Options

[Steam] Thread: Games, games, and more games - all the games!!!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Indiegala has Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin for $6.99. Seems like a pretty good deal. I never got through DS2; I was disappointed by it at launch and dropped off, but I grabbed this and will give it another shot.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Since Saturday, I've been giving Fallout 4 a break to cheat on my Steam backlog with . . . my PS4 backlog. The more I play Uncharted, the more I wonder why in this age of Tomb Raider reboots and Uncharted games, we haven't seen Disney farm out the rights to Indiana Jones games to some studio to do a quasi-TombCharted clone series. The gameplay on both are a lot of fun.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Since Saturday, I've been giving Fallout 4 a break to cheat on my Steam backlog with . . . my PS4 backlog. The more I play Uncharted, the more I wonder why in this age of Tomb Raider reboots and Uncharted games, we haven't seen Disney farm out the rights to Indiana Jones games to some studio to do a quasi-TombCharted clone series. The gameplay on both are a lot of fun.

IDK what Disney's AAA game strategy is, but it is not good. We should be getting hit with big release Star Wars and Marvel games at least once a year, not to mention their other IP.

I think they are just super shy of the bad media that less than perfect games might bring to their very valuable brands. The loot boxes in Battlefront 2 were bad, but it could be worse.

Also there's a lot more competition when it comes to good game IP compared to movies.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

While the games have been done well enough I don't know if they've done well enough for people to want to make a bandwagon and jump on it. Not everyone's a fan of that style of linear cinematic style game and I often come across players who played the older Tomb Raider games lamenting that a lot of the more open level design from the classic games is gone. I love the new take on Lara as a character but one of my fondest memories of the series was running around desperately shooting a T-Rex trying to maul me so I can understand people who think something has been lost.

Plus Indiana Jones's more recent films haven't exactly generated a lot of positive buzz so that limits the market for that license a bit. It's a harder sell if the only Indy movie that's come out in a gamer's life time is Crystal Skull.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

While the games have been done well enough I don't know if they've done well enough for people to want to make a bandwagon and jump on it. Not everyone's a fan of that style of linear cinematic style game and I often come across players who played the older Tomb Raider games lamenting that a lot of the more open level design from the classic games is gone. I love the new take on Lara as a character but one of my fondest memories of the series was running around desperately shooting a T-Rex trying to maul me so I can understand people who think something has been lost.

Plus Indiana Jones's more recent films haven't exactly generated a lot of positive buzz so that limits the market for that license a bit. It's a harder sell if the only Indy movie that's come out in a gamer's life time is Crystal Skull.

I suppose that's true, though they seem to be doing well in their own realm. Also, I enjoyed Crystal Skull, as well as the other films. I just feel like "truly supernatural adventures in an adventure serial style" would be a fantastic direction for a game studio to go with the Uncharted/Tomb Raider formula. Like, At least Tomb Raider 2013 went a bit more real with their approach up until, like, the eleventh hour, and at least the first Uncharted (this is my first time through) seems to be taking a "legendary but explainable" route. The Jones mcguffin was always truly supernatural in nature, and was always an object. That's what I'm hankering for.

I feel like it's more that they just don't have anyone that knows what to do with the story, nor how to adapt it for video games.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Apparently the games to be added next week to Tier 2 (BTA) have been leaked:
    Nex Machina
    Human Fall Flat
    Flat Kingdom Paper's Cut Edition

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Most of Disney's IP is probably more profitable on mobile, so that's where most of the core Disney/Pixar stuff goes.

Disney had an in house studio for non-mobile games, until Disney Infinity killed it, so it's taken them awhile to get their act together.

EA got the exclusive Star War license, so Star Wars games are only going to come out when EA puts them out.

Disney has a few Marvel projects being worked on by other studios. (Spider-Man at Insomniac, Avengers at Crystal Dynamix)

Stuff like Indiana Jones can be sat until until when (or if) a new movie or TV show or whatever comes out.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I suppose that's true, though they seem to be doing well in their own realm. Also, I enjoyed Crystal Skull, as well as the other films. I just feel like "truly supernatural adventures in an adventure serial style" would be a fantastic direction for a game studio to go with the Uncharted/Tomb Raider formula. Like, At least Tomb Raider 2013 went a bit more real with their approach up until, like, the eleventh hour, and at least the first Uncharted (this is my first time through) seems to be taking a "legendary but explainable" route. The Jones mcguffin was always truly supernatural in nature, and was always an object. That's what I'm hankering for.

I feel like it's more that they just don't have anyone that knows what to do with the story, nor how to adapt it for video games.

