As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I have a used HK universal kit that's been surprisingly handy for both 9mm and 7.62 which is presently all I own anyways

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    What’s a good belt and pouch manufacturer? Now that I can’t shoot for a few months I might as well pick up a belt to make 2-gun matches easier when everything gets back to normal. I was looking at the Blue Alpha Gear one since it seems pretty well reviewed. I’m assuming things have advanced way past the old double magazine velcro pouches I used a decade ago.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    What’s a good belt and pouch manufacturer? Now that I can’t shoot for a few months I might as well pick up a belt to make 2-gun matches easier when everything gets back to normal. I was looking at the Blue Alpha Gear one since it seems pretty well reviewed. I’m assuming things have advanced way past the old double magazine velcro pouches I used a decade ago.

Esstac makes great pouches and a solid inner/outer belt. I can post pictures of my set up?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Sure! Any tips are good!

• Options
    Sure! Any tips are good!

iaf6h12egob9.jpeg

The one on the right is the inner velcro. The one with pouches is the outer Velcro with cobra buckle, which is nice. Stiff belt, doesn’t move. You can draw and dry fire and reholster with confidence. I’ve worn it at the ranch messing around working and it didn’t get in the way except for getting in and out of the truck and that’s only the holster hitting the seat belt.

100% would buy again. The pouches are great, retention is great. Those are 17 round mags for reference. I’ve got an AR mag pouch if I wanted to run that for a comp.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    12 gauge buckshot is still sold out everywhere :x

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

That in depth report pdf is worth looking at, quite good those Ares people

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'd still build a Luty instead. No special tools, no reliance on parts manufactured by someone else, you only have to know how to braze, which isn't difficult. All you need is access to a hardware store.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I would recommend (for the audience, I'm sure you already thought about this/know this) training/competing with gear you're actually going to use if you ever had to use it. If velcro flap closures are what you would use instead of e.g. taco style friction pouches then use what you're probably going to actually use.

In the last ten years there has been some quality gear being produced.
    I'd still build a Luty instead. No special tools, no reliance on parts manufactured by someone else, you only have to know how to braze, which isn't difficult. All you need is access to a hardware store.

With the FGC9 2nd gen all you need is a 3d printer and a diy electroplating setup for the barrel. It is effectively the end of gun control and soon you will see the usual suspects start pushing harder on information control than they already are.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ehh, 3d printing something that works is trickier than most people realise. And I consider the use of "unregulated parts" to be kinda cheating as if those parts became regulated then it's no longer a easy to build gun. Whereas the Luty is nearly entirely made from scratch. I'm sure 3d printing will advance to the point of one day being able to do the things people expect it to do, but at the moment you're likely to be spending nearly as much time getting a 3d gun working as you are getting a self made gun working (talking about guns with magazines here). The FCG is a gimmick imo, just like the liberator before it. If firearm parts can be used then you might as well just 3d print an AR15 lower, it's easy and simple to do and most of the important parts are self contained drop in parts. People already make AR15 lowers from ridiculous materials like wood or plastic.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I would recommend (for the audience, I'm sure you already thought about this/know this) training/competing with gear you're actually going to use if you ever had to use it. If velcro flap closures are what you would use instead of e.g. taco style friction pouches then use what you're probably going to actually use.

In the last ten years there has been some quality gear being produced.

With the FGC9 2nd gen all you need is a 3d printer and a diy electroplating setup for the barrel. It is effectively the end of gun control and soon you will see the usual suspects start pushing harder on information control than they already are.

I don’t know if this was about my belt rig but I do wear it for the comps I’ve done. Which are about as low speed high drag as you can get.

• Options
    It's been fairly extensively troubleshooted (no pun intended) by the people working on it. It's not really that mew, there are a few core people who have been working on and testing builds for more than a year now and posting weekly update videos with total round counts.

The Luty is simple, but if 3d printing keeps pushing there may come a time relatively soon where the only thing you need to do is form the trigger and hammer springs and everything else will be available at the push of a button. Polymer 3d printing has gotten ridiculously cheap (and with the Ghost Gunner so has home CNC) since it started becoming a home consumer level technology. I don't think it is improbable that home CNC and potentially metal printing will follow a similar path.

What I think it will come down to is a further attempt to control access to technology and information.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ghost Gunner is pretty good example, they were originally focused on 3d printing, but they swapped to CNC because it is better.

