As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    TeeMan wrote: »
    @Jazz is a thread treasure, thanks for the write up!

Aww, you're very welcome. You're gonna make me blush :)

Just got in a bit of quality time with F1 2017, as this all put me in the mood. Did a couple of standalone races in classic cars; the current downloadable event at Abu Dhabi; Monaco at night, which is super pretty; and a few time trial laps at Brazil in the sublime 1995 Ferrari 412 T2 (the last F1 car with a V12 engine), where I crept into the top 3,000 on the leaderboard. It really is such an awesome game.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I don't think that Dragonfall invalidates Returns. Yes it's much better, but they're both really good Shadowrun stories (which is something we don't have enough of), and the stories are different.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Just got in a bit of quality time with F1 2017, as this all put me in the mood. Did a couple of standalone races in classic cars; the current downloadable event at Abu Dhabi; Monaco at night, which is super pretty; and a few time trial laps at Brazil in the sublime 1995 Ferrari 412 T2 (the last F1 car with a V12 engine), where I crept into the top 3,000 on the leaderboard. It really is such an awesome game.

Monaco in current car is impossible for me. But such an awesome place!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    New Humble had me excited for the prospect of MicroMachines since my son and I had played a good amount of Toybox Turbos. But looking at the steam reviews was a let down.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Any reason why a good dozen games in my library have 0 - 1024 byte patches today?

Yeah, I had the same thing with 49 of my games. No idea what was going on there:
    rugpn5x9hci6.png

I'm used to the occasional 0 byte update from Steam, but it's rarer when it's a whole bunch of games in my library.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Origin keys incoming, I hope they find good homes.

First up: Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin Key.

Loading...?

• Options
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Jazz wrote: »

Monaco in current car is impossible for me. But such an awesome place!
    Monaco at all is pretty much impossible for me. I suck at it, I freely admit. The current cars are so fast and so wide for that perilously narrow track that it becomes even harder. But of course it is a famously challenging circuit even for the real life best of the best. And yes, it is spectacularly awesome. Crazy place.

New Humble had me excited for the prospect of MicroMachines since my son and I had played a good amount of Toybox Turbos. But looking at the steam reviews was a let down.
    Yeah, I have a lot of fond memories of the old MM games, especially the '96 one on the Megadrive/Genesis and the downright brilliant V3 on the PS1.

I'll give the new one a try but it doesn't seem promising. Such a shame.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    Dead Space Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    Medal of Honor Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    Mirror's Edge Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    The Sims 3 Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    The Sims 3 Late Night Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff Origin Key:

Loading...?

• Options
    The Sims 3 Date Night Origin Key:

Loading...?

Last one tonight!

• Options
    ITT:

rp17jbnykmuc.jpg

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I don't think that Dragonfall invalidates Returns. Yes it's much better, but they're both really good Shadowrun stories (which is something we don't have enough of), and the stories are different.

I think Return's main campaign did more to explain elements of the setting to newbies. Dragonfall is better paced partially because it drops you right into things but probably a lot more confusing if you didn't know what a decker, essence, etc. were going in.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key:
    Grabbed this one, thanks very much! <3

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I think Return's main campaign did more to explain elements of the setting to newbies. Dragonfall is better paced partially because it drops you right into things but probably a lot more confusing if you didn't know what a decker, essence, etc. were going in.

I mean I played through Shadowrun Returns and now Dragonfall and I still don't know what most of that means.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Are the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games worth playing if you're a fan of the series but not really a fighting game fan?

Seems to have a pretty lengthy story and I'm getting the itch for a DB game now that I've started binging Super.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Come back to my PC after having it asleep for a few hours and there are around 25 games that suddenly need updates on Steam. Most of them are 0 or 512 bytes. 5 of them though, are 67.5MB each.

What the heck?

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    It's too bad that each (HBS) Shadowrun game pretty much invalidated the modding scene of the one prior to it. Lots of porting x to the next system and what not. I really wish it was more unified. That said, I've barely touched HK much less the UGC stories. (Also a brief complaint that all the conversations appear on the right side of the screen, causing me to keep my head slightly angled for a very long time.)

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Come back to my PC after having it asleep for a few hours and there are around 25 games that suddenly need updates on Steam. Most of them are 0 or 512 bytes. 5 of them though, are 67.5MB each.

What the heck?
    I heard it was a pixel shader update.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The Signal From Tolva continues to be a lot of fun. Great exploration and decently engaging combat centered around skirmishes between three robot factions vying for control of territory. If your faction controls a point you can quick travel there by hijacking a drone at that location. Military bunkers are logistic necessities that provide ally drone spawns, a place to deposit scan data and obtain resupply and upgrades. Weapons are pretty standard but serviceable and practical. The gameplay loops of ambient exploration and combat have a very STALKER-ish vibe going on, with a nod towards Clear Sky's three-way faction warfare for control over the Zone. Tolva is a very mysterious setting in its own right and the larger Magnitudes Setting the game resides in is some satisfying sci fi world building. Apparently the devs have more stuff in the works using this setting. I heartily approve. This is the kind of ambient sci fi storytelling I'd like to see more of in gaming.

