Options

[Trump Immigration Policy] DACA renewals continue due to injunction, SCOTUS denies appeal

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So wait. They're just arresting people who are following the normal steps for immigration now?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So wait. They're just arresting people who are following the normal steps for immigration now?

Yeah. And anyone they perceive as being anti-Trump. You have a post insulting Trump on social media and they see it, you're not getting in.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    In other terrible news, ICE appears to have begun arresting non-citizens who show up for their marriage green card interviews.

From a immigration lawyer:

There's more on her twitter feed. Madness. Complete madness.

ICE says they will continue doing this at INS offices.

EDIT: here's another bit from her twitter:
    "From lawyer at scene: After I-130 interview, officer sent USC wife 2 waiting room. He & I were taken to room where ICE officers cuffed him."

USC = US Citizen.

Selner on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    In other terrible news, ICE appears to have begun arresting non-citizens who show up for their marriage green card interviews.

Fuuuuuuck.

God damn it, this is insane. I just can't handle this shit. This is awful. Dismantling ICE needs to happen as soon as it's feasible.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    what the fuck

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    The sheer speed of this administration's "fuck brown people" policy is impressive, even more so given how incompetent they are.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    The sheer speed of this administration's "fuck brown people" policy is impressive, even more so given how incompetent they are.

In this case, they've not really had to implement anything. They've taken the restraints off a division that was pretty much designed and implemented around the very ideal you've named.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Yo, that's super fucked up, even for this administration.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    mRahmani wrote: »

In this case, they've not really had to implement anything. They've taken the restraints off a division that was pretty much designed and implemented around the very ideal you've named.

ICE is full of the exact sort of person you imagine wanting to be part of an anti-immigrant enforcement agency.

the incredibly stupid part of this? all the people they are detaining must go through the immigration court system, which has a backlog extending years. and what will happen at the immigration court? an immigration judge will see the marriage-based case pending, roll her or his eyes, and dismiss the fucking thing. the entire time forcing immigrants to spend on legal fees and bail AND wasting taxpayer dollars to boot.

this is the stupidest thing i've seen yet. FUCK ICE, FUCK DONALD TRUMP.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Yes but in the mean time before the trial, that immigrant might be sent to a "detention center."

Or, basically prison.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Yes but in the mean time before the trial, that immigrant might be sent to a "detention center."

Or, basically prison.

Or some kind of camp

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    For concentration.
    </olbermann>

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I think when the healthcare bullshit is over. I'm going to be lobbying congress critters to start defunding ICE. Purge the fucking agency and blacklist everyone in it so they can't get a job in government or any bumfuck police departments. I'm hoping the first court that gets a shot at this tells them to get super fucked.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mill wrote: »
    I think when the healthcare bullshit is over. I'm going to be lobbying congress critters to start defunding ICE. Purge the fucking agency and blacklist everyone in it so they can't get a job in government or any bumfuck police departments. I'm hoping the first court that gets a shot at this tells them to get super fucked.

The bad news is it would require major legislation for that to happen.

Quick history lesson. Back in 1946 congress was smart enough to create the Administrative Procedure act as they foresaw that the federal bureaucracy was going to be complex and huge in the next couple of decades and decided that keep things working smoothly. Under that act the various federal agencies had a choice: Either create their own court system with all the rules and maintain it or defer to federal Article III courts when it came to having a review of their rules and rulemaking.

Of all the federal agencies, the immigration service elected to create their own court system.

This why you see a lot of the fuckery that you do. It's why petitioners are not given a lot of what you would expect to see in a courtroom setting. Hell, the fact that they're called courts is also an accident of law. Until the 1990s they were called tribunals and had some pretty relaxed procedures. Of course, they were still racist as anything but with a shift of power in DC a batch of isolationist nutjobs and you get where we are now.

To get ICE and the immigration departments to something resembling civility you would need to amend the APA of 1946 so that every federal agency has to defer to Article III courts for review instead of letting the agency choose which way to go.

Quick edit. If you want a good rundown of the entire history and how we got here. The Adam Ruins Everything podcast does an excellent job of spelling things out better than I could in this post. Content warning: You will want to smash everything out of existential frustration.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The White House Press briefing is ICE basically lying and whining about sanctuary cities.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The White House Press briefing is ICE basically lying and whining about sanctuary cities.

So it's a day ending in -day, then.

God I hope whoever runs in 2020 makes the absolute destruction of ICE one of their core tenements.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It was really disappointing no one asked him about the arrests of people coming to get their green card because they are marrying a US citizen.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    House apparently voted to dump the first pile of money on Trump's wall. 1.6 billion.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/spending-bill-vote-border-wall-money/index.html

Imagine if they put that into job training programs. Or education.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    I cannot help but feel that this shit is part of Trump's border control policies.

