As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I think it's the bit where it's stated that she didn't do anything significant in all that time. Which makes making a movie with her doing something significant in that time a little more challenging unless you either ignore the statement, or write it so that no-one knows that it happened (which limits you options on large public events, etc).

Always an issue when the time period includes WWII. Even if you were living in a cave so you didn't know it was happening, I'd have to think that popping out for groceries and discovering you sat out the Holocaust would leave some sort of a mark. Honestly, the only real consistency in the DCEU is just how little interest any of the characters have in actually being heroes. Shazam being the notable exception on that.

Ya that's one problem. No way ww doesn't get involved in ww2 when she gets wind of the holocaust. That's make her the worst super hero in history. At least marvel had captain america pinching Hitler in the face in the comics and was frozen for future conflicts.

That may be the best typo over.

I dunno, he's also got one in the NFL thread talking about needing a "rubbing game" in Miami.

The phone don't lie

Robert Kraft though, does.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think it's the bit where it's stated that she didn't do anything significant in all that time. Which makes making a movie with her doing something significant in that time a little more challenging unless you either ignore the statement, or write it so that no-one knows that it happened (which limits you options on large public events, etc).

Always an issue when the time period includes WWII. Even if you were living in a cave so you didn't know it was happening, I'd have to think that popping out for groceries and discovering you sat out the Holocaust would leave some sort of a mark. Honestly, the only real consistency in the DCEU is just how little interest any of the characters have in actually being heroes. Shazam being the notable exception on that.

Ya that's one problem. No way ww doesn't get involved in ww2 when she gets wind of the holocaust. That's make her the worst super hero in history. At least marvel had captain america pinching Hitler in the face in the comics and was frozen for future conflicts.

If she had left humanity and decided to stay on Themyscira for sixty or so years, would they even know what was happening in the world?

It's been a while since I watched it, but weren't they oblivious to WWI happening

They were. Their island is so shrouded that Steve Trevor went from a gloomy fog-filled ocean to a sunny beach in the span of like a hundred feet.
    That's not quite correct - it was a mystical field that had fog on one side and sun on the other. One of the German sailors leans back and forth through the field to demonstrate its either 100% sun or 100% fog depending on which side you're on.

The inside can't see out either - it appears to be clear all the way to the horizon, but Steve Trevor's plane literally pops into Diana's view as it comes through the field, so the Amazons are oblivious to any ship or plane movements even if they're only 100 yards offshore. Diana does hear the plane before it appears, so the field doesn't appear to block sound as it does vision.

Technically the outside can see in (the German sailor spots the wreckage of the plane in the water), but the fog is so thick the shore isn't visible until they pass the field.

One of the other posts also referred to the German sailors as Nazis - they weren’t Nazis yet. ;)

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

If she had left humanity and decided to stay on Themyscira for sixty or so years, would they even know what was happening in the world?

It's been a while since I watched it, but weren't they oblivious to WWI happening

They were. Their island is so shrouded that Steve Trevor went from a gloomy fog-filled ocean to a sunny beach in the span of like a hundred feet.
    That's not quite correct - it was a mystical field that had fog on one side and sun on the other. One of the German sailors leans back and forth through the field to demonstrate its either 100% sun or 100% fog depending on which side you're on.

The inside can't see out either - it appears to be clear all the way to the horizon, but Steve Trevor's plane literally pops into Diana's view as it comes through the field, so the Amazons are oblivious to any ship or plane movements even if they're only 100 yards offshore. Diana does hear the plane before it appears, so the field doesn't appear to block sound as it does vision.

Technically the outside can see in (the German sailor spots the wreckage of the plane in the water), but the fog is so thick the shore isn't visible until they pass the field.

