Options

[Steam]: Where games are collected and sometimes even played!

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    This has probably been covered but I've not been on the thread much since the UI revamp on Steam. Is there ANY way to turn off the "group by games" option? That really messes up being able to see what I need to see at a glance. I've gotten almost all the settings close enough to how it used to be but this one is bugging me. I've checked options a number of times but nothing I found seems to do the trick.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    an_alt wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand the different mousing styles. I rest my palm on the mouse, with the base of my palm and thumb in contact with the mousepad, but I don't feel like I'm moving the mouse with my palm. It's my fingers that are doing the driving.

For you fingertip mousers, is that your only contact with the mouse, at your fingertips? When I try to do that it feels like it would lead to fatigue rapidly, since my hand isn't actually resting on anything.

I..uh....use a trackball

I'm not happy about it, but I do as well. Damn repetitive stress issues. The only real upside is that wireless trackballs do make lovely couchmice. I'm pretty happy with my Logitech M570, but I'd love to hear other recommendations.

Honestly, I've been getting by on this model Kensington Trackball for about a decade now. It's a bit of a dust magnet, but I actually find it hard to use a regular mouse for FPSs. MB3 as your middle mouse button isn't in a great spot, but it's pretty good for precise shooting once you get used to it.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I never played Day By Daylight, but I loved Evolve. This looks right up my alley.

Its four ninja players versus one giant Hunter player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5tWAieY_Q

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Vamen's control scheme makes mostly sense to me, other than the RMB for moving forward, because I use the mouse with my left hand.

But I started playing PC games after WASD came about, so for me, it makes sense because WASD means having to reach across the keyboard or reset my move keys. Most commonly I set them to the arrow keys for movement, TBH.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    For games with ADS, what button do you use for that?

Depended on how much other stuff I had bound. Right CTRL, typically.
    Well, it's certainly a unique layout, but if you can quickly hit all the buttons you need to hit then it only seems weird, not impractical. No "only time I've needed to strafe is when I'm playing console games."

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Nice to have the free period for Deathgarden but I don't know, compared to DBD and Evolve it seems to lack variety. One goal for each side and different loadouts but not different characters (besides male/female).

But seeing as I'm probably going to take another Hiatus from DbD it might do a good enough job to fill the the rarely filled asymmettrical niche.

• Options
    Looks interesting. I always like the concept, be it this, DBD, or Evolve.
    I wanted to play Dead by Daylight but by the time I'd heard of it, it had been out a while and the videos I watched, everyone had super advanced strategies so I didn't feel like trying to play catch-up.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    For a few moments I was very confused that Deathgarden was some kind of new mode for Absolver, due to the masks.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Also, the color of SAN loss is apparently pink. Thanks, Pixie!

A52ZmH3.png

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I wanted to play Dead by Daylight but by the time I'd heard of it, it had been out a while and the videos I watched, everyone had super advanced strategies so I didn't feel like trying to play catch-up.

I wouldn't psych yourself out that much. All those crazy strategies are more for Level 1 players whereas you'll start in the distant 20. Sure, things will become progressively harder as you do well in matches, but for all the consistent playing I've done I don't think I've passed level 9.

In fact I'd argue that it has never been more welcoming to new players as each survivor/killer starts with their unique perks and can unlock all perk slots by 15 instead of the previous 30. This makes you much less beholden to the Blood Web dishing out decent perks for you to use.

Now given you can do perfectly fine without perks and starting out you'll be a bit out of your depth. Heck I still mess up on the generator checks like a newbie from time to time. But it's just repairing generators, learning to escape/stealth by the killer and help out your buddies (or be a selfish jerk) or hunt down survivors, put em on hooks and stop them from doing their things.

Community can still be pretty hit or miss though. Not that I'm always a positive influence either. :redface:

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Could custom games be made for Deathgarden or is it only match making? It could be a fun game among a PA crew or friends.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What's that site that tells you the price history of a steam game and when it has gone on sale? The kid and I are wanting to get Dragon Quest Heroes 2 to play together but $60 is a bit much, so I'm hoping it has a decent track record for discounts.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I was late moving to WASD because Wolfenstein 3D and Doom had kind of trained me to use the arrow keys. I used to play them with the default keyboard setup, so right hand was movement on the arrow keys, and left hand was fire, run, hold-to-strafe (!), etc. I even stuck with that in Duke Nukem 3D, with its extra keys for look up and down (PgUp and PgDn if I remember right). When eventually Terminator: Future Shock and Quake forced me into using the mouse, I moved to using the arrow keys with my left hand (I'm right handed), but I can't honestly remember how I dealt with crouch, run and so on - probably stretching my little finger out to the main keyboard to get to Ctrl or Shift.

