As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trump Immigration Policy] DACA renewals continue due to injunction, SCOTUS denies appeal

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Ryan pivoting to the wall seems to be so they can go back to their normal playbook of cook up some crazy bill that can't actually become law to throw red meat to their base and blame the dems when the obvious filibuster occurs.

I hope they switch their fight to the stupid wall because unlike healthcare and random wars, it's unlikely to kill many people. Just a big money pit.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    sometimes I find myself getting used to the idea of the wall, like it just becomes part of the noise. Then you get a sudden rush of oh my god a fucking giant wall this is what we've become

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I can't see Republican politicians caring all that much about the wall when they see the bill. They will probably let it get started and then die of lack of funding. Slow progress on the wall is the best for them: they can campaign on building it without actually having to do it very much.

Didn't the house already put up 1.6 billion for the wall in the most recent version of the budget?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I can't see Republican politicians caring all that much about the wall when they see the bill. They will probably let it get started and then die of lack of funding. Slow progress on the wall is the best for them: they can campaign on building it without actually having to do it very much.

Didn't the house already put up 1.6 billion for the wall in the most recent version of the budget?

The good thing is that investigation, planning, and contractor selection for such an enormous project as actually building the wall is likely to take 4 years at least. So while some money will be wasted, hopefully we can regain full control and simply cancel the whole project before anyone puts even a single pointless brick on the ground.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    sometimes I find myself getting used to the idea of the wall, like it just becomes part of the noise. Then you get a sudden rush of oh my god a fucking giant wall this is what we've become

Let's be honest, if the wall even becomes a reality it will A) take years to build at which point Trump will be out of the WH and the next President will tear it down, and B) it will be a piece of shit that is barely holding together like all of Trump's ventures into territory he knows nothing about.

But no, I choose to believe that most people have not become the sort who want a goddamn expensive eyesore along our borders.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Ryan pivoting to the wall seems to be so they can go back to their normal playbook of cook up some crazy bill that can't actually become law to throw red meat to their base and blame the dems when the obvious filibuster occurs.

I hope they switch their fight to the stupid wall because unlike healthcare and random wars, it's unlikely to kill many people. Just a big money pit.

One of the things that we really should be taking away from the healthcare fight is that poorly directed money does in fact kill many people.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I do wonder if the pivot to the wall is meant to distract their base from the healthcare fiasco, or to distract Trump.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I do wonder if the pivot to the wall is meant to distract their base from the healthcare fiasco, or to distract Trump.

Both, most likely.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So today there will be an announcement that they want to cut *legal* immigration by half.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/trump-tries-to-cut-legal-immigration-by-half/article/2009100
    Two conservative senators will appear alongside President Trump at the White House Wednesday to announce a new version of their bill to restrict and reform legal immigration.

Arkansas’s Tom Cotton and Georgia’s David Perdue have been coordinating with the White House on the legislation, which may propose to cut legal immigration levels by about half by 2027.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh wait, they were lying when they said they were fine with immigrants who follow the rules?Le Shock

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    So today there will be an announcement that they want to cut *legal* immigration by half.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/trump-tries-to-cut-legal-immigration-by-half/article/2009100
    Two conservative senators will appear alongside President Trump at the White House Wednesday to announce a new version of their bill to restrict and reform legal immigration.

Arkansas’s Tom Cotton and Georgia’s David Perdue have been coordinating with the White House on the legislation, which may propose to cut legal immigration levels by about half by 2027.
    Jesus christ

Make America Great Again By Abandoning The Things America Is Literally All About

look at the Statue of Liberty, motherfuckers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Legal immigration is at roughly 1 million a year to the US, right?

So that's half a million people per year that aren't going to be able to come and do whatever it is that they were planning on doing. Jesus.

• Options
    Thankfully this has zero chance of making it through the Senate.