One of the other posts also referred to the German sailors as Nazis - they weren’t Nazis yet. ;)

Looking at the casualty numbers in WWI, most of them probably never became Nazis.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Even then it'd be a bit traumatic. She got involved in humanity and then specifically decided to no longer be involved in humanity (or not, I'm not sure exactly what they're going to say happened post WW1). I'd think that most people would blame themselves at least a little bit for dropping out and 'allowing' (so to speak) bad things to happen. At least when you're talking about something on the scale of the Holocaust.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I've only seen WW the one time, so correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't part of her deal that she can never return to the island if she chooses to leave? I don't think she missed WW2 because of magic fog, she was around in the world. DCU heroes just suck.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    I've only seen WW the one time, so correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't part of her deal that she can never return to the island if she chooses to leave? I don't think she missed WW2 because of magic fog, she was around in the world. DCU heroes just suck.

Maybe? Only saw it the once myself. They did send up the Bat Signal right quick for her in Justice League, so maybe she's exiled but there doesn't seem to be any bad blood. Who knows though, not like JL was particularly well written.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe WW2 didn't happen in this universe?

Just throw in a quick line about how it sure was great that The Treaty of Tuileries in 1919 solved major European conflict forever and it's lucky that the US joined the League of Nations as a founding member, and have you seen my new painting, it's an original Hitler

Maybe do it like the montage at the start of Watchmen

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll use the spear of destiny unironically

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Looking at the casualty numbers in WWI, most of them probably never became Nazis.

It's an easy mistake because late war equipment, especially the typical german helmet, already look alot like ww2 stuff.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The problem with saying something like WW2 never happened is you inevitably end up going into full alternate history, much like Watchmen. The Cold War starts earlier/later/not at all, nuclear weapons may end up being developing in a completely different direction, etc.

If they need to write a hero around a real world conflict they should have gotten involved in, the usual answers are some kind of coma or adventure in another world, or possibly time travel. They get back/wake up or whatever, and holy shit what did I miss, I leave you people alone for five minutes and you have another bloody war!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The DC comics had a reason for the golden age heroes to not get directly involved, but I don't know if it's still in effect. Hitler had the Spear of Destiny, which would allow him to mind control any superhero that got close enough.

I thought it was that Hitler deployed some kind of superhero shield over Nazi Europe?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If you need to establish a reason why Wonder Woman wasn't involved in WWII the three easiest ways are:

-- She was on Themyscira and as a result just didn't know it was happening.

-- She was on a mission in Hades or another otherwordly realm during that time.

-- She was actually involved in the war but was directly combating all the arcane/eldritch threats being awakened by the horror of WWII during that time.

That second one is a bit flimsy, as Dianna would have to have been trapped there for years, but its possible.

The first one absolutely works, but it makes the Amazon warriors seem completely indifferent to humanity's suffering (which could be utilized for further story-beats).

The third one works and is also a lot of fun, but it also means that she likely knew about the holocaust and didn't stop it. So...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you need to establish a reason why Wonder Woman wasn't involved in WWII the three easiest ways are:

-- She was actually involved in the war but was directly combating all the arcane/eldritch threats being awakened by the horror of WWII during that time.

That second one is a bit flimsy, as Dianna would have to have been trapped there for years, but its possible.

The first one absolutely works, but it makes the Amazon warriors seem completely indifferent to humanity's suffering (which could be utilized for further story-beats).

The third one works and is also a lot of fun, but it also means that she likely knew about the holocaust and didn't stop it. So...

First one doesn't work at all (in the cinematic universe) because Hippolyta straight up tells Diana that if she leaves, she can never return.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

First one doesn't work at all (in the cinematic universe) because Hippolyta straight up tells Diana that if she leaves, she can never return.

"Lol j/k"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

"She changed her mind."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    "It was a test to make sure of her resolve"

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

She was busy stopping the mega-holocaust

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I dunno. Genocide of an entire people? Natzi's researching the occult and ever means of power both normal and supernatural? They even looked for the spear of destiny if I'm not mistaken .....