That previously was a theme of Tomb Raider. That T-Rex battle? From the original game. Which ended with a chase to Atlantis.

Rise had the mystical elements more front and center but you didn't actually interact with it until the end.

I think the writing staff is still trying to figure out how much of the classic Tomb Raider weirdness they can bring in while still having grounded characters. It's never really clear how accepted the supernatural bits are in the new setting as no one seemed to really bat an eye at the weird stuff happening at the end of the reboot and it's never explained if Lara's father was shunned because of focusing on a supernatural doohickey or focusing on a supernatural doohickey that was considered crazy even by supernatural doohickey standards.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Apparently the games to be added next week to Tier 2 (BTA) have been leaked:
    Nex Machina
    Human Fall Flat
    Flat Kingdom Paper's Cut Edition

If you're on the money Hit it, then my nod goes towards getting the BTA tier for N++ and Nex Machina. Both will grind your soul to dust, but in a good way. Bloody fantastic soundtracks too, NM especially as it keeps a constant tempo which makes it good for gym stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Most of Disney's IP is probably more profitable on mobile, so that's where most of the core Disney/Pixar stuff goes.

Disney had an in house studio for non-mobile games, until Disney Infinity killed it, so it's taken them awhile to get their act together.

EA got the exclusive Star War license, so Star Wars games are only going to come out when EA puts them out.

Disney has a few Marvel projects being worked on by other studios. (Spider-Man at Insomniac, Avengers at Crystal Dynamix)

Stuff like Indiana Jones can be sat until until when (or if) a new movie or TV show or whatever comes out.
    Smurph wrote: »
    IDK what Disney's AAA game strategy is, but it is not good. We should be getting hit with big release Star Wars and Marvel games at least once a year, not to mention their other IP.

I think they are just super shy of the bad media that less than perfect games might bring to their very valuable brands. The loot boxes in Battlefront 2 were bad, but it could be worse.

Also there's a lot more competition when it comes to good game IP compared to movies.

I sort of feel like Disney needs to acquire or build a good, solid game studio with all the money they've apparently got now. They've got so many potentially good games that aren't being made because (or at least this seems like the because) they don't have a good handle on video games in the first place. I feel like Walt would have seen all this new tech to make stories and be pissed that they weren't using it.
    That previously was a theme of Tomb Raider. That T-Rex battle? From the original game. Which ended with a chase to Atlantis.

Rise had the mystical elements more front and center but you didn't actually interact with it until the end.

I think the writing staff is still trying to figure out how much of the classic Tomb Raider weirdness they can bring in while still having grounded characters. It's never really clear how accepted the supernatural bits are in the new setting as no one seemed to really bat an eye at the weird stuff happening at the end of the reboot and it's never explained if Lara's father was shunned because of focusing on a supernatural doohickey or focusing on a supernatural doohickey that was considered crazy even by supernatural doohickey standards.

They need to just go for it. Hit us with the patently ridiculous.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Last day of June is 40% off at the mo. I believe someone said it's good fun. Worth the £8?

Yes.

---
    @Zavian if you haven't listened to some of the episodes of History on Fire, you really need to do that.

• Options
    Hm. Yep.

• Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    I beat the slop outta Portal. :biggrin: Great game, but it was pretty short.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Coffey wrote: »
    I beat the slop outta Portal. :biggrin: Great game, but it was pretty short.

2 is much longer (but still not that long)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmm, not really sure what game to play/stream tomorrow. I'm burning through my library quickly. I've already beaten several games on stream. One thing about streaming is that it gives you an excuse to play through games that you had put on the backburner. I was hoping I was going to hear back about the Alpha for Survived By, but I guess not.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Last day of June is 40% off at the mo. I believe someone said it's good fun. Worth the £8?

Yes.

---
    @Zavian if you haven't listened to some of the episodes of History on Fire, you really need to do that.

That's a good one! I also enjoyed the History of Rome podcast as well as the BBC's In Our Time podcast. As well as any documentary with Mary Beard who is my fav modern historian.

To keep this on topic, for those that may not know, my avatar is from Total War: Rome II, which is one of my most played games of all time (as my Steam profile can attest), and which is still getting DLC!
    https://youtu.be/YhKhntVPbZ0

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I ran out of lives in 1001 spikes halfway through Antartica, and the game doesn't truly 'game over' you, but it does essentially make you wait an extra minute every three lives to continue, so I think I'm going to consider it 'complete' since I arguably beat the main game and fully devote my time into finishing a Darkest Dungeon run.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Coffey wrote: »
    Hmm, not really sure what game to play/stream tomorrow. I'm burning through my library quickly. I've already beaten several games on stream. One thing about streaming is that it gives you an excuse to play through games that you had put on the backburner. I was hoping I was going to hear back about the Alpha for Survived By, but I guess not.

