Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Do flat earthers also believe in a geocentric universe?

Many do. A good number don't even believe in a universe, really. Its just a complex, shifting dome directly over the flat earth, the end.

Ah yes, the Capsule Toy theory of cosmology.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The celestial jpeg.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

Many do. A good number don't even believe in a universe, really. Its just a complex, shifting dome directly over the flat earth, the end.

I always feel strangely claustrophobic when reading about that stuff. It's such an unpleasant view of the cosmos.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    It makes me feel pity. It’s such an unimaginative and selfish view of the universe, to limit the possibilities just to feel like you’re important instead actually doing something to make yourself important.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I always feel strangely claustrophobic when reading about that stuff. It's such an unpleasant view of the cosmos.

.......but what is outside the dome then? The spiritual plane I guess.....hmm.

Warp that view point enough and it almost starts to take on the blurry image of reality again.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    What outside?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Warp that view point enough and it almost starts to take on the blurry image of reality again.

Traditionally, water is outside the dome.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Tangentially related: I'm actually working my way through 1,001 Nights right now, the huge compilation of folktales, added to over the course of hundreds of years, which as a pattern kind of cycles through different themes and repeats them in slightly different takes. About halfway through, the stories take a turn for adventures at the ends of the earth, these stories being written when people thought that, even if the Earth was a sphere, only part of it was habitable by man, and that region was bordered by Mount Qaf. Several of these stories take their main characters past Mount Qaf, though, where shit gets fucking weird, like backstage at a theatrical production, or the behind-the-scenes parts of Portal. Vast deserts untouched by bird or beast, the occasional enormous mountain or island made of chrysolite or glass, seen to by angels hundreds of feet tall, praying and reciting incantations to make sure clouds keep moving and the sun rises and sets.

Essentially, even well over a thousand years ago, people still thought about "well if the world has an end, what's past that?" and the fiction around that question gets crazy and awesome.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

That's

Do they know what water pressure is?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

That's

A myth peddled to the masses by Big Hydraulics, no doubt.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

That's

But what if that water is really air, and what if there actually was none of it beyond the dome, and what if the dome was really just a metaphor for how far out our atmosphere extends?

Then they'd be somewhat kinda correct!

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    While on a drive catching Pokemon, my partner and I came across a public swimming pool which was apparently built by the local Freemasons. So this is definitely where they're keeping the chemicals that make chemtrails, right?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    While on a drive catching Pokemon, my partner and I came across a public swimming pool which was apparently built by the local Freemasons. So this is definitely where they're keeping the chemicals that make chemtrails, right?

That pool definitely opens up to a lair

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh this thread!

That hilarious video with the blacksmith on the 9/11 jet fuel and steel conspiracy made other conspiracy debunking videos pop up on my YouTube feed.

This vsauce video popped up on flat earth that I found entertaining:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs

I like how he actually explains where flat earthers came from and how relatively modern it is.

Vsauce is an edutainment show that I enjoy watching.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My buddy Vern, drummer in the first band I was ever in, was ALL IN on the Freemasons stuff. He believed they worshipped a crab-headed god named Jabulon and told me about it and I mentioned Jabulon as the cause of an amp failing (it was the tube) and Vern went OMG YOU KNOW ABOUT JABULON and I was like "Vern you told me about Jabulon." And he was so disappointed that I wasn't, like, just possessed of that knowledge outside his influence.

He's the dude who told me that the Jesuits were also the secret power behind the Illuminati but he never explained that one

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    My buddy Vern, drummer in the first band I was ever in, was ALL IN on the Freemasons stuff. He believed they worshipped a crab-headed god named Jabulon and told me about it and I mentioned Jabulon as the cause of an amp failing (it was the tube) and Vern went OMG YOU KNOW ABOUT JABULON and I was like "Vern you told me about Jabulon." And he was so disappointed that I wasn't, like, just possessed of that knowledge outside his influence.

He's the dude who told me that the Jesuits were also the secret power behind the Illuminati but he never explained that one

Well, we all know that the jews are behind the illuminati, and Jesus was a jew, so…

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    ... the drummer in my other band is kind of a weird guy too. Are all those jokes about drummers being weird not actually jokes?

WHAT IS BIG DRUM HIDING FROM US

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    You've got it the wrong way around. The vibrations of the bass drum effectively disrupt any thought control rays on pretty much any frequency. We drummers are fully awake and aware. It's like They Live, just with a better sense of rhythm.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain what this guy on twitter might be ranting about? It feels very time-cube-ish and for some reason can't help but be intrigued. :rotate:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    A lot of drummers seem to be brainiacs, too.

Water-memory is a homeopathy-thing. This is about climate, though.

PLA on
  • Options
    I don’t know about most of it, but “water memory” is some bullshit hemeopathic snake oil salespeople use to justify why some of the bullshit remedies they sell contain not a single molecule of whatever herb or substance is supposed to be the active ingredient in their treatment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8HslUzw35mc

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2018
    No, it's not an active ingredient, in the normal sense. It's a target for the conceptual power of dilution, which weakens the equivalent active ingredient of the ailment just like driving nails through a straw-effigy would.

It was based on an idea that it can be a normal active ingredient that counteracts itself as it is, because a healthy person is the opposite of a sick person, so everything has the opposite effect when you're sick or whatever, but the part where you eliminate the ingredient has become so prominent that it doesn't super matter anymore.
    Which is for the best, because without the second element, "hair of the dog" doctrine is straight up poison. Dilutions became more and more extreme over time, as practitioners came to love the magic of dilution more than the magic of mirrored effects, and I have to imagine that's because nothing is actually more effective than something.

