As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This take (by bobsvids) made me giggle for almost a solid minute.

EnC_VHRXEAYddTQ.jpg

This looks actually better than the original picture, because at least here he's distinguishable from the background.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Meh. I get it's just the latest thing to dunk on Snyder for, but it's little old hat at this point. I'm actually moreso surprised how many people feel strongly against this design of a nobody character in a movie people say they don't care about but can't stop talking about

To be fair, that design for Steppenwolf would be hilariously bad and dunkable even if somebody else did it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Meh. I get it's just the latest thing to dunk on Snyder for, but it's little old hat at this point. I'm actually moreso surprised how many people feel strongly against this design of a nobody character in a movie people say they don't care about but can't stop talking about

Yes, we can always talk about the other movies we’re getting updates about. :P

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Idk y'all are pretty blaise about shitting on a dude who finally gets to finish a movie he couldn't the first time because he had a suicide in the family, and all the trauma and grief that goes with that... it's probably a pretty emotional thing for the dude and he has a right to be proud of his work even if it's widely criticised. When I was younger I would have revelled in the "cringe" of the DCEU but now it just feels like people beating a dead horse for so long there's just a wet spot on the ground where a horse once was

Like it's been years and years since BvS, and even Justice League feels funny to me even coming back up now. But if anything, I hope that getting to make his movie gives the man some catharsis and peace in a cruel and shitty world.

And affleck was the bomb in phantoms

• Options
    Idk y'all are pretty blaise about shitting on a dude who finally gets to finish a movie he couldn't the first time because he had a suicide in the family, and all the trauma and grief that goes with that... it's probably a pretty emotional thing for the dude and he has a right to be proud of his work even if it's widely criticised. When I was younger I would have revelled in the "cringe" of the DCEU but now it just feels like people beating a dead horse for so long there's just a wet spot on the ground where a horse once was

Like it's been years and years since BvS, and even Justice League feels funny to me even coming back up now. But if anything, I hope that getting to make his movie gives the man some catharsis and peace in a cruel and shitty world.

That's great for him but that Steppenwolf is still uniquely horrible.

And as I've said before, every director shoots way, WAY too much material, and nearly all of them have to cut it down to find a coherent, watchable story. Snyder's doing the opposite. It's self-indulgence on a scale rarely seen before. The result is going to be utterly fascinating. That's why it's so hard to look away.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    God and Monsters Superman makes the DCEU Superman look so much worse. Because it shows exactly how you can do a darker take on Superman that's still recognizably Superman.

I'd theorize that it helps if your top ten list of favorite superheroes doesn't include John Galt and Howard Roark.

edit: To be honest, I don't just dislike Synder's work, I think it's genuinely fucked up that some edgelord Ayn Rand fanboy gets to shape the mainstream image of iconic boy scout superheroes. Even if you think their older versions are boring or lacking in nuance, someone who doesn't really 'get' altruism has to be the worst possible choice to modernize them.

Though, perhaps, depressingly appropriate?

Gods and monsters is like the perfect handling of a "dark" version of the characters, particularly since what we're dealing with isn't the OG trinity but rather characters that have stepped into their shoes and furthermore it does all of this in an incredibly mature way that makes sense and ultimately walks the characters back towards a more heroic footing then they were at the start of the story.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I'm curious if he appreciates the irony of people making emotional plees on his behalf given his Randian values.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Listen, I'm a DC guy. I want the DC movies to be great. Superman is my favorite superhero. He has been for a very long time.

I can appreciate that Snyder finally gets to finish his original vision. I'm happy for him. If that vision is pure dog poo, then I'm allowed to dunk on that. His vision of Superman as an angsty sad sack who destroys someone's livelihood due to being picked on and taking no joy at all in saving people and making out with Lois on top of what used to be buildings and human bodies is pure dog poo.

Sorry, that is my rant for the day.

Seriously though, I never watched the Whedon JLA as it just seemed like a horrible slapped together mess. I will end up watching the snyder version out of morbid curiosity. It might end up good. I don't have high hopes. The trailer kind of unsold me on it. It just looks like a colorless and joyless film. Maybe I'm wrong. I really should watch the Whedon version so I can compare them. At least the horrific Superman mouth won't be in the new one.

But as for the design of steppenwolf....it's so so bad.

