Options

[Steam]: Where games are collected and sometimes even played!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Honestly, I hope FO76 crashes and burns because I hate the trend of making everything multiplayer, and I want some large studio multiplayer game to fail spectacularly so that they stop pushing that thing.

Hell is other people (ruining the shit I built).

Hellgate: London says hi. It apologizes for not killing multiplayer as it crashed and burned hard...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dave's not here, man.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Ah, Hellgate: London. My biggest game purchase regret of all time.

Speaking of Fallout, I really wish I liked FO4 more because I LOVED the progression system.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Looks interesting. I always like the concept, be it this, DBD, or Evolve.
    I wanted to play Dead by Daylight but by the time I'd heard of it, it had been out a while and the videos I watched, everyone had super advanced strategies so I didn't feel like trying to play catch-up.

I wouldn't psych yourself out that much. All those crazy strategies are more for Level 1 players whereas you'll start in the distant 20. Sure, things will become progressively harder as you do well in matches, but for all the consistent playing I've done I don't think I've passed level 9.

In fact I'd argue that it has never been more welcoming to new players as each survivor/killer starts with their unique perks and can unlock all perk slots by 15 instead of the previous 30. This makes you much less beholden to the Blood Web dishing out decent perks for you to use.

Now given you can do perfectly fine without perks and starting out you'll be a bit out of your depth. Heck I still mess up on the generator checks like a newbie from time to time. But it's just repairing generators, learning to escape/stealth by the killer and help out your buddies (or be a selfish jerk) or hunt down survivors, put em on hooks and stop them from doing their things.

Community can still be pretty hit or miss though. Not that I'm always a positive influence either. :redface:

This is great info, thanks. If it wasn't Monster Hunter day, I would snatch it up right now. But in the future when I have the urge again, I might act on it finally. Thanks =).

Re: Bethesda platform...it's going to take The Elder Scrolls 6 at minimum if Bethesda expects to get me using their launcher.

Totally forgot it was MWH release day. I'm going out of town for the weekend tonight so that's probably why. I suppose I can at least see how the game runs before then.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Ah, Hellgate: London. My biggest game purchase regret of all time.

Speaking of Fallout, I really wish I liked FO4 more because I LOVED the progression system.

I still have HGL installed (with the Revival mod) and play it from time to time. It's still pretty fun. But man I was heartbroken over its collapse.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, I hope FO76 crashes and burns because I hate the trend of making everything multiplayer, and I want some large studio multiplayer game to fail spectacularly so that they stop pushing that thing.

Hellgate: London says hi. It apologizes for not killing multiplayer as it crashed and burned hard...

Well, to be fair, I've never heard of Flagship Studios. I mean I want a big name publisher like Microsoft or Square Enix to make a multiplayer game that causes such a drastic hit to their cash flow that they have to restructure their entire business. I want it to fail so hard that no one ever just slaps on multiplayer to something ever again.

But then I feel bad for thinking about how people, lots of people, could lose their jobs over such a thing.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

And, yet, Stardew Valley coop is funsies.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Well, to be fair, I've never heard of Flagship Studios. I mean I want a big name publisher like Microsoft or Square Enix to make a multiplayer game that causes such a drastic hit to their cash flow that they have to restructure their entire business. I want it to fail so hard that no one ever just slaps on multiplayer to something ever again.

But then I feel bad for thinking about how people, lots of people, could lose their jobs over such a thing.

The failure of HGL was on par with the scenario you list. The game crashed and burned so hard that Flagship exploded and died. You may not have heard of Flagship, but this was a Big Deal, and the people of Flagship were no newbies - Max Schaefer, David Brevik, Bill Roper... these were all former big muckity-mucks from Blizzard (founders even?). These were guys involved in Diablo, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft. HGL should have been a success.

The hype was huge, the failure spectacular.

What I'm sayin' is... multiplayer isn't going anywhere. :wink:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Maybe before dismissing it, you could wait and see how it pans out? Games from Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, etc... they'll all run through Steam as non-steam games without having to actually use their storefront/launcher interface. I can't remember the last time I actually launched Uplay, Origin, or Battle.net (except to buy/install a game)...

