As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Anything that pushes western studios to give up on China is a-ok by me

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    I dunno. Genocide of an entire people? Natzi's researching the occult and ever means of power both normal and supernatural? They even looked for the spear of destiny if I'm not mistaken .....

Wonder woman shows up, just saying. They made a huge mistake having her show up in ww1 and then not do anything until justice league. Steve rodgers has an excuse, he was frozen. If not, he marches with MLK.
    That's only true for Cap Prime. The Cap who took the long way back to the Endgame denouement was absolutely present for MLK and other world events. He has even fewer magical excuses than Diana why he didn't join in.

Except he's seen the course of history and, very justifiably, may not think that fucking with the timeline is a) his responsibility and b) not actually going to produce a better future.

On top of that, the guy already saved the world multiple times and all it cost him was everything he'd ever known, seeing his best friend turned into a brainwashed assassin, living in a universe where half of everyone he's ever known is gone, watched his friend Stark get a family and then have to leave it to save the universe, and watching the woman he loves die of old age.

People have a right to live and enjoy their lives. If the rest of the world wants to be fucked-up and do awful things, that's not on his head anymore.

On the other hand, Cap is specifically not supposed to be the sort of person who just sits and lets the continued injustice of the United States of America just happen once he gets the Serum.

When you know you're dealing with the lives of half the universe coming right down to the wire, it's not unreasonable to be concerned that the slightest thing going differently could change the outcome to a much worse one.

Hey, maybe this should go to the MCU thread? Let's get this back on topic. I here there's a movie about a wonderful woman coming out?

Saw one headline that the international box office numbers were disappointing, $18.8M in China compared to the first one's $38M opening weekend. Which generally seems like the least surprising news ever considering the whole plague thing.

And there's some interview where she says she didn't do any reshoots for the Snyder cut mess. So, yeah, the Snyder cut.

I wonder if there's a bit of a backlash to western stuff after the Monster Hunter thing, and Wonder Woman got caught in it.

Could be, but a Chinese action movie also underperformed so... shrug?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How are other movies doing? Because, you know, the virus.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

The second-largest box office market in the world? Nothing will push western studios to give up on that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

The second-largest box office market in the world? Nothing will push western studios to give up on that.

Low grosses and unpredictable nationalism already has, so I'm hoping the trend just keeps going

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

There's 1.39B butts in China. Not sure the studios will ever give up on the dream of getting a respectable percentage of them into theaters to see their movies.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I don't mind nudges to China as long as they fit the narrative.

More living in future Shanghai from Looper and less "we're teaming up with China" super scientist Chinese lady who helps make Vision, saves the day, AND somehow is tough enough to survive Ultron shooting her in the chest with lasers in Age of Ultron.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    (Dr Cho is korean, her lab and that whole big action scene is in Seoul)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Uh, does featuring a Korean character make a film much more palatable to China?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I don't mind nudges to China as long as they fit the narrative.

More living in future Shanghai from Looper and less "we're teaming up with China" super scientist Chinese lady who helps make Vision, saves the day, AND somehow is tough enough to survive Ultron shooting her in the chest with lasers in Age of Ultron.

Dr. Cho in Avengers is South Korean, not Chinese (also the reason why the second part of the movie takes place in Seoul).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have a perma-grudge against China and Hollywood because of the Pacific Rim franchise getting utterly butchered in order to attempt to increase interest in China.

And I suppose the litany of horrible human rights violations, I'm not happy about those either.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

There's 1.39B butts in China. Not sure the studios will ever give up on the dream of getting a respectable percentage of them into theaters to see their movies.

Even more importantly, very few of them have access to the technology needed for home streaming to be completely mainstream. Only about 54% of China's population has internet access. A singinfact portion of that comes from mobile phones which aren't exactly the best device to be watching feature length movies. Movie theaters are going to be part of the pop-culture landscape in China for the foreseeable future. Movie theaters in the west were already on life support before COVID. Hollywood is going to keep trying in China until they either figure out the market or go bankrupt. I think the larger studios run by Disney and AT&T will eventually figure it out.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I have a perma-grudge against China and Hollywood because of the Pacific Rim franchise getting utterly butchered in order to attempt to increase interest in China.

And I suppose the litany of horrible human rights violations, I'm not happy about those either.

