As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

1333435363739»

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Oops, yeah. I meant "Reputation."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Ahhh, that makes sense then.

I looked up the reputation mechanic, and sounds like if I start using Sun to level her up, it would reset our reputation to 0? So I should probably stick with the Scoundrel for now?
    Especially since our Cragheart player is doing a lot of tanky supporty stuff that it seems like Sun is built around filling the role of.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 23
    No, reputation doesn't reset

Unless you start a completely new/separate party. Which would be like starting a new save file, basically.

The adventuring party in Gloomhaven is the Ship of Theseus, even after you retire and replace all the members, it's still the same party

Fry on
  • Options
    Well then I am so damn excited.

image.png?ex=6611dd71&is=65ff6871&hm=cc88a8625f13f27458cafb418c61533bba2b56963e3f1416ddeb55961d1bbae5&

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Heck yeah. Sun is really fun to play, especially if it's your first unlock.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Definitely one of the more self-contained characters. Can provide most of its own elements, has hit, heal, and a few choice moves. And a few supportive effects when enemies are sparse.

Only advice is be sparing with the perma-upgrades. Perma shield and perma retaliate are nice but they're restrictive in their downsides, and activating them early runs the risk of exhaustion from running out of cards.

• Options
    got in a bonus game to take her for a spin. We didn't win the scenario, but it was definitely a convincing sell on the class. Def gonna be having to make the hard choices from now on if I want to play her or my Scoundrel.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

Definitely one of the more self-contained characters. Can provide most of its own elements, has hit, heal, and a few choice moves. And a few supportive effects when enemies are sparse.

Only advice is be sparing with the perma-upgrades. Perma shield and perma retaliate are nice but they're restrictive in their downsides, and activating them early runs the risk of exhaustion from running out of cards.

Permashield with the upgrade and especially the unique shield is pretty fun in a goofy way. No other class can really accomplish the tasks you can do at that point although you end up with absolutely terrible damage.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Notes in the original Gloomhaven. So much support to the rest of the team in terms of buffs and crowd control, and probably one of the best combat decks once you've levelled up and modified it. You won't be doing much damage, but my group were always surprised when I did have to roll up my sleeves and hit something.

I'm pretty sure Notes allowed my playing group to up the level difficulty.

I think some scenario effects in Gloomhaven weren't a tremendous amount of fun with some of the guest designed scenarios being a particular low, but Notes seemed to alleviate them.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited March 26
    For my group, there was a strong correlation between scenarios being unfun garbage and scenarios with guest designers.

I imagine there were some good guest designed scenarios, but every time something was awful, we looked and yeah, guest designed by whoever

Fry on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sun really benefits from Gloomhaven's simpler enhancement rules. Enhancing their permanent shield by +1 is nuts is the best deal in the game.

Notes was a super fun class to play. As it's so support focused, I think 2 player groups won't love it as much. But for 3-4 it's probably the best class that isn't totally broken-good (Eclipse, Three Spears). It's close to broken-good, but not quite there IMO. It's not a buffbot, or at least, not just a buffbot, most of its support comes as enemy debuffing.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    For my group, there was a strong correlation between scenarios being unfun garbage and scenarios with guest designers.

I imagine there were some good guest designed scenarios, but every time something was awful, we looked and yeah, guest designed by whoever

I don’t care if I’m spoiling this scenario as it was garbage and had no storyline attached to it. Also we played this during lockdown in 2020 and we’d do 1-2 a scenarios on a Friday.

The worst one I played was a 3 tile open map full of acidic slimes and those fairies that add curse cards. You just got poisoned straight away, mobs would multiply, and your attacks would just miss. And you’ve got to kill 3 trees.

My group played it twice on a high difficulty and failed to kill the last tree. My team mates thought we were being unlucky and I had to go through how garbage the scenario was.

They wanted to do a third attempt and I said they were welcome to do that but they’d be doing it without me if we kept it the same difficult. So we lowered it down and did it….just.

I wouldn’t say it made me angry but my friends were well aware of how I felt about it.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I don’t care if I’m spoiling this scenario as it was garbage and had no storyline attached to it. Also we played this during lockdown in 2020 and we’d do 1-2 a scenarios on a Friday.

The worst one I played was a 3 tile open map full of acidic slimes and those fairies that add curse cards. You just got poisoned straight away, mobs would multiply, and your attacks would just miss. And you’ve got to kill 3 trees.

My group played it twice on a high difficulty and failed to kill the last tree. My team mates thought we were being unlucky and I had to go through how garbage the scenario was.

They wanted to do a third attempt and I said they were welcome to do that but they’d be doing it without me if we kept it the same difficult. So we lowered it down and did it….just.

I wouldn’t say it made me angry but my friends were well aware of how I felt about it.

That one in particular is notoriously bad. And it kind of is a story quest, in that it gates most of the Town Records stuff.

