As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

vengeance is [chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Damnit, the secret is out

C-97hcYW0AERCOz.jpg:small

This conspiracy speaks to me as I've just started playing Fallout 4, a game where you can make an automated machine gun turret out of parts taken from a radio, a street lamp, and a baby crib.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    This spare iphone's battery is even worse than my broken one was. It shuts down completely at 37%...

If I replace the battery should it work like normal right away? Or is there some sort of breaking-in period where I have to cycle it a few times? Because I leave tonight and would really like a working phone.

not a good time to do iphone surgery then

even battery calibration will take the whole day

I'd pop down to the street and consider a second-hand device. or even a new one, since your phone(s) are borked anyway

Oh no :(

Battery calibration being fully cycling it?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    A list of Phil's greatest hits.

Some are genuinely funny. Others are an old man shouting at clouds, or foreigners.

The country's old racist drunk grandad

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Damnit, the secret is out

C-97hcYW0AERCOz.jpg:small

This conspiracy speaks to me as I've just started playing Fallout 4, a game where you can make an automated machine gun turret out of parts taken from a radio, a street lamp, and a baby crib.

Yeah but who even bothers with machine gun turrets

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello Swedish saboteurs.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2017
    aside from the nose bleeds, the haze of drugs, a highly regimented med schedule, and the soon to be copious amount of blood drawn, being on medical leave isn't that bad. I do say this before I've been stuck with needles yet, of course.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    I think I'll try it. Don't have the bank to get a new one now.

I can download the boarding pass to the ipad just in case. Otherwise I should be okay without the phone during the first day in the worst case.

And just hope that there's nothing wrong with the repair and new battery physically of course.

What a hassle.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    aside from the nose bleeds, the haze of drugs, a highly regimented med schedule, and the soon to be copious amount of blood drawn, being on medical leave isn't that bad. I do say this before I've been stuck with needles yet, of course.

Any idea what's going on with you?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Russia's not participating in the Eurovision Song Contest, after Ukraine denied entry permits for the russian contestant (because by entering Crimea without going through Ukraine is breaking Ukrainian law)

The ESC offered them to either switch to someone else, or to participate via satellite feed, but Russia wasn't keen on either of those, since it wasn't an accident that she in particular got chosen. That's not even "oh I bet every russian election no matter how inconseqeuential is not on the up and up" thing, the relevant russian TV channel just picks their candidate.

The ESC is, obviously, annoyed with Ukraine and with confrontational politics sneaking into the song contest, which is the diametric opposite of the entire idea behind it.

Which I can agree with somewhat, but then again, this has been the only reason I have cared at all about this year's Eurovision

Yes it's Ukraine's fault that Russia is illegally occupying their territory and sponsoring a civil war in their country

no, which is why no-one said anything to that effect

but it is Ukraine blocking the russian contestant, and not vice-versa, so they are the ones politicizing Eurovision song contest.

If only because of the russian fig leaf that hey, this nice lady in the wheelchair had the best song, we were toooootally ready to forget all that stuff for a brief moment, but nooooo

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Bitch unless they take more then 250mLs or it's not just blood, you ain't got nothing to complain about.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    the best part is I have to minimize caffeine and I can't even have scotch. No scotch!!! what cruel hell have I fallen into

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I feel like some of the more spears-and-shrunken-heads remarks are more understandable in light of the fact that when he was a sprightly young man in his forties, the empire did in fact have still have headhunters in the corners

dayak trackers fought on the British side during the Emergency, to predictable effects:
    A photograph of a Marine Commando holding two insurgents’ heads caused a public outcry in April 1952. The Colonial Office privately noted that “there is no doubt that under international law a similar case in wartime would be a war crime”. (Britain always denied it was technically at “war” in Malaya, hence use of the term “emergency”).

Dyak headhunters from Borneo worked alongside the British forces. High Commissioner Templer suggested that Dyaks should be used not only for tracking “but in their traditional role as head-hunters”. Templer “thinks it is essential that the practice [decapitation] should continue”, although this would only be necessary “in very rare cases”, the Colonial Office observed. It also noted that, because of the recent outcry over this issue, “it would be well to delay any public statement on this matter for some months”. The Daily Telegraph offered support, commenting that the Dyaks “would be superb fighters in the Malayan jungle, and it would be absurd if uninformed public opinion at home were to oppose their use”. The Colonial Office also warned that, in addition to decapitation, “other practices may have grown up, particularly in units which employ Dyaks, which would provide ugly photographs”.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Haphazard wrote: »

that my antibodies get confused and attack various regions of my brain instead of doing their god damn job. which specific regions/receptors are TBD.

Leads to amazing work ethic and focus, right up to the point when my brain ignites and then smolders out, as I collapse in exhaustion.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

that my antibodies get confused and attack various regions of my brain instead of doing their god damn job. which specific regions/receptors are TBD.

Leads to amazing work ethic and focus, right up to the point my brain ignites and I collapse in exhaustion.

Sounds fun... on opposite day.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Bitch unless they take more then 250mLs or it's not just blood, you ain't got nothing to complain about.

they've been emphasizing the large number of vials, that I should drink lots and lots of fluids, and to not look in any mirrors or think about vampires, so...

Dynagrip on
  • Options

they've been emphasizing the large number of vials, that I should drink lots and lots of fluids, and to not look in any mirrors or think about vampires, so...