But in the end, Snyder is getting paid quite a bit and is getting the opportunity to finish his vision of the movie. He doesn't need to be defended like the leave Brittany alone kid. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm not even defending per se, I just find the conversation around it all very exhausting. I'll probably just bow out of the thread and unsub just like the Star Wars thread because people's opinions come across rather toxic and circle jerk-y. It's not like Steppenwolf is some sacred cow of a character that having a cringe design is some affront to our collective senses.

I guess over time I'm getting less jaded and more empathetic, which for myself I'm okay with

• Options
    As a guy who enjoyed Rise of Skywalker despite it's flaws and didn't see it as the garbage most on here did, I understand. But in the end, having varying opinions make for interesting discussion.

I'm generally pretty chill about everything and don't overly hate much. I think DC and Superman in particular is one of the few areas of nerd culture I'm particularly vocal about, both the good and the bad. I think the Flash tv show is super fun and even it's bad seasons have been worth watching. Most people disagree with me and feel that Flash has been all or mostly terrible. Smallville, to me, is one of the best and most fun representations of Superman and gave us some really great stuff to fill out Clark's early life and career. A lot of people absolutely hate Smallville and I'm pretty much the only defender of the show on this site.

So I get it, but I don't fault those who have dissenting opinions on those shows. They are entitled to them.

Also the best thing to come out of the DCEU has been Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Wonder Woman was legit good with a terrible villain, and Aquaman was super dumb but very fun to watch.

I still feel that Snyder was the wrong choice for the DC movies from the get go, because he has no love of the characters. He gets them wrong on a fundamental level. But even then, I still enjoyed Man of Steel despite major problems I have with it. And Batman ft. Superman gave me new appreciation for Superman Returns, so there's that. Even with the issues (alot of issues) I had with Batman ft. Superman, it had some killer action scenes in it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Just because I like sharing my love of Supes, just a snippet of my collection:
    cj8sisM.jpg
    a4pMhYs.jpg
    8IFjSNI.jpg

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If he'd stop screaming "I'm an auteur, take me seriously!" at the top of his lungs, maybe we would.

But, come on. "My vision is best experienced in black and white, on an IMAX screen." Fuck off.

This is such a laughably immature idea

Such a cargo-cult edgelord

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    cj8sisM.jpg
    a4pMhYs.jpg
    8IFjSNI.jpg

Movie shelf is missing Iron Giant :biggrin:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    cj8sisM.jpg
    a4pMhYs.jpg
    8IFjSNI.jpg

Funny enough, I really do need to grab that on Bluray. I love the Iron Giant.

Truth be told though, while Superman plays a part, it can't go on my Superman Shelf since it's not a Superman movie. :P

Also, the Lego Emblem was a surprise my wife made me as a gift. It was pretty great.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As a guy who enjoyed Rise of Skywalker despite it's flaws and didn't see it as the garbage most on here did, I understand. But in the end, having varying opinions make for interesting discussion.

But are we going to have interesting discussions? Will we even have a good deal of varying opinions?

Because right now the general flow of discussion is 10% of folks mentioning that they enjoyed something from Snyder's DCEU and 90% tripping over themselves to get in the freshest insult.

It isn't something I would really highlight as inviting an engaging discourse on the film/franchise, when you are shamed from discussing any of its possible merits.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    cj8sisM.jpg
    a4pMhYs.jpg
    8IFjSNI.jpg

Funny enough, I really do need to grab that on Bluray. I love the Iron Giant.

Truth be told though, while Superman plays a part, it can't go on my Superman Shelf since it's not a Superman movie. :P

Also, the Lego Emblem was a surprise my wife made me as a gift. It was pretty great.

Be ready , that emblem may open a door you can't close heh.

Superman has had a dozen or more lego sets

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    where's your copy of Miracle Monday?

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

I'm reminded of the time Grant Morrison said that the best Superman movie made so far is actually Disney's Hercules.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So they're releasing Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max as well as in cinemas on Christmas Day.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If he'd stop screaming "I'm an auteur, take me seriously!" at the top of his lungs, maybe we would.

But, come on. "My vision is best experienced in black and white, on an IMAX screen." Fuck off.

This is such a laughably immature idea

Such a cargo-cult edgelord

Just because it's best experienced as B&W IMAX doesn't mean it suddenly becomes good. If George Miller said the same thing about Black and Chrome, I'd be willing to listen. Zach Snyder, not so much.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

But are we going to have interesting discussions? Will we even have a good deal of varying opinions?