Drake on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Are the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games worth playing if you're a fan of the series but not really a fighting game fan?

Seems to have a pretty lengthy story and I'm getting the itch for a DB game now that I've started binging Super.

Yes and no. Im in the same boat as you so I bought XV when it was crazy cheap long after it came out and I enjoyed it immensely. The art is awesome and the little touches are cool.

However there are some straight up BS battles mainly dealing with the fact that the AI isn't bound by the same rules as you. Also, some fights require you to keep an allied AI alive which is also irritating.

If you aren't into fighting games i'd say they're worth it if they're near the $15 range.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh fuck me I have had it I have had it with games that offer no save points and no indication of when you've passed a checkpoint. It's not an unreasonable expectation for a modern game to be tolerant of gamers who can't sit down for a 30min period and finish a segment in one go. I expect to be at the start of whatever challenge or dialogue section I just left off when I return, not fucking an age back having to either beat a challenge that was fun the first time and now is infuriatingly tedious or listen to the same story but with much less impact and have that be the lasting memory.

Manual Samuel. Oxenfree. If a game as pokey and simplistic as Space Pilgram III has you beat in something as basic as this, you should reconsider.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Oof, holy smokes. On a completely unrelated note... The Way. The opening second is a gut punch. Jesus

Edit: oh SHIT it's second number 5 and what the fuck

Edit2: ooooooook this game is, it is off to a spellbinding start. Uhh buy it? I'm less than a minute in and I'm saying buy it

Edit3: Oh nice it saves a checkpoint literally 3 seconds from the place where I exited the game. GOTN (game of the night) award goes to The Way!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Though not available on Steam, I just figured I would let people know that Destiny 2 is on sale for $25 on Amazon.

I can't get it right now (I just dropped a hint to my wife that HEY IT'S ON SALE AND I REALLY WANT IT FOR CHRISTMAS), but this is a steal.

If she doesn't get the hint, and it's still on sale on Friday, I may pick it up.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Though not available on Steam, I just figured I would let people know that Destiny 2 is on sale for $25 on Amazon.

I can't get it right now (I just dropped a hint to my wife that HEY IT'S ON SALE AND I REALLY WANT IT FOR CHRISTMAS), but this is a steal.

If she doesn't get the hint, and it's still on sale on Friday, I may pick it up.

I'm torn on even wanting Destiny 2. It looks amazing, like Borderlands looting 'n' shooting (which I'm fond of, FYI) with less personality and better shooting. But the emphasis seems to be on MP - coop and raids and PVP and such - which I don't have time for (or shouldn't have time for.) And as strange as it seems, I really would prefer not to hook up to Blizzard. I have more games than I can play on Steam, so why tap another distribution platform that doesn't have my friends network? (Counterpoint to that is why not for a game you want to play. It's more of a feeling than a rationale.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oof, holy smokes. On a completely unrelated note... The Way. The opening second is a gut punch. Jesus

Edit2: ooooooook this game is, it is off to a spellbinding start. Uhh buy it? I'm less than a minute in and I'm saying buy it

Edit3: Oh nice it saves a checkpoint literally 3 seconds from the place where I exited the game. GOTN (game of the night) award goes to The Way!

I gave up on the stupid light mirror puzzle.

No the youtube doesn't help.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    60 hours into Elex and no end in sight...

This game is definitely getting my "Way Better Than I Ever Expected" award for 2017. I expected a fairly run of the mill euro RPG, especially in light of its decidedly mediocre metacritic scores. Instead, I can't stop playing it, or thinking about it when I'm not playing. I'm constantly impressed by the game both in terms of mechanics and design. I want to know much more about the world/lore. And I want to explore every nook and cranny everywhere.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and it is occasionally rage-inducingly hard, and it has its fair share of jankiness, but I give it a pretty hearty recommendation anyway.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Yes and no. Im in the same boat as you so I bought XV when it was crazy cheap long after it came out and I enjoyed it immensely. The art is awesome and the little touches are cool.

However there are some straight up BS battles mainly dealing with the fact that the AI isn't bound by the same rules as you. Also, some fights require you to keep an allied AI alive which is also irritating.

If you aren't into fighting games i'd say they're worth it if they're near the $15 range.

I, too, am a pro-DBZ/not-so-pro fighting game fan and bought the first XV when it was super cheap (I think I got the game plus all the DLC for around $18). I didn't care about online, since I bought it about two months before XV2 came out, so I was sure the online "scene" had long dried up. (I actually unplugged my network cable during login to avoid the whole "searching for servers" boot up sequence.)

As McMoogle mentioned, there's one fight in particular that I'm pretty sure is impossible unless your character is at certain level. I had a fairly easy time going through story mode up to that point, and then had to go grind on previous missions and side stories to get to that arbitrary number. After that fight, the remaining fights were basically cakewalks.

