Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I find most socieo-economic conspiracy theories boring.

Mostly because I like my conspiracies to be fantastic. Gimme some bad physics or aliens or something.
    The exception being Sovereign Citizens. Who make even tax law seem interesting with their theories.

Yeah, but once you’ve seen one SovCit try to stumble their way into the magic formula of verbal diarrhea that gets them out of trouble, they all get so exhausting.

We've already seen that one Sovereign Citizen get tazed. We're done here, time to wrap this bit up and retire it.

I have seen one completely ignore the judge telling him directly what the magic words were ('this is not my car'), in favour of their crazy legal theory. They had to pay someone's else parking ticket because of that.

Okay, that’s a new one. That’s hilarious.

What is even funnier is that they recorded it illegally and put it on YouTube as a proof that their system works. Like, "if it wasn't for that unfair judge, I would have obtained JUSTICE!!!!!"

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I need to see this one. Time to pollute my suggestions with crazypants searches.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    I need to see this one. Time to pollute my suggestions with crazypants searches.

I saw it a few years ago. I'll try to find it after work.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

I just use a different browser for these kinds of things. I have a co-worker that sends us conspiracy theory Youtube links all the damn time. So when he does I get to fire up the alternate browser that looks like it is owned by someone that likes really awful covers by jam bands (he sends those too) and conspiracy theories. He doesn't label them when he sends them so you never know what you're going to get. If he gets any worse I think I'm going to have to just stop socializing with him at all.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

I saw it a few years ago. I'll try to find it after work.

Got it! The judge literally tells him what to say around 26:10.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Jade Helm was the one where they pretended that the Jade Helm 15 exercises was Obama training the military to exterminate Real America, and they all fixated on a closed wal-mart fifty miles away, saying the Wal-Marts would become hellmouth death-camps.

I only know of Jade Helm 15 because the Governor of Texas order state troops to monitor the exercises.

Oh, and the theory was apparently helped along by Russia.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oh, SovCits, you say?
    (Click through any of those to go to the lengthy Twitter thread that goes into detail about some of the specifics of the particular branch of SovCit he was involved in.)

JJ MacNab is a writer on anti-government extremism at Forbes.com.

There's something particularly enraging about people who inflict harm and suffering not so much because they are malicious as because they are stupid. Or delusional. Or both.

I do wonder how he saved his cabin, though. Was he isolated enough that he could make a trench or firebreak without any of his neighbors noticing?

edit: quoted tweets spoilered for size

Calica on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Mostly because I like my conspiracies to be fantastic. Gimme some bad physics or aliens or something.
    The exception being Sovereign Citizens. Who make even tax law seem interesting with their theories.

Yeah, but once you’ve seen one SovCit try to stumble their way into the magic formula of verbal diarrhea that gets them out of trouble, they all get so exhausting.

Honestly, the thing that's always been curious about that whole stuff to me is that they believe that reciting a magic spell will somehow force the judge to rule a certain way. They posit that the system is corrupt and malicious and yet expect that reciting that nonsense will cause it to collapse and roll over for them.

I swear it's less like a magic spell and more like they think they're in a video game and they're frantically poking everything trying to find the hidden switch that opens the developer console.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Honestly, the thing that's always been curious about that whole stuff to me is that they believe that reciting a magic spell will somehow force the judge to rule a certain way. They posit that the system is corrupt and malicious and yet expect that reciting that nonsense will cause it to collapse and roll over for them.

I swear it's less like a magic spell and more like they think they're in a video game and they're frantically poking everything trying to find the hidden switch that opens the developer console.

Nah, pretty much all of them believe in a specific formula for it. They're not trying things at random, hell some of them have paid money for that crap.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The judge is remarkably patient in that video, considering that the sovcit dude is basically trolling the court.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Nah, pretty much all of them believe in a specific formula for it. They're not trying things at random, hell some of them have paid money for that crap.

A lesser-known facet of the SovCit movement is that many of them make a living by holding conferences that cater towards vulnerable folks who are already marginalized by the system. They aren't that different from pseudoscience hucksters in that regard.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned in here but it seems relevant to the thread.

