Options

After Easter [chat] sale

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Boston is annoying the shit out of me today. Traffic and cold and wind. Screw you, Beantown.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i wonder what it's like to go on vacation and not have to work through it because it's actually better than trusting anyone you work with
    I'm actually really shocked when I don't have to worry.

When I got married, I gave my boss a to do list, and he fucken did it. I was impressed. I didn't have a whole pile of shit waiting for me.

this is the dream

just

just to have other people not be idiots who can't tie their own shoes when you're gone

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Baths are gross tho

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    i wonder what it's like to go on vacation and not have to work through it because it's actually better than trusting anyone you work with

When I got married, I gave my boss a to do list, and he fucken did it. I was impressed. I didn't have a whole pile of shit waiting for me.

How suspicious are you when there isn't a pile of shit waiting for you?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I gots say after doing 2 PAX's there I'm not really a huge boston fan

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

About as suspicious as when you write a program and it runs with no errors the first time.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    -cptrugged one of the ladies I am talking to is First Nations and I am really hoping with that one.

Woah.

That's really cool! Hope it works out!

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Why is Boston called Beantown when Chicago literally has a giant bean statue as one of its most famous landmarks?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    (I don't actually care about the real answer to that question)

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

It is awesome.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Why is Boston called Beantown when Chicago literally has a giant bean statue as one of its most famous landmarks?

Because fuck you thats why answered the average Bostonian

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Incredibly suspicious.

My list was quite detailed and included the status of all my jobs. And he went through each item on there and the status, and the status of a couple jobs coming down the pipe line. It was quite refreshing, but for the rest of the day I felt like I do when I'm babysitting kids and the apartment gets completely quiet.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    boston baked beans

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We have no redundancy currently so any vacation needs to be planned around if you want to not waste time on projects.

Also means that if you get sick it’s often more relaxing to work at home rather than run into the wall when you come back. This is probably true for all offices nowadays I guess.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

I just tell my office to get fucked on producing through my absence, this vacation is part of my compensation. Its going to be a legit vacation, not work light. Like the moment i leave my work this evening I'm on a 4 day weekend for PAX, and their problems become not my problems. I will not be checking my work email till Tuesday. I feel it is important to enforce strict work life boundaries.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So there is a place here that serves breakfast bao and I am drinking Thai canned coffee. Airports are weird sometimes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    We have no redundancy currently so any vacation needs to be planned around if you want to not waste time on projects.

Also means that if you get sick it’s often more relaxing to work at home rather than run into the wall when you come back. This is probably true for all offices nowadays I guess.

i haven't had a day where i was truly disconnected from work in 5 years

it's awesome

i told my boss already he needs a solution for the fact that i'll be in sweden for two weeks in september and i am not going to be in contact for nobody

probably the solution is i come back to a two week pile of work not done, but

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    it is the day before I leave for boston

I have an urgent deadline but I was super fucking productive this week and I am ahead of schedule

then our field engineer calls at 6:30pm last night and tells me that the Contractor super mega fucked up one of their drilled shafts and holy shit what are we going to do

bro

bro

bro can you tell these guys to just

just stop

fucking hell

I forget which level off the process do you sit at? i thought you were just an engineer

i am a design engineer, my boss is the engineer of record for this bridge, but he's pretty busy being the boss so most of the ongoing construction issues fall to me

so any field changes during construction, issues with the plans, etc. have to go through us. and with a job this big and complex there's tons of things that come up.

who do I pray to so that I may pass the mech eng PE exam next friday? The ghost of James Watt?

• Options
    Six wrote: »
    Boston is annoying the shit out of me today. Traffic and cold and wind. Screw you, Beantown.

This is like... what we offer as a standard

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Going in for second tattoo session today

Everyone prepare to entertain me later this morning please

• Options

Lean Six sigma baby. Redundancy is waste.