British newlyweds say they were barred from entering US
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/25/british-newlyweds-say-they-were-barred-from-entering-us
    A British woman has said her honeymoon was ruined after she was held in detention for 26 hours by US border officials before being sent back to the UK.

Natasha Politakis said she and her husband, Ali Gul, were barred from entering the US after flying to Los Angeles to begin their £7,000 honeymoon.

She said the US embassy had since refused to say why she and Gul, who is of Turkish Muslim origin, were stopped by border guards in May.

The last line is the worst:

"They said it was down to applicants to prove they were eligible to enter the US."

He had a Visa. That's his eligibility to enter. What other proof does he need? He's traveling on a British passport. Last I checked the UK was not on the ban list.

And in the end they were not even told why they were detained and then sent home. That's crazy.

I know there's a security thing where they search the bags of every 3rd or 5th person as a means of deterring bad people, as they can't always search bags. But is this a "send every 3rd or 5th or 10th person home" as a means of deterrent?

Having a visa doesn't mean anything, legally speaking. It's too tiring to go through it all but while consulates can hand them it out to those who apply, it doesn't guarantee anything once you hit US soil. There's no contract, no law, nothing which states that the US has to let you enter even if you have all your paperwork and whatnot in line and ready for the customs agent.

It's quite likely that the person who turned them away decided to not like their face and decided to not let them enter. Custom agents have a large leeway when it comes to denying entry. Of course that leeway allows them all sorts of cover for their bigoted, racist, backwards reactions. It doesn't help things that ICE was largely conceived and implemented under racist pretenses so when it comes to trying to reform immigration to something less economicly or socially suicidal you get lots of pushback from people who have a vested interest in keeping out the very people you're trying to let in.

This is why I, a person born in the Middle East, have never bothered to so much as consider travelling to the USA since 2008. The idea of doing so now is actually a joke.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    House apparently voted to dump the first pile of money on Trump's wall. 1.6 billion.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/spending-bill-vote-border-wall-money/index.html

Imagine if they put that into job training programs. Or education.

Or tax cuts?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/28/john-kelly-to-replace-priebus-as-white-house-chief-of-staff-trump-tweet.html

Reince out. John Kelly in. Going to say that it's best here because Kelly LOVES the wall, and thinks that terrorism is everywhere at everytime, so expect redoubling of ICE bullshit.

Also means we get a new secretary of Homeland Security, so we're actually moving BACKWARDS on unfilled positions I think.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    A thread is in the works for WH Staff shakeup so let's hold off on further discussion in this thread.

Thanks.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

Greg Siskind is a prominent immigration attorney who has been behind some key impact litigation. so now we have out of control ICE officers and no leaders to even channel it. great.

fyi discussion about the staff shakeup should go here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/213012/shakeup-at-the-white-house

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Trump gave a speech Friday to law enforcement officials in Long Island. Basically the whole point was to link immigration to crime, his usual schtick:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/28/in-long-island-trump-to-highlight-violence-from-ms-13-gang-to-push-congress-on-immigration/?utm_term=.2fc237cff399&tid=a_inl
    President Trump on Friday warned of an uptick in violence from the transnational gang MS-13 that he said exploited weak political leadership and immigration enforcement to terrorize communities as the White House launched a renewed push for Congress to beef up funding for border security measures.

Trump's visit to a county racked by violence attributed to the gang — 17 murders over 18 months, according to local police — aimed to give “power and poignancy” to his message that lawmakers must do more to combat illegal immigration” a White House aide told reporters in a briefing.

Of course, given his love of "law and order" he took the chance to advocate for violence and brutality by law enforcement:
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/28/16059486/trump-speech-police-hand
    You say what happened to the old days where people came into this country, they worked and they worked and they worked and they had families and they paid taxes and they did all sorts of things, and their families got stronger and they were closely knit. We don't see that. Failure to enforce our immigration laws had predictable results. Drugs, gangs, and violence.
    Of course, Trump claims that thanks to his administration — one of whose first priorities was to “unshackle” immigration field agents to give them more latitude in going after unauthorized immigrants — the rule of law is being restored.

But Trump’s idea of the “rule of law” is mostly about looking and acting, in his own words, mean.

Just like it’s important to have “a rich guy at the head of commerce,” he said, it’s important to have “rough guys” as ICE agents:
    I saw some photos where Tom [Homan, the acting head of ICE]’s guys, rough guys, they're rough, I don't want to be — I don't want to be, you know, say it because they'll say that's not politically correct, you're not allowed to have rough people doing this kind of work.
    At one point, Trump literally instructed the assembled police officers not to protect the heads of suspects who were under arrest and were being loaded into police cars:
    When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, I said, please don't be too nice. Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you're protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over. Like, don't hit their head and they've just killed somebody. Don't hit their head. I said, you can take the hand away, okay?