Wonder woman shows up, just saying. They made a huge mistake having her show up in ww1 and then not do anything until justice league. Steve rodgers has an excuse, he was frozen. If not, he marches with MLK.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Reviews of WW84 are starting to drop. Sounding pretty positive; if you liked WW, you'll love WW84. All the actors did a good job, including Kristen Wig ("I hope they find a way to bring her back"). There's a post credits scene, but it wasn't attached to the cut shared with critics.

• Options
    I'm sure I'm gonna love ww84. Ww was awesome and her and aquaman were bright points in JL.

But they still need to explain her not showing up until 84 and then going underground again until 2014 or whenever it was batman contacted her

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The more I hear about Snyder's magnum opus the more convinced I am that it's going to be an unmitigated shitshow; A 4 hour fucking movie released in theatres with an R-rating and a fundamental failure to get the characters right... like who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The more I hear about Snyder's magnum opus the more convinced I am that it's going to be an unmitigated shitshow; A 4 hour fucking movie released in theatres with an R-rating and a fundamental failure to get the characters right... like who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

People who projected all the failures of the theatrical cut onto executive meddling and are ready for their Panacea to make the DCCU good. Secret Good Four Hour Justice League Movie!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The not so secret secret here is that they can't lose. The folk who've confined themselves The Snyder Cut is going to be great will say it's great, nobody is going to theaters so they don't have to worry about box office, and their culture warriors will shout down anybody who dares point out that The Snyder Cut wasn't the second coming.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    The real answer is that Wonder Woman was involved with WW2, but Paula von Gunther was such an obnoxious stalker that Wonder Woman didn't have time to deal with any other part of the war. Every time she would try to prevent the holocaust or whatever, von Gunther would show up from underneath a bed or inside of a locker or something and challenge her to yet another 1 on 1 dual which would take hours.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just love that they bought the idea that "the Snyder Cut" was a real thing and then oops, my bad, need millions of dollars for reshoots because we don't actually have all the content we said we did so it's not really a "cut" so much as a "redo" lol my bad.

• Options
    We need to start rumours that there are multiple cuts of JL by different directors, so they'll all get a shot at making the movie.
    Justice League: The Gunn Cut.
    Justice League: The Jenkins Cut.
    Justice League: The Nolan Cut.
    Justice League: The Shyamalan Cut.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah the "release the Snyder Cut" turned into "maybe film and do a bunch of CG for hours of never-filmed content."

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    I dunno. Genocide of an entire people? Natzi's researching the occult and ever means of power both normal and supernatural? They even looked for the spear of destiny if I'm not mistaken .....

Wonder woman shows up, just saying. They made a huge mistake having her show up in ww1 and then not do anything until justice league. Steve rodgers has an excuse, he was frozen. If not, he marches with MLK.
    That's only true for Cap Prime. The Cap who took the long way back to the Endgame denouement was absolutely present for MLK and other world events. He has even fewer magical excuses than Diana why he didn't join in.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

That's only true for Cap Prime. The Cap who took the long way back to the Endgame denouement was absolutely present for MLK and other world events. He has even fewer magical excuses than Diana why he didn't join in.

Not to mention comics Cap who was technically unfrozen in 1964.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Except he's seen the course of history and, very justifiably, may not think that fucking with the timeline is a) his responsibility and b) not actually going to produce a better future.

On top of that, the guy already saved the world multiple times and all it cost him was everything he'd ever known, seeing his best friend turned into a brainwashed assassin, living in a universe where half of everyone he's ever known is gone, watched his friend Stark get a family and then have to leave it to save the universe, and watching the woman he loves die of old age.

People have a right to live and enjoy their lives. If the rest of the world wants to be fucked-up and do awful things, that's not on his head anymore.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    There's also one of the execs on the movie claiming that Longway Cap was in an alternate timeline until he turned up at the end of Endgame. That Cap's Earth is probably closer to a real paradise.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    There's also one of the execs on the movie claiming that Longway Cap was in an alternate timeline until he turned up at the end of Endgame. That Cap's Earth is probably closer to a real paradise.

