

https://mobile.twitter.com/SaGa25kawazu/status/851792210731204613

I am hype.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.