It seems pretty likely to me that Bethesda.net games will do the same. It's just another storefront.

To be fair, with launchers that are also dedicated storefronts I am torn between "More storefronts should mean more competition, which is good", which we see just now with this Discord announcement, and "Can we just stop fragmenting the market into tiny, tiny, walled garden pieces, I just want to buy a thing of type <thing> in one place."

It's a bit of a dilemma.

The problem with the current system (and why it's not so bad to feel 'fuck your storefront, just put it on steam already'), is that what we have now is not competition. Put your games on every storefront. Give users a choice so the storefronts are actually competing with each other over features, usability, and pro-consumer policy, rather than trying to jail users into your tiny little version of user-hell.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I mean, I would love everything to just be on Steam. Like, I don't even use GOG if I can help it. I like the convenience, the library, the overlay, etc. But I just can't make myself get worked up about another company taking a stab at their own thing, and certainly not enough to completely write off a game because of it.

It's just a weight on a scale. FO 76 wouldn't get me to load another launcher because I am only mildly interested. But FO 5, or a new Elder Scrolls would be a heavy enough weight to tip the scales and make me. 76 is getting a pass IF I have to load another launcher. If I can pop a code is steam or play without a new launcher I might give it a go.

Now I get to wait for Call of Cthulhu, Sinking City or both..... I love me some Cthulhu. Hopefully on Steam.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Maybe before dismissing it, you could wait and see how it pans out? Games from Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, etc... they'll all run through Steam as non-steam games without having to actually use their storefront/launcher interface. I can't remember the last time I actually launched Uplay, Origin, or Battle.net (except to buy/install a game)...

It seems pretty likely to me that Bethesda.net games will do the same. It's just another storefront.

To be fair, with launchers that are also dedicated storefronts I am torn between "More storefronts should mean more competition, which is good", which we see just now with this Discord announcement, and "Can we just stop fragmenting the market into tiny, tiny, walled garden pieces, I just want to buy a thing of type <thing> in one place."

It's a bit of a dilemma.

It is indeed. I'm very pro having more competition, so when I always say "just put it on Steam!", I'm conflicted internally.

That said, at the end of the day, they are video games and I can't get myself too worked up over it when there's so much going on in the world right now. I don't have enough conviction on the issue that I wouldn't jump on another platform if it offered me a title I absolutely wanted.

That's a fight I'll leave to someone else.

These are all valid concerns. I can see where the conflict comes in, we see Steam as the BE ALL END ALL of computer gaming storefronts. Why wouldn't other companies put up storefronts too? because doesn't more competition = better?

There is the rub. Origin, Uplay, et al are *not* better than steam. for the most part, they feel barely put together and charge premium price for their games.
    To give a parallel story, look at image compression technology back in the late 90s and infrared image compression technology (because I worked in that field for 8 years). Every camera manufacturer wanted their own .jpg .gif extension that only worked with their own products. If you were a consumer you were beholden to certain company (again, look to the apple cult for another analogy of that) you were screwed into using that company's products and customer service.

Adobe came along with products and programs that worked with all those different image compressions and even let you convert between them. The market for digital imaging exploded when Adobe came onto the scene because finally there was a product that leveled the playing field as it were. Adobe recognized the consumer need and provided for it. That also led camera manufacturers to produce better products themselves because customers were no longer beholden to the company walled garden.

Infrared technology is following this exact trend because no one, besides the company that I worked for, broke the image compression code for fluke, flir et al when making report generation software for inspections.

tl;dr, these game companies are trying to put the genie back in the bottle, but you can't for the most part.

I would venture a guess that there is now a consumer need to gather all these different storefronts under one banner, but cracking that code is way more involved than image compression code. Steam recognized this and for the most part lets you slot in a non-steam game into the steam loader so you can at least remain in contact with your friends and group lists.

