As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    It's also possible that WB is takin security into consideration; the longer the film is sitting in storage the greater the chance that it gets pirated which will be a huge kick in the teeth.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    The threat of "if you don't show your movies with us because we can't show movies at the moment, we won't show your movies" really didn't have the weight they wanted it to.

It's never been a theat. Movies have a contractual obligation to be shown in theaters for a set amount of time before they can be shown anywhere else. The production company signs a contract with the distribution company to distribute the movies exclusively in theaters for something like 6 weeks. Once the theater engagement is over, the production company signs a contract with different distribution companies for the home video release. Movies like Tenant and Bond can't be dumped onto streaming without seeing the inside of a theater for a certain amount of time. Disney and AT&T are able to side-step this issue because they own the production company and the distribution companies. The production company has to pay a massive penalty to the cast and crew but won't be sued by the distribution companies.

Theaters blacklisting distribution companies don't have a leg to stand on. They only hurt themselves. Theaters may have contracts with the distribution companies to show a movie for a set amount of time but these contracts are signed on a per movie basis and typically favor the distribution company. Distribution companies are under no obligation to sign a contract with a particular theater chain for a particular movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-refuses-play-universal-films-wake-trolls-world-tour-1292327

" The threat came after comments made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell regarding the on-demand success of the family film and what that means for the future.

AMC Theatres on Tuesday delivered a blistering message to Universal Pictures, saying the world's largest cinema chain will no longer play any of the studio's films in the wake of comments made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell regarding the on-demand success of Trolls World Tour and what it means for the future of moviegoing post-coronavirus pandemic."

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The threat of "if you don't show your movies with us because we can't show movies at the moment, we won't show your movies" really didn't have the weight they wanted it to.

It's never been a theat. Movies have a contractual obligation to be shown in theaters for a set amount of time before they can be shown anywhere else. The production company signs a contract with the distribution company to distribute the movies exclusively in theaters for something like 6 weeks. Once the theater engagement is over, the production company signs a contract with different distribution companies for the home video release. Movies like Tenant and Bond can't be dumped onto streaming without seeing the inside of a theater for a certain amount of time. Disney and AT&T are able to side-step this issue because they own the production company and the distribution companies. The production company has to pay a massive penalty to the cast and crew but won't be sued by the distribution companies.

Theaters blacklisting distribution companies don't have a leg to stand on. They only hurt themselves. Theaters may have contracts with the distribution companies to show a movie for a set amount of time but these contracts are signed on a per movie basis and typically favor the distribution company. Distribution companies are under no obligation to sign a contract with a particular theater chain for a particular movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-refuses-play-universal-films-wake-trolls-world-tour-1292327

" The threat came after comments made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell regarding the on-demand success of the family film and what that means for the future.

AMC Theatres on Tuesday delivered a blistering message to Universal Pictures, saying the world's largest cinema chain will no longer play any of the studio's films in the wake of comments made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell regarding the on-demand success of Trolls World Tour and what it means for the future of moviegoing post-coronavirus pandemic."

And that had a chilling effect -- we really didn't get many big-name movies straight to video after that, other than Scoob, Bill and Ted and Mulan. And Mulan was largely because it had already opened wide in China.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Joker took home a HPA award for color grading

6fjgvxklle5w.png

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the swatch at Home Depot that nobody uses

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Isn't that the color palette Cartman used for his whole "paint the walls with shit" scheme?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Very 70s.
    Checks out.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Ah yes, the swatch at Home Depot that nobody uses

You joke, but color in film is very interesting to me. The page I got that from does it for many different movies, and it's always interesting to see the colors that make up a scene

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just started watching Doom Patrol, which is a comic series I've only ever been vaguely aware of. Enjoying the absolute shit out of it, especially the fact that, following a brief monologue from a random-ass cockroach about a doomed town, I said out loud "what the fuck?" The show is clearly tuned to my brainwaves because not ten seconds later, Robotman follows up with "what the fuck?" in the exact same tone while viewing a town-devouring hole of light in the middle of the street.

Anyway, it's just mind-boggling how Doom Patrol's Cyborg is basically some painted plastic with, sometimes, the eye light on and it looks fifty thousand times better than Snyder's incredibly shitty-looking CG version. How do you fuck up a design that badly with that many millions of dollars available? And then get so embarrassingly upstaged by a budget-conscious design clearly trying to keep the effects budget down? Just... yeesh.

Tudyk's narration makes the whole show for me, though. The guy is clearly having a blast with it, and having the villain (I'm assuming he's the villain at this point, but things are nebulous enough with him that I could see some kind of twist on that later) as the narrator just really works for me.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Doom Patrol is a fucking gem.

Like, it's utterly amazing how good it is and the pure joy it brought me with it's fundamentally broken, crappy people is amazing.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I've been watching Titans now that it is on HBOMax, and while I give it points for going ham on the TVMA DC comics, Doom Patrol still has it beat on style points. I mean, Titans doesn't have Alan Tudyk or Timothy Dalton.

