As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    They are not overhauling the gameplay. They've been very specific that the timing and core gameplay loop is exactly the same. The feel of fighting will be the same. I expect the dragons to be just as dragony. The bullshit will result in just as much character formation as before.
    I kinda don't expect them to change anything. I bet they even keep weight (I hope so, in fact).

The most they've mentioned is fixing some "glitches" and "exploits" but no real word on what that means.

Even though there's new animations they've been pretty clear that all they did was recapture the animations to make them nicer looking. The game is still running the old code. The damage, speed, timing, its all identical.

It is going to be Demon Souls. Just prettier and nicer.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    But Demon's Souls wasn't pretty or nice.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Well this one is gonna look pretty and have some nice options like filters and whatnot and camera changes and omnidirectional rolling.

But its still going to kill you over and over without compassion or mercy.

And itll have mostly the same mechanics.

There is no overhaul planned here.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The new bosses look fantastic, but I wish they'd show more of the NPCs(and the UI). Feels like they're being worryingly cagey about those details.

That said, god I love the blue dragon's new look.

mr8rp8ye45r1.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    But Demon's Souls wasn't pretty or nice.

I beg to differ, someone's never stood over the cliffs at 4-1 and just watched the water.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That is a very dark looking game. I hope they turn on some additional lighting effects for the indoor areas.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It seems like the lighting is way more interesting. Definitely more color this time.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    It looks good but I do miss the murkiness and gloom of the original. I know a lot of that was done for performance reasons, but it produced a very interesting visual flair to it. Like you can see way to far in the swamp in the new one. I liked not being able to see everything.

• Options
    Not a fan of that Skyrim-ass UI. Or randomly crouching to pick up items for some reason.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man I hope Bluepoint added an OG Font on the options somewhere.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Having never played the original, I'm totally jazzed for eventually playing this on the PS5. Because my rule is minimum 5 games I want before I even consider a console, and right now there's only 3 I want (and only 2 that are PS5 exclusive).

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Having never played the original, I'm totally jazzed for eventually playing this on the PS5. Because my rule is minimum 5 games I want before I even consider a console, and right now there's only 3 I want (and only 2 that are PS5 exclusive).

That's a reasonable rule. Quite reasonable.

I say, looking at my $300 (plus $10/mth) Bloodborne machine.

...maybe that's why I'm so critical of Bloodborne.

edit: Oh shit I just remembered Nioh 2 exists and they still haven't even whispered about the PC release. So it can be a Bloodborne and Nioh 2 machine!

Kamar on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    edit oops

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    man I hope Bluepoint added an OG Font on the options somewhere.

Did DeS use the same Garamond font as DS?

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

That's a reasonable rule. Quite reasonable.

I say, looking at my $300 (plus $10/mth) Bloodborne machine.

...maybe that's why I'm so critical of Bloodborne.

edit: Oh shit I just remembered Nioh 2 exists and they still haven't even whispered about the PC release. So it can be a Bloodborne and Nioh 2 machine!

The games I'll want on the PS5 as it stands right now are Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Demon's Souls, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Of those, only 3 are release titles (AC Valhalla, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales), and of all 5 of them AC Valhalla, Horizon Forbidden West, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales are able to be purchased on the PS4 and upgraded to PS5 versions. Horizon is announced for some time in 2021. R&C doesn't have a release date yet. I haven't even bought let alone played God of War on PS4, so while I'll probably want the God of War sequel I also don't know when I'll want it, even with a 2021 release date.

All of this to say that the earliest I'd really want a PS5 is late 2021/early 2022. I'm fine with waiting.

Besides, I still have Nioh and The Surge and Bloodborne to finish on the PS4 and Dark Souls 3 to finish on the PC, so it's not like I'm currently hurting for Souls games.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It mostly doesn't matter, because if you didn't pre-order a PS5 months ago, you won't see one for months available to buy. Welcome to the new age, where all companies create forced scarcity and bots buy up the supply of most things to relist on eBay.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It mostly doesn't matter, because if you didn't pre-order a PS5 months ago, you won't see one for months available to buy. Welcome to the new age, where all companies create forced scarcity and bots buy up the supply of most things to relist on eBay.

New consoles have always been scarce. It takes significant time to get supply chains and manufacturing ramped up.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So, randomly thought of this early PS2 RPG I never got to finish that was interesting, I think I had it as a rental or something, it was like one of the only RPGs really early in the console's lifespan. Action RPG, male MC and female MC that switch off, stuck in my head this one boss that's saying its cold and stuff when you're fighting.

Decided to dig up what it was, maybe play it out of pure nostalgia. I knew it was probably one of the very few US-released RPGs I never played on PS2 (I got a SwapMagic near the end of its lifespan and that was my JRPG era, so I just methodically pirated and played everything remotely JRPG) and I knew it was very early in the console's lifespan, so it didn't take long to figure out what it was.