That scenario is a summation of all the worst design decisions: massive open map, constantly spawning enemies, the spawned enemies spawn more enemies, the scenario design punishes you for grouping up but it also punishes you for splitting, poison and curse spam, enemies with massive variability in their actions from round to round (multi attack vs do nothing), tight choke points that are in the enemies' favor rather than yours

Fry on
  • Options

I stayed with my first character, a Spellweaver, til level 9 just to take Inferno:
    a7d12wu3f0du.png
    to that scenario. Won in 3 turns and retired right after.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Sun really benefits from Gloomhaven's simpler enhancement rules. Enhancing their permanent shield by +1 is nuts is the best deal in the game.

Notes was a super fun class to play. As it's so support focused, I think 2 player groups won't love it as much. But for 3-4 it's probably the best class that isn't totally broken-good (Eclipse, Three Spears). It's close to broken-good, but not quite there IMO. It's not a buffbot, or at least, not just a buffbot, most of its support comes as enemy debuffing.

It gets close if you're playing with a lot of juicy familiars.

When I had Notes,
    I had Summoner and Beast Tyrant (and something else for the fourth). Put up Shield 1, and Retaliate 2, and a lot of fights got absurd. Especially with the Beast Tyrant sending Bear into the middle, and letting him take a beating.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Notes in the original Gloomhaven. So much support to the rest of the team in terms of buffs and crowd control, and probably one of the best combat decks once you've levelled up and modified it. You won't be doing much damage, but my group were always surprised when I did have to roll up my sleeves and hit something.

I'm pretty sure Notes allowed my playing group to up the level difficulty.

I think some scenario effects in Gloomhaven weren't a tremendous amount of fun with some of the guest designed scenarios being a particular low, but Notes seemed to alleviate them.

We had a team of Eclipse, Notes, 2 Mini, and Lightning Bolt at one point. To say it trivializes content would be a severe understatement. We ended up increasing the difficulty quite a bit with no signs of slowing down. Not even bosses were a problem thanks to the straight damage as well as piece removal we had.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

My group ran into some unfun scenarios, but ironically the oozes and fairies mission ended up being a breeze. Part of the reason may have been unintentional cheating, but we still felt awesome. Key classes for our 4 person group on that one were Cragheart and Beast Tyrant. Cragheart has a card that let's you destroy obstacles, which the spawning trees counted as and Beast Tyrant has a swap two minis burn card. We had the cragheart insta-kill the closest tree to the spawn point, then get swapped with a mini near a far tree, use a stamina recovery card to get the destroy objects card back, then insta-kill a second tree. If there were, and maybe a few turns later get another tree. This turned the mission from a slog to a romp, though still with a challenge.

• Options
    I think there is a rule somewhere that you cannot use "destroy an obstacle" abilities on obstacles that are objectives. So yeah, you probably cheated. As I said though, it's a garbage mission, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited March 28
    It was awesome and honestly, its the type of breaking the rules that is fun, but generally okay to have your players pull off when running a D&D campaign, so I don't feel bad at all.

The Cragheart was my second character, and it felt weird for the group to go back to having limited terrain manipulation after I ended up retiring the character.

Besides, GH balance is all over the place. Pulling that off was mild compared to the shenanigans that Eclipse, Two-Mini, Quartermaster, or Spellweaver got up to as far as breaking a scenario through their abilities entirely legitimately, but which decreased the fun for everyone else.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    Starting a Fist in Frosthaven tonight. I was all set to go Meteor but Spoilers for the Algox line:
    We also have a Snowflake and the idea of an Frostspeaker Unity Squad was too good. They also seem like they would be quite good together mechanically to boot.

• Options
    Oh and I retired Trap to do it. Great class, definitely A tier.
    We had a "don't let the monsters step on this tile" scenario for my second-last one. With Trapper? Ha, good luck monsters. I had them conga-lining all over the place trying to hit that spot.

Last scenario had bombs. Which are just like bigger, better traps. Also tons of fun on a character with great movement.

Just a great class for shenanigans, much like Blinkblade, and Eclipse before him. You can just direct traffic if you've got anything but an empty room to work with.

The level 5 card you can get to spring all traps and make them hit a nearby enemy is an excellent finishing move for lots of scenarios. Just a truckload of true damage from the 2-3 traps you have in range of the boss/whatever. It's nice to be able to say "I'm killing the boss this turn" during planning.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Finally retired my Geminate and I'm going to roll a Trap next, started looking at the cards and I'm very excited

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 11
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Finally retired my Geminate and I'm going to roll a Trap next, started looking at the cards and I'm very excited

Trap rules. You can do so much hijinks and bullshit with it. Almost any scenario that isn't just ranged or flying enemies, or just kill all enemies, they punch well above other classes.
    The perk to be able to step on traps is (obviously) one you really want. I recommend getting it with your initial perk allotment if you can. Your attack modifier deck hardly matters, I don't think I ever made more than 2-3 attacks per scenario, so grab all those misc perks first. Trap before first turn is particularly great.

captaink on