This, of course, got cheers.

And then the departments of the people cheering tried to cover their asses.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/07/28/trump-tells-police-not-to-worry-about-injuring-suspects-during-arrests/
    A group of uniform officers standing behind Trump applauded, and, when he turned to face them, some smiled and appeared to chuckle.

In response to a question regarding Trump’s comments and the officers who applauded, the Suffolk County police quickly distanced the department from Trump’s comments, saying Friday that they would not accept this treatment of people in custody.

But we all know what they really think about the issue and it's again disturbing to see Trump go back to this immigration==crime well and to see law enforcement again nod along.

The Trump ethno-nationalist stance is one of the main areas I don't see Trump failing at and that will cause problems and embolden anti-immigrant forces that will outlive his presidency.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Or, basically prison.

These places

1403120782000-phxdc5-6fse5sangjbm29vhjh3-original.jpg

sikh-prayer-kuow_custom-445a79c7a5011d7dd3e57d8da2bf45a01f3c286f-s900-c85.jpg

mvd819934.jpg

Remember that when they talk about detaining people, this is what they mean.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I hate those jackets, they look like a misprint.

Or an echo

POLICE
    ICE
    ice
    e

Or maybe just because there's usually an ICE agent in them.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There has to be an ICE agent out there constantly making Mr. Freeze puns.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I don't currently want to think of an ICE agent being cool enough to do that.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    There has to be an ICE agent out there constantly making Mr. Freeze puns.

*pulls immigrant farm worker up from the banks of the Rio Grande*

"Its ICE to meet you"

*immigrant spends 6 months in a detention center*

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Apparently Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio just got convicted for refusing to stop targeting immigrants with traffic patrols, in contradiction of a court order.

https://apnews.com/b5e9868093e043a998e4c80b2a235626?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apparently Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio just got convicted for refusing to stop targeting immigrants with traffic patrols, in contradiction of a court order.

https://apnews.com/b5e9868093e043a998e4c80b2a235626?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

The case had been going on for a while - the federal courts had told him to stop, but he refused. Hence the criminal contempt charge.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving goose.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Paul Ryan decides to hitch his wagon to The Wall:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I guess he figures it's a safe bet, in spite of the debacle where it was just showed that if you yell about wanting a policy for years, people are going to be mad at you when you have your chance to implement it and say "i never really meant that, come on."

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I guess he figures it's a safe bet, in spite of the debacle where it was just showed that if you yell about wanting a policy for years, people are going to be mad at you when you have your chance to implement it and say "i never really meant that, come on."
    I know craven shitweasel Speaker Ryan's district is near the border (and arguably, not technically, is a border state), but he does know that the border wall being suggested is on the OTHER side of the country, doesn't he? Near as I can tell, his district is ~1400 miles from the nearest border point (Laredo).

But Paul Ryan capitulating to the President isn't anything new. I thought Republicans liked authoritarian types. Or people who got things done? Because Ryan is neither of those things.

Dig up, stupid.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing it's to shift the conversation away from Healthcare.

This should be an easy win for them, the other repub congresspeople should be on board for this.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's to shift the conversation away from Healthcare.

This should be an easy win for them, the other repub congresspeople should be on board for this.
    It would be, if it wasn't for the twin problems of Republicans being anti-tax, and being consistently on record about debt increases.

I know they don't care about debt when they're in power, but there's enough of them that can easily be portrayed as betraying their principles (Ted Cruz being primary), that putting it on the corporate credit card is a hard ask.

We've seen widespread opposition to cutting healthcare. I can't imagine cuts to social security would do any better. And cutting the military is obviously never going to happen.

I don't think there's enough money anywhere else to fund it, even zeroing out some discretionary departments completely.

And that's not taking into account that it's a stupid fucking idea, hasn't been properly thought out, and is impractical at best, impossible at worst, at least not without conceding a large amount of territory and water rights to Mexico (the border is through the deepest part of the river), or annexing a significant part of Mexico.

These f'n guys.

• Options
    Yeah, this is totally playing to their base (or Trump's base, as it were) in the wake of the health care snafu.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is totally playing to their base (or Trump's base, as it were) in the wake of the health care snafu.

It's also a simple target for democrats in the senate to Filibuster. It has no upside and no democratic voters or centrist voters think it's a good idea.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I can't see Republican politicians caring all that much about the wall when they see the bill. They will probably let it get started and then die of lack of funding. Slow progress on the wall is the best for them: they can campaign on building it without actually having to do it very much.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Ryan pivoting to the wall seems to be so they can go back to their normal playbook of cook up some crazy bill that can't actually become law to throw red meat to their base and blame the dems when the obvious filibuster occurs.

This discussion has been closed.