As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I just about can't stand to watch these Godzilla trailers anymore. I get so fucking hyped that not being able to watch the movie right now is almost painful.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They're just bats it's not hard to fight them come on you losers.

Also The Tuc you're too good for Netflix movies.
    He's willing to play two different roles in two different Transformers movies.

The man will not say no to a paycheck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    kaid wrote: »

If they are that aggressive to random noises it seemingly would be simple to kill them by the score. Put up a huge web of interlocking concertina wire or something along those lines with a boombox under it. Maybe put the boombox into a heavily electrified cage. Do it the old bug zapper way.

I mean at least A Quiet Place didn't really show the aliens, and it was reasonable to be like well they're actively hunting people so they're listening for people-type noises... these fucking bats seem incredibly easy to deal with!

And they really should be reacting to environmental sounds way way more often than they would like spoken voices in a room. You should be able to put up some foam and be pretty comfortable.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its like nature movies as written by people who know next to nothing about nature/biology. I guess this is how tech people feel about literally any tech thing in a movie ever.

"You can't hack the... fuck its not even the same proto... GOD DAMN IT!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    umm idk i think it would be pretty hard to engineer, test, manufacture and place enough of these devices across a country the size of the united states to combat swarms of them

also they're destroying cities, supply trains are disrupted, and millions of people are dying from the sounds of the trailer

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    umm idk i think it would be pretty hard to engineer, test, manufacture and place enough of these devices across a country the size of the united states to combat swarms of them

also they're destroying cities, supply trains are disrupted, and millions of people are dying from the sounds of the trailer

But like why are they not dying in droves from attacking ocean waves?

There are a lot of places with constant noise that aren't actually related to people. What do they do when they hear wind whistling through the trees?

I mean the in-movie answer is "nothing, because that wouldn't work" BUT still

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

You don't need to be that high tech to fight back. Flash bang grenades would fuck them up good, at least disorienting them. Also, the military would be able to murder them in the millions. If bullets proved to cumbersome, would could poison them.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There's this thing called napalm and it's real good at killing everything. Like, it sticks to anything it touches and burns real hot and you can add phosphorus to it and it will keep burning even under water.

Wait, what are we talking about?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    There's this thing called napalm and it's real good at killing everything. Like, it sticks to anything it touches and burns real hot and you can add phosphorus to it and it will keep burning even under water.

Its one of those things where film makers really don't understand how many lethal weapons devastating weapons we have as a society.

Like a plague is a more likely fatal scenario versus magic sound seeking beasts we suddenly don't know how to kill.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Maybe it's not supposed to be taken literally, maybe the bats are a metaphor for the indoctrinating nature of fake news outlets like CNN and their round earth lies?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of it is gonna depend on how many there really are and how fast they can kill people and how fast they show up. And as good as we are at killing things if there's hundreds of millions of them or something napalm and similar munitions aren't the best plan. Napalm doesn't just kill what you want it to it kills everything. You don't drop it on a populated area if the goal is to save the population.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options

There are a lot of places with constant noise that aren't actually related to people. What do they do when they hear wind whistling through the trees?

there are predators who hunt by sound and they listen for prey sounds, not background noise!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

If they are that aggressive to random noises it seemingly would be simple to kill them by the score. Put up a huge web of interlocking concertina wire or something along those lines with a boombox under it. Maybe put the boombox into a heavily electrified cage. Do it the old bug zapper way.

I mean at least A Quiet Place didn't really show the aliens, and it was reasonable to be like well they're actively hunting people so they're listening for people-type noises... these fucking bats seem incredibly easy to deal with!

And they really should be reacting to environmental sounds way way more often than they would like spoken voices in a room. You should be able to put up some foam and be pretty comfortable.

The quiet place the alien things were large and physically powerful. In that netflix show they looked barely bigger than bats and not super massive. So setting up traps to let them impale themselves on various improvised traps should be pretty easy. Call a cell phone set it to play some loud music and then sit back and wait till the sky clears. Its like that whole it follows. Go overseas to like thailand or bangkok and sleep with a few hookers and let the supernatural creature spend the rest of eternity slowly walking across the ocean back and forth.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

there are predators who hunt by sound and they listen for prey sounds, not background noise!

And yet randomly attack every little cell phone noise they hear. Branch snaps in the woods ATTACK! Ice falling off roof ATTACK its all nonsense.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/W8UqsOo9Rhs

Its april fools so be careful you might think this movie is actually directed by Jim Jarmusch but that can't be because it looks entertaining.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It looks great, so I totally expect it to be fake :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Its actually real I believe, like prior to today there had been word of it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That is a hell of a cast.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    That is a hell of a cast.

They are promoting the hells out of that cast.

• Options
    man I loved only lovers left alive

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That looks neat.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That looks a lot better than expected, a bit more Falling Down than "we live in a society" edginess. Kind of wonder how clean it will be in terms of violence and if any Batman appearances will be there, even in distance shots or something, but compared to the absolute zero interest before, it's got something there.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    That looks a lot better than expected, a bit more Falling Down than "we live in a society" edginess. Kind of wonder how clean it will be in terms of violence and if any Batman appearances will be there, even in distance shots or something, but compared to the absolute zero interest before, it's got something there.