• Options
    @Dead Legend I actually wrote that draft before you replied and never posted it. It was more general advice about thinking out what you will actually use and training with it i.e. train how you fight (or compete). I generally have that attitude when it comes to other things like martial arts and I think it's an important consideration that is hampered by the prior conversation up thread about range limitations.

• Options
    Gotcha, big believer in shooting your guns and testing your gear. Especially larping in the house. My cats think I’m awesome and my wife thinks I’m a dipshit.

3D printing is legit. Manufacturing your own firearms is legit. Keep doing cool stuff.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    ZAroJBah.jpg?1

Joke's a couple of months in the making, they've usually got a Dole or Whole Foods sticker on 'em

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Looks like it's time to make some banana bread.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    You could say those bullets come in bunches.

• Options
    @MegaMan001 and anybody else that might be new to firearms

https://youtu.be/JiE1pUXEAHM

I think ol Paul does a fine job in this presentation.

• Options
    I watched it last night, it was a really good video. I think his point about just how complex the manual of arms can get going from a break action shotgun to a pump/slide action shotgun was great.

• Options
    Sort of gun related, meet Ruger

4qigu33avu0y.jpeg

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm at almost 9 months into the wait for my Nomad-30 and getting antsy.

I found a patch of land in a rural part of the state where I can shoot my .22, though. I'll definitely be making it out that way this weekend.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am now legally permitted to purchase handguns in my state!

Made an appointment with the guy who did my original two hours of training on Monday to go through handgun options for my first purchase.

My plan was something 9mm due to my first time and ammunition being plentiful? This is entirely for home defense and practice so I'm not interested in concealment or what have you.

I've only shot the .22 Glock and the Glock 17 so I figured I would stay in that wheelhouse.

Any suggestions? Depending on what they have for available security / gun safes I may not buy anything.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I am now legally permitted to purchase handguns in my state!

Made an appointment with the guy who did my original two hours of training on Monday to go through handgun options for my first purchase.

My plan was something 9mm due to my first time and ammunition being plentiful? This is entirely for home defense and practice so I'm not interested in concealment or what have you.

I've only shot the .22 Glock and the Glock 17 so I figured I would stay in that wheelhouse.

Any suggestions? Depending on what they have for available security / gun safes I may not buy anything.

The Glock 17 is a solid and proven choice. So is the 19, it's slightly smaller cousin. Both are chambered in 9 mm.

Glocks are a whole have a reputation for being reliable and and robust. Even the people who aren't fans of them will acknowledge that.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    You need to try a couple at the shop to see what feels good in your hand at least. I would suggest going to a range and renting a couple different brands and models to see what feels good shooting in your hand.

9mm is a good cartridge to start with because it's one of the most common handgun cartridges and you can find a variety of ammo from cheap steel case range ammo to really good expensive defensive ammo. I would suggest buying a couple boxes of whatever defensive ammo you think about using and shooting at least one box of it to see how your gun handles it.

If you liked the feel of the Glock you can stick with it and have your choice of a variety of cartridge and size options. Other possible similar options: Walther PPQ (personal favorite, quite a bit different from the Glock in a few ways, especially the first gen PPQs), Springfield XD series, Smith and Wesson M&P series, many models of CZ handguns, the Canik pistols are really good in my limited experience with them, the new Beretta APX series etc.

A bit higher in price and you're looking at H&K or a bit lower at Ruger American or Security 9. You can also keep your eye out for police trade-in Glocks for good prices. But right now I think you're more likely to find those in .40 S&W.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I used to hate Glocks. Turns out I really was just awful with a handgun.

Now, the number one excuse for me was I didn’t like how it felt in my hand but then I started working at handgun shooting and learned how it feels doesn’t really make a difference. Yes, some guns may ergonomically feel better for you, but with the right grip you can run anything adequately.

Edit: it took quite a bit of learning by doing which at the time involved a lot of dry fire watching YouTube and then having goals at the range so I just didn’t waste a ton of ammo. I still wasted a lot, but I also got better too. Classes would have been smart.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ordered a new gun. Seller says they are waiting for the FFL to email them, FFL says they are waiting for the seller. So, who do I need to remind that I am a paying customer, and shouldn't have to deal with this?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The FFL should just mail them a copy of their license. It shouldn't even be a thing. "Hey I bought a gun from *place* can you email them a copy of your license." I've never had it work any other way. Sometimes the seller will want specific info in the email like your name and the order number.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    The only thing you can really do is keep calling both of them. I had a similar issue with a rifle I ordered last year. The first few months were spent getting the FFL info to the vendor and continuously calling to see if they had it yet. I would call my FFL, have them fax it, wait a week or two and call the manufacturer only to be told "We don't have it, are you sure they faxed it?". I was also explicitly told it was my responsibility to make sure they got the FFL info no matter how many times I had my FFL fax it to them, including while I was there in person watching them do it.

