As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Yesssss I love that, @NightDragon !

Edit: Where is it from - and has it arrived yet?

Janson on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That image has a great LOL FUCK YOU EUROPE AND THE GDPR YOU RODE IN ON page instead which is fun :)

Sounds like a very nice dresser though!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Stained or varnished wood doesn't do it for me AT ALL. I love natural wood grain, but imo the best way to bring it out is with a simple oil rub for sealant. I do enjoy that burnt wood finish though, where the wood grain takes on darker tones. But again, I like it finished with simple methods. Painted wood can be hit or miss.

I'm really particular about carpentry and wood, when it comes to furniture. I don't know why. I'm not even a wood worker. Other than, like, pinewood derby and stage crew stuff. We did build a few pieces of furniture from scratch for our run of Glass Menagerie that turned out pretty great though. At least good enough for the audience lol

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of plywood with faux-varnished wood grain stickers applied
    wait no that's just what I can afford T_T

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

It's from West Elm - I just got it like a week or two ago (I honestly can't remember, the weeks blend together I've had so much to do haha). That brand knows me, man. Half the time that I try to look up a particular kind of houseware and I'll click on a really great looking one, and it'll be from West Elm.

This is also one of my first pieces REAL ADULT FURNITURE (tm)!!! I basically had to purchase everything new when I moved here two months ago, and I decided to buy stuff that'll last me years, that I really like, and matches my aesthetic. My bank account is weeping but I know it'll recover. Happy to have nice things though, finally. :D

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stained or varnished wood doesn't do it for me AT ALL. I love natural wood grain, but imo the best way to bring it out is with a simple oil rub for sealant. I do enjoy that burnt wood finish though, where the wood grain takes on darker tones. But again, I like it finished with simple methods. Painted wood can be hit or miss.

I just re-did the wet oil-sanded finish on my work/dining table this morning. Didn't do a very thorough job on the sand-back, because I don't want to put a huge amount of work into it when I know it's gonna get knocked around next time I move (plus I only have a mouse sander right now and it was killing my hands - I got rid of the paint stains and accumulated dents and then said fuck it re: evening the tone). But it should tide me over for a year or two, and next time I do it I might have the time and tools to re-set the planks as well.

3it9pwmknmjk.jpg

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Dresser was a bust. Quality was for shit and nope. The hunt continues!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hello Fashion thread.

When 2018 hit I decided to stop shaving, it’s been over 150 days since then. And then a couple months ago life and work got busy and I didn’t get around to getting a haircut. And then I broke my ankle and I’ve been stuck at home, which is all to say that my current hair situation is... a lot:
    dxg91cubn5yf.jpeg

That said I now have a lot of hair canvas to work with and a lot of time to contemplate what to do with it all. Having been a clean shaven fellow up into this point I don’t exactly know what to do with it all or how to coordinate beard and hair.

What do fashion thread?

• Options
    see what it looks like in another 150 days

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see what it looks like in another 150 days

It’s tempting, I work construction so I could totally get away with it too.

That said my nickname at the job site has become Fidel and that’s less than great.

• Options
    I’m off to look at West Elm

I was bummed at how much furniture we had to give up in the move, and I ended up buying a shit-ton of cheap stuff at ikea when we arrived here. I do look forward to replacing it all one day! I have to say, though, that ikea does do cheap pretty well. The stuff we have isn’t pretty but it’s sturdy and functional.

• Options
    I’m off to look at West Elm

I was bummed at how much furniture we had to give up in the move, and I ended up buying a shit-ton of cheap stuff at ikea when we arrived here. I do look forward to replacing it all one day! I have to say, though, that ikea does do cheap pretty well. The stuff we have isn’t pretty but it’s sturdy and functional.

I did the whole move and replace furniture with ikea thing recently too and yeah they are a god send as a stop gap. I’m hoping to replace my stuff slowly for a more focused, utilitarian aesthetic (I really want to get my place set up like my old Japanese apartment) but when you need furniture and need it now IKEA rules.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hello Fashion thread.

When 2018 hit I decided to stop shaving, it’s been over 150 days since then. And then a couple months ago life and work got busy and I didn’t get around to getting a haircut. And then I broke my ankle and I’ve been stuck at home, which is all to say that my current hair situation is... a lot:
    dxg91cubn5yf.jpeg

That said I now have a lot of hair canvas to work with and a lot of time to contemplate what to do with it all. Having been a clean shaven fellow up into this point I don’t exactly know what to do with it all or how to coordinate beard and hair.

What do fashion thread?

I dunno, that nickname isn't too bad as far as industry work goes. I was called captain caveman for a spell when I was shaggy as shit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    That's a quality beard. You should keep that beard.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Dresser was a bust. Quality was for shit and nope. The hunt continues!

Having recently had to replace all of my furniture and also being very heavily into mid-century modern, you might look at Ashley Furniture and, surprisingly enough, Target. Both sell actual wood peices for not-break-the-bank money, often have sales, and usually have several mid-century style offerings. May be worth a look.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

This is also one of my first pieces REAL ADULT FURNITURE (tm)!!!