Oh shit Jeff is leaving next week, who are we going to have take over for him, while the new guy is getting trained?
    :confused:

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    One nice thing is I’ve been adamant you can’t build physical things between June and August, because we rely on international sourcing and down in Europe factories literally close doors for vacation for a month randomly during that time. So ordering things is exactly impossible. So hopefully summer will be calm this year and I can just bugger off and play video games for 4 weeks.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    *@Sir Landshark receives a phone call during PAX*

"What? But we finished that project awhile ago, what could possibly have happened?"

"Uh, well...."

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

How many dank memes do you want?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I have an urgent deadline but I was super fucking productive this week and I am ahead of schedule

then our field engineer calls at 6:30pm last night and tells me that the Contractor super mega fucked up one of their drilled shafts and holy shit what are we going to do

bro

bro

just stop

fucking hell

I forget which level off the process do you sit at? i thought you were just an engineer

i am a design engineer, my boss is the engineer of record for this bridge, but he's pretty busy being the boss so most of the ongoing construction issues fall to me

so any field changes during construction, issues with the plans, etc. have to go through us. and with a job this big and complex there's tons of things that come up.

who do I pray to so that I may pass the mech eng PE exam next friday? The ghost of James Watt?

Good luck!

• Options
    edited April 2018

it's awesome

i told my boss already he needs a solution for the fact that i'll be in sweden for two weeks in september and i am not going to be in contact for nobody

Don't ask for the moon, just go for "Can you try to keep the fires below knee level?"

zepherin on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I just tell my office to get fucked on producing through my absence, this vacation is part of my compensation. Its going to be a legit vacation, not work light. Like the moment i leave my work this evening I'm on a 4 day weekend for PAX, and their problems become not my problems. I will not be checking my work email till Tuesday. I feel it is important to enforce strict work life boundaries.

I am like this. I consider it part of self care. Though my work can call or text me in an emergency.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

it's awesome

Don't ask for the moon, just go for "Can you try to keep the fires bellow knee level?"

but i am the fire extinguisher

• Options

it's awesome

Don't ask for the moon, just go for "Can you try to keep the fires bellow knee level?"

but i am the fire extinguisher

Sounds like they need to come up with alternate solutions while you're gone.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a

bro

bro

just stop

fucking hell

you got this bro. just relax and answer all the ones you can quickly answer first, don't waste forever on something you don't know. come back to those at the end.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    *@Sir Landshark receives a phone call during PAX*

"What? But we finished that project awhile ago, what could possibly have happened?"

"Uh, well...."
    pls no snuff film in chat

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

How many dank memes do you want?
    2670176.jpg

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    MISTER BOVINE JONI

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Okay, phone interview should be calling in any minute now.

I really hope this doesn't go the whole hour.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

take a bunch of amphetamines before so you can answer things really quickly

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2018
    a

bro

bro

just stop

fucking hell

you got this bro. just relax and answer all the ones you can quickly answer first, don't waste forever on something you don't know. come back to those at the end.

I've noticed during my practice tests a tendency to be stubborn and I'll stay too long on a problem that I can solve but like not fast enough. I feel like I have a solid grasp on the material but need to refine the use of my reference material, like fully review the contents of my binders, which are a hybrid of last year's class, this year's, and then stuff from other sources, like Schaum's outlines. I think I've picked up some easy points that I wasn't able to get last time, such as project management & engineering economics, hopefully statistics too. When I got my feedback on how I did on my first attempt I was a little surprised how poorly I did on the components section. I feel like that's actually a strength but perhaps I'm delusional. Taking all of next week off for the home stretch. Day before the test I'm going to keep it as light as possible and just try to get into a zen state of mind. The awful night's sleep before the test last year was a huge handicap. My brain gave up with like 2 hours to go.

Dynagrip on
  • Options

take a bunch of amphetamines before so you can answer things really quickly

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2018

What are you getting done?

Bogart on
  • Options
    There's a great scene in Trainspotting where Spud does a bunch of speed before an interview for a job he doesn't want to get.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

it's awesome

probably the solution is i come back to a two week pile of work not done, but to never come back

if i figure out a way to never come back from sweden i will do it

i mean that doesn't involve evading authorities of two countries for the rest of my days

This discussion has been closed.