Then another few months constantly getting the run around about it ("It should be there next week", "we sent it out it should be there any time now", "oh, well it turns out we just sent it out it will be there next week) from the customer service "guy" until I ended up calling one day and getting the owner and getting it straightened out. I was not the only customer this happened to, as explained by the owner, and the customer service "guy" was fired apparently between the last two times I called.

It's an outlier of an experience for me, but for some reason it seems like with especially small online manufacturers and retailers they just have terrible customer service more often than other industries.

• Options
    I try to look up FFL info and send it to seller if that info is available and send the FFL my order number and item ordered so there is no confusion.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Argh, this is turning into a nightmare frankly. I found a gunsmith to work on my glock to do a trigger swap and internal polish and it's been nearly 3 weeks now with no update on my gun. I call on Saturday asking what the heck is going on and the guy tells me his clerk didn't even notify him that the gun was in for work and he was so busy that he hadn't even started on it. I really need to simply learn and figure this stuff out for myself because this waiting game only to find out it was sitting in some storeroom somewhere collecting dust for nothing is frankly pretty infuriating.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If I live in Pennsylvania, USA, and wish to build an AR-15 in 300 blackout, how much should I budget?

It would be neat to construct a sleek retro style rifle that looks similar to the early AR-15s, without the forward assist

A removable carry handle would be cool

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Aero makes an assist-less AR upper for sure, and they're at the apex of optimal quality:price ratio

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    If I live in Pennsylvania, USA, and wish to build an AR-15 in 300 blackout, how much should I budget?

It would be neat to construct a sleek retro style rifle that looks similar to the early AR-15s, without the forward assist

A removable carry handle would be cool

You may have some difficulty finding that specific combination, since you're mixing old (M16A1 with no FA, triangle handguards) with new (M16A3 railed upper)

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I think it would be cool to make a rifle that looks similar to the little CAR-15/XM177/ M-16K

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    You and me both. Gotta live out those Heat fantasies at the range. Word of caution, you should get happy right now with "eh, close enough" because you won't find original uppers for less than $Texas (or more than I would pay, anyway) and the small black stock is a rare and now expensive item as well.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Aero makes an assist-less AR upper for sure, and they're at the apex of optimal quality:price ratio

Agreed. My 300 BLK SBR has their M4E1 upper and lower and I couldn't be happier with it.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    You can do a decent budget build for around $600. $50-80 for the lower, same amount-ish for a slick side railed upper, $150-200 for a good 16" barrel but you can find cheap ones for under $100 too, $100ish for a bolt, $50-60 for a standard lower parts kit, the generic milspec 6 position stock with tube, buffer and spring shouldn't cost more than $50-60, but you should get a 300 blackout specific spring for it too, another $20 or so. Generic A2 flash hider, $7. Carry handles with the rear sight are kind of all over the place, from like, $30 to $120+. A2 front sight gas block should be $30ish. Barrel nut and various spare pins and springs because you will lose some, $20. Round polymer handguard and assorted parts for it, $50 ish. Gas tube $10. If you prowl Midway, Brownells, Primary Arms etc. and only buy pieces when stuff's on sale you could probably knock $100 off the total price.

If you want the actual length of the XM177, you'll need to go with a pistol brace and a 10.5 or 11.5 inch barrel unless you want to really have a clone and go through the form 1 SBR process and getting your tax stamp to have a real stock on it. Also the extended flash suppressor they use is considered an actual suppressor and regulated as such, so getting that would be yet another tax stamp.

Also, tools. Barrel wrench, punches, vise block etc, probably another $75-100. And a torque wrench, if you really want to get the barrel nut right.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I want to build out an AR15 now that I bought my AK (.30 cal lyfeeeeeee) and I dig .300 blackout in it (or even x39 mutants) but I'll just do it original in 5.56

Still need to get the LPVO and mount for my AK, and at that point I guess I'll buy a dot, put that on the AK and swap out the LPVO onto the AR15

• Options
    Thanks for the info, y'all

A rough budget range will be helpful. I'm relieved it can be done for less a grand.

I'm currently sinking all kinds of money into archery, but at some point in the future, I want to build an AR

Thanks