Monster girl meyroidvania? I cannot remember the name though....

Edit:
    Khimera: destroy all monster girls

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/798670680707894089/A4B897F20CABA81E71DB8157E74B96EFCBE21CF8/

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Right now, I'm leaning toward Child of Light, which is a game in my library that I have never played before. Had to have been a gift from one of you that I overlooked. It's apparently a turn-based RPG & it looks beautiful. Has really positive reviews & apparently a great soundtrack too. Something different that will look pretty on stream & (hopefully) be more chill as I've been doing a lot of action sort of stuff lately (other than Portal). Between Friday the 13th, Mad Max & Saints Row... there's been a lot of murder.

I went through all of saved pictures & can't find who gifted me the game though, which makes me look like an ungrateful heathen. I'm sorry. :(

EDIT: It was from @Gear Girl for my birthday in 2016. :)

jvub9zl2r6e4.jpg

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    It's great, I really enjoyed it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The movement speed and flashiness make RUINER a visual cacophony in a really good way. I don't care about i-frames or melee range, I'm dashing around, hacking and blasting goons to pieces far too fast in an amphetamine frenzy to care.

There is an ability to drop-pod in a weapon of your choosing every 25 seconds. I have no damned idea when you're supposed to slow down for even a moment to use it, and keep an eye on refresh timer ticking down. Pointless! Kill! Steal their weapon! Kill again!

There is an ability that gives you unlimited dashes while active, but uses energy at a high rate. There is another ability that increases your reflexes (read: time dilation) and lethality that also uses your energy. Finally, there is a passive ability that recharges extra energy upon killing an enemy. This game has many delectable synergies like this one muahahaha

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem to be live on Steam yet, but HITMAN's episode 2 will be free from today until April 3rd.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    It doesn't seem to be live on Steam yet, but HITMAN's episode 2 will be free from today until April 3rd.

@Pixelated Pixie get on it! It's free! It's good!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

@Pixelated Pixie get on it! It's free! It's good!

Thanks but zero interest. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The kid wants to buy Eco this weekend. After some initial confusion of being super excited that he wants to find a copy of Ico I realized it's a Steam game. Anyone tried it?

• Options
    edited March 2018
    So there I was, hanging out in chat on Monday. Then this happens:

9d8q63wvitj3.jpg
    uo2jl4qn6uu7.jpg
    06b4p01abp81.jpg

Srsly, @Mr_Grinch is right there without a proper Steam backlog.

( <3 thank you @Pixelated Pixie for The Vagrant! You're almost as bad as @Stabbity Style and Rakuen)

Mugsley on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

I sort of feel like Disney needs to acquire or build a good, solid game studio with all the money they've apparently got now. They've got so many potentially good games that aren't being made because (or at least this seems like the because) they don't have a good handle on video games in the first place. I feel like Walt would have seen all this new tech to make stories and be pissed that they weren't using it.

Just buying a successful studio and having them make Marvel games is something they can totally do right now. I don't think they should be putting all their eggs in a small amount of baskets though. I want them to farm out IP to a bunch of smaller studios, maybe even stuff they aren't using in the movies. Give me a funny Nextwave game or a superhero X-COM where I have to build my own teams of heroes and fight Marvel bad guys. Make a kid-friendly Iron Man game that's mostly about building and showing off unique armors and less about combat. There were tons of fun Marvel games in the 90s across a bunch of genres and even DC has a big Batman series going. No excuses, Marvel.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So there I was, hanging out in chat on Monday. Then this happens:

9d8q63wvitj3.jpg
    uo2jl4qn6uu7.jpg
    06b4p01abp81.jpg

Srsly, @Mr_Grinch is right there without a proper Steam backlog.

( <3 thank you @Pixelated Pixie for The Vagrant! You're almost as bad as @Stabbity Style and Rakuen)

I'm glad it wasn't me! I've not yet GIFTED anyone and I'd feel guilty being gifted myself before then :smile:

This month has been an expensive one, buying a gaming pc and a Rift (oh my god I'm having so much fun with that) but payday is Friday and I plan to get my gift on then.

OK, actually it's my wife's payday, mine is end of the month, but it still counts.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    EDIT: Bugger, tweet deleted.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Oh for eff's sake. Why would you announce something like this IF YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE PERMISSION FIRST?

your link appears broken.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Huh?

