As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFDATA] Look at my dog, and other people's dogs, and their cats and stuff [pets]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You could always just make him really fat

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The pic I posted of the baby parrotlets was around 2 weeks old. Here they are today:

dvjz1rfvbcui.jpg

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    tynic wrote: »
    You could always just make him really fat

He's not a very hungry boy really. I don't think he'd get fat because he doesn't have the appetite for it. Maybe we're over exercising him, I don't know.

• Options
    One of Uschi's brothers does weird food strikes where he eats almost nothing for days, I think sometimes they're just not that food-oriented.

Ours are all fucking garbage guts, unfortunately.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Google suggests that the average Bernese adult weight is 80-110 pounds.

May I suggest the Irish Wolfhound, which has a minimum average adult weight of 120 pounds.

irish wolfhounds are actually very small wooly mammoths

Dire wolves though remotely are an ancestor of dogs were not much bigger than 110 pounds

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Bodhi has become less of a garbage guts in the last month.

We usually give him a mix of kibble and meat loaf in the morning and just kibble in the morning.

It used to be that he would scarf down his breakfast. Now he might not eat it straight away when you pour it, and will take maybe two goes to finish it.

He'll still shove dinner in his face as fast as possible though.

• Options
    We could play off mabel's neuroses if we really wanted to, because she won't touch food that other dogs are or have eaten. But it would require a level of social engineering that's probably harder than just training her to not eat until she's told.

Uschi will steal shit right out of her mouth, he's fucking hopeless. But neither of them have ever figured out that they can easily get into the huge kibble bags in the hallway.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    We could play off mabel's neuroses if we really wanted to, because she won't touch food that other dogs are or have eaten. But it would require a level of social engineering that's probably harder than just training her to not eat until she's told.

Uschi will steal shit right out of her mouth, he's fucking hopeless. But neither of them have ever figured out that they can easily get into the huge kibble bags in the hallway.

Lola saw her food bag on the floor today ( someone moved it) llooked in and realized she couldn't get close enough and walked away.

I feel like only a beagle will exert the effort required for a gorge

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Gaston's biggest neuroses is that he'll no longer get into his pen at work (even if food and water is in there) because he knows that sometimes the door closes behind him. He prefers to sit on the couch which is by a window into the corridor so he can see people as they pass by in the hope that they will tell him that he is a good dog

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    One hopes that he does in fact hear that he is a good dog, very very often.

The idea of a dog who isn't an absolute garbage disposal is totally mind-blowing to me, by the way. We rescued Haechi when he was six weeks old (we think - all of his puppy teeth hadn't grown in yet) and eight years later he still acts like he's starving on a mountainside.

Last weekend at the bagel place (where he is routinely given a small turkey breast worth of turkey scraps by the staff) they were like, "Oh, does he eat ham?" And I laughed in their face. I've seen this boy eat pebbles that had meat juice on them.

Iyq0n8N.jpg?1

Behold, a boy who does not believe he has ever eaten or will ever eat again

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Irish wolfhounds and other dogs of that size are at that point where it's like "I know you're saying this is your dog but I'm 99% certain this is actually a bear that you've put a leash on."

I think there's a point where you start to question who actually owns who once a dog starts hitting triple digits.
    Sure, you may be the one holding the leash, but who's actually deciding where your walks go?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dogs: "sure, we could listen to you, or we could eat grass."

judy is a good name for a dog

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Irish wolfhounds and other dogs of that size are at that point where it's like "I know you're saying this is your dog but I'm 99% certain this is actually a bear that you've put a leash on."

I think there's a point where you start to question who actually owns who once a dog starts hitting triple digits.
    Sure, you may be the one holding the leash, but who's actually deciding where your walks go?

Wolfhounds strike me as very docile. Ive seen one once and he was like twenty feet behind his collie and corgi brothers as they barked at me from their yard.

• Options
    I have an unshakeable belief that irish wolfhounds are wizards in disguise

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Rex once ate the leg off a pair of my jeans from the hamper because, best I can figure, I had wiped my hands on them while having dinner earlier that day.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Mum and her partner once came home once to Elsie (mostly kelpie, a rescue pup), then a puppy, yipping to them, running into the outside laundry (also dog lodgings), running back, yipping, etc. Turns out the old (and rather frail at this point) Connie (half staffy, half kelpie) had managed to get the lid off the metal bin that their kibble was in, and was face first in the kibble unable to get back out. She was pulled out at that point, and just wandered outside, pretending that this indignity never happened.

Elsie is now about 10, and would still inhale her food (seriously she eats like a duck, only faster) and throw it up later (and eat it again) if she's not stopped 4 or 5 times while eating. They once tried one of those knobby mat things that you put the food on so that they have to sort of eat around it so slow her down.. she just flicked it over and ate off the floor.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Wolfhounds strike me as very docile. Ive seen one once and he was like twenty feet behind his collie and corgi brothers as they barked at me from their yard.