If you were a vampire you would not have to worry about mirrors!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The bathtub lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

I know from experience, that fucker weighs like 500 pounds and I don't want to throw out my back.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    The British made extensive use of dogs in the campaign: guard, ambush, pointer and especially tracker dogs (Symposium, pp. 38-39). They also recruited Dayaks from Borneo as scouts with whom they formed close bonds (the relationship originated in the Second World War when the Japanese massacred Dayaks, pushing them into the arms of the British who offered protection). The Dayaks had natural jungle sense but no human could rival the olfactory sense of a dog. Alsatians and Labrador Retrievers were popular and some dogs gained great repute for the ability to detect and point to CT camps at considerable distances. A typical sub-unit comprised one British officer, ten Dayaks and eight dogs. The CT recognised the abilities of the tracker dogs and used techniques such as crossing water obstacles to try to throw the scent. The relationship with the head-hunting Dayaks only backfired once in 1952 when a Royal Marine unit somewhat over-enthusiastically embraced the practice, provoking a public relations backlash and a prohibition on head-hunting. The offending photograph appeared in the 10 May 1952 edition of the Daily Worker, the newspaper of the British Communist Party, keen to expose brutal, British imperialism. This then provoked a riposte from the right-wing Daily Telegraph. There was not consensus on this matter: some argued that Western values should not be imposed on the Dayaks who should be allowed to continue lopping off the heads of enemies as was their custom.

another description of the controversy: http://smallwarsjournal.com/print/12513

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    But seriously, best of luck, Dyna. It sucks, but I hope they fix you up and make you better.

• Options
    it is entirely inconsequential but I find it really interesting because it is very much like a microversion of what the situation was with Crimea, just about a crappy song contest instead of geopolitics

it's like when your opponent makes the move you can see will end in checkmate in a few turns, you are grudgingly impressed a little through your annoyance.

Here it was probably about avoiding seeming like the only one with a grudge, by boycotting the Eurovision in Kiev, or something like that. Force Ukraine to either respond, or to swallow an obvious insult.

With Crimea it was how the NATO nations have in the past kind of played themselves into a corner where the only international law argument we could make was "but it's bad when you do it!"

which, although entirely true, is a much weaker argument. I mean not that they avoided sanctions, but still.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    The British made extensive use of dogs in the campaign: guard, ambush, pointer and especially tracker dogs (Symposium, pp. 38-39). They also recruited Dayaks from Borneo as scouts with whom they formed close bonds (the relationship originated in the Second World War when the Japanese massacred Dayaks, pushing them into the arms of the British who offered protection). The Dayaks had natural jungle sense but no human could rival the olfactory sense of a dog. Alsatians and Labrador Retrievers were popular and some dogs gained great repute for the ability to detect and point to CT camps at considerable distances. A typical sub-unit comprised one British officer, ten Dayaks and eight dogs. The CT recognised the abilities of the tracker dogs and used techniques such as crossing water obstacles to try to throw the scent. The relationship with the head-hunting Dayaks only backfired once in 1952 when a Royal Marine unit somewhat over-enthusiastically embraced the practice, provoking a public relations backlash and a prohibition on head-hunting. The offending photograph appeared in the 10 May 1952 edition of the Daily Worker, the newspaper of the British Communist Party, keen to expose brutal, British imperialism. This then provoked a riposte from the right-wing Daily Telegraph. There was not consensus on this matter: some argued that Western values should not be imposed on the Dayaks who should be allowed to continue lopping off the heads of enemies as was their custom.

another description of the controversy: http://smallwarsjournal.com/print/12513

"somewhat over-enthusiastically"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    if you put special forces into the jungle/the desert/the whatever along with locals who are keen on [any number of weird-ass shit you can do with dead enemies] the odds of said special forces becoming huge fans of that practice is p much 100%

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am actually somewhat glad Summer doesn't read these forums.

Not because I choose to hide anything from her, but this place is basically my neighborhood bar where I hang out with 980 Clif Clavens of which i am one and like maybe 2 Sam Malones or 80s Kirstey Alley but seriously mostly Clif Clavens.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am actually somewhat glad Summer doesn't read these forums.

Not because I choose to hide anything from her, but this place is basically my neighborhood bar where I hang out with 980 Clif Clavens of which i am one and like maybe 2 Sam Malones or 80s Kirstey Alley but seriously mostly Clif Clavens.

Summer Glau?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    A list of Phil's greatest hits.

Some are genuinely funny. Others are an old man shouting at clouds, or foreigners.

Some of these are absolute gems.
    "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" Asked of a Scottish driving instructor in 1995.

And some of these seem almost too clever not to be entirely on purpose
    21. "Get me a beer. I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer!" On being offered the finest Italian wines by PM Giuliano Amato at a dinner in Rome in 2000.
    22. "I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family." In 1967, asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.
    29. "Young people are the same as they always were. They are just as ignorant." At the 50th anniversary of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    if a tub is upside-down, convex, I definitely don't want to see what's under it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I am especially fond of the last one. There's levels there.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, Embassy apparently allows phones and iPods and such to be brought in now. :O

All the prep things kept impressing upon me "don't bring any fun stuff to the embassy"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bagsy Frasier Crane.

You can be Niles

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bagsy Frasier Crane.

You can be Niles

The wife always fancied him, for some reason.

• Options
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Heh thread about Aquaman starting filing from elsewhere and this was posted I totally forgot about this

Entourage-Aquaman-700.jpg

• Options
    Oh my God I forgot that Frasier and Lilith gave their son the middle name Gaylord. Outstanding.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Also Official logo

C-8CZ7hXgAAV753.jpg:large

• Options
  • Options
    About blood, sort of.

I listened to a documentary about the Finnish doping during Lahtis 2001.

At some point two of the contestants had to get 500ml of some IV substance in order to pass the doping test and they had 8 minutes to do it. So they essentially squeezed an IV bag into them in that time. That must hurt.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Frasier is a delight and it's meme pages are great.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    Frasier is a delight and it's meme pages are great.

It's no Community, and I say that as a Frasier fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XRLKhvIge8

This discussion has been closed.