Because right now the general flow of discussion is 10% of folks mentioning that they enjoyed something from Snyder's DCEU and 90% tripping over themselves to get in the freshest insult.

It isn't something I would really highlight as inviting an engaging discourse on the film/franchise, when you are shamed from discussing any of its possible merits.

People post in the thread when new things are released. Snyder is generating the only new DC movie content right now, so we're going to be talking about that.

And maybe, just maybe, if said content looked interesting we might even discuss it in a positive light!

While still shitting on Snyder, of course. I paid two dollars to see Sucker Punch in theaters and am still angry about it. I don't see my hatred of Snyder and his work abating any time soon.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I honestly wonder how many people are seeing this reveal and going "Wait, who the fuck was this character again?"

What? How can anyone forget Steppenwolf, Darkseid's uncle who LARPs as a huntsman? He was in, not just one, but two issues of Jack Kirby's much celebrated Fourth World opus. The mighty warrior who died in his first appearance and was resurrected with brain damage in his second.

Truly a classic DC character, beloved by all.

Whenever I hear 'Steppenwolf', the first thing I think of is the band. Not really a great way of building a threatening character.

The film would be arguably more interesting if they were fighting the band.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I honestly wonder how many people are seeing this reveal and going "Wait, who the fuck was this character again?"

What? How can anyone forget Steppenwolf, Darkseid's uncle who LARPs as a huntsman? He was in, not just one, but two issues of Jack Kirby's much celebrated Fourth World opus. The mighty warrior who died in his first appearance and was resurrected with brain damage in his second.

Whenever I hear 'Steppenwolf', the first thing I think of is the band. Not really a great way of building a threatening character.

Of the many bad things about Justice League, the way that Steppenwolf chumped both the Amazons and the Atlanteans was hilariously awful. Both civilizations had their boxes locked up and guarded by their best warriors and the dude just teleports in and yoinks them both in less than five minutes. The human box on the other hand remains hidden because they were lazy and just dumped it in a hole and forgot about it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Of the many bad things about Justice League, the way that Steppenwolf chumped both the Amazons and the Atlanteans was hilariously awful. Both civilizations had their boxes locked up and guarded by their best warriors and the dude just teleports in and yoinks them both in less than five minutes. The human box on the other hand remains hidden because they were lazy and just dumped it in a hole and forgot about it.

Solving problems the Human way!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The moment they lose the motherbox in the theatrical cut of Justice League is, without hyperbole, the hardest I have ever laughed in a theater. I assume it was to duct tape together some missing scenes, because it's such a weird non moment for such a pivotal event - almost off screen, a boom tube descends, landing behind some shrubs, then goes away. And after a brief pause, Wonder Woman declares "...he has the cube!"

It is just grade s, perfect tier unintentional comedy, and if they fixed it in the Snyder Cut I will be supremely disappointed.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    That's the sort of thing you'd use to establish the villain as a major threat. He shows up, kicks the ass of whatever team is there, and then escapes with his prize, causing the protagonists to Come Together As A Team/Devise A Cunning Plan/Build A Superweapon to defeat him later. A setback leading to some sort of growth that makes the difference in the final battle. Or don't, it's all good.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    WW84 being released same day streaming makes me think the movie isn't that good to begin with. If it was a solid money maker they'd wait but I think a lot of studios are starting to realize the comic movie bubble deflated (not popped) with Endgame and the past year has made people re-prioritize things (plus, the comic industry itself is just crap right now, but at least Bendis is leaving Superman so that's something)

Even with AT&T having buttloads of debt and trying to cut away stuff and even hollowing out DC, this being a write-off movie still wouldn't be done if they expected at least another 750 milly movie.

• Options
    There aren't going to be any movie theaters open in a month in major cities, it either goes to streaming or it doesn't come out

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Yea, I don't think it releasing on streaming is indicative of its quality at all. It's just a matter of theaters are just not going to be opening in a large way in quite a while and putting this on HBO Max is one more reason to get people to buy into the steaming service.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Also puts a check mark next to "We released this movie in 2020" and "Film was released to theaters."

