[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

1272829303133»

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I've been playing the steam version and it's pretty fun. It's on sale right now. Didn't realize it's be a year before the campaign released though.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think I'm stuck on sunken costs for the physical game and therefore can't allow myself to embrace the video game.

What is this I don't even.
    Fishman
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Jaws of the Lion #15 is brutal.

Still won it first try, but with one character standing on their last viable turn.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Fry
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I've been playing the steam version and it's pretty fun. It's on sale right now. Didn't realize it's be a year before the campaign released though.

What's the Steam version like these days? I recall a year ago it was in pretty rough shape and pretty much just a toy. Is there an actual campaign now? Do the mechanics work? Is it fun?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

What's the Steam version like these days? I recall a year ago it was in pretty rough shape and pretty much just a toy. Is there an actual campaign now? Do the mechanics work? Is it fun?

It's playable and the only way I'll ever get to play it so it's ok. Campaign isn't available yet, just an adventure mode with random missions I believe. Campaign will be a 1:1 copy of the board game.

It's playable, and fun, but I miss the personell quests and playing with other people. One of the draws was you didn't know what another player was going to do.

But I tried like 3 different groups in tabletop simulator and they never went anywhere so maybe I'll be able to actually play the game now. It was too hard for my to justify abourchase of the board game to play with my girlfriend.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Did the second scenario of Forgotten Circles. I can see what they're going for here, but wooooow is this scenario unpleasant.

Virgil_Leads_You
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

It's playable and the only way I'll ever get to play it so it's ok. Campaign isn't available yet, just an adventure mode with random missions I believe. Campaign will be a 1:1 copy of the board game.

It's playable, and fun, but I miss the personell quests and playing with other people. One of the draws was you didn't know what another player was going to do.

But I tried like 3 different groups in tabletop simulator and they never went anywhere so maybe I'll be able to actually play the game now. It was too hard for my to justify abourchase of the board game to play with my girlfriend.

Will it have online multiplayer?

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It has online multiplayer already

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I played a bit of online multi over Christmas break and it works really well. Having also played in real cardboard/plastic and over TTS I'd say this was my favourite implementation as it has all the automation and you can trust it to work. They just need to get that proper campaign in now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 8
    Lost a scenario in Forgotten Circles. Didn't even get out of the first room (granted, only two rooms in the scenario).

I'm noticing a theme where every scenario just has a ton of bad guys to carve through. Which sucks, because you're required to play the Diviner who basically doesn't get to attack at all.

Also, we lost one of our players; he helpfully gave us a replacement player, but ugh these scenarios suck for teaching new players.

Fry on
  • finnithfinnith TorontoRegistered User regular
    The best part about the Gloomhaven video game is that it does all the enemy turns and LoS stuff for you, which is imo the most tedious part of the board game.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    antherem
    edited January 15
    Tried scenario 99 again. Folks had to call it a night at the three hour mark, when we were just finishing up the first room. Everyone took notes on their status, and we'll try to resume next time. I believe we had finished eight rounds of play.

This scenario would maybe be ok if we weren't saddled with a Diviner. This is the most front-loaded with enemies of any scenarios we have played, I think, and the Diviner is all long term value. If I had a character that could do some quick offense, that would make it a bit more reasonable.

Incidentally, next time someone complains about Oozes, I'm going to have them try this scenario.

Fry on
    Ok, finished Scenario 99, total playing time of nearly seven hours across two days. Barf.

Granted, some of that was delays due to a new player, but still. Barf. Just too much to carve through.

edited 7:04AM
    With quite a few hours of puzzling, I managed to solve the cipher introduced in scenario 97, with only one of the in-game clues. Feeling pretty smart right now.

Vague discussion of the cipher. Specifies which clue I had to work with:
    Dominic came through big! His clue, along with a few educated guesses about what kinds of words were likely to appear in the text, allowed me to eventually get all of the alphabetic characters. Couldn't do the digits, obviously, and I'm shaking my fist at presumably Marcel for putting those in. Still, I had enough to know I had the right answer.

Quite a lot harder than the cipher in the base game. Which I worked out by hand from a single message, not realizing that the decoder was included in the box and intended to be used, oops.

Fry at
    Elvenshae
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    With quite a few hours of puzzling, I managed to solve the cipher introduced in scenario 97, with only one of the in-game clues. Feeling pretty smart right now.

Vague discussion of the cipher. Specifies which clue I had to work with:
    Dominic came through big! His clue, along with a few educated guesses about what kinds of words were likely to appear in the text, allowed me to eventually get all of the alphabetic characters. Couldn't do the digits, obviously, and I'm shaking my fist at presumably Marcel for putting those in. Still, I had enough to know I had the right answer.

Quite a lot harder than the cipher in the base game. Which I worked out by hand from a single message, not realizing that the decoder was included in the box and intended to be used, oops.

Is it another stupid alternate reality game?

Sic transit gloria mundi.