Alex Jones is getting sued by the guy that got the Charlottesville attacks on film.

Alex Jones was one of many who tried to set up a counter narrative to deflect blame from the alt-right for the attack by reporting the attack was set up by left wing activists to discredit Trump. Goes without saying its pretty critical for democracy and the press that one of these fake news factories faces a legal consequence at some point.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

A lesser-known facet of the SovCit movement is that many of them make a living by holding conferences that cater towards vulnerable folks who are already marginalized by the system. They aren't that different from pseudoscience hucksters in that regard.

Right wing politics in general is rife with scams, pyramid schemes, and outright criminal conspiracies that usually involve wire fraud.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Right wing politics in general is rife with scams, pyramid schemes, and outright criminal conspiracies that usually involve wire fraud.

Yup. The difference between your nigerian prince scam chain email and your right-wing conspiracy chain email and your chemtrails chain email is not that much when it comes to who is picking them up and reading them.

shryke on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I keep reading that as Soviet Citizens...

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Do sovereign citizens recognize the inverse?

Ok, so they are sovereign and can pretend l ignore laws of the state, but lemme guess, they get all pissy when someone can so something to them, like steal or inflict bodily harm?

Is this one of those having cake and eating situations, where they want the law to ignore them when they are dicks and don’t wanna pay taxes, then get all hissy when someone is a dick to them and demand the fire department or some other tax payer funded service?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So, a few anons have declared "war" against the qposters, claiming to have believed that the original Q-posters were trolls operating out of 8chan, that Scott Adams is involved, and that they only let it go on for so long because they thought there would be some punchline.

Here's a repost of their announcement, y'know, if you want to see "anon declares war on" footage for the billionth time.

It should be noted for those still believing Buzzfeed's version of events that Q's first appearance was an attempt to get people to call their congresscritters to support war against Iran. Apparently it's just the secular version of the "Satan's trying to interrupt my political work, help me beat Satan!" scam.

e: And now the pastebins are flying. The most linkable one is a debunking of Q titled An Appeal To Patriots, complete with an explanation of how tripcodes work. Considering that the broader politics-obsessed internet public already know a few "Q"'s identities as a result of their slipping up, this might get really ugly.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Ok, so they are sovereign and can pretend l ignore laws of the state, but lemme guess, they get all pissy when someone can so something to them, like steal or inflict bodily harm?

Is this one of those having cake and eating situations, where they want the law to ignore them when they are dicks and don’t wanna pay taxes, then get all hissy when someone is a dick to them and demand the fire department or some other tax payer funded service?

They do. A common tactic is to place fraudulent liens against people that annoy them.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The judge is remarkably patient in that video, considering that the sovcit dude is basically trolling the court.

Even the guy seems impressed the judge could put up with him for so long.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So, a few anons have declared "war" against the qposters, claiming to have believed that the original Q-posters were trolls operating out of 8chan, that Scott Adams is involved, and that they only let it go on for so long because they thought there would be some punchline.

Here's a repost of their announcement, y'know, if you want to see "anon declares war on" footage for the billionth time.

It should be noted for those still believing Buzzfeed's version of events that Q's first appearance was an attempt to get people to call their congresscritters to support war against Iran. Apparently it's just the secular version of the "Satan's trying to interrupt my political work, help me beat Satan!" scam.

e: And now the pastebins are flying. The most linkable one is a debunking of Q titled An Appeal To Patriots, complete with an explanation of how tripcodes work. Considering that the broader politics-obsessed internet public already know a few "Q"'s identities as a result of their slipping up, this might get really ugly.

I've stopped trying to follow this tangle of things...is this another angle in which the right is eating itself?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yes and no. Anonymous is generally libertarian but id call it apolitical. It's not a left or right political group.

But... /Pol/ has been growing on 4chan. But... Anonymous is not as tied to 4chan as it was.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Wait, it has been shown that there are multiple people posting as Q and their identities are known? My understanding has been that it's just someone posting initially on 4chan and later 8chan and that people on those boards are fucked up and believe in that poster's shit for some reason.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

They do. A common tactic is to place fraudulent liens against people that annoy them.

