As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: YOU MANIACS!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    No monsters? Totoro scares the shit out of my 4-year-old.

The nice thing about Totoro is that he's somewhat menacing on sight, but a big softie in how he acts. The Chewbacca effect.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

The nice thing about Totoro is that he's somewhat menacing on sight, but a big softie in how he acts. The Chewbacca effect.

I'm not sure that my kid has reached the second part yet...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    In Persona 5, there is a dungeon you can explore that is a manifestation of the collective unconsciousness of Japan.

It's too big to explore on foot, but your talking cat party member is like, "That's okay, for some reason, people accept the idea of cats as vehicles" and transforms into a bus for the rest of the party to ride in.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Totoro rips your arm off?

I'm grateful for MNT just for Persona 5's catbus jokes.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    TF3 was kind of an improvement over 2, granted, it's mainly because they ripped the plot from two different storylines in the G1 cartoon and offed the two ministrel bots offscreen.

4 though, wow.

On the one hand, no Sam - on the other, the Romeo and Juliet scene. Sam is such a bad character I'll take Cypher Raige or whatever his name is over him.

Cade yaeger. Whenever I read it I double take because there is no way they actually named a character in a movie that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I like TF1 and I don't know why. I think maybe it was just the novelty of live action Transformers on the big screen. Everyone in the theater was genuinely excited to see it too. There was a similar effect with The Phantom Menace that made me think it was a better movie than it really was the first time I saw it.

The sequels are definitely trash, though. TF2 was just fucking stupid and offensive. TF3 was so damn boring and incomprehensible I fell asleep in the middle of it. Haven't bothered with TF4 or 5.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Transformers 1 was a flawed film that had some promise.

But rather than try to improve on what worked or could have worked, they just doubled down on all the worst parts of the first film, and just kept digging deeper and deeper.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I really liked Transformers 1. I didn't like the almost indistinguishable designs for a lot of them, just a mish mash of jagged metal, but I liked the premise, I liked the CGI (I dont know if it still holds up), even the music was pretty good, the Transformers theme is more inspiring than the Wonder Woman theme. Liked the ending to. It's a really solid film IMO, not oscar worthy but fun and good and rewatchable. The rest can get fucked, but Michael Bay will probably watch them getting fucked and them cast them in his next film.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The mish-mash of jagged metal design really spoiled the whole thing for me. The Transformers of my childhood looked like cars. Big, clunky and robotic. The transformations would have looked fantastic in CGI.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    The helicopter attack scene to start the TF1 is still how I confirm I've hooked up my surround sound right each time I move. The noise the windows make when they all burst and the deep bass of the gun cannon make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The first Transformers was stupid but watchable, is what I think people are getting at.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I really can't believe we've talked about Transformers here so much today, especially since we all seem to be in agreement on it being a completely shit franchise

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Instead, let's talk about how psyched we are for Baby Driver this week.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

sooooooo psyched

with, like, 5% worry about patriarchal norms

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I am not at all excited for Baby Driver. I assume
    any Edgar Wright movie will be quite good, and I'll certainly see it, but the concept doesn't excite me at all really.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    After the disappointment of the World's End I want to like Baby Driver but am hedging my bets, I think the action will be hella solid but the dull lead actor/actress combo from the trailers makes it seem like I'm being set up for a bait and switch.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am confused about what you think qualifies as a bait and switch.

• Options
    less an action movie, more a teen star crossed lovers movie only with presumably a better soundtrack.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I am confused about what you think qualifies as a bait and switch.

What if there's barely any babies driving?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Disappointment for worlds end? Man that's my favorite movie they did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm Wright power rankings

Hot Fuzz
    Scott Pilgrim
    Shaun of the Dead
    World's End

World's End starts off interesting, but after that good bathroom fight it just wanders, I really don't care for Pegg's character as it continues, the villains were meh and the big ending talk felt like it fumbled what it wanted to say about everything. I don't' know how much of it was Wright writing about himself getting older but that's what it felt like and it was all just a meh movie.

• Options
    Pilgrim and World's End are two I'm in no hurry to ever revisit, while I've seen Shaun and Hot Fuzz numerous times.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm Wright power rankings

Hot Fuzz
    Scott Pilgrim
    Shaun of the Dead
    World's End

World's End starts off interesting, but after that good bathroom fight it just wanders, I really don't care for Pegg's character as it continues, the villains were meh and the big ending talk felt like it fumbled what it wanted to say about everything. I don't' know how much of it was Wright writing about himself getting older but that's what it felt like and it was all just a meh movie.

This from the guy who backs the fallen movies. Armond White confirmed!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm still nerd-mad that for being the "green" movie of his Cornetto trilogy, World's End has the aliens blue blooded with blue lighting everywhere.

It's a pretty alright movie, though. The weakest of the trilogy, certainly.

• Options
    which is ironic coming from me because The World's End has fallen to the bottom of that chart!

• Options
    You hurt me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Pilgrim and World's End are two I'm in no hurry to ever revisit, while I've seen Shaun and Hot Fuzz numerous times.

Pilgrim could have been mich better if they had cast someone else as Scott.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    While worlds end has a lot to say as a film it's lacking as a comedy* and selling it as that made it a lot weaker.

*its funny, but it's not a comedy.

Pilgrim is an almost perfect movie. Edit: and the casting was perfect

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGU2dBKEj50

They basically say it's a tums festival.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Seeing it on Sunday with director Q&A at the Drafthouse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I dunno about the overall quality, but I'd certainly have been more likely to see it

As it stands, I have not seen Scott Pilgrim, and have to plans to do so.

Michael Cera is an automatic No Thanks.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

I dunno about the overall quality, but I'd certainly have been more likely to see it

You're really missing out by letting Cera keep you from seeing the movie.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »

You're really missing out by letting Cera keep you from seeing the movie.

I would agree. It's overall pretty good. Cera is just the most significant weakness.

• Options
    oh yeah?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    After the disappointment of the World's End I want to like Baby Driver but am hedging my bets, I think the action will be hella solid but the dull lead actor/actress combo from the trailers makes it seem like I'm being set up for a bait and switch.

But it stars your best friend and favorite actor Ansel Elgort!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

They never actually casted anyone for Scott. Michael Cera just wandered into the wrong studio and said he was in it cause he felt awkward. No one wanted to make it more awkward so they just rolled with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oh yeah?

You just have to like video games a whole bunch, but since you're here, I assume that demographic is acceptable.

• Options
    oh yeah?

You just have to like video games a whole bunch, but since you're here, I assume that demographic is acceptable.

oh yeah?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    oh yeah?

oh yeah?

Knock it off.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I don't like it, and I do like video games.
    I think that living in a video game, subject to video game rules, would be literally hellish.
    Nothing I've seen or heard of Scott Pilgrim has changed my mind on this.

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.