Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

1252627282931»

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My wife thinks I we need a privacy fence to protect the neighbors from seeing my garden but I think…

ba5qtdzh3ox8.jpeg

…it’s shaping up to be beautiful

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I got a bunch of plants yesterday and spent the afternoon sprucing up out little courtyard. My prize acquisition is a dwarf maple that is now my precious child.

Last night, squirrels went through and wrecked havoc, digging up everything and damaging the base of the tree a bit.

I am now at war. The first volley has been fired, with cayenne sprinkled generously over all the pots. Hopefully that actually does something, or at least makes the squirrels unhappy

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I got a bunch of plants yesterday and spent the afternoon sprucing up out little courtyard. My prize acquisition is a dwarf maple that is now my precious child.

Last night, squirrels went through and wrecked havoc, digging up everything and damaging the base of the tree a bit.

I am now at war. The first volley has been fired, with cayenne sprinkled generously over all the pots. Hopefully that actually does something, or at least makes the squirrels unhappy
    Of all the animals that have destroyed my gardening attempts over the years, it's squirrels that have been the worst. Everything else, I get it, I planted food and they like eating food. Some I wish would at least wait for the plants to become food for both of us instead of eating the plant (looking at you, rabbits and field mice that chopped down my tiny corn while they were still sprouts).
    But squirrels man, those assholes. They just dig up anywhere that looks like it was disturbed recently or something. I transplant sprouts down and they're dug back up (and most are dead) within a day. They don't even eat them! They just, unplant them! There's nothing in the ground for you squirrels please wait until there's tomatoes and just steal some then!
    Careful leaf and detritus placement as camouflage works, sometimes. I should try cayenne too. Really don't want to go through the effort of placing squirrel cages over everything.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Yeah we had a nice baby Mango tree growing on our porch, and those fuckers dug it up and ate the roots, killing it. Death to Squirrels!

96058.png?1619393207