As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm kind of glad I never played the original, as it seems like it's stifling peoples ability to just sink into the game as its own experience.

Edit: Made it sound less snarky

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I barely played the original, clearing 1-1 and rage quitting from 1-2, and I’m just about back to that point. Relatively blind after that, so I’m very excited about it!

What’d everyone make this time?

I’d started off making a male with no particular class in mind, but after seeing the preset faces I just had to make an 80 year old female Barbarian.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'm kind of glad I never played the original, as it seems like it's stifling peoples ability to just sink into the game as its own experience.

Edit: Made it sound less snarky

I can do that for sequels no problem. New game, new attitude.
    I can do that for remakes that don't even try to be faithful but go their own way.

But when they have tried so obviously hard to be as faithful as possible, when there are clear missteps, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'll play it and enjoy it. But they wont ever stop being a niggle.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I can see being disappointed in some choices that were made. I even agree with some of the disappointment.

But my overall sentiment is one of just...happiness that we got a remake at all. I even wish they had pushed the envelope further with changes in some areas. Like adding more events for pure white/pure black world tendency, lean harder into that, ya know. It's one of the most unique things about this game, I want more of that.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Is there a reason why they changed the soundtrack in DeS?
    original ost was pretty low budget and synthesized, and this version has fuck you $$$ behind it with an orchestra and everything

obviously live instruments are better but i miss the focused, sparse instrumentation on the original

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I wish it was on PC so I could play it. :cry:

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Is there a reason why they changed the soundtrack in DeS?
    original ost was pretty low budget and synthesized, and this version has fuck you $$$ behind it with an orchestra and everything

obviously live instruments are better but i miss the focused, sparse instrumentation on the original

yeah changing the sparseness is a huge divergence in the tone it sets

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I did 3-1 today and I forgot how much fun it is to be summoned in for that boss fight. I got totally owned by someone using a Great Sword who was clearly a PvP pro from the old PS3 days.

I forgot how much of an absolute maze the Tower of Latria is. Oh also, there are new achievements for doing things the hard way. Spoiler for 2-1 boss and 3-1 level achievements:
    I got a trophy for dodging all the way across the bridge in 3-1 instead of shutting it down the easy way.

I also saw there's a trophy for Tower Knight. Probably for killing him without killing any archers?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I'm so mad at him for not giving us a standalone extended version:

https://youtu.be/qlnr3eSFmb0

Give it to me....GIVE IT!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I got my barb enough str to 1h the bastard sword and gave it a couple upgrades after 1-2. I’m not 100% in love with the move set, but the power of it feels very fitting. Barb smash.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I got my barb enough str to 1h the bastard sword and gave it a couple upgrades after 1-2. I’m not 100% in love with the move set, but the power of it feels very fitting. Barb smash.

Assuming they didn't move stuff around, might want to consider looking around 1-2 for the claymore.
    Unless they changed it, its sold by the vendor at the very end of the tunnel under the bridge

Very slightly weaker but way longer, which matters even more in DeS with the lack of poise and limited hyperarmor.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Assuming they didn't move stuff around, might want to consider looking around 1-2 for the claymore.
    Unless they changed it, its sold by the vendor at the very end of the tunnel under the bridge

Very slightly weaker but way longer, which matters even more in DeS with the lack of poise and limited hyperarmor.

Does the Claymore in DeS have the same wide swing/long stab moveset it has in all the other Soulsborne games? (in BB it's Ludwig's Holy Blade, but still, the formchange weapon with the scabbard has the same Claymore moveset if I remember right).

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Does the Claymore in DeS have the same wide swing/long stab moveset it has in all the other Soulsborne games? (in BB it's Ludwig's Holy Blade, but still, the formchange weapon with the scabbard has the same Claymore moveset if I remember right).

I think it's wide swing light attack and a heavy overhead swing, but I wouldn't swear to it. edit: I looked it up and yeah, overhead for the heavy.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Oh nice, I’d found that guy but wasn’t considering new weapons at the time. I’ll swing back and check it out.

• Options
    I've been slowly working my way through the game, doing 1 or 2 levels a night. Just beat Old Hero last night.

Making a standard quality build to start rocking a quality Uchigatana. Might switch to Meat Cleaver or Great Axe at some point, but I just like the katana movesets so much!

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    what did they do to astraea's theme, where's the harpsichord, what were they thinking?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Do the DS3 dogs actually teleport? 🐶 6:34
    https://youtu.be/t4P82TRY_oY
    Time to finally test the rumors that these dogs have the power to bend time and space! Heh, nothing personal Miyazaki...

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    what did they do to astraea's theme, where's the harpsichord, what were they thinking?

They also made it dead-ass silent until you get to Garl Vinland.

There's no melancholy at all in the music they went with and it's the first thing I'm mad at the remake for doing.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Do the DS3 dogs actually teleport? 🐶 6:34
    https://youtu.be/t4P82TRY_oY
    Time to finally test the rumors that these dogs have the power to bend time and space! Heh, nothing personal Miyazaki...

