Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We got about 3 inches of snow. I'm still breaking out the beast.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MY NEIGHBOR SNOW BLOWED MY DRIVEWAY!

I went over and thanked and subtly let him know I bought a massive bone chilling new snowblower for future use.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dang. Sorry about your blue snowballs there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    If you want to take a road trip to make use of your snowblower, my driveways' got about 2.5 feet of snow on it atm.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    If you want to take a road trip to make use of your snowblower, my driveways' got about 2.5 feet of snow on it atm.

I think I could ride it over there

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    It's been super super warm, and tomorrow it's going to be near 60 degrees. I'n very excited to be rid of all the ice, and to have some temps that aren't, ya know, -20F.

It's going to be super weird though! Those are spring temps.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    It was in the mid-40s by me today. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50-55, I guess? And rain. Lots of rain. In case the thawing snow wasn't giving us enough water everywhere.

Thaw is a really good four letter word.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    65F on Friday and 35F on Saturday. The weather is fucking taunting me now.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    this 60 degree weather is hella nice though

hopefully all that snow is gone

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    60 degrees F and rain is a hell of a thing in January

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Rain right now that's going to be turning to ice this weekend. Wanted to go skiing this weekend but I have a feeling the whole way down would sound like nails on a chalkboard.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    69 here today (nice)

tomorrow's low is supposedly 13

nothing like a 56 degree swing in less than 24 hours =/

Xaquin on
  • Options
    It's - 24 right now and feels like - 31

• Options
  • Options
    I feel like I'm going to be sick as a dog this weekend because of my allergies and this temperature swing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So all of the mudslides here in SoCal have closed a lot of streets, including a long stretch of the 101 between Ventura and Santa Barbara. Because of a lot of ancillary road closures, there's no longer a fairly direct route to Santa Barbara from anywhere south of it. From LA you have to take I-5 up and then cut over to Santa Maria, then back down to Santa Barbara. That turns what would be an ~85 mile, hour and a half/two hour trip into a ~255 mile, 5 hour slog.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    It's warm around Boston today, but it's going to rain and then srop5below freezing.

Whee ice everywhere!

• Options
    If anyone here is new to ice, or is old hand at ice and doesn't have any of these yet, I will strongly suggest buying these things:

5Ey6OHf.jpg

It just wraps around your shoes, and the metal bits are still only like 4-5 mm long.
    Wearing these, I could sprint down an entire street of black ice as comfortably as I would on a dry road in mid june.
    I have a pair I keep at home, and another I keep in my car. They're incredible for making sure you get through a winter without a sore butt.

You can also get ones like these
    41ZTP3klh2L.jpg
    for heels.

• Options
    Why not just wear boots though? Are heels with those things on it still fashionable?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    Why not just wear boots though? Are heels with those things on it still fashionable?

y ... yes? I mean, they're still heels?

edit: also even my grippiest boots don't have metal spikes.

tynic on
  • Options
    I think they look nIce

:smugface:

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I need those...

• Options
    edited January 2018
    You *can* buy boots with those metal pegs built into them, but I think it's important to have something which is removable because wearing those things indoors is rude as hell because they absolutely will damage the floors of places/stores you go to.

Also boots are not going to keep you from slipping on black ice any more than heels. If you're going to be buying a pair of cleats anyway, why not just wear your heels with them?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    I'm going to buy a pair real soon I think. I almost died on the way into my hema group Monday because I parked in black ice. I would not want to fuck up the church gym though.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

I just wasn't sure if it still looked good?

I've overheard lots of grumping about smudges/salt/dirt and all that just wondering if those gigantic bands and cleats would even qualify for those kinds of people.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm going to buy a pair real soon I think. I almost died on the way into my hema group Monday because I parked in black ice. I would not want to fuck up the church gym though.

You can get them on amazon for like 10-15$.
    You can get more expensive ones, but they aren't really much better, maybe a bit more longevity.

• Options
    edited January 2018

I just wasn't sure if it still looked good?

I've overheard lots of grumping about smudges/salt/dirt and all that just wondering if those gigantic bands and cleats would even qualify for those kinds of people.

I mean
    if you were wearing heels that weren't boots presumably you would be going somewhere that was indoors
    in which case you would take off the the wraps when going inside
    these would just help you get from car/subway to where you were going without dying.

like, I'm trying to envision where people would be wearing those heels and standing around outside for hours and I'm coming up with, like, news anchors maybe.

tynic on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

You can get them on amazon for like 10-15$.
    You can get more expensive ones, but they aren't really much better, maybe a bit more longevity.

in my size I think they are 17.50?

Well worth it though probably.

I'm a big guy (who has a bad habit walking toe first) so I really don't want to take a spill and end up landing on my arm or something and getting hurt.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular

I went over and thanked and subtly let him know I bought a massive bone chilling new snowblower for future use.
    Snow blow the yard.

Be the only house on the block with visible grass.

• Options
    Speaking of Ice, this is going to be a rough weekend with the rain and the drop between 60F and 20F isn't it?

• Options
    mcp wrote: »

Snow blow the yard.

Be the only house on the block with visible grass.

I was honestly considering it.

• Options
    Yup.

We just had two days of positive degree temperatures and rain.

Tonight it'll be down to -9, tomorrow morning it'll be ~ -15, and sunday will be like -20.
    It's also estimated to be about 15ish cm of snow this weekend.

• Options
    Yup.

We just had two days of positive degree temperatures and rain.

Tonight it'll be down to -9, tomorrow morning it'll be ~ -15, and sunday will be like -20.
    It's also estimated to be about 15ish cm of snow this weekend.

so much black ice oh no

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Speaking of Ice, this is going to be a rough weekend with the rain and the drop between 60F and 20F isn't it?

The city's going to be a sheet of black ice, yeah. I'm real glad I have no real plans to go anywhere.

• Options
    It's 16C in Cambridge right now.

What the fuck.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

The city's going to be a sheet of black ice, yeah. I'm real glad I have no real plans to go anywhere.

Yeah, it's not the worst time for my car to be in the shop with a bad alternator.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I have 3 liters of Templeton Rye at the house, a fireplace, and am currently binge watching Star Trek Voyager.

I am ready for a black ice weekend.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    It's 16C in Cambridge right now.

What the fuck.

#newenglandthings

• Options
    I probably should not have went out in that.

a 45 minute drive turned into a 2 and a half hour drive.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The DC metro is cast entirely in brutalism-lite concrete forms. It was in the upper 60s F today while the metro was still super cold from last week, so every surface is drenched. The walls are sweating, the ceilings are dripping, it’s like the entire system was flooded just five minutes prior. You can’t even set up some fans to dry it out because the concrete is still cold.

VRXwDW7.png