• Options
    I saw the link beforehand to something on Twitter about a Tomb Raider remake? Looks broken.

Now it just looks like he's yelling at me for saying I'm going to spend my wife's money...

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Is episode one also free? Asking from work, where my connectivity is limited.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Is episode one also free? Asking from work, where my connectivity is limited.
    Yes, they made the 1st episode free to download last year:
    http://www.hitman.com/free

This is big news: We're making the first location in HITMAN free to download for everyone!

"I'm proud to announce that our first hello as an independent studio is to invite all gamers to play the beginning of HITMAN for free. There is a lot of love out there for HITMAN and with this offering we hope that many more will fall in love with the game. We believe that this is Hitman at its best. So jump in and give a try.” - Hakan Abrak, CEO Io-Interactive.

The ICA Facility will be available as a free download on PS4, Xbox One and PC starting today - and we're extremely excited to see more players try the game. The download includes absolutely everything that we've released for that location; two story missions (including all cut-scenes), two Escalation Contracts, more than 40 challenges, 17 achievements and trophies, plus thousands of player-created missions in Contracts Mode - all of that is now available completely free of charge.

Players who download the ICA Facility for free will be able to keep all of their progress when they upgrade to the full game - plus we've lined up some discounts on the full game to make this a great time to buy. We're talking up to 60% off on some platforms!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I saw the link beforehand to something on Twitter about a Tomb Raider remake? Looks broken.

Now it just looks like he's yelling at me for saying I'm going to spend my wife's money...

So a company called Realtech VR was apparently making enhanced versions of Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3, which sits atop the PC DOS versions of the games. They had Youtube videos of it running. They tweeted today that S-E said "nope" and thus took down their videos.

Now the tweet has been deleted so who knows.

• Options
    Just buying a successful studio and having them make Marvel games is something they can totally do right now. I don't think they should be putting all their eggs in a small amount of baskets though. I want them to farm out IP to a bunch of smaller studios, maybe even stuff they aren't using in the movies. Give me a funny Nextwave game or a superhero X-COM where I have to build my own teams of heroes and fight Marvel bad guys. Make a kid-friendly Iron Man game that's mostly about building and showing off unique armors and less about combat. There were tons of fun Marvel games in the 90s across a bunch of genres and even DC has a big Batman series going. No excuses, Marvel.

Seriously. But it's not just that. I mean, their revived Ducktales cartoon could easily be adapted into an amalgam of the Uncharted-style traversal with the Telltale adventure game chat and puzzles to find the treasure of the game episode, and done well it would be fun and make kids feel smart. They could even include quicktime style battle events, and allow each character to have an "episode". And from the sound of things, they're evaluating bringing back other "Disney Afternoon" cartoons that I think would benefit from similar treatment. I'm not talking or worrying so much about "the popular stuff" in that vein, since adventure games are already niche, as are Telltale games, but I'm just imagining standing in an old temple as Scrooge, and walking around talking to "the lads" and getting a different response from each of them; Huey pulls out the Guidebook to consult it for clues on how to open the way, Louie sips out of a coconut while off-handedly saying that this is all too much work, Dewey thinks they should climb the pillars, then Huey notices the symbols at the top of the room, and finally, Webby offers to shoot her grappling gun up so Scrooge can get up top.

I mean, Disney has a bunch of materials, and I really think their mistakes on games of the past is to assume every game should be a cookie-cutter mediocre 2D/3D platformer. Some should be more Character Action/Adventure style games, some feel more like they should be episodic adventure games, and still others feel like they lend themselves to the Uncharted/Tomb Raider style of "almost movie" style games.

I just feel like there's a lot of wasted potential, is all.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    god I would kill for a new DuckTales game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    god I would kill for a new DuckTales game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider

But, like, with fights that require you to either fight quicktime-event style (Slide under the beagle boy, hit the switch, close the door), or a puzzle-stealth type of thing, etc. I mean, they don't use guns, so the combat would need to be more or less a puzzle instead of firearms or fisticuffs, generally speaking.

I mean, unless you're playing Beakley. Or Donald. :lol:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Some people are having trouble adding Hitman Episode 2 to their Steam accounts. If that's your case, try following these steps which worked for me:
    -First, make sure you have HITMAN™ Free Trial already added to your account. If you don't, use this link to begin installing it and to add it to your account:
    steam://run/649780
    -Once you have on your account (you can check it here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/) use the following link to add Episode 2:
    steam://install/439890

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aladdin cartoons and movies would provide great open world fodder as you play their child retaking the kingdom from.....Oh wait, Mosenwrath's voice actor died, Mirage then.

This discussion has been closed.