It's weird they would hold a press conference for it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

They don't have anything else going on

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It's almost as if Trump were looking for anything that would both appease his base and distract them from his many failures and alt-wins.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The thing about the wall is the southwestern GOP will fight him hard on it. It is not popular with people on the border at all.

of course now they're also doing this

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/344772-trump-admin-waives-environmental-laws-for-border-wall-construction

guaranteeing anywhere the wall is built will also be a cesspool of pollution.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    The thing about the wall is the southwestern GOP will fight him hard on it. It is not popular with people on the border at all.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/344772-trump-admin-waives-environmental-laws-for-border-wall-construction

I suspect the regulations they would eschew relate more to not paving over endangered species or giving a fuck about water tables.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    PH-2013-08-latino-populations-1-01.png

Environmental regulations waived in mostly black or brown areas? That's unthinkable in America!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

The good thing is that investigation, planning, and contractor selection for such an enormous project as actually building the wall is likely to take 4 years at least. So while some money will be wasted, hopefully we can regain full control and simply cancel the whole project before anyone puts even a single pointless brick on the ground.

There are already some areas that have walls so bolstering those or improving them could be a reasonable compromise.

• Options
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    oh my god this press conference on this ridiculous "raise" act. Tom Cotton is just honestly, legitimately, dumb. Isn't he? Like this is not a smart guy.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I am so fucking disgusted with this country right now.

EDIT: Like I don't even know how badly this would hurt anybody, but it's just such a validation of xenophobia and prejudice and a betrayal of everything we're told to believe this country stands for.

Just fuck all of these people.

FURTHER EDIT: Petty. The word I was looking for was "petty."

mRahmani on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Jesus christ

Make America Great Again By Abandoning The Things America Is Literally All About

look at the Statue of Liberty, motherfuckers

Xenophobia and racism are sadly also what we're about. Within 10 years of the ratification of the constitution we had the Alien and Sedition acts.

• Options
    It sounds like they want to do a points-based system

Here's info on what Canada does:

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/points-based-immigration/canada.php
    Canada had been known to have a fairly broad and generous immigration policy, but since 2006, the government has pursued reforms to “focus Canada’s immigration system on fuelling economic prosperity” and to place “a high priority on finding people who have the skills and experience required to meet Canada’s economic needs.”

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    It is also important to point out that Canada and Australia, despite using the point system, let in double the amount of immigrants that the US already does per capita, prior to this idiotic limitation

Not to mention this is a terrible time to limit immigration, with all the Boomers retiring and the slowing pace of patent applications and generation of new companies

WaPo has a good writeup here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/02/its-a-grave-mistake-for-trump-to-cut-legal-immigration-in-half/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_pp-immigration-940am:homepage/story&utm_term=.7b341bde3a50

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yup. Want to fix* Social Security? Let a bunch of young folks immigrate and pay those taxes for awhile. It actually helps as it smooths out the population imbalance.

*Fix being needed is sorta debatable.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You know what's great about having a bunch of twenty-somethings from other countries immigrate to your country?

The cost of having to feed, house, and educate them while they were children was covered by some other country. You get the benefit of an educated adult without having to pay for any of the upkeep costs.

• Options
    Yup. Want to fix* Social Security? Let a bunch of young folks immigrate and pay those taxes for awhile. It actually helps as it smooths out the population imbalance.

Either that or make it easier for people to have kids without throwing themselves into poverty. Lower-level US jobs are OK to support an adult on their own, but pauper-level for an adult with children. Healthcare would be useful here, as having a baby is expensive and kids tend to go to the doctor a lot in their first few years. Daycare subsidies for low-income parents are just as important. If they want more American-born Americans, they'd better be prepared to pay for it.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You know what's great about having a bunch of twenty-somethings from other countries immigrate to your country?

The cost of having to feed, house, and educate them while they were children was covered by some other country. You get the benefit of an educated adult without having to pay for any of the upkeep costs.

Yes but they're brown.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    VishNub wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yes but they're brown.

What if we give them whitening cream?
    Or tell them to wear something that covers their faces, like, i dunno, a burka?

