As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    What I am trying to say is - I don't read the comics, but do know enough about them to know that Venom is a villain in them. And he was in one movie (reboots in between or not), where he was a villain.

That is why it was odd for me to see him being the somewhat hero of the story. Stuff like casually biting the face off of people didn't help his cause.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Venom has been an anti-hero longer than he's been a villain though.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So is there going to be a Flashpoint film to remove the terrible of the existing DC movie verse, but keep the good?

At this point no, because the current strategy is "eh, screw shared universes." I mean, characters will show up/be mentioned in other movies, but there isn't going to be any continuity going forward.

...at least until they change their strategy yet again in a few months.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Re: Agent Venom: Agent Venom wasn’t Brock; he lost the symbiote for a while, then Scorpion had it, lost it, then somehow it got paired up with Flash Thompson, now a veteran, which is where Agent Venom comes in, since I think he was supposed to be working as a government agent.

Except now because time must eternally stand still or be wound back even if it means wrenching the hands of time back with all editorial might, Eddie’s Venom again and I think I read that the current series is basically “these two have a deeply scarred and toxic relationship.”

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I think that more recently nobody is Venom and it's just a symbiote walking around on its own.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Lanz wrote: »
    Re: Agent Venom: Agent Venom wasn’t Brock; he lost the symbiote for a while, then Scorpion had it, lost it, then somehow it got paired up with Flash Thompson, now a veteran, which is where Agent Venom comes in, since I think he was supposed to be working as a government agent.

Except now because time must eternally stand still or be wound back even if it means wrenching the hands of time back with all editorial might, Eddie’s Venom again and I think I read that the current series is basically “these two have a deeply scarred and toxic relationship.”

I think they last revealed that the symbiotes were the composites of a god, and that All Black the Necrosword was made up of symbiotes.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think Venom did a great job at capturing Lethal Protector Eddie. I'm excited for the sequel.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I kind of felt like Venom could have just been a movie about a random alien. I really didn't care for it. Granted it's probably challenging to build a compelling narrative around such a snoozer of character. To me, the only way to do that character right would be to have Spidey be involved or to do the Agent Venom stuff. The rest of Venom's history is pretty vacuous and uninteresting.

• Options
    Lethal Protector is pretty awful if you go back and read it and while the film was OK, glaring issues aside, it's a shame to waste the character when he is capable of being such an intense Spider-Man villain.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Rz2qxNMHa08

Bautista keeps expanding that profile.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'd ask is this Bautista's Tooth Fairy, but I expect better from him and it looks more interesting if already predictable.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It was corny but I liked it :D

The main worry is that it seems like the kind of movie that showed everything interesting in the trailer, so I'm hoping not...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Venom has been an anti-hero longer than he's been a villain though.

Venom was a villain, but he was cool and people liked him so they made him a not-that-bad-guy.

Carnage will always be a villain though.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I'd ask is this Bautista's Tooth Fairy, but I expect better from him and it looks more interesting if already predictable.

Yeah, he doesn't come off as completely ignorant on how Normal People live, which is already puts it over most "Macho action hero has to deal with kids" movies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The girl looks like she can act. Which is amazing really for this mind of movie.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Yeah, he doesn't come off as completely ignorant on how Normal People live, which is already puts it over most "Macho action hero has to deal with kids" movies.

The kid also seemed decent, which is always a plus in these movies.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I am in favor of Dave Bautista becoming Dwayne Johnson 2.0.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Holy crap - Dave Bautista is already 50 years old.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Dol6VpmWc

New Refn series? Coming to amazon prime? This looks interesting, but I think the trailer kind of gives away the game here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Miles Teller, pass.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/uvMWLiVqnqA

Another Dave movie!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Ok, Stuber looks ok.
    Better than My Spy at least.

• Options
    Stuber I would watch (liked the gun shooting/throwing/throwing joke). And they better reference Collateral with the whole setup.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Hrm, the look is faithful to the comic, but in a cheap looking sort of way. Also you don't cast Oscar Issac as Gomez only to make him animated.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I dunno. I dunno! It makes me uncomfortable. Do I hate the Pennywise joke because I'm an old curmudgeon? Or do I hate it because that sort of pop culture reference genuinely doesn't settle well with the Addam's Family? I have soul searching to do.

Also, yeah, cheapish looking. I suppose it could be a symptom of trailers releasing with unfinished CGI.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    I didn't hate it, it just fell flat because the commentary seems so out-of-character. Then again, I have no exposure to the comic itself. All of my Addam's Family knowledge is from the movies.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    That seemed hella weak and just one of those bad Dreamworks "you will like it because it's CGI animation, fuck you" movies. It's done by the directors who did Sausage Party and now I'm just wondering how badly did they screw over these animators.

• Options
    Yeah, that's the thing. In stills the style seems kinda cool and it would either be nice and flow-y like Hotel Transylvania or stop-motion-esque like the Peanuts movie. Instead it's blandly lit and the animation is... I dunno, adequate?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I didn't hate The Addams Family trailer, but I don't think it's a very good trailer.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    For having such a nice cast, the line readings all sound like, well, line readings.

I mean I know the Addams family trademark style of speech is obviously one thing, but some of those lines are just DOA

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Animation quality seems more like something for an animated series, not a theatrical movie.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    There is no personality conveyed through their animations is what bugs me the most. I really can't tell one character apart from the other aside from their designs.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That trailer makes it look like even more of a shot for shot remake than ever

Did they even need to bring James Earl Jones back in to the recording booth?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That trailer makes it look like even more of a shot for shot remake than ever

Did they even need to bring James Earl Jones back in to the recording booth?

There were some more lines, but you are right.

I kept thinking... Oh, so this is the new Animated Lion King? Because yeah, most of the time you could tell they were animations, not necessarily real animals, and even the ticks/animalistic movements looked scripted.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Very bland, not classy.

Moer leik Hackboona Pootata

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    This Lion King movie looks ugly and stupid

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    RE: Lion King -

It's interesting how little acting and facial movement they're going for. They're really pushing for realism, which is an interesting choice in a talking animal movie that is also a MUSICAL.

The most noticeable was the famous scene where Simba is growing up from a kid to an adult in while dancing on the log with Timon and Pumba. Before you had this big proud head swing and bounce to the music.

the-lion-king-image.jpg

In the new trailer they're closer to just walking straight forward. No side to side head motion. No real dance.

When Scar tells Simba to get lost and never come back, Simba doesn't look scared. He just looks like a an animal that doesn't understand human speech.

It's such a strange direction.

This discussion has been closed.