The crossover between the shows (I guess maybe it was a backdoor Doom Patrol pilot?) was jarring because the Chief was played by someone who was distinctly Not Timothy Dalton and I spent the whole episode waiting for it to be revealed that it wasn't the real Chief.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I've been watching Titans now that it is on HBOMax, and while I give it points for going ham on the TVMA DC comics, Doom Patrol still has it beat on style points. I mean, Titans doesn't have Alan Tudyk or Timothy Dalton.

The crossover between the shows (I guess maybe it was a backdoor Doom Patrol pilot?) was jarring because the Chief was played by someone who was distinctly Not Timothy Dalton and I spent the whole episode waiting for it to be revealed that it wasn't the real Chief.

Crisis on Infinite Earths established that Titans and Doom Patrol exist on different earths

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Crisis on Infinite Earths established that Titans and Doom Patrol exist on different earths

I should re-watch that now that I've seen the extra shows. Blew right past me the first time.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Doom Patrol is a fucking gem.

Like, it's utterly amazing how good it is and the pure joy it brought me with it's fundamentally broken, crappy people is amazing.

I thought it might be too depressing for the sake of being depressing, but the very powerful human elements and injections of comedy really save it from the fate of being dull, grinding hyper-drama.

I mean, I just got to watch existence saved by countering the deCreator with a reCreator who was summoned by reading magic words hidden on a dog, which followed shortly on the heels of the gutpunch of Rita trying to cheer up the deCreator's "sacrifice" and having him vaporized in front of her. I don't feel the show is simply trying to punish me for watching it.

And these seasons are huge. Each episode is basically an hour and near double the size of the usual streaming show season, so even if the show ends at S2 I feel like the show still got a ton of time. It actually is a pretty solid work for showing why writing carries a show so much more than special effects; it's clear they're trying to keep the effects budget down as much as they can, but it works extremely well because the show is about the characters rather than being about big comic book fights.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    https://ew.com/movies/zack-snyders-justice-league-theaters-r-rated/
    Zack Snyder is looking to bring his highly anticipated director's cut of Justice League to the big screen — and his new footage would likely tip the four-hour opus into an R-rating.

"Here's one piece of information nobody knows: The movie is insane and so epic and is probably rated R — that's one thing I think will happen, that it will be an R-rated version, for sure," Snyder tells EW. "We haven't heard from the MPAA, but that's my gut."

Asked for details about what makes the new footage explicit, Snyder reveals, "There's one scene where Batman drops an F-bomb. Cyborg is not too happy with what's going on with his life before he meets the Justice League, and he tends to speak his mind. And Steppenwolf is pretty much just hacking people in half. So [the rating would be due to] violence and profanity, probably both."

Perhaps an even bolder move than a cussing Dark Knight is Snyder pushing for Warner Bros. to release his recut and supersized HBO Max film on the big screen in 2021, at a time when parent company WarnerMedia is trying to boost its nascent streaming service with as much exclusive content as possible. To be clear, a decision on whether to release the film theatrically has not yet been made, and Warner Bros. had no comment for this story. But Snyder has previously stated that adding a big-screen rollout along with the HBO Max release is his preference and now the director suggests steps are being taken in that direction.

Whelp, Justice League being rated R kills any interest I have in it. Batman throwing around F-bombs....so edgy. 🙄

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Teenage Edgelord Aspires to See Make R-Rated Movie: "So Epic"

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    https://ew.com/movies/zack-snyders-justice-league-theaters-r-rated/
    Zack Snyder is looking to bring his highly anticipated director's cut of Justice League to the big screen — and his new footage would likely tip the four-hour opus into an R-rating.

"Here's one piece of information nobody knows: The movie is insane and so epic and is probably rated R — that's one thing I think will happen, that it will be an R-rated version, for sure," Snyder tells EW. "We haven't heard from the MPAA, but that's my gut."

Asked for details about what makes the new footage explicit, Snyder reveals, "There's one scene where Batman drops an F-bomb. Cyborg is not too happy with what's going on with his life before he meets the Justice League, and he tends to speak his mind. And Steppenwolf is pretty much just hacking people in half. So [the rating would be due to] violence and profanity, probably both."

Perhaps an even bolder move than a cussing Dark Knight is Snyder pushing for Warner Bros. to release his recut and supersized HBO Max film on the big screen in 2021, at a time when parent company WarnerMedia is trying to boost its nascent streaming service with as much exclusive content as possible. To be clear, a decision on whether to release the film theatrically has not yet been made, and Warner Bros. had no comment for this story. But Snyder has previously stated that adding a big-screen rollout along with the HBO Max release is his preference and now the director suggests steps are being taken in that direction.

Whelp, Justice League being rated R kills any interest I have in it. Batman throwing around F-bombs....so edgy. 🙄

Ok Warner Bros deserves whatever happens to it

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    The movie was already going to be a bit of a downer mess because that is just how Snyder sees comic books. But the fact that he doesn't get the Justice League at the most fundamental levels is proven by this very article and what he is trying to do with this cut of the movie.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXph0arElKs
    And Steppenwolf is pretty much just hacking people in half. So [the R rating would be due to] violence and profanity, probably both.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Oh, god, this is the movie where Snyder is going to make good on his wish...Batman is going to get raped in prison isn't he? :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I can see Bruce Wayne Batman saying "Fuck", but not as Batman. As, like Matches Malone or another undercover persona he would of course adapt his speech patterns to the person he was imitating.

