Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I am waiting on my Amazon order to come in the mailbox tomorrow, so instead of playing Odyssey I am drinking rum and cola and going to bed.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    There are... A lot of moons. A whole lot of moons. A whole shitload of moons. I got to the second world, and thought I did pretty well finding 8 or 9. There are like... 15 more, and I swear to god this place is just not that big. The first world has like... 17!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    DNIHnbuU8AAJkJq?format=jpg&name=large

Ayyy

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Damnit nintendo. I wake up this morning to find my download interrupted for an update. And then when I get home from work it's been interrupted by a dns error. Which rights itself as soon as I click ok. No Mario for me tonight.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    this game is everything i expected from a 3d mario in this, the year of our lord 2017

ps some of these purple coins/moons are fucking IMPOSSIBLE to find

pps hope you have a bunch of amiibos

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Got my copy. Unfortunately I gotta go to work in 2 hours..it's gonna be one long day. Thankfully both next Tuesday and Wednesday are holidays, so I'll get plenty of playing time in then.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Played cap kingdom and the one after that. This game is real good Mario ass Mario

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would be cool to jump a 100 years in the future and see if Mario is still around.
    A decaying, overgrown Mushroom Kingdom?

XtT0edj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Superman and Batman will hit 100 in our lifetimes I dont see why Mario wont be able to make it hes arguably just as iconic and important for his medium

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I kinda doubt motion control is mandatory at any point in the game. Nintendo can make some weird game design choices, but I don't think "force the player to unhook the joycons from the switch to collect one moon" is something they'd do.

Like, to curve the cap when you throw it, you can flick your wrist for motion control or you can spin the analog stick 360 degrees and then throw the cap. You don't have to use motion controls if you don't want to.
    dporowski wrote: »
    There are... A lot of moons. A whole lot of moons. A whole shitload of moons. I got to the second world, and thought I did pretty well finding 8 or 9. There are like... 15 more, and I swear to god this place is just not that big. The first world has like... 17!

I believe there's like 800+ moons total in the game...!

Wish I was home collecting them instead of here at this stupid job! >:[

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Probably only gonna have time to play for an hour today before happy hour for work and Stranger Things kick off.

Excited to dive in though. WAHOO!

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Oh this game is getting its hooks in me. Already experiencing "just one more moon " syndrome.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I kinda doubt motion control is mandatory at any point in the game. Nintendo can make some weird game design choices, but I don't think "force the player to unhook the joycons from the switch to collect one moon" is something they'd do.

Like, to curve the cap when you throw it, you can flick your wrist for motion control or you can spin the analog stick 360 degrees and then throw the cap. You don't have to use motion controls if you don't want to.

Yes, you do have to use motion controls for some moons. This is confirmed.

You don't have to use Joycons though, I think a lot of people forget that the Pro controller also has motion controls

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I was just jumping around in the first area practicing jumps, it's so fun.

Triple jump into cap toss into airdive into cap-spring into wall jump felt so good.

Also with Marip's new rolling move, please tell me we get an inspired take on Mario Golf

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Yes, you do have to use motion controls for some moons. This is confirmed.

You don't have to use Joycons though, I think a lot of people forget that the Pro controller also has motion controls

What move does Mario have in this that can only be performed via motion controls?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    A sweeping 360 degree cap toss, tossing the cap up, down, and a homing cap toss.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Apparently some jumps that get you higher can only be done with motion control

But, they can count on every controller for Switch having motion, so it only seems to be a shitty issue when playing in handheld

I'm still not sure how handheld players did some of the shrines in Zelda

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    A sweeping 360 degree cap toss, tossing the cap up, down, and a homing cap toss.