Protip: Blue Hurricane is the bee's knees, in both aesthetics and power.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have multiple ethical reasons I can't pick up either Destiny.
    ----
    In other news, I'm starting to remember how backlogs truly start. Way back in the Spring, my intent was to polish off Bastion, then roll into Bayonetta. Instead, I am playing Stick of Truth in between WoW sessions since I just reupped for 3 months (there's one rep grind mount I want, then I can walk away for a bit). And now I want to play through at least two of the three recent Wolfenstein games after Stick of Truth.

And the Shadowrun discussion reminds me that I recently obtained all three in some form or another, so I kinda wanna do those next after the Wolfenstein games (also a turn based tactical shooter is a new genre for me).

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular

See now I'm glad I gifted this to someone.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Thanks to @Fonjo for sending me goodies over Steam Chat!
    nri4uznsl6f7.png
    What's dis?
    1hpcsxg2hubo.png

Oooooooooooo, looks pretty. Thanks again!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Fonjo for sending me goodies over Steam Chat!
    nri4uznsl6f7.png
    What's dis?
    1hpcsxg2hubo.png

Oooooooooooo, looks pretty. Thanks again!

If I'm not mistaken, Silence is kind of a sequel to The Whispered World though I believe it stands alone pretty well. It really does look pretty. I would love to hear your thoughts when you get around to it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

I'm torn on even wanting Destiny 2. It looks amazing, like Borderlands looting 'n' shooting (which I'm fond of, FYI) with less personality and better shooting. But the emphasis seems to be on MP - coop and raids and PVP and such - which I don't have time for (or shouldn't have time for.) And as strange as it seems, I really would prefer not to hook up to Blizzard. I have more games than I can play on Steam, so why tap another distribution platform that doesn't have my friends network? (Counterpoint to that is why not for a game you want to play. It's more of a feeling than a rationale.)

Honestly, wait on it. I bought it at launch because a lot of people I hang out with in Guild Wars 2 got it, I enjoyed The Division and Borderlands before better shooters ruined the latter for me, and had been hoping for an experience like The Division which despite the mismanagement in the first several months of life was a game I sank 150 hours into.

I regret buying Destiny 2. The enemy AI is really bad, the shooting feel people talk about seems to have really depended on the tactile response of squeezing a controller trigger button combined with the vibration and doesn't impress as much on mouse and keyboard, the reward system is out of whack since it's so reliant on turning in tokens for an RNG roll, the non-raid group instances are unrewarding and you don't even get to choose which one you do when you queue up for one, and it really feels like PvE content right now is centered on the raid. Not just any raid either, an older school length one that still takes like an hour and a half on a good run by people's accounts and much more if it's a learning run as opposed to shorter length ones that MMOs have trended towards in recent years. And then they don't provide any in game tools to communicate with players and organize a group for said raid in a social game. At only 6 players needed it's not as organization intensive as other MMO equivalents but it's still a pretty big gap in need.

Bungie is supposed to communicate stuff to address the issues players have been bringing up this week and the first DLC is supposed to add a shorter raid that those of us with less uninterrupted time to spend on gaming might feasible do but the game as it is now isn't really in a good place.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

I've played a few hours of the Destiny 2 trial that dropped yesterday, and this is pretty much my thing. Combat is far sharper than any other FPS-RPG, and it's fun to shooty at things. The story seems like slosh with the Bungie trademarks of Capitalizing Important Nouns and Terms and self-important nonsense, but whatever. It's the mmo-lite stuff I don't give two shits about, and that's what the playerbase and Bungie is really about, as shown by this minor revolt about the latter apparently not doing a good enough job about it.

I mean, you probably could just play until the end of the story and leave it at that, but it seems like you're practically missing half the game without engaging endgame stuff, and the thought of grinding through raids and and epic loot or whatever fills me with absolutely no interest, so eh.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

I've played a few hours of the Destiny 2 trial that dropped yesterday, and this is pretty much my thing. Combat is far sharper than any other FPS-RPG, and it's fun to shooty at things. The story seems like slosh with the Bungie trademarks of Capitalizing Important Nouns and Terms and self-important nonsense, but whatever. It's the mmo-lite stuff I don't give two shits about, and that's what the playerbase and Bungie is really about, as shown by this minor revolt about the latter apparently not doing a good enough job about it.

I mean, you probably could just play until the end of the story and leave it at that, but it seems like you're practically missing half the game without engaging endgame stuff, and the thought of grinding through raids and and epic loot or whatever fills me with absolutely no interest, so eh.

The good/bad news is that you don't really need to grind through raids for loot.

This is partially because only a few unique drops come from the raid and if you are a part of a clan and the clan completes the raid during the week you'll get a gun drop from the raid just for being in the same clan which is good. It also because armor is completely uninteresting and not meaningful so not even included in a lot of rewards which is not so good. Raids are really more about enjoying that kind of content with friends. And definitely with friends because you can't really organize one in game so you can't find a PuG easily.

There's not a ton at the end game really either. I'm grinding gear because MMO but the way scaling works there's not much benefit currently. It's more in prep for possible future content and because there's a number I feel compelled to make higher.

The main story campaign can be fun but it's very much a corridor shooter in a lot of places and not a great value proposition with other single player focused shooters available.

Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.