Discord *might* be a probably contender because they offer the best gaming voip hands down (save teamspeak3 and the arma plugins for squad comms). Discord hopping in as a green man gaming type until they get a library of titles to start attracting regular use would be a good strategy to close in on steam. (almost forgot, as well as ensure a way that shovelware/malware/assetflips/etc dont get thrown onto their platform, that would be a HUGE perk above steam)

But on the flip side, its akin to fighting Blizzard for top MMO, or Walmart for prices. You can't compete with them directly because they are the best at what they do not to mention the decade(s) of brand recognition that go along with it. You gotta spot a blindspot they are not fulling and exploit that. Against blizzard, you make an mmo that isnt a subscription model. Against Walmart, you go hard with shopping experience (shopping at Nordstroms and getting a custom suit is a hella different experience than walmart's off the rack purchases) but you pay the price for that experience and quality product that walmart aint providing.

wtl'rdr. marketing be complicated, yo. and inferior stores are bullshit.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Doesn't support Bethesda's store/discord's store yet, but reminder this is a thing: https://playnite.link/

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

It's a bit of a dilemma.

The problem with the current system (and why it's not so bad to feel 'fuck your storefront, just put it on steam already'), is that what we have now is not competition. Put your games on every storefront. Give users a choice so the storefronts are actually competing with each other over features, usability, and pro-consumer policy, rather than trying to jail users into your tiny little version of user-hell.

This is more or less the same issue with all the subscription streaming services, where the lion's share of content is an exclusive deal or an "original". It's not really competition in that regard.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Doesn't support Bethesda's store/discord's store yet, but reminder this is a thing: https://playnite.link/

I want this for my ebook library too. It bugs me having to try and remember which store I bought which ebook through (Kobo, Humble, Kindle, Google, possibly others...)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh dammit TES 6 is going to be on Bethesda's launcher isn't it

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Madican wrote: »

Only paid mods allowed. Unofficial patch mods a thing of the past.

But we have horse armor!

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

But we have horse armor!

Bethesda games without free mods aren't even worth buying, in my opinion.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the unofficial patches are a requirement at a minimum.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    There is the rub. Origin, Uplay, et al are *not* better than steam. for the most part, they feel barely put together and charge premium price for their games.

(snip)

I would venture a guess that there is now a consumer need to gather all these different storefronts under one banner, but cracking that code is way more involved than image compression code. Steam recognized this and for the most part lets you slot in a non-steam game into the steam loader so you can at least remain in contact with your friends and group lists.

I've never understood how all these companies with their own storefronts and launchers can't sit down for 30 minutes and list out the features that Steam has, and then say, we'll copy those and start from there.
    • Search and sorting options
    • Reviews and ratings
    • Tags
    • Multiple drive support and custom paths
    • Wishlists with notifications
    • Gifting
    • Mod workshop
    • Download management
    • Free weekends
    • Refund policy
    • Friends list and chat
    • Family sharing
    • Browser interface with as many features as possible

And that's just in the 40 seconds it took to type that out. I get that some of those, like the mod workshop, might be hard, but the Oculus Store had like two of those things when it launched (although it's got like 80% of them now). I don't think the Epic launcher did anything but launch games. How do you launch an inferior product when the current standard is right there to copy from?

Competition is good, but if a storefront's great big feature is, "You have to buy Fallout/Battlefront from us, hahaha," that doesn't really seem like it's going to improve anything for the consumer.

I'm also surprised these also-rans don't have a scraper to set up GOG/Origin/Oculus/etc. shortcuts for all your Steam games. GOG Connect does something kind of like that, so the functionality's obviously possible. They see all these people saying they don't want to have multiple launchers, and they can't think of any way to address that issue? Or Steam could auto-populate from all those others instead of having users add non-Steam games one at a time, but the guy with all the market share doesn't have so much incentive to change the status quo.

• Options

But we have horse armor!

Bazillions of people play and enjoy them without mods.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Noooooooooo I apparently forgot to start Steam or my PC at home shut down or SOMETHING. I am unable to remote install Monster Hunter from work. *cry*

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

But we have horse armor!

Lots of people go and see Transformers, too. Doesn't mean it's something worth seeing.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

But we have horse armor!

