Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    I will admit that the GS was rough in KH1, but that shit was fun as hell by the time KH2 came around.

It's...different, at least?

Like at least you didn't have to worry about hitting shit because of a bad camera perspective

It was still a shitty rail shooter plopped into mandatory sequences in the middle of a JRPG
    If you could excise the gummi ship stages and drop in a shmup of your choosing, would that solve the problem?

Bit of a false dichotomy. I'm sure there are a bunch of people who would prefer to excise gummi ships and replace them with nothing.

Personally, I like the KHII version and hate the KHI version, but I ain't gonna find fault with anyone who hates both.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I will admit that the GS was rough in KH1, but that shit was fun as hell by the time KH2 came around.

Like at least you didn't have to worry about hitting shit because of a bad camera perspective

It was still a shitty rail shooter plopped into mandatory sequences in the middle of a JRPG
    If you could excise the gummi ship stages and drop in a shmup of your choosing, would that solve the problem?

Finally,The Touhou and Kingdom Hearts crossover I've been pining for.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

No

Just pick your next destination from a menu

That's about the extent of its engagement to me anyways, it's just also needlessly making my eyes glaze over for a couple minutes as I fire at random targets

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I ordered Bravely Default from Amazon and I hope it gets here before I fly to London on Thursday. I know the big twist but I'm in a juror playing mood.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    As a lore thing, the Gummi Ship is amusing in the manga. Infinite smile based propulsion is suddenly a huge problem if everyone on board is down in the dumps. As gameplay, the Square team was pretty badly incompetent about putting such a forced out of place thing in the way of progression.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

Finally,The Touhou and Kingdom Hearts crossover I've been pining for.

I have that doujinshi

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Basically I want to do this.

HhbbREL.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Well I just finished my slow, slow burn through Nier Automata route A. At this rate I'll see all the main routes by sometime next year!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Bit of a false dichotomy. I'm sure there are a bunch of people who would prefer to excise gummi ships and replace them with nothing.

Personally, I like the KHII version and hate the KHI version, but I ain't gonna find fault with anyone who hates both.

The KH2 version was great as hell while the KH1 version was boring as shit. I'd seriously play a game that was just the KH2 Gummi Ship mechanics expanded to fill a full game.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I didn't really like the gummi ship stuff in either game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well I just finished my slow, slow burn through Nier Automata route A. At this rate I'll see all the main routes by sometime next year!

A good use of a year, that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Can you spoil that? The sales figures aren't a spoiler but
    the other playable characters sure are.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

AW CRAP

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

AW CRAP

It's not as spoilery as you might think.

But yeah, it'd be nice to let that be a surprise.

• Options
    I don't know what to do about DQH2. I love the idea but I really did not like the first one at all.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Ugh, the P5 localization looks like it's a shitshow.

I'm talking about unreadable, incomplete sentences, phrases that retain Japanese sentence structure, and literal translation of common phrases.

Example:
    MC is on a treadmill, and Morgana says: "All right, let's be mindful of your pace. You don't want to make the same mistake last time."

^That's not a mistake on my part. That's what it says. It's in the release trailer. What the fuck.

I'm just frustrated. This is a series known for its writing, among other things, and if they botched the localization (and it seems like they did) then that's a shame. 8 years, and this is what we get.

Renzo on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I tried to find more info on the translation stuff you're talking about and mostly saw the same old shit we see after every translation of every Japanese game.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Is it?
    They were all explicitly mentioned as playable in pre-release interviews, previews, etc from the devs.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Is it?
    They were all explicitly mentioned as playable in pre-release interviews, previews, etc from the devs.

And if you didn't read those, like say if you were trying to avoid being spoiled or you find them super boring, then yes they absolutely were.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I tried to find more info on the translation stuff you're talking about and mostly saw the same old shit we see after every translation of every Japanese game.

This is different from whining about Nintendo Treehouse doing the good work they always do.

I'm talking about stuff that looks like first drafts, unfinished work, etc.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ugh, the P5 localization looks like it's a shitshow.

I'm talking about unreadable, incomplete sentences, phrases that retain Japanese sentence structure, and literal translation of common phrases.

Example:
    MC is on a treadmill, and Morgana says: "All right, let's be mindful of your pace. You don't want to make the same mistake last time."

^That's not a mistake on my part. That's what it says. It's in the release trailer. What the fuck.

I'm just frustrated. This is a series known for its writing, among other things, and if they botched the localization (and it seems like they did) then that's a shame. 8 years, and this is what we get.

Thanks to the magic of the human brain that normally fills stuff like that in without you noticing I would probably never notice anything like that in game unless it was pointed out. Gogo human brain!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    A typo in a few rare lines amongst hundreds of thousands is not a "shitshow".

I've been playing for hours. The localization is good and fine.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

This is different from whining about Nintendo Treehouse doing the good work they always do.

I'm talking about stuff that looks like first drafts, unfinished work, etc.

I get that but when I look for examples all I get is the typical grumbleglorp nonsense.

• Options
    A typo in a few rare lines amongst hundreds of thousands is not a "shitshow".

I've been playing for hours. The localization is good and fine.

That's good to hear. I'm hoping the examples I'm seeing are exceptions rather than the norm.

I wasn't about to cancel my preorder or anything.

But man, leading off with lines like these is not a good look.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hell even Berseria got a good dose of mangled localization at times. Overall was still fine though.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Is it?

And if you didn't read those, like say if you were trying to avoid being spoiled or you find them super boring, then yes they absolutely were.

but what if you
    looked at the cover of the game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    now that I've gotten a little further in XCX I am remembering how much I enjoyed it

doing the affinity quests, getting all attached to the various party members, listening to the ridiculous music, just sinking into a sea of obtuse gameplay mechanics

this is a good game

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean

nier didn't wear a blindfold, so he still has that option

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I mean

Just a really, really weird eyepatch.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Madican wrote: »
    Hell even Berseria got a good dose of mangled localization at times. Overall was still fine though.

Maybe its just cause I'm getting older but a lot of the things gamer folks call travesties these days are just like...mild annoyances to me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    After playing for a bit, the P5 localization seems mostly fine. Those lines I saw are still there, but among everything else, they don't stand out so much. Seeing those screenshots over and over again was was definitely causing some echo chamber effect.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    After playing for a bit, the P5 localization seems mostly fine. Those lines I saw are still there, but among everything else, they don't stand out so much. Seeing those screenshots over and over again was was definitely causing some echo chamber effect.

Also Morgana just talks weird

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

I mean

I'm envisaging something more like nier in kaine's outfit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean

his outfit wasn't literally lingerie, but dude was beefcakey as hell

• Options

I mean

his outfit wasn't literally lingerie, but dude was beefcakey as hell

we can go farther, and thus we must

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    alternately have beefcake man protagonist be wearing a normal business suit but with the ass and upper inner thigh regions removed

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.