Wolfhounds have a much higher threat threshold than most dogs, but if they decide something is a threat that thing is probably dead.

• Options
    I understand they're generally pretty good family dogs, but actually need exercise, unlike great danes

• Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Random post showing my now 3 rats. Spoilered for large.
    First, Dozer enjoying some tiny toast
    y6bmubaigf8a.jpg
    Then Smokey, one of my newer ones, who was very shy and scared originally:
    hismsd98htak.jpg
    But he found his safe place:
    j9nfdlb5isbn.jpg
    Then Bandit my last one being super photogenic and sleepy:
    iv6ori41mb84.jpg
    I love my 3 fuzzies.

LogicReason on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    They are extremely cuuuute! Especially Dozer though. That lil white face. Hey, do 'pet' rats have spotty coloring for the same mysterious genetic reasons that foxes get more spotty coloring as they become more domesticated? Like, wild rats are never spotty, right? Is that a selected trait? Or did it arise spontaneously?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Some times I get a photo of the Good Ears.

aADolX3.jpg

• Options
    Walking multiple berners is a weird quantum activity, being both very easy and very difficult at the same time.

• Options
    Zig is a floof monster

5ujgnshvcb2q.png

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I want to hug that (enormous) pup

• Options
    Ziggy is so huge already!

• Options
    I hope she's a humongo-berner

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    We introduced Darcy to a friend's young rottweiler on the weekend. Went about as well as we expected, in that they mostly just ignored each other - until Raffa (the rotty) would run at which point Darcy would chase her and the poor thing would either cower where she was or try and run into a corner and hide.

We almost got them playing together though!
    hw6jqv12dstf.png
    Darcy actually chewed on a stick, and played a bit of tug-of-war, which is about the most she's played with toys except for 3 or 4 days where she'd almost kinda fetch.

Most of the dogs we've introduced Darcy to outside of playgroup are fairly timid, where she's probably on the pushy side of assertive and gets a little bit vocal - not growling exactly, but she does make a kinda low noise as she's huffing and puffing. She definitely still seems to be playing, but it's a very focused play that other dogs seem intimidated by. We're not sure if we should introduce her to some other dogs that will stand their ground a little more to try and curb this a bit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I really like having a long hair cat. The fur is so pretty and comfy and snuggly and warm.

But once or twice a year it's not so great, when a bit of shit gets stuck in her butt fur. Then you learn that cats absolutely do the dog thing of rubbing their ass along the floor.

Sometimes the cat resolves this themselves, though they do just leave a piece of shit on the floor.
    Sometimes a paper towel can resolve the issue.
    Sometimes it takes a brush or scissors to resolve it.

I've thought of just regularly trimming her butt fur, and maybe that'd be an option in the future when she's older, but for now I don't know if that would be disorienting for her as I think cats depend a lot on what they can feel with their fur?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah unfortunately poopy butt problems will get more frequent as they get up there into their golden years.

I have not heard of any special sensory purpose for cat fur other than the whiskers. I don't think trimming their ass fur would hurt or disorient them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So I guess my roommates didn't latch the door properly this morning because when I got downstairs to leave the door was wide open and their oldest dog was nowhere to be seen. The other one was just chilling in the living room.

So I go down the street to the dog park just on gut feeling.

There she is. Just doing laps around the dog park.

She lost her mind when she saw me. I have no idea how long she had been there. It probably was at least a good 20 minutes since I didn't hear the door open when I was getting ready but I had been woken up by a bang that I thought was them leaving (must've been the door opening originally).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Lola does that when she gets out.
    If I dont catch her right away. Ill invariably find her an hour later wandering up the street looking for me

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I really like having a long hair cat. The fur is so pretty and comfy and snuggly and warm.

But once or twice a year it's not so great, when a bit of shit gets stuck in her butt fur. Then you learn that cats absolutely do the dog thing of rubbing their ass along the floor.

Sometimes the cat resolves this themselves, though they do just leave a piece of shit on the floor.
    Sometimes a paper towel can resolve the issue.
    Sometimes it takes a brush or scissors to resolve it.

I've thought of just regularly trimming her butt fur, and maybe that'd be an option in the future when she's older, but for now I don't know if that would be disorienting for her as I think cats depend a lot on what they can feel with their fur?

Yup. This is my cat Vivi. I never thought of trimming her butt fur though. I could see somehow managing that. Not like, shaved baboon ass, but just a shorter trim back there.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, you say that, but once you start clipping it can be hard to find a stopping point.

nigecpd1dg7z.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Expression fits.

• Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gambolling, even!

• Options
    Looks like a good boy.

I realise greyhounds are outliers and it was highly entertaining. But there was a tiny part of me going, he's so slow, this is taking forever.

• Options
    Berners aren't built for speed, they're built to be couch cushions.

• Options
    Actually lolloping dogs are good