PLA on
  • Options
    mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

That pool definitely opens up to a lair

Don't be ridiculous, we keep the materials for chemtrails under the wind farms we own. It's much easier to distribute from there, we just turn them into giant fan mode and disperse as needed.

I will not swear that there's NOT a lair under the pool, it makes for such a convenient spot when meeting with the reptile overlords, the water keeps their scales from drying out.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    James Randi had a great method for talking about homeopathy. He would open up and ingest an entire bottle or package of homeopathic sleeping pills at the start of a lecture (without telling anyone what he was doing) and then at the end of the lecture would bring up the fact that he took them at the start of the lecture. A good practical demonstration of how effective they are.

The neat thing is that you can easily replicate this yourself.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    James Randi had a great method for talking about homeopathy. He would open up and ingest an entire bottle or package of homeopathic sleeping pills at the start of a lecture (without telling anyone what he was doing) and then at the end of the lecture would bring up the fact that he took them at the start of the lecture. A good practical demonstration of how effective they are.

James Randi did a documentary about his career which is floating around YouTube. I highly recommend it, the man is amazing.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Not necessarily a good idea. Some medicines use homeopathic to mean herbal and do have ingredients that might make you sick.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Norgoth wrote: »

James Randi did a documentary about his career which is floating around YouTube. I highly recommend it, the man is amazing.

I watched that, it is really good indeed.

Edit I watched it on Netflix, not sure if it is the same thing.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

Not necessarily a good idea. Some medicines use homeopathic to mean herbal and do have ingredients that might make you sick.

Ah yes, true. Since they aren't regulated by the FDA and all.

Check the ingredients label first, make sure it's actually homeopathic.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what this guy on twitter might be ranting about? It feels very time-cube-ish and for some reason can't help but be intrigued. :rotate:

https:/twitter.com/Pedrobara10/status/1027080417181097986
    https:/twitter.com/Pedrobara10/status/1027075493647081472

Whatever it was, they appear to have deleted everything on their account except two posts from March.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

Whatever it was, they appear to have deleted everything on their account except two posts from March.

They must have rotated their water stone incorrectly.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I am decidedly of two minds about Randi. On one hand, he's done a lot to combat woo. On the other hand, he's had a checkered history of turning a blind eye to sexual harassment and assault in the skeptic community, and the events he runs in particular. This is what he said in regard to Michael Shermer, a leader in the "freethought" movement who was revealed to be a sexual predator:
    “Shermer has been a bad boy on occasion — I do know that,” Randi told me. “I have told him that if I get many more complaints from people I have reason to believe, that I am going to have to limit his attendance at the conference.

“His reply,” Randi continued, “is he had a bit too much to drink and he doesn’t remember. I don’t know — I’ve never been drunk in my life. It’s an unfortunate thing … I haven’t seen him doing that. But I get the word from people in the organization that he has to be under better control. If he had gotten violent, I’d have him out of there immediately. I’ve just heard that he misbehaved himself with the women, which I guess is what men do when they are drunk.”

That's not an acceptable position at all.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

No, they deleted everything on his account because he was revealing too much!

• Options
    Oh geez, I didn't know that about Michael Shermer. :bigfrown:

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    My favorite flat Earth theory was that the Earth is surrounded by a giant ice sheet, basically a little puddle in the ice. But, if you go far enough, you will find other puddles, other Earth's.

It's crazy as hell, but would make for a really cool fantasy universe.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Ah yes, true. Since they aren't regulated by the FDA and all.

Check the ingredients label first, make sure it's actually homeopathic.

You can't trust that either because they often fuck up the dilution. Most famously in a baby remedy that had nightshade in it.

Which. how do you screw that up.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Everytime I see somebody refer to homeopathy all I can think about is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg2CQqMaU1I

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My favorite flat Earth theory was that the Earth is surrounded by a giant ice sheet, basically a little puddle in the ice. But, if you go far enough, you will find other puddles, other Earth's.

The Spine of the World eh

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

I mean, obviously taking the whole bottle isn't going to work, the point is you're supposed to be taking less of the active ingredient, not more. Duh.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    No, it's not an active ingredient, in the normal sense. It's a target for the conceptual power of dilution, which weakens the equivalent active ingredient of the ailment just like driving nails through a straw-effigy would.

It was based on an idea that it can be a normal active ingredient that counteracts itself as it is, because a healthy person is the opposite of a sick person, so everything has the opposite effect when you're sick or whatever, but the part where you eliminate the ingredient has become so prominent that it doesn't super matter anymore.
    Which is for the best, because without the second element, "hair of the dog" doctrine is straight up poison. Dilutions became more and more extreme over time, as practitioners came to love the magic of dilution more than the magic of mirrored effects, and I have to imagine that's because nothing is actually more effective than something.

I can't discern which, if any, of this is satirical bs or genuine principles of homeopathy.

Alternative sentence:
    I can't discern which, if any, of this was pulled from your ass or someone else's.

• Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular

There's another extension of this where the giant ice sheet is an enormous ball, pock-marked with melted discs, but since the ball is so big each of those discs is, for all intents, flat. The Great Ice Ball Theory, I think. It's my favorite because they're so so close to getting back to "round planet" but missed the mark by just enough.

This discussion has been closed.