They have made up their own judiciary and marshal force in order to intimidate people who they don't like, which is scary to think about in the current climate of how real police are operating.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Well, there was the whole Malheur Wildlife Refuge fiasco.
    "We don't recognize the law"
    "Oh no, they've got us surrounded, this is unlawful!"

• Options
    edited August 2018
    It really is a ritual magic system. There's spells for defense (separating your person from your legal name, declaring yourself a "citizen of one of the several states", opting out of taxes), spells for attack (filing vexatious litigation or bogus liens), spells for enrichment (declaring penalties to be levied as automatically agreed upon, accessing your birthright riches), and spells for divination (the one thing SovCits seem to do right is FOIA requests, though they certainly don't use what they find right).

Just instead of Fey lore or the Book of the Dead or the Kabbalah your source literature is the US Code.

The part, in my eyes, that I can't reconcile is that the whole idea doesn't work if you don't believe the law is true gospel, which requires the government that makes it to be legitimate. They use the law of the US government as sword, shield, and spyglass, yet they claim said law is unenforceable because it comes from an illegitimate government.

That's literally like an Evangelical Christian summoning Ogma to attack you, and preaching to bystanders that Jesus is the Way and the Light of the One True God while you get the shit beat out of you by a pagan deity.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Kaputa wrote: »

Wait, it has been shown that there are multiple people posting as Q and their identities are known? My understanding has been that it's just someone posting initially on 4chan and later 8chan and that people on those boards are fucked up and believe in that poster's shit for some reason.

Yeah. Various people have been caught doing so, prompting the appearance of q-interpreter SerialBrain2 to "interpret" their various fakeposts, who many Qultist watchers think is an actual, real, genuine Russian agent. (I'll get to him, and the inadvertent self-doxxing of various q's later.)
    Doodmann wrote: »

I've stopped trying to follow this tangle of things...is this another angle in which the right is eating itself?

The people who still do Anonymous range from anarchists (not ancaps) and various breeds of Marxist to actually-principled actually-liberal liberals(not ancaps, just plain yellow flag liberals) who bitch about Apple and Microsoft. I haven't seen very many fascists use Anonymous iconography since the first anti-Trump actions.

4chan is a sea of baby-boomer rightists because that demo tends not to use ad-blockers and the new owner is an asshole spammer.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    It really is a ritual magic system. There's spells for defense (separating your person from your legal name, declaring yourself a "citizen of one of the several states", opting out of taxes), spells for attack (filing vexatious litigation or bogus liens), spells for enrichment (declaring penalties to be levied as automatically agreed upon, accessing your birthright riches), and spells for divination (the one thing SovCits seem to do right is FOIA requests, though they certainly don't use what they find right).

Just instead of Fey lore or the Book of the Dead or the Kabbalah your source literature is the US Code.
    More accurately, a specific version of the US Universal code of commerce.

For some reason, it works even less when you try that in Canada or the UK.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've been a member on these forums for more than a decade, but without a doubt - this is the fucking weirdest thing I've ever read here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I got sucked into a hole watching SC videos and apparently they also insist that the articles of confederation are still the law of the land?

What is getting a new ne supposed to do for you?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've been a member on these forums for more than a decade, but without a doubt - this is the fucking weirdest thing I've ever read here.

Imagine the most insular forums drama you've ever been involved in. Then pepper in mutually-contradictory beliefs that are expressed in the same sentence. That's conspiracy theories.
    e:getting a new name is supposed to make you exempt from the national debt and immune to any laws the sovcit practitioner believes are unjust impositions.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Are we talking spell spells? As in, do they believe they are chanting a literal litany of magic?

Or is it a euphemism for thinking that just spouting shit off is somehow a protection from everything that makes them peepee their little pants, despite all logic?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    No it is not spell spells. The spell comparison is because they treat laws like spells. And they believe in occult (hidden) laws that can be used by those who know them.