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The fact that it's a free watch on HBO Max day-1 rather than a simultaneous theaters + $20 Amazon Prime/$30 Disney+ rental release makes me suspect HBO opened up their Scrooge McDuck vault and poured money out until DC Films said "when" as a means of drumming up interesting HBO Max. None of their big series this year have been as big as GOT was, or anywhere near, and the ones that did drive interest in the platform are all over for the year. Having a moderately big movie come to their service seems like an effective way to keep people from unsubscribing for another month (or a few, in hopes they do it again).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I wish Marvel would just bite the bullet and release Black Widow on Disney +, even with the 30.00 early entry fee. It would be less money than I'd spend at the theater taking my family.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I love 'comic book movie bubble is deflating/popped' statements, mostly because I'm pretty sure I've see them every year since at least X-Men came out, but often before. The only time it was accurate was when Batman & Robin made a spirited attempt to kill the genre along with the franchise.
    A bad comic book movie comes out, doesn't do well (because it was bad), and pundits claim it as a sign that the genre is dead. Then another comic book movie comes out and does incredibly well because it isn't bad.

For WW84 I'd guess that they've realised that they're never going to get the cinema take they wanted, because it's going to be a year or so before cinema crowds get anywhere close to pre-covid levels (and considering several chains are talking about shutting down permanently, anywhere close isn't going to be all that close). Streaming was already spelling trouble for cinemas, covid just poured gas over the entire mess and lit a match.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Once theatre open up again watch a bunch of movies get a rerelease so people can see it on the big screen.

• Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    Once theatre open up again watch a bunch of movies get a rerelease so people can see it on the big screen.

This. If your movie is any good you charge them to stream it and then charge them again to see it in theaters. The DVD/Blu-ray distribution guys know how this works, but they're lower on the chain than the execs that are apparently calling the shots on adapting to COVID19

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I could see AT&T and Disney buying up AMC and Regal theaters in the US and turning them into mini amusement parks that only show their movies.

There's certainly a precedence for it in Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) where they operate (but not own for legal reasons) a move theater and arcade place that even has some of those VR rides.

I can see AMC and Regal theaters becoming something similar when COVID is over.

• Options
    Really this is just a sign that all parties are, after months of resistance, finally accepting the new reality. The theaters threw their weight around and threatened to blackball anyone who released their big stuff without them, but now they're all nearly bankrupt and desperate for anything to help keep them alive. Tenant was supposed to be the movie that would save everyone and keep things going, but it flopped.

Now theaters are lucky Wonder Woman's getting a release at all -- especially with COVID cases on the rise globally. Warner's move is practically an act of charity.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The threat of "if you don't show your movies with us because we can't show movies at the moment, we won't show your movies" really didn't have the weight they wanted it to.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    It might be because someone at WB actually has some brains and they're looking to get WW84 in front of audiences before the dribs and drabs coming out of the Snyder Release blow any goodwill the DCEU has built up over their last three films.

On a side note, the settings for the first two WW films are a bit of a mistake. Yeah, they wanted to do an origin sorta thing for a near immortal whose been around since the time of ancient Greece or whenever, but one of the strengths of the Marvel movies is that they have piles of recurring characters for the mains to interact with. Having the first movie set during WWI and the second in 1984 makes it really difficult to bring in those characters that would be an added incentive to see a third WW movie, or that could be utilized in other DCEU movies.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The threat of "if you don't show your movies with us because we can't show movies at the moment, we won't show your movies" really didn't have the weight they wanted it to.

It's never been a theat. Movies have a contractual obligation to be shown in theaters for a set amount of time before they can be shown anywhere else. The production company signs a contract with the distribution company to distribute the movies exclusively in theaters for something like 6 weeks. Once the theater engagement is over, the production company signs a contract with different distribution companies for the home video release. Movies like Tenant and Bond can't be dumped onto streaming without seeing the inside of a theater for a certain amount of time. Disney and AT&T are able to side-step this issue because they own the production company and the distribution companies. The production company has to pay a massive penalty to the cast and crew but won't be sued by the distribution companies.

Theaters blacklisting distribution companies don't have a leg to stand on. They only hurt themselves. Theaters may have contracts with the distribution companies to show a movie for a set amount of time but these contracts are signed on a per movie basis and typically favor the distribution company. Distribution companies are under no obligation to sign a contract with a particular theater chain for a particular movie.

This discussion has been closed.