...the game is Evergrace, a FromSoftware game characterized by a lot of weapons and builds, third person action rpg combat with an emphasis on managing stamina, a big interconnected world, player characters who are notable in that they are marked with cursed brands...

I can't escape.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

New consoles have always been scarce. It takes significant time to get supply chains and manufacturing ramped up.

Also, zero doubt covid slowed things down.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wonder what Demon's Souls monsters do on their off time. Just stand around?

• Options

tbh, I doubt COVID has helped getting production lines going.

I'm kinda fine waiting for a PS5 Slim tho.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I also only really want the disc drive PS5.

I mean, if for some reason I can't get a hold of a PS5 with a disc drive, I'll just hold on to my PS4, because I have a gaggle of games that are on disc still. I prefer it that way, but much to my chagrin companies are dead set on making sure we never actually own a copy of anything ever.

• Options
    Seen some screenshots of new Demon's Souls designs. Woof. They're rather dire.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Have they shown off any of the NPC dialogue or how the dialogue will look? It's a little reassuring that they say they got back some of the original voice actors, but not much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    There's all sorts of gameplay videos out now.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If the other Miyazaki made Dark Souls
    https://i.imgur.com/W36wajz.png

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Eurogamer have a couple of Let's Play videos up, so they're about 6 hours into the game I guess, if anyone wants to watch some stuff from the beginning of Demon's Souls. They're usually fun streamers.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    From this, voices that I'm fairly positive are the same:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T55OKJfojDY&t=948s

+
    The Maiden in Black
    Boldwin
    The Crestfallen Soldier

-
    Stockpile Thomas

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    The lighting in the IGN video looked much more a recreation of the original. Earlier videos had shown several bright colored lights in the tutorial area, but none of that was to be found in this showing. Interesting.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    There's a classic filter.

It makes it look much much closer to the original.

• Options
    That mace backstab near the end was fucking brutal

I'm liking the desaturated tones the classic filter put on there.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I can't describe how good this feels to play, it's just *chef's kiss*

Here's some VaatiVidya going through some stuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYJMINtozfE

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    A friend of mine turned me on to a gamer synth rock artist Aviators, and he composed a lot of Dark Soul songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0ewuSL4gs

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I spent an hour or two beating Phalanx, initial thoughts:

I can confirm that it feels exactly like original Demon's Souls, just buttery smooth with no loading times and a VERY pretty coat of paint. The fire effects in particular are out of this world. In the first level, the dreglings with flaming swords were lightning random chunks of wood on fire with their swings and stuff, it was all very nice looking. Also dear lord, play on 60 FPS mode. Just do it.

The weapons have some different animations, but you can tell they kept the timings on everything. I was using the halberd at the beginning and it felt very similar to the old halberd, despite having some slightly different animations.

The old enemy AI seems to be replicated exactly as it was. You can still abuse backstabs on knights, if you want.

It looks like they did everything they could to keep this as close as possible to the original.

Edit: Also I know it sounds weird, but the controller does add to the experience. Having the rumble tell me when firebombs are flying toward me made me feel like I had eyes on the back of my head.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    no 8 way rolling then?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    no 8 way rolling then?

I'm pretty sure rolling is all directions now.

I had someone invade me in 2-1 and we had a fun fight. He tried to cheese me with sorceries in the room near the start with the two fat officials. Luckily, I was rocking a Bastard Sword and managed to get some lucky timings on him while he was casting.

It's been so long since I played the original that I totally forgot how to fight the 2-1 boss
    Armor Spider
    in melee. I ended up getting some jolly co-op in for practice for about an hour. It was pretty easy to get summoned, most I had to wait was like 5 minutes. I couldn't get summoned for 1-2 boss
    Tower Knight
    for some reason!

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    After seeing a stream of the DeS remake any concerns I had about the visuals are gone. It still very much has the gloomy atmosphere of the original and they have a bunch of filters if you want something more along the lines of the original. In fact the only real blemish I saw is they changed the music in the Astrea fight for the worse. It's not bad but the original was so perfect.

Apostate on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    After seeing a stream of the DeS remake any concerns I had about the visuals are gone. It still very much has the gloomy atmosphere of the original and they have a bunch of filters if you want something more along the lines of the original. In fact the only real blemish I saw is they changed the music in the Astrea fight for the worse. It's not bad but the original was so perfect.
    the soundtrack changes i've seen so far have all been for the worse

DeS had a really, really interesting OST

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I watched the False King, and something is definitely lost. They made him look more human and less... demonic.

That said, I can't fault the clearly slavish love for the original that's on full display.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is there a reason why they changed the soundtrack in DeS?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.