I have a feeling that's not what Snyder means though.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "What's your superpower?"

"I'm rich as fuck"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I can see Bruce Wayne Batman saying "Fuck", but not as Batman. As, like Matches Malone or another undercover persona he would of course adapt his speech patterns to the person he was imitating.

I have a feeling that's not what Snyder means though.

I could see it working for Batman if you throw it in the same way The Witcher does. Just that even Snyder's super murdery Batman doesn't come off as the sort to casually drop f-bombs. Aquaman, sure, but not Bats.

Weirdly vague story. Patty Jenkins was not a fan of Joss' Justice League, but not for the same reasons as everyone else I think.
    “I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did,” Jenkins said about Whedon’s “Justice League” theatrical cut. “But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on. So then, what are you going to do? I was like…you would have to play ball in both directions in order for that to work.”

Jenkins noted that she worked closely with Snyder to maintain a sense of character continuity for Diana Prince/Wonder Woman through “Wonder Woman,” Snyder’s “Justice League,” and the upcoming “Wonder Woman 1984.” Jenkins and Snyder mapped out where Diana would “sort of end up” by the end of the “Justice League” Snyder cut, thus allowing Jenkins to pick up with the character in “Wonder Woman 1984” in a natural way.

I have so many questions about this, but it's not going to be enough to get me to sit through four hours of Snyderverse.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Why would Justice League matter to a movie set 30 years prior?

Or one set an entire century prior?

Idgi

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »

Idgi

Just for character progression it makes sense that her character at the end of 1984 will fit in with BvS and Justice League. The giant time gaps in her movie series make the whole thing a little strange though. The real head scratcher is that given what Snyder did with every other member of the Justice League, what the heck got Jenkins excited about what he was going to do with Wonder Woman?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Idgi

Yeah, that was my thought exactly. 100 years of being a fish out of water, no character change at all in that time?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think it's the bit where it's stated that she didn't do anything significant in all that time. Which makes making a movie with her doing something significant in that time a little more challenging unless you either ignore the statement, or write it so that no-one knows that it happened (which limits you options on large public events, etc).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think it's the bit where it's stated that she didn't do anything significant in all that time. Which makes making a movie with her doing something significant in that time a little more challenging unless you either ignore the statement, or write it so that no-one knows that it happened (which limits you options on large public events, etc).

Or do what they are doing with 1984.

• Options

Always an issue when the time period includes WWII. Even if you were living in a cave so you didn't know it was happening, I'd have to think that popping out for groceries and discovering you sat out the Holocaust would leave some sort of a mark. Honestly, the only real consistency in the DCEU is just how little interest any of the characters have in actually being heroes. Shazam being the notable exception on that.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    When is it coming out? I'm thinking of using a free sub for ww84, and if it was there , I'd watch it out of morbid curiosity.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    daveNYC wrote: »

Always an issue when the time period includes WWII. Even if you were living in a cave so you didn't know it was happening, I'd have to think that popping out for groceries and discovering you sat out the Holocaust would leave some sort of a mark. Honestly, the only real consistency in the DCEU is just how little interest any of the characters have in actually being heroes. Shazam being the notable exception on that.

Ya that's one problem. No way ww doesn't get involved in ww2 when she gets wind of the holocaust. That's make her the worst super hero in history. At least marvel had captain america pinching Hitler in the face in the comics and was frozen for future conflicts.

RickRude on
  • Options
    The DC comics had a reason for the golden age heroes to not get directly involved, but I don't know if it's still in effect. Hitler had the Spear of Destiny, which would allow him to mind control any superhero that got close enough.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Ya that's one problem. No way ww doesn't get involved in ww2 when she gets wind of the holocaust. That's make her the worst super hero in history. At least marvel had captain america pinching Hitler in the face in the comics and was frozen for future conflicts.

That may be the best typo over.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Of course, now he was actually a secret nazi.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

I dunno, he's also got one in the NFL thread talking about needing a "rubbing game" in Miami.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

If she had left humanity and decided to stay on Themyscira for sixty or so years, would they even know what was happening in the world?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

If she had left humanity and decided to stay on Themyscira for sixty or so years, would they even know what was happening in the world?

It's been a while since I watched it, but weren't they oblivious to WWI happening when Steve Trevor and the Nazis found their island, at the start of the first movie? Or were they "not my problem"ing things?

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

It's been a while since I watched it, but weren't they oblivious to WWI happening

They were. Their island is so shrouded that Steve Trevor went from a gloomy fog-filled ocean to a sunny beach in the span of like a hundred feet.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've not seen any of the 84 stuff, but my understanding is that she didn't go back to the island after WW1.
    I assume 84 will retcon it, but the implication in JL was that she's mostly been keeping to herself between then and the modern day, at least until BvS got her to join in.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

I dunno, he's also got one in the NFL thread talking about needing a "rubbing game" in Miami.

The phone don't lie

This discussion has been closed.