To be fair, any Pacific Rim without Guillermo del Toro probably wasn't going to be great.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Whoops. Please excuse my accidental racism.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Back to Snyder news, the latest is that he wants to team up with Jim Lee to create a comic where the Joker kills Robin.

...who wants to tell him?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Back to Snyder news, the latest is that he wants to team up with Jim Lee to create a comic where the Joker kills Robin.

Which Robin, though? There are a dozen of them.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Into the Robinverse

Joker jumping through dimensions killing all the Robins

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

At this point, and it being Snyder, which Joker is also a valid question.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    “Crowbars on Infinite Earths”?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

So he wants to make a comic based on movie scenes based on the comic.

It's the fucking Doritos Taco Bell-flavored Doritos of comic book ideas.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Streetfighter the movie the game the movie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Into the Robinverse

Into the Jokerverse would be pretty cool. Imagine all the various Jokers meeting up.

Would have to be comic or animated only, or course.

• Options
    That's the most Zach Snyder idea I've ever heard

Someone please tie his shoelaces together and keep him from taking meetings

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Into the Robinverse

Into the Jokerverse would be pretty cool. Imagine all the various Jokers meeting up.

They did something like that recently. Silver Age Joker, Killing Joke Joker, and New 52 Joker teamed up for some schemes.
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-three-jokers-2020/batman-three-jokers-1

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Into the Robinverse

They did something like that recently. Silver Age Joker, Killing Joke Joker, and New 52 Joker teamed up for some schemes.
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-three-jokers-2020/batman-three-jokers-1

There's just no way I can see Jokers teaming up without a lot of murderous backstabbing going on. Joker does not like to share the limelight.

• Options

Hah, Maggie Mae Fish did this a few weeks back;

https://youtu.be/RflVJW_MRbs

Zack likes cool things and doesn't think about why they happen, he just wants to recreate them.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Into the Robinverse

As long as it includes this Joker:
    18r7ec16q0e8.png

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Ugh do I hate bizarro speak

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Or do you mean "I not hate Bizarro speak!" :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I wonder if it would even be possible to put bizzaro stuff in a DC movie and make it work.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wonder if it would even be possible to put bizzaro stuff in a DC movie and make it work.

Film all bizzaro charcters & bizzaro scenes in a backwards style like 90s music videos.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm wondering what else snyder can ram into this shit show at this point. Maybe a 10 minute sequence of kiteman beating Ace the Bathound to death with a crowbar filmed from first person. Maybe the killing joke's barbara gordon scene. Maybe it's Clark being birthed back into existance by Lois and rapidly maturing to adulthood so he can go fight toyman.

I'm sure whatever it is it'll be stupider then anyhing we can come up with.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The more analysis I watch about Snyder, the more it explains why despite it being men with abs punching things (which I enjoy), nothing ever feels like it has weight.

The less I end up liking movies I otherwise thought were okay but not great (like 300 or Sucker Punch).

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Suckerpunch is entirely style over substance; the whole thing felt like it was something a twitter bot would have spat out if someone asked it what the ideal movie for 12 year old boys would be.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Suckerpunch is entirely style over substance; the whole thing felt like it was something a twitter bot would have spat out if someone asked it what the ideal movie for 12 year old boys would be.

I mean, I was like 12 when it came out so this checks out

okay not really but

• Options
    Surprising absolutely no one:

https://www.ign.com/articles/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-reveals-that-warner-bros-made-her-change-the-movies-ending
    The original end of the first movie was also smaller but the studio made me change it at the last minute

Guess it wasn't meant to end in a big dumb CGI fight with a cartoon guy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Now I would actually pay money for a Director's Cut of Wonder Woman. That end fight was just completely out of place.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Good to have confirmation of what we all knew.

• Options
    Aaand my enthusiasm for seeing it just went down a notch. Great.

Is there any official word on whether they did that for the first one? Because that suddenly going CGI-fest after we found out that Lupin was the bad guy felt a little out of place.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aaand my enthusiasm for seeing it just went down a notch. Great.

Is there any official word on whether they did that for the first one? Because that suddenly going CGI-fest after we found out that Lupin was the bad guy felt a little out of place.

She's talking about the first movie

This discussion has been closed.