Lots of people go and see Transformers, too. Doesn't mean it's something worth seeing.

w09mmr8ld611.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    BTW, if anyone needs a Monster Hunter buddy, holla atcha seal-faced friend Vamen. Especially if you're new and are struggling to get into the game...a common problem, though MHW is FAR more accessible than any of the previous titles. I love that World is getting so many more people into the series that I've been in love with since the PS2 days.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I actually want to throw it out there that I think paid mods are okay, if Bethesda wants to go that route. So long as they flip the royalties on their heads from the 70% cut they were trying for, and they still allow the option for free mods.

What I most want is the ability to still use sites like Nexus - I don't want to have to go through whatever craptacular browser bethesda comes up with.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

But we have horse armor!

With it sounding like they're using ad-hoc servers, I don't see how 76 could possibly maintain mod version compatibilities. Imo that's really only possible it all the mods are kept (dedicated) server side

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    BTW, if anyone needs a Monster Hunter buddy, holla atcha seal-faced friend Vamen. Especially if you're new and are struggling to get into the game...a common problem, though MHW is FAR more accessible than any of the previous titles. I love that World is getting so many more people into the series that I've been in love with since the PS2 days.

Does it support controllers? I saw some reviews saying it doesn't.

I love MH. Have it on PS4 but wouldn't mind picking up PC sometime soon.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »

Does it support controllers? I saw some reviews saying it doesn't.

I love MH. Have it on PS4 but wouldn't mind picking up PC sometime soon.

Man, what a disaster it would be if controllers weren't supported.
    From what I've heard it supports controllers, and the store says it has 'partial controller support', whatever that means.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

But we have horse armor!

With it sounding like they're using ad-hoc servers, I don't see how 76 could possibly maintain mod version compatibilities. Imo that's really only possible it all the mods are kept (dedicated) server side

They said way back when that they'll be adding the ability to play on private servers (just not at launch time), and the way I understood it was that modding would happen around the same time. So I imagine it will basically work like Conan Exiles - the server admin controls the mods and anyone who wants to play on that server needs to have the same mods installed.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

But we have horse armor!

They said way back when that they'll be adding the ability to play on private servers (just not at launch time), and the way I understood it was that modding would happen around the same time. So I imagine it will basically work like Conan Exiles - the server admin controls the mods and anyone who wants to play on that server needs to have the same mods installed.

It's also the same way ARK works, BTW. And, I assume, most other games of this type.

• Options
    fjn4al0.png

The fuck is this shit?

:lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD

Duh.

• Options
    Good taste, that's what.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    btc28qi7py4p.jpg

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You people and your sixties of dollars...

• Options
    Already having both God Eater games, and barely having played the first one, I feel like I have that game style locked down for the foreseeable future. The "mission, kill creature(s), return, sell/craft/upgrade/etc, rest or story, take more missions" gameplay loop is one that, for me, has to be taken in small bites over a long period of time.

It would be 100% different if the world was a huge open world where I actually had to go hunt down the monsters and kill them, a la SotC, and then harvest and bring back their bits to make my badass equipment.

• Options
    I mentioned to my mother that MH: World would be a good potential birthday present, and now I shouldn't buy it for myself. I am an idiot.

• Options
    So it turns out that hunting monsters in the world is pretty fun.

Now to dig up the guides on different weapons types I watched months ago so I have some idea what I'm doing beyond stabbing monsters.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    fjn4al0.png

The fuck is this shit?

:lol:

With how often you proclaim the steam thread full of monsters, I don't think you should be surprised.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Already having both God Eater games, and barely having played the first one, I feel like I have that game style locked down for the foreseeable future. The "mission, kill creature(s), return, sell/craft/upgrade/etc, rest or story, take more missions" gameplay loop is one that, for me, has to be taken in small bites over a long period of time.

It would be 100% different if the world was a huge open world where I actually had to go hunt down the monsters and kill them, a la SotC, and then harvest and bring back their bits to make my badass equipment.

While God Eat is a good series, MH is on another level. If you can find a way to try it, I HIGHLY recommend it.