Without looking at the video, isn't the problem that enemies out of sight in Souls games don't have their height properly tracked which can cause weird shit to happen with something that moves like the dogs?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    How does Demon Souls actually compare to all the modern Miyazaki (Dark Souls and up) games? Lorewise and gameplay.

I played it waaaaaaay back in the day when it had a demo disc but don't remember much except burning to death over and over again.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    i dunno about lore because i don't think i'm a lore guy

gameplay is somewhat jank but if rolling and the upgrade system are fixed in the remake those are my big complaints

it's up there with bloodborne in terms of atmosphere, which i think is the real draw

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I can't speak to the remake but the original was very much the first dark souls game in every way
    dark souls 1 is "demon's souls 2 but sony owns the IP so we need to change the name for bandai-namco and to sell it on other platforms"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rolling has been fixed, the weapon upgrade system seems to be identical in every way. The only changes they made were cosmetic. They also added some new armor sets in places and added a secret or two, but everything else seems to be identical to the original game, for better and worse.

I wish they would have taken this opportunity to add more things, but I can also see how they would be wary of messing with the original vision.

Gameplay-wise, it's very much a souls game. It was the pioneer, after all. Most of the bosses are closer to combat puzzles than anything else, where Dark Souls had more of a "git gud" mentality with the bosses. SOME of the bosses in Demon's Souls are like that, but they are the exception. Since there is no estus flask, you rely on healing grasses that you have to farm in order to heal. Some people hate this, it's a little annoying but there are farming spots that seem to be have been intentionally placed to get you lots of grasses quicker.

I can say it's an absolutely gorgeous remaster. Bluepoint has their own vision for the world and everything and they added a shitload of detail, even doing things like changing architectural styles of some of the levels. They succeed far more than they fail, you just hear more about the design failures.

If you can manage to get a PS5, you should play this game. It's real good.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If you never played the original the remake seems like the way to go. Just hope that Elden Ring has as much polish when it's released in 2030.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Do the crystal lizards still disappear permanently if they get away? That was my only major gripe with the upgrade system.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    seems like they will only respawn if you beat the boss.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    seems like they will only respawn if you beat the boss.
    it worked that way in the original

certain amount + extra spawns per boss defeated in that region

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Demon's Souls has some of, if not the best, worldbuilding in the series.

Also, a lot of the new character facials expressions are kind of yikes, especially Satsuki.

cby8o61wizok.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh nice, I’d found that guy but wasn’t considering new weapons at the time. I’ll swing back and check it out.

I went back for the claymore and it was worth it. The extra length is nice, and didn’t take too much grinding to catch back up in dmg.

Thanks for the tip Kamar!

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Also, a lot of the new character facials expressions are kind of yikes, especially Satsuki.

cby8o61wizok.png
    Bluepoint showing FromSoftware how its done.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

cby8o61wizok.png
    Bluepoint showing FromSoftware how its not done.

Fixed that for you

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I don't agree. The facial animations are universally amazing in this game, though I haven't done Satsuki's quest yet. Patches especially is hilarious how much he over-emotes.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Its hard to care about builds when all you want is a fast roll and a sword or a knife.
    I've started Dark Souls Remastered, made a Thief with a Master Key, and realized I've done all this before.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I went back for the claymore and it was worth it. The extra length is nice, and didn’t take too much grinding to catch back up in dmg.

Claymore is great in literally every souls game isnt it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

You know...I love the claymore in every game, but greatswords tend to feel a bit weak in PvE in my opinion. Don't hit harder enough vs much slower they are, and don't have enough extra poise damage to make up for it. You're almost always better off using a straight sword for dps and speed, or an ultra greatsword to chain stagger and because of the way high AR bypasses defense disproportionately.

Halberds tend to be way better as a middle-weight weapon than greatswords.

Except maybe in DS3, since you can use the three enemy-type bonus damage greatswords and the 2h poise activation to good effect there.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    halberds are pretty mediocre in ds2 imo

Elendil on
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    halberds are pretty mediocre in ds2 imo

Sweet spot mechanics are pretty punishing in DS2 iirc.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

You know...I love the claymore in every game, but greatswords tend to feel a bit weak in PvE in my opinion. Don't hit harder enough vs much slower they are, and don't have enough extra poise damage to make up for it. You're almost always better off using a straight sword for dps and speed, or an ultra greatsword to chain stagger and because of the way high AR bypasses defense disproportionately.

Halberds tend to be way better as a middle-weight weapon than greatswords.

Except maybe in DS3, since you can use the three enemy-type bonus damage greatswords and the 2h poise activation to good effect there.

Was gonna say

My latest run in DS3 is using a Sharp Lothric Knight GS and it's currently hitting for 500 on R1

THWOCK bzap

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Also, I found the secret to cheesing PVP in DS3

Whips

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

For my usual build, which is "magic+ a little bit of everything else", I find the Claymore ideal both because of its requirements as well as its moveset, specifically, a nice wide arc in front with R1, and a long range stab for R2. Any weapon that has that moveset usually finds its way into at least being tried in the rotation; there's some katanas as well as longswords with the same thing but not the reach that the Claymore has. Enchant it to key off Int and tada, far-reaching magic sword for my Jack-of-all-Trades builds.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.