As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I wonder if the show is at least partially motivated by the desire to slow down Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Same reason they went to Joss Wheadon to finish Justice League.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think we could add more spikes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

That's just his bayformers Botsona

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    110% edge

• Options
    Oh man. His cut is going to be so fascinatingly bad. I can't wait!*

*To read people's takes on it. I value four hours of my time too much.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I've been looking at the old Steppenwolf and this one and he definitely didn't have a Thanos chin in the original version. So they went back and decided to make him Spiky Thanos instead of their own thing? Can't wait to see the rest of Snyder's ~artistic decisions~

• Options
    edited November 2020
    For reference, here's Steppenwolf's current comics appearance:

d07860c84f41ce41d40580e01c72033dcd094cba.jpg?mw=600

I can't wait to see what he does to Darkseid.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Wow, that new design somehow manages to look even worse than the design from theatrical JL. And the new design for Darkseid looks like it is straight out of a PS2 cutscene.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The 80s called, and wants Zack to know that practical bad guy effects from 32 years ago clowns on Spikeywolf.

fb8edcc7e6122327a66800b37edafa7a.jpg

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Since when is Steppenwolfe’s father the Shrike?

n49ultr3s3wx.png

Orca on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    That's exactly the first thing that sprung to my mind when I saw the picture, as well. To the point that I figured it must be a fake, a joke for Hyperion fans.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    When I first saw this, it took me a second to distinguish Steppenwolf from the background. Does WB understand that there are more colors than brown, black, and blood red?

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    When I first saw this, it took me a second to distinguish Steppenwolf from the background. Does WB understand that there are more colors than brown, black, and blood red?

They had a bunch more colors, but Aquaman used them all up

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Bro I heard you liked spikes so we put spikes on your spikes.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What if we did for spikes what Nomura did for belts?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    7cx71gfhqmh9.png

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Oh God, that is one horrible Steppenwolf. He might actually be worse than the theatrical version. Also, I agree, why did they add Thanos chin to him?

I actually can't wait to see this version because I just think it's going to be a dreary and hilarious mess of a movie.

He reminds me of that awful Penance character that Marvel turned speedball into after civil war.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    As a fan of dumb, shiny, tacky armor (points to avatar)...that's just too much. I literally feel almost sad looking at it.

I'm just dumbfounded by this whole thing. This useless, creatively bankrupt exercise.

Why? Why are they giving in to the whims of this short-sited, egotistical, talentless hack and his army annoying conspiracy-theory chasing, harrassing trolls?

There are countless filmmakers who are talented, who are creative, who are passionate and well-meaning and DON'T get a second chance when they end up with one movie that's huge flop or a big production fiasco.

The fact that Snyder gets THIS many chances? It's just....ugh. Can barely describe it.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Look. Steppenwolf has had a few new WoW raids since the theatrical cut, he wants to show off his new gear

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    This take (by bobsvids) made me giggle for almost a solid minute.

EnC_VHRXEAYddTQ.jpg

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I honestly wonder how many people are seeing this reveal and going "Wait, who the fuck was this character again?"

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    A suit of armor made of sci-fi space-magic self-assembling spike-bots sounds cool. It could even maybe look cool if you designed the suit right. Just making ridiculously spikey armor out of infinitely many tiny spikes, though... it just looks like visual noise. I can barely tell what I'm looking at in a still photo. It's going to be an order of magnitude worse than Transformers fight scenes in terms of being unintelligable.

Edit: I will say I go the other way on the Thanosification of his chin. Doing a side-by-side with a still of the original, his chin looked really just weird before. Like the stickey-out bits on the side were his chin and the middle was just neck. Now at least he looks like he has a chin all the way across.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They did have this version of him ready to go in a deleted BvS scene too;

https://youtu.be/_uNzDY5Pz2o

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's hilarious how much that one single image reinforces every criticism of Snyder's work.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Meh. I get it's just the latest thing to dunk on Snyder for, but it's little old hat at this point. I'm actually moreso surprised how many people feel strongly against this design of a nobody character in a movie people say they don't care about but can't stop talking about

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I honestly wonder how many people are seeing this reveal and going "Wait, who the fuck was this character again?"

What? How can anyone forget Steppenwolf, Darkseid's uncle who LARPs as a huntsman? He was in, not just one, but two issues of Jack Kirby's much celebrated Fourth World opus. The mighty warrior who died in his first appearance and was resurrected with brain damage in his second.

Truly a classic DC character, beloved by all.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

What? How can anyone forget Steppenwolf, Darkseid's uncle who LARPs as a huntsman? He was in, not just one, but two issues of Jack Kirby's much celebrated Fourth World opus. The mighty warrior who died in his first appearance and was resurrected with brain damage in his second.

Whenever I hear 'Steppenwolf', the first thing I think of is the band. Not really a great way of building a threatening character.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Meh. I get it's just the latest thing to dunk on Snyder for, but it's little old hat at this point. I'm actually moreso surprised how many people feel strongly against this design of a nobody character in a movie people say they don't care about but can't stop talking about

It’s like watching a train wreck; horrible but you can’t look away.

