As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So he’s saying anyone who’s been vaccinated won’t get into heaven?

Citation required.

I mean, you have people stating that wearing a mask is akin to throwing away "God's wonderful breathing system" which is astounding even if it that phrase was uttered in Florida, so the mental gymnastics whenever heaven or God comes into the subject are really...hmm.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I honestly don't mean this to make light of anyone with this affliction and I'm no medical expert but I have actually wondered for years now if Kanye might actually have schizophrenia. Like I'm not trying to be insulting, but in my layman's understanding of some of the ways schizophrenia can manifest, I've really contemplated it. His latest commentary just brought those thoughts back to the front for me.

Being an annoying asshole isn't a mental illness. And while certain mental illness might make conspiracy thinking more likely or easier it's not required.

Hell he could just be spouting that as part of the grift.

Let me put it this way...I googled this exact phrase: "kanye a case for schizophrenia" and I found this:

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/kanye-west-mental-illness-lecture/ (A College Professor Is Using Kanye West as a Case Study for ...)

I didn't even know that existed but I'm not surprised that other people have made that case or have pondered that too. That's from 2017.

Maybe part of the grift but I actually had a family member with schizophrenia and some of the stuff Kanye comes out with is...it just feels similar.

Drez on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Conspiracy theories tend to align with mental illness to the point where people start wondering if a belief in a conspiracy theory causes mental illness. How else can someone who otherwise seems normal get into conspiracy theories and then spiral into mental health problems? But it's just that conspiracy theories are unhealthy and enable preexisting mental health issues. Eg, if you're paranoid or have tendencies towards paranoia, your paranoia will probably not be helped by learning about secret government chips that are implanted into your body by the illumanati. Conspiracy theories tend to take a firmer hold on someone already predisposed to believe in them (duh). Quite a few people believe the moon landings were likely faked, but I'd describe them as "shallow conspiracy theorists", they don't tend to go down the conspiracy hole. Often it takes more than just exposure to a theory for a person to go deep down the hole. They might have preexisting mental issues or have experienced a disruption in their life (loss of someone important, loss of job etc) that leaves them vulnerable to wacky beliefs. Kind of like how cults get a lot of recruits, if you can recruit someone at the right time or in the right mindset, you'll have them.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I almost feel like conspiracy theories are like a contagious mental illness. Like a computer virus for the human brain.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I honestly don't mean this to make light of anyone with this affliction and I'm no medical expert but I have actually wondered for years now if Kanye might actually have schizophrenia. Like I'm not trying to be insulting, but in my layman's understanding of some of the ways schizophrenia can manifest, I've really contemplated it. His latest commentary just brought those thoughts back to the front for me.

Being an annoying asshole isn't a mental illness. And while certain mental illness might make conspiracy thinking more likely or easier it's not required.

Hell he could just be spouting that as part of the grift.

Let me put it this way...I googled this exact phrase: "kanye a case for schizophrenia" and I found this:

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/kanye-west-mental-illness-lecture/ (A College Professor Is Using Kanye West as a Case Study for ...)

I didn't even know that existed but I'm not surprised that other people have made that case or have pondered that too. That's from 2017.

Maybe part of the grift but I actually had a family member with schizophrenia and some of the stuff Kanye comes out with is...it just feels similar.

The human brain is wired to find connections and meaning.

Sometimes (Maybe a lot of the time) when there's nothing there.

Like when people take psychology classes for the first time and say "Oh this is me!" Everytime they see a new disorder/mental state.

Maybe... Kanye is just an idiot.

• Options
    I think Kanye may very well suffer from sycophant syndrome, too, or something like it. Just like George Lucas didn't have anyone telling him "NO GEORGE NO DEAR GOD NOOOO" during the production of Star Wars 1-3 and the Special Editions of 4-6, maybe Kanye just doesn't have anyone in his personal trust circle that is willing to call him on his shit.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Well, Kanye is right that there is a secret plot to put chips in people. Just not via vaccines.
    85nn4eskaenx.jpg

The Frito-Lay corporation has a lot to answer for.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Who exactly is the vice president that is going to do this?

Kamala Harris, Stacey Abrams, Susan Rice, Tammy Duckworth, these aren’t exactly radical leftist politicians, unless your definition of “radical leftist” means non-white.

You know it does.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kanye is for real diagnosed with bipolar. I certainly agree with pushing back against the idea that being an asshole = mental illness, but suddenly announcing you're running for President and only following through by giving 4 hour interviews where you ramble about nonsense certainly looks like a manic episode...

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah actually bipolar would make more sense to me. Most people don't realize how manic episodes can manifests. It is a bizarre disorder, like all of them really.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone make another one of these.

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.