I have a sinking feeling that
    the little kid he's forcing a smile on is Bruce.

Hopefully the time scale for the movie is over years/decades, because I want a Batman appearance too.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    The laugh was good.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I just don't want a movie about 'woe is me, my life is hard, time for violence' where we end up sympathizing for the Joker. I want the Joker to 100% be the villain in the movie. Acting looks decent though.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

My only criticism is that this seems to be going with a diagnosable mental illness rather than something unexplainable and inexplicable. But it looks interesting. Be interesting how it fares since it doesn't look like a generic action film, but then it's releasing in October so it's not going for Summer pop corn appeal.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Is this supposed to be the origin story for Heath Ledger's Joker?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

I have a sinking feeling that
    the little kid he's forcing a smile on is Bruce.

Hopefully the time scale for the movie is over years/decades, because I want a Batman appearance too.
    The movie has cast Bruce and Alfred, so yep, that's almost 100% guaranteed kid Batman.[/quote]

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I just don't want a movie about 'woe is me, my life is hard, time for violence' where we end up sympathizing for the Joker. I want the Joker to 100% be the villain in the movie. Acting looks decent though.

Same here. The trailer looks good and Joaquin Phoenix seems to be doing a great job. But I have the same problem with this that I have had with the Venom movie.

Both Venom and the Joker are villains. Don't try to make them the good guys and try to make me care for them.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Same here. The trailer looks good and Joaquin Phoenix seems to be doing a great job. But I have the same problem with this that I have had with the Venom movie.

Both Venom and the Joker are villains. Don't try to make them the good guys and try to make me care for them.

Wasn't there an Agent Venom comic book storyline that basically made him an anti-hero or something like that? I remember folks talking about it when the trailers for that movie first came out.

I don't think the Joker has a corresponding comic book story arc where's he's not the bad guy. He is *the* bad guy for Batman.
    I think there's some Elseworld type stuff where Batman and the Joker are reversed, but that's a goofy Elseworld type thing.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

This was exactly my problem with the story it looks like they are going to tell.

The Joker is a villain best left unknowable. As a force of literal chaos. To have an ordered background told to us ruins the whole appeal of the villain, imo.

I'm sure it will be a great movie with great acting and story. I just don't want to see the Joker's background, especially one where it looks like they make him sympathetic to a degree or understandable.

I'd rather Joker's story be a supervillain version of Nightcrawler (the one with Gyllenhall) or a more grounded and chaotic Brightburn

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »

Wasn't there an Agent Venom comic book storyline that basically made him an anti-hero or something like that? I remember folks talking about it when the trailers for that movie first came out.

I don't think the Joker has a corresponding comic book story arc where's he's not the bad guy. He is *the* bad guy for Batman.
    I think there's some Elseworld type stuff where Batman and the Joker are reversed, but that's a goofy Elseworld type thing.

Venom considering himself some flavor of hero has been a part of the character on and off for ages. He's conceptually like a Spider-Man who thought "with great power comes great responsibility" was stupid because responsibility is lame and for squares and also that motto doesn't let me eat brains occasionally.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Venom hasn't been a villain in like forever. He was an anti-hero and hero far longer than he was ever a villain, it's just that he is iconic for his role as Spider-Man's enemy.

I like to think it was because of the 90's cartoon because it was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhvnEkj1Uek

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »

This was exactly my problem with the story it looks like they are going to tell.

The Joker is a villain best left unknowable. As a force of literal chaos. To have an ordered background told to us ruins the whole appeal of the villain, imo.

I'm sure it will be a great movie with great acting and story. I just don't want to see the Joker's background, especially one where it looks like they make him sympathetic to a degree or understandable.

I'd rather Joker's story be a supervillain version of Nightcrawler (the one with Gyllenhall) or a more grounded and chaotic Brightburn

My secret hope is that there is a framing story going on, where he is telling this story to someone at Arkham and makes the "multiple choice" comment.

Perhaps in a pych interview with a Dr. Harleen Quinzel

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

You didn't play Maximum Carnage for the Sega Genesis where Venom is on the side of right and good against the awfulness that is Carnage?

Venom has been hovering at Punisher levels of Hero/Villain since not long after he showed up.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So is there going to be a Flashpoint film to remove the terrible of the existing DC movie verse, but keep the good?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I need to be reading the comics to understand that the guy that was a villain in Spiderman 3 is not a villain anymore or some kind of antihero.

Yeah, no, thats not how stand alone movies work.

• Options
    If you're talking about the new venom film he's never a villain in that, in fact it's based on the 90s comic series that started after he and spider man had a truce, that's how long it's been since he was a straight up spider man villain.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Comics are serials in a way that does not work on the big screen. So whatever happened to Venom in them doesnt matter if you cannot tell the story of how he got to part 2 from part 1 in a believable way.

That being said; NuVenom and old Venom are far enough apart that you can retcon Spiderman 3. Which is from two reboots ago

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.