Then came Thief: The Dark Project, and for that the default setup (I think) was to use the numpad for its more granular control (creep and walk were separate keys, and I think there was another to hold for run), which was very much a necessity in that game. So I've got my keyboard slid over to the left a bit on my desk, left hand on the numpad, right hand on the mouse.

I think it was only really starting to play stuff on laptops where moving the keyboard over wasn't an option that I finally moved to WASD. The worst part was adjusting to the "forward" key now no longer being precisely aligned with the "backward" key. Got used to it eventually, though.

These days I'll use a controller 9 times out of 10, but on the other rare occasions the basic old mouse + WASD gets used. My occasional forays back into UT99 against bots keeps my hand in.

So long as I can invert the Y-axis, I'm good... but that's a whole 'nother conversation. :wink:

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    What's that site that tells you the price history of a steam game and when it has gone on sale? The kid and I are wanting to get Dragon Quest Heroes 2 to play together but $60 is a bit much, so I'm hoping it has a decent track record for discounts.

IsThereAnyDeal, I suspect.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah that shows the historical low (which, naturally, was 52% off just 2 goddamn weeks ago because of course it was), but I thought there was another site that showed like a graph of historical pricing. I could be wrong.

Edit: oh wait, it does that! I never noticed that other tab. :lol: Nevermind me then!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's not very common for DQ Heroes 2 to go on sale, if I recall. you probably wont REALLY see it on sale until the next big one on steam, and even then it'll just be 50 at best.

I think Tecmo koei has a say in sales on that one which explains why it's so fuckin' bad at getting sales.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Well that's disappointing af. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ive never gone from hype train to train wreck so fast. Bethesda is launching fallout 76 on their own bethesda platform... no steam friend importing, *no refunds*, and its been a hot mess since they tried launching it.

Fallout Miami, here i come.

https://youtu.be/b6x0W1MeYlc

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    f95i9jqh0wdn.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Ive never gone from hype train to train wreck so fast. Bethesda is launching fallout 76 on their own bethesda platform... no steam friend importing, *no refunds*, and its been a hot mess since they tried launching it.

Oh good, another digital gaming library to keep track of!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

While not as good as the summer sale deal, the 40$ deal on gamesbillet is still 20$ less than retail.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »

More like "another game to ignore because there is no way I'm getting a 2nd/3rd/Xth platform".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Had more Overcooked! 2 adventures last night. I learned two things about the game and one about myself.

Things learned about the game.
    1. Probably best to not have the host be the player with the flakiest internet, had no issues when I was host. Played 5-6 levels in a row without issue, that I was aware of.
    2. You can throw ingredients now. It's more fun than it should be to fling rice across a kitchen to land in a pot. (One can also throw ingredients at players. They will be knocked back slightly each time.)

Thing I learned about myself.
    1. I have the sense of humor of a toddler. Followup: I will not apologize for throwing cucumbers at CorriganX on the tutorial level. Because that is hilarious.

Overcooked! 2 gets my seal of approval. The game is great fun.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I am the very symbol of professionalism working tirelessly in the kitchen to achieve the best score while Destroyah is an uncouth cur throwing vegetables around for fun. It is known.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

While not as good as the summer sale deal, the 40$ deal on gamesbillet is still 20$ less than retail.

Oh that's not awful. ITAD didn't report that one... it must be a site they don't survey. I'll pass that sale on to the kid.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Its also just as fucking hilarious to have the mexican doing dishes.

The same as me with my german ancestry being relegated to doing incinerator duty in viscera cleanup detail.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So, Discord has its eyes on the games-selling thing now:

They're going to launch it in a test phase for about 50k Canadians at first before going wider with it.

I doubt I'll be buying anything off their store, but it's going to be fascinating to see what happens. Steam is starting to feel slightly vulnerable now with all these other storefronts opening up. Maybe Valve will actually be forced to roll some of their desks over to form a customer service division or something.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Karoz wrote: »

I wouldn't psych yourself out that much. All those crazy strategies are more for Level 1 players whereas you'll start in the distant 20. Sure, things will become progressively harder as you do well in matches, but for all the consistent playing I've done I don't think I've passed level 9.

In fact I'd argue that it has never been more welcoming to new players as each survivor/killer starts with their unique perks and can unlock all perk slots by 15 instead of the previous 30. This makes you much less beholden to the Blood Web dishing out decent perks for you to use.

Now given you can do perfectly fine without perks and starting out you'll be a bit out of your depth. Heck I still mess up on the generator checks like a newbie from time to time. But it's just repairing generators, learning to escape/stealth by the killer and help out your buddies (or be a selfish jerk) or hunt down survivors, put em on hooks and stop them from doing their things.