The 360 cap throw can be done without motion controls. Just spin the control stick around then throw the cap.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    off the top of my head I think homing cap.

the aoe cap can be performed by doing the spin move first. a little more clunky actually

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Apparently some jumps that get you higher can only be done with motion control

But, they can count on every controller for Switch having motion, so it only seems to be a shitty issue when playing in handheld

I'm still not sure how handheld players did some of the shrines in Zelda

A handheld player can always, if pressed, detach the joycons and flip the kickstand. Obviously you don't design your game around having to do this constantly, but I'm willing to overlook one or two instances over the course of a game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Huh, well frick. Looks like I'm playing this in split joycon mode like a dang caveman... Slightly disappointing that there are forced motion controls, but not too big a deal I suppose.

• Options
    Question since I'm at work and just thinking about juicy movement options: can you do a spin into helicopter jump for distance, then do a straight cap toss into dive into capjump into another dive? Or will your toss be a spinning one?

I figure that can get more horizontal distance than slidejump into toss-dive-capjump-dive.

Also if you haven't learned it toss-dive-capjump-dive is the way and the light. Kind of a shame you can't do it more than once per aerial but that'd literally let you fly so I understand it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kotaku has the skinny on the motion controls.

tl;dr: You can totally get through the game without them, but some of the captured character moves are unique to motion controls and they're necessary for a few moons.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Holy Fuccamoli this game is good

Only got to play a bit before work, and yes, the motion control stuff is almost immediately apparent, but it looks and feels so good overall. I can already tell that I'm going to love this game.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    It is kind of a bummer for me that motion controls are required for certain things.

I play my Switch primarily on the NYC subway to and from work, and I really don't want to be the asshole jostling the person next to me because I'm trying to do a special move in my video game.

• Options
    I'm stealing Holy Fuccamoli. That's mine to use now

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm stealing Holy Fuccamoli. That's mine to use now

I think I stole it from YouTube's VGDunkey, which is fitting because this game is a MASTAPEECE, LADIESNGENNLEMEN

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    Blegh, Dunkey

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The music for the Woodland Kingdom is my favorite so far. I was jamming out to it during my commute this morning.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    They should have just had a non motion control mode where they split x/y and a/b and used one for capture commands and one for advanced hat throws. Doesn't seem like it would have been that hard.

Personally I'm playing in handheld and I don't care, but it seems like an easy problem to solve.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    They should have just had a non motion control mode where they split x/y and a/b and used one for capture commands and one for advanced hat throws. Doesn't seem like it would have been that hard.

Personally I'm playing in handheld and I don't care, but it seems like an easy problem to solve.

Rumor is there's a non motion control for every move, but I don't know how true that might be. I've heard spinning the stick and then throwing will do the homing attack, but that just predictably does the spin attack instead.

So far playing on a pro controller though, the motion controls aren't terribly egregious. Y and a simple shake does the homing attack. A flick up towards you throws the hat up. A side shake does the spin attack, though while I've found doing that with 2 hands is a bit uncomfortable, taking one hand off the controller and then flicking it away works better. Though I suppose that action should be worrisome, as I'm basically tossing the controller towards the wall should my hand slip. Every other motion control has either been optional (shake to move or attack... or just use the stick/button) or a simple action that so far hasn't been required in a high pressure do-or-die situation, A quick shake to high jump as a frog to reach a moon is hardly an annoyance for me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    This game is pretty good you guys

• Options
    Geez, I already found one moon that's very nearly a case of "how the fuck are you supposed to know that" if not for the tutorial you can get via another moon... if you spot the pipe leading to that one that is. I'm not mad just... hoo boy. :)

Protip: If you suddenly feel rumbling for no apparent reason, pound the ground.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Not much time to chat between work and mario and stranger things 2 buuuut...

This game is so good. Mario controls like a champion. Motion controls suck but when are they ever good in a game? I disabled motion controls in the UI but it doesn't do anything it seems. I assume it disables aiming when possessing enemies that have aim (like tanks?).

No worries there though the game is SUPER fun. And there are so many things to explore. All those effing moons. Oi.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Curses, stuff came up and I won't be able to pick this up until tomorrow and won't have time to play it for a few days after.

My life is dumb right now! :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It would be cool to jump a 100 years in the future and see if Mario is still around.

Which Mario game is that from?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Smash Bros.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Smash Bros.

Which Smash Bros?