As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Guilliman: All hail the God Emperor!
    God Emperor: you are such a disappointment.

Guilliman: Well, so were you, dad.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    You can recognice someone as a god, without going all religious nut or worship.
    You can, but it's more that I like the clash of Rowboat's secularism / not believing in the big E being a deity and the current Imperium. Letting that go after a scant few books feels like a waste.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I would love it simply because it more fully validates the foolishness of the Emperor's pride in thinking he could eradicate organised religion via genocide "for the good of humanity".

Fuck that.

Well, main flaw with the plan was there were, quite demonstrably, gods out there.
    And demons
    And magic (sorta)
    And souls

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The emperor was not a God before his interment in the golden throne.

Now? It's kinda a grey area

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I would love it simply because it more fully validates the foolishness of the Emperor's pride in thinking he could eradicate organised religion via genocide "for the good of humanity".

Fuck that.

Well, main flaw with the plan was there were, quite demonstrably, gods out there.
    And demons
    And magic (sorta)
    And souls
    Oh, so they're demons just because they live in the spirit world, have lots of horns, eat souls, and can't be permanently killed on the mortal plane? Typical Imperial closed-mindedness. Horus was right.

I mean uh.

Praise the Emperor.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Fuck that.

And demons
    And magic (sorta)
    And souls

It was a dumb plan, but I think the general logic was 'if they don't believe in worshipping gods they deffo won't worship chaos gods!

whoops.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The idea was to starve the chaos gods to death. If humanity became atheist, no source of power for them

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Don't the other species also contribute making it a moot point?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Other species can’t contribute if they’re all dead.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I would say no.

Dark eldar are eating people's souls to stave off their own souls being eaten by she who thirsts
    Craftworld eldar use soul stones to avoid the same fate
    Tyranids are a hive mind
    Tau have little to no psychic signature
    Necrons have none
    Orks are all about gork and mork. Though there are some examples of orks falling to khorne

The biggest and best source of worship and supply of sweet sweet souls was humanity

Karl on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The problem with The Plan was the assumption that the Chaos gods required active worship, rather than simply gaining strength from the thoughts and acts that birthed them in the first place.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    The problem with The Plan was the assumption that the Chaos gods required active worship, rather than simply gaining strength from the thoughts and acts that birthed them in the first place.

"Oopsth!"

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Isnt there mention of warp entities being formed out of positive emotions? Humanaities collectivist belief in the emperor post horus heresy triggering this living saint stuff

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options

You're right, the actions and thoughts that birthed them in the first place would provide some source of power, but it ain't nothing on active worship

The whole Imperial Truth idea was that we'd rise above our base instincts with glorious reason and intellect and that as a result the chaos gods would lose the vast amount of their power f not die completely of starvation.

The Emperor is arguably the smartest idiot in the 40K universe.

• Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Isnt there mention of warp entities being formed out of positive emotions? Humanaities collectivist belief in the emperor post horus heresy triggering this living saint stuff

Some Adeptus believe that the Legion of the Damned is pretty much the emperor's version of demons.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yes and no. There's nuance in the warp. Eg. Not all rage/violence/war emotion goes to Khorne, Khaine and Gork and Mork also do their thing. It's not necessarily a positive/negative thing, but there's different shades or types of psychic "energy" or whatever you want to call it.

At the same time, they also blend together a bit. Khaine predates Khorne but the Eldar have to be very careful to ensure that they are honouring/worshiping Khaine and not inadvertently Khorne.

And there's plenty of examples of Orks falling into Khorne worship accidentally/on purpose. Though when it happens I like to think of it as a rare occasion when Gork and Mork and Khorne's spheres of influence combine. But in general the Orks are just too wholesome to be corrupted.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

You're right, the actions and thoughts that birthed them in the first place would provide some source of power, but it ain't nothing on active worship

The whole Imperial Truth idea was that we'd rise above our base instincts with glorious reason and intellect and that as a result the chaos gods would lose the vast amount of their power f not die completely of starvation.

The Emperor is arguably the smartest idiot in the 40K universe.

I bet he watched a lot of star trek some 38k years ago.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    But in general the Orks are just too wholesome to be corrupted.
    Like, what does chaos have to offer to an ork?
    violence? they got plenty.
    sex? they don't want any.
    secret knowledge, careful schemes, intricate machinations? lulz!
    immortality? what for?

Well, there was that one demon world where a warband of orks crashed and now get raised each morning to fight an endless hordes of khornate demons, which i guess is nice.
    edit-
    "The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
    - From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse, a controversial Eldar philosopher

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Some orks actually found their idea of heaven being stuck on a demon planet to fight and die in a massive battle against the forces of chaos.

Then the next day they get resurrected to do it all again.

• Options
    That's like the person in the climate change thread who suggested solving the problem of cow emissions with a virus that would eradicate all cattle.

Surely, nothing would go wrong!

• Options
    The Last Church should be a mandatory read for all 40K lore nerds

It's very good and explains the fallacy of the Emperor's Imperial Truth.

I enjoy that the person debating with the Emperor told him he was too smart for his own good.

• Options
    It's a very good story in general, even if you don't have the context of who the priest is talking to.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In that I found 2 of the three white dwarf issues that talk about the Black Templars
    I can see now how they ended up in the imperial faith rather than the way I saw them as they never gave up the ideals of the Great Crusade and The Great Scouring after

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Orks is da best and da strongest.

'Ere end da lessun.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The only problem I have with 40k lore is that I want to know what happens next. And there isn't any, lol.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I mean, they did actually advance the plot, I hear.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    They advanced the plot while keeping the status quo pretty much intact. Didn't answer any questions about the emperor, just teased it, got a primarch back, chaos got a bit of a reset, but really for the loss of Cadia they should have tossed in a 100% complete STC and a resurgence of new tech in the machine cult.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Orks is da best and da strongest.

'Ere end da lessun.

1pkswr1jcm21.jpg

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    I mean, they did actually advance the plot, I hear.

Hence my incredulity in the title.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cawl is actually doing things and trying to create new shit

also rowboat too back a ton of worlds

• Options
    Who is rowboat?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I thought he was called Row Booty because of how a year or two ago how they said it poorly

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Rowboat Jellyman

• Options
    Wouldn't it be pronounced Row-bear

• Options
    Row-bear Gill-man

Or is my space french really bad?

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Robot Gillman

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    It's officially rabooty gullyman, if I remember that one video they put out where his name got mentioned correctly.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Roobanooty Shoontanfrooby?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    1508884419-sports-night.jpg

This discussion has been closed.