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    A lot of white people in this country are terrified of not being the majority in power any more. Because, well, they look at how they've treated minorities and expect the same to be done unto them.
    And, to be fair, they might not be wrong. I mean, I believe that people of every color, religion, etc etc etc are equally good and equally terrible. Because that's how humans are, everywhere.
    When people have power over others, some of them are going to use that power to be terrible. This is known. It's timeless, universal, human. It's up to those with the power to stop them, who aren't terrible, to use that power responsibly and reign them in.
    (Trick is, this means having to go against your own tribe. Also, you have to watch out for those who would abuse this self-policing to satisfy their own petty, personal grudges. Neither is easy.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    It is also important to point out that Canada and Australia, despite using the point system, let in double the amount of immigrants that the US already does per capita, prior to this idiotic limitation

Not to mention this is a terrible time to limit immigration, with all the Boomers retiring and the slowing pace of patent applications and generation of new companies

WaPo has a good writeup here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/02/its-a-grave-mistake-for-trump-to-cut-legal-immigration-in-half/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_pp-immigration-940am:homepage/story&utm_term=.7b341bde3a50

The points system is also incredibly buggy. I won't bombard you all with the details of Canada's point system here, but it's not the cure-all that some (ideologically motivated) Americans would profess it to be.

We also have a variety of other immigration streams that aren't judged on points, namely the family reunification class, which allows for settled immigrants to bring in their family members to Canada.

• Options
    A lot of white people in this country are terrified of not being the majority in power any more. Because, well, they look at how they've treated minorities and expect the same to be done unto them.
    And, to be fair, they might not be wrong. I mean, I believe that people of every color, religion, etc etc etc are equally good and equally terrible. Because that's how humans are, everywhere.

Not always. Remember how moderates in the American South were terrified that if they freed the slaves, the slaves would rise up and slaughter them in vengeance? And then the slaves got freed and it was pretty much fine?

What happens with immigrants in the USA is that the new groups are Strange, Alien and Scary and 100 years later people are used to them and find a way to coexist. Irish people aren't a threat to civilization any more, with their drinking and firey tempers. Jewish people might not have converted to Christianity, but people learned to deal with having more than one religion in the country. Germans eventually learned to speak English and stopped living in insular German communities (except the Amish I guess, but people also leaned to deal with them.) They stopped being "those people" and started being just "us" after about 2-3 generations.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It sounds like they want to do a points-based system

Here's info on what Canada does:

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/points-based-immigration/canada.php
    Canada had been known to have a fairly broad and generous immigration policy, but since 2006, the government has pursued reforms to “focus Canada’s immigration system on fuelling economic prosperity” and to place “a high priority on finding people who have the skills and experience required to meet Canada’s economic needs.”

I was largely under the impression that the US already did this, which is why the immigration process can take years if you aren't trained in one of the few desired professions, or are already independently wealthy.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Not always. Remember how moderates in the American South were terrified that if they freed the slaves, the slaves would rise up and slaughter them in vengeance? And then the slaves got freed and it was pretty much fine?

What happens with immigrants in the USA is that the new groups are Strange, Alien and Scary and 100 years later people are used to them and find a way to coexist. Irish people aren't a threat to civilization any more, with their drinking and firey tempers. Jewish people might not have converted to Christianity, but people learned to deal with having more than one religion in the country. Germans eventually learned to speak English and stopped living in insular German communities (except the Amish I guess, but people also leaned to deal with them.) They stopped being "those people" and started being just "us" after about 2-3 generations.

There has been progress, yet there is a long way to go. America still has yet to have a president who isn't Christian, or overtly courting the Christian demographic and IIRC congress only got their first Muslim politician very recently. Pretty sure most people forget the Amish exist, though they're getting the word out with better representation these days on reality tv shows and dramas like Banshee.

edit: Given that the alt-right has festered expect more overt resistant to Jews operating in the political spotlight, too.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I suspect the regulations they would eschew relate more to not paving over endangered species or giving a fuck about water tables.

I suspect the stated purpose will be so that the construction won't be delayed by endangered species, and the actual result will be a toxic moat sponsored by Monsanto.

• Options
    Press briefing now

Stephen Miller, who worked on this new bill, is talking now.

He is insufferable!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    MSNBC chyron--WH: We plan to limit family immigration in favor of skilled workers; WH claims immigration has driven down minority wages

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Holy fucking shit this thing on CNN!

Some WH dude is accusing Jim Acosta of being a racist. It's...just...something.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Holy fucking shit this thing on CNN!

Some WH dude is accusing Jim Acosta of being a racist. It's...just...something.

Stephen Miller, he's a disgustig racist. Just the perfect guy to get thrown up in front of the press corps for this plan.

This discussion has been closed.