There's some justification to this. Laws are convoluted and trials require specialists who have put years into learning the system. Sovereign citizens are people who have been taken for a ride by quacks and given a false education of the system. Similar to desperate parents using alternative medicine on their kids. They've been misinformed and become both victims and perpetrators.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Trees.

Hills.

Like, seriously, going from like Ontario or Quebec out to the prairies, the minute you hit the flat plains for the first time you suddenly realise that your whole life there's always been a hill at some point in the distance, blocking your view, but you've never really thought about it.

If the Earth had been flat you should still have been able to see across, say, the Atlantic. No hills on the ocean.

They're called waves.

/checkmate

Also, there actually are hills in the ocean.
    Not large or steep ones, but the sea level is not, well, level, some parts are higher than others forming hills and valleys within the ocean.

Can you source this? I don't think it's true.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36255957
    The EU's Sentinel-3a satellite has given a sneak peek at what will be one of its most fundamental products - a map of sea surface height anomalies.
    Launched in February, the spacecraft carries an altimeter to sense the oceans' "hills" and "valleys".
    It is basic information that is needed to track currents and eddies, inform ocean forecasts and track variability in climate-driven sea-level rise.
    This first Sentinel-3a global map contains just one month's data.
    The acquisition was made between 3 March and 2 April 2016.
    Red shows (positive) areas where the sea surface is higher than the reference sea level, and blue (negative) areas reveal where it is lower.
    Positive anomalies are normally associated with warmer waters and a deeper thermocline, with negative anomalies associated with cooler waters and a shallower thermocline.
    The thermocline is the transition layer between warmer mixed water at the ocean's surface and cooler deep water below.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    That is fucking cool! Any idea what the variation is in feet? One reason I doubted it was that the building of the Panama canal included extensive surveys of sea level height, because people at the time believed that the Pacific was several feet higher than the Atlantic and would cause serious problems for a canal. The survey effort showed that both were the same height...

spool32 on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    There’s a graph in the link that shows the variations, and it appears that the variations go from about -.3m to +.5m, so -1 to +1.5 in feet

It also doesn’t really have data near the poles, presumably because of the ice.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    spool32 wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Trees.

Hills.

Like, seriously, going from like Ontario or Quebec out to the prairies, the minute you hit the flat plains for the first time you suddenly realise that your whole life there's always been a hill at some point in the distance, blocking your view, but you've never really thought about it.

If the Earth had been flat you should still have been able to see across, say, the Atlantic. No hills on the ocean.

They're called waves.

/checkmate

Also, there actually are hills in the ocean.
    Not large or steep ones, but the sea level is not, well, level, some parts are higher than others forming hills and valleys within the ocean.

Can you source this? I don't think it's true.

You know, even while this is a conspiracy thread, that second part was kinda unnecessary.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Are we talking spell spells? As in, do they believe they are chanting a literal litany of magic?

Not literal, but just like Harry Potter says winguardiam levioso and make stuff fly, if you know the right legal words to say, it makes things happen like all charges being dismissed, or by invoking 'this vehicle is not used for commercial purposes' you don't need a driver's license or plates.

• Options

Or is it a euphemism for thinking that just spouting shit off is somehow a protection from everything that makes them peepee their little pants, despite all logic?

In, say, Kabbalah, there is a belief that if you invoke certain signs, phrases, and passages from Jewish sripture in the correct way, you can invoke supernatural events in your favor. Many religions have similar systems, even Christianity - Enochian magic, Rosicrucianism, the Bible Code, all use a special means of invoking particular signs and passages of scripture to accomplish some supernatural act.

SovCit theory works the same way, using a special way of invoking legal passages and terminology to accomplish the superlegal rather than the supernatural. But just like the systems above, it claims that special, secret knowledge of a large mass of arbitrary text can let you protect yourself, harm others, or access great rewards or greater mysteries.

• Options
    That’s weird.

Like, magic is cool because it’s magical. But I’d be hard pressed to say that chanting US laws becomes the same as some type of religious prayer for power or metaphysical enchantment.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.