At this point, talking about this is less about the movie per se and more about the spectacle. Look past the hype and it’s only a director’s cut a paint-by-numbers tentpole. I doubt his changes effect the movie anymore than Lucas adding a musical number changed Return of the Jedi.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

At this point, talking about this is less about the movie per se and more about the spectacle. Look past the hype and it’s only a director’s cut a paint-by-numbers tentpole. I doubt his changes effect the movie anymore than Lucas adding a musical number changed Return of the Jedi.

The concern I've seen raised, is that if the numbers on the "Snyder Cut" are significant enough, it'll allow the executives to be convinced he should be back helming projects/the DCEU. Which would be just fucking terrible.

It won't matter if the criticism is good or bad, it the numbers are high enough, and there's sufficient "engagement" on social media, well, controversy sells (see media re Trump).

Meaning years of mediocre edgelord crap, rather than something that'll compete with Disney for viewership, and force them to not be complacent.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

What hype? Aside from a very vocal minority there's like, zero hype for this thing. Like don't get me wrong, I understand why people disliked snyder's movies... I don't particularly care for them either. But I don't sit around all day, wishing financial and critical ruin upon my one true enemy, The SnyderMan.

Snyder reading this thread right now
    https://youtu.be/j_xqLaj0tvM
    MorganV wrote: »

The concern I've seen raised, is that if the numbers on the "Snyder Cut" are significant enough, it'll allow the executives to be convinced he should be back helming projects/the DCEU. Which would be just fucking terrible.

It won't matter if the criticism is good or bad, it the numbers are high enough, and there's sufficient "engagement" on social media, well, controversy sells (see media re Trump).

Meaning years of mediocre edgelord crap, rather than something that'll compete with Disney for viewership, and force them to not be complacent.

I'm actually kinda convinced everyone wants Snyder to keep making DC movies, if anything Snyder's more grimdark take on material is actually pretty damn comic book in how terrible the writing is. Better than being mediocre, people seem to want some "The Room" type experience where the more bodies batman piles up, the better the RLM review

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I'm actually kinda convinced everyone wants Snyder to keep making DC movies, if anything Snyder's more grimdark take on material is actually pretty damn comic book in how terrible the writing is. Better than being mediocre, people seem to want some "The Room" type experience where the more bodies batman piles up, the better the RLM review

Not me. And I'm not a DCEU hater*. I thought WW was decent (though the ending was meh), and Aqua was good, if a bit too "splodey". But I thought Shazam was a fundamentally good movie. Not perfect, but at worst solid in every aspect.

* And I think HQAnimated and Doom Patrol are f'n awesome, though not part of that umbrella.

I don't have an issue with grimdarky, as long as it fits the characters. But you'll never convince me that Snyder's re-interpretation of Superman is anything but garbage, which saddens me, because Cavill is fucking awesome.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I want DC to be successful. I really, truly do and I'm incredibly saddened at how they're circling the drain.

But I'm not going to look the other way while they continue to get this shit so fundamentally wrong and give a man who borders on the same level of technical incompetence as Ed Woods even more time.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Gods and Monsters already did a great job with a grimdark Superman. Realistic motivation for his grimdarkness, some solid character moments during the movie for him, then he makes a great personal sacrifice to save the world, followed by being a tad less grimdark at the end by suggesting that maybe they could dial back the killing a bit.

They could even have gone with a Superman who behaves like the classic Reeves Big Blue Boy Scout in public except it's a front that he puts on because privately he's not really sure that humanity will ever truly improve but damnit he's Superman and he's gonna do his best to lead by example even if it kills him. That'd let Cavill do a super optimistic Superman persona, one that's full of doubts, and a Clark Kent that wobbles between the two and has interesting conversations about the human condition with various people. It might not be great, or even what people want to see, but it'd certainly be better than Snyder's mopey because his parents were jerks version.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Whenever I hear 'Steppenwolf', the first thing I think of is the band. Not really a great way of building a threatening character.

The question is will his entrance theme be magic carpet ride or born to be wild.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I like how grumpy the new one is.

>:(

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    True, he at least has an emotion.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    God and Monsters Superman makes the DCEU Superman look so much worse. Because it shows exactly how you can do a darker take on Superman that's still recognizably Superman.

I'd theorize that it helps if your top ten list of favorite superheroes doesn't include John Galt and Howard Roark.

edit: To be honest, I don't just dislike Synder's work, I think it's genuinely fucked up that some edgelord Ayn Rand fanboy gets to shape the mainstream image of iconic boy scout superheroes. Even if you think their older versions are boring or lacking in nuance, someone who doesn't really 'get' altruism has to be the worst possible choice to modernize them.

Though, perhaps, depressingly appropriate?

Kamar on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If he'd stop screaming "I'm an auteur, take me seriously!" at the top of his lungs, maybe we would.

But, come on. "My vision is best experienced in black and white, on an IMAX screen." Fuck off.

This discussion has been closed.