Community can still be pretty hit or miss though. Not that I'm always a positive influence either. :redface:

This is great info, thanks. If it wasn't Monster Hunter day, I would snatch it up right now. But in the future when I have the urge again, I might act on it finally. Thanks =).

Re: Bethesda platform...it's going to take The Elder Scrolls 6 at minimum if Bethesda expects to get me using their launcher.

vamen on
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »

More like "another game to ignore because there is no way I'm getting a 2nd/3rd/Xth platform".

I agree. I boot Origin as needed. Steam boots automatically and my kids use Blizzard's thing. I'm done with extra launchers unless I am super pumped.

I was only mildly interested in fallout 76 this was enough to put it in the "no" pile.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Maybe before dismissing it, you could wait and see how it pans out? Games from Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, etc... they'll all run through Steam as non-steam games without having to actually use their storefront/launcher interface. I can't remember the last time I actually launched Uplay, Origin, or Battle.net (except to buy/install a game)...

It seems pretty likely to me that Bethesda.net games will do the same. It's just another storefront.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Picked up Unavowed to scratch that good old point'n'click itch.

I really have to fight the desire to play through the opening bits three times.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    We've had quite a while to experience it. I've not had good experiences using the launcher. And I personally don't have any desire to play the new Fallout (and only mildly care about FO in general), so it's an easy pass for me for now.

Buuuuut a new TES would make me crumble, as I said.

The non-game launch is a nice option, though I've no idea how you get around launching the apps. I always have to launch Uplay, Origins, Battle.net, etc, to update the games.
    I'm hoping we'll just be able to register games on Steam as we have been previously.

vamen on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maybe before dismissing it, you could wait and see how it pans out? Games from Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, etc... they'll all run through Steam as non-steam games without having to actually use their storefront/launcher interface. I can't remember the last time I actually launched Uplay, Origin, or Battle.net (except to buy/install a game)...

It seems pretty likely to me that Bethesda.net games will do the same. It's just another storefront.

To be fair, with launchers that are also dedicated storefronts I am torn between "More storefronts should mean more competition, which is good", which we see just now with this Discord announcement, and "Can we just stop fragmenting the market into tiny, tiny, walled garden pieces, I just want to buy a thing of type <thing> in one place."

It's a bit of a dilemma.

• Options
    I mean, I would love everything to just be on Steam. Like, I don't even use GOG if I can help it. I like the convenience, the library, the overlay, etc. But I just can't make myself get worked up about another company taking a stab at their own thing, and certainly not enough to completely write off a game because of it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

To be fair, with launchers that are also dedicated storefronts I am torn between "More storefronts should mean more competition, which is good", which we see just now with this Discord announcement, and "Can we just stop fragmenting the market into tiny, tiny, walled garden pieces, I just want to buy a thing of type <thing> in one place."

It's a bit of a dilemma.

It is indeed. I'm very pro having more competition, so when I always say "just put it on Steam!", I'm conflicted internally.

That said, at the end of the day, they are video games and I can't get myself too worked up over it when there's so much going on in the world right now. I don't have enough conviction on the issue that I wouldn't jump on another platform if it offered me a title I absolutely wanted.

That's a fight I'll leave to someone else.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I don't know about the launcher itself, but I had no end of problems with Bethesda's mod portal (improperly) copying over the mods I installed with Nexus, and then making a huge mess with the load order and incompatibilities, resulting in my 100 hour Dave no longer working properly after the next game update. Which lead me to just give up on playing fo4

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, I hope FO76 crashes and burns because I hate the trend of making everything multiplayer, and I want some large studio multiplayer game to fail spectacularly so that they stop pushing that thing.

Hell is other people (ruining the shit I built).

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Speaking of non-Steam storefronts, Rockstar unleashed a new gameplay trailer for Red Dead Redemption II today. Still no PC release listed, but I'm sure it'll make it there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE

But I'd be curious to see if they choose not to put it on Steam. They do have their own download service with the Rockstar Social Club after all. You can't even get a Steam key for GTA V from services like Greenman Gaming and the Humble Store.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I don't know about the launcher itself, but I had no end of problems with Bethesda's mod portal (improperly) copying over the mods I installed with Nexus, and then making a huge mess with the load order and incompatibilities, resulting in my 100 hour Dave no longer working properly after the next game update. Which lead me to just give up on playing fo4

Did you reprimand him for this? I think he should at least get a verbal warning, if not a written one. I mean, just because you have mod issues doesn't give Dave the right to slack off. Fuck Dave.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~