I got my first piece of this but I'm a stingy bastard and it's one of those multicube multi purpose dealies. But now my TV isn't sitting on a 25 year old microwave stand anymore!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I tried my dress shirt on the other day and it doesn't fit anymore. I'm bummed about it.

I bet my nice roll up sleeve button up shirts don't fit either.

I gotta get to dxl sometime after I move and get new clothes. I basically have 1 shirt that fits at this point.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor Your hair is glorious, I'd leave it that length. You could get your beard trimmed a bit if you like to neaten it up, but overall its a good look.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    yeah I'd say maybe trim/shape the beard but otherwise that is a strong look and don't you dare shave off that magnificent beast (except it's your beard so obviously do what you want)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback and kind words y’all. I was a little worried I was getting into homeless territory. Once I’m feeling more ambulatory I’ll head in for a cleaning up but otherwise leave it be.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If you like it that size then get a light trim just so its neat all the way around, you don't have to shape it like a topiary but you generally don't want clumps/areas sticking out past the rest (or at least I don't, and yours is mostly pretty even anyway)

If you don't like it that size just get some clippers and put on the biggest guard size and run it over the whole thing, decreasing the size until you get a beard length you like (and then still go in and get a light trim to make it even unless you have more patience/better scissors in mirror coordination than I do and can trim it even yourself)

For both those cases also maybe try beard oil, at the very least its another way to smell nice and it can help keep the hairs soft and neat

If you dont like the beard at all (which would be a shame, its a good beard) you could try keeping just the mustache because you have a strong mustache base

You might also consider going to hipster or bear barbershop and letting them go at it if you aren't sure what you want to do exactly

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @Janson If you see something you like at West Elm but don't need it immediately, wait for a sale. They seem to have them pretty regularly every few weeks.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    READY-TO-WEAR
    FALL/WINTER 2018-2019
    Alberta Ferretti

(warning: one of the outfits shows a bit of boob)

LuLqCNZ.jpg?1
    hENSCKL.jpg?1
    53TfYmv.jpg?1
    trqRVrb.jpg?1
    OHRfxBA.jpg?1
    fXmk0MS.jpg?1

• Options
    I’m getting a real Warhammer witch hunter vibe from some of those.

That’s a good thing, in my eyes at least, though.

• Options
    The fabric on that first one is amazing!

I uh. I think I own every part of the fourth ensemble except the gloves.

• Options
    am I boring if I'm most into the last one

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    No, I love it
    I thought that purse was a gun holster at first, which only made me love it more.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Are we going to late 90s fashion already since mom jeans are ubiquitous now? Will my baggy synthetic pants be cool again soon?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Y'all

I fucking hate swimsuit shopping

I spent an hour finding a good set of high waisted bikini bottoms only to find out they didn't ship to Canada

Fuck you California

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    They're just trying to hang onto those swimsuits so that they're prepared for when California falls into the sea.

• Options
    you canadians can have our swimsuits when you pry them from our scaly, webbed hands

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    @Cello I'm not sure what you're looking for in swimwear exactly, but I just recently discovered Nettle's Tale

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    @Cello I'm not sure what you're looking for in swimwear exactly, but I just recently discovered Nettle's Tale

Ooh, I'm going to hold this in reserve just in case; I'm primarily looking for a high waist bikini, because I've never had the confidence to go for a proper one (always one pieces or tankinis) and I'm at the point where, well, fuck it, why not, if I can find one that actually goes to or above the damn waist

The place I was looking seems like they have international shipping listed in their policies, so I sent an email and should hear back tomorrow about whether or not the issue is their app being broken

Ironically their address is on Ontario Street, come on

The exact combo I'm hoping to do would be these bottoms:

https://www.unique-vintage.com/products/plus-size-all-black-monroe-high-waist-bikini-bottom

With this top (technically the link for the bottoms, but the actual link for the top brings you to the super skinny model whose dimensions are....not mine):

https://www.unique-vintage.com/products/unique-vintage-plus-size-black-white-stripe-sexy-high-leg-jacinda-swim-bottoms?nosto=categorypage-nosto-1

Initially I was hoping to find something more sailor-ish but these have underwire so why not make my boobs into an optical illusion

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    @Inquisitor Have you considered sitting for an oil portrait by that rascally up and coming artist by the name of Rembrandt?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The fabric on that first one is amazing!

I uh. I think I own every part of the fourth ensemble except the gloves.

Well now we know what to get you for Christmas

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Give me your best thigh rub defense techniques? I can't survive without tights right now and it's not even peak summer heat yet.

I don't think Bandelettes will work for me - I'd have to wear them up too high. My rub happens just a bit below my groin.

I know some folks wear bike shorts but I'm not enthused about wearing something with a thick waistband, or is too long in the leg - I don't need shorts that come to my knees.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Have you tried something like a gold bond anti-friction stick? If you go to a running store they probably have a larger selection of brands as well.