This is my preferred interpretation.

You have a fully realized Steve Rogers in 1948, with knowledge of the future and Mjolnir. Get fucked, racists.

Now I have an image of somebody being a shit to MLK and Cap just wordlessly handing him the hammer.

Also, this is why it makes sense to me that Cap came back. His Earth was secure and Peggy had passed on; there was no reason for him to remain. So he decided to pass the torch one more time.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Cross posting this since I know not everyone goes in the Arrowverse thread:
    Hey guys! Not sure if you have watched the first season of Stargirl yet, but it is pretty fantastic and Luke Wilson is a treasure. Plus it's full of fun Justice Society stuff if you are a fan of them (I am).

But with that said, I have a free digital code for the first season free to the first person that wants it. Let me know and I'll pm you the code.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah the "release the Snyder Cut" turned into "maybe film and do a bunch of CG for hours of never-filmed content."

This is what I don't get. If you could get the actors in for reshoots of his vision that'd be one thing, but it's gonna be the same movie with some deleted scenes and more cgi. It's the remastered star wars trilogy, nothing but crap I bet.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

This is what I don't get. If you could get the actors in for reshoots of his vision that'd be one thing, but it's gonna be the same movie with some deleted scenes and more cgi. It's the remastered star wars trilogy, nothing but crap I bet.

Beyond that, a bunch of it wasn't actually finished, so I'm half expecting a version of it where the characters are fully CGI but missing like 4 layers of textures.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I hear the Snyder cut redoes the scene where Batman shoots first!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Except he's seen the course of history and, very justifiably, may not think that fucking with the timeline is a) his responsibility and b) not actually going to produce a better future.

On top of that, the guy already saved the world multiple times and all it cost him was everything he'd ever known, seeing his best friend turned into a brainwashed assassin, living in a universe where half of everyone he's ever known is gone, watched his friend Stark get a family and then have to leave it to save the universe, and watching the woman he loves die of old age.

People have a right to live and enjoy their lives. If the rest of the world wants to be fucked-up and do awful things, that's not on his head anymore.

On the other hand, Cap is specifically not supposed to be the sort of person who just sits and lets the continued injustice of the United States of America just happen once he gets the Serum.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

On the other hand, Cap is specifically not supposed to be the sort of person who just sits and lets the continued injustice of the United States of America just happen once he gets the Serum.

When you know you're dealing with the lives of half the universe coming right down to the wire, it's not unreasonable to be concerned that the slightest thing going differently could change the outcome to a much worse one.

Hey, maybe this should go to the MCU thread? Let's get this back on topic. I hear there's a movie about a wonderful woman coming out?

klemming on
  • Options

When you know you're dealing with the lives of half the universe coming right down to the wire, it's not unreasonable to be concerned that the slightest thing going differently could change the outcome to a much worse one.

Hey, maybe this should go to the MCU thread? Let's get this back on topic. I here there's a movie about a wonderful woman coming out?

Saw one headline that the international box office numbers were disappointing, $18.8M in China compared to the first one's $38M opening weekend. Which generally seems like the least surprising news ever considering the whole plague thing.

And there's some interview where she says she didn't do any reshoots for the Snyder cut mess. So, yeah, the Snyder cut.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Hey, maybe this should go to the MCU thread? Let's get this back on topic. I here there's a movie about a wonderful woman coming out?

Saw one headline that the international box office numbers were disappointing, $18.8M in China compared to the first one's $38M opening weekend. Which generally seems like the least surprising news ever considering the whole plague thing.

And there's some interview where she says she didn't do any reshoots for the Snyder cut mess. So, yeah, the Snyder cut.

I wonder if there's a bit of a backlash to western stuff after the Monster Hunter thing, and Wonder Woman got caught in it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.