Options

You play video games on a [Nintendo], right?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So how long before we just call Starlink the new Starfox game?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Basically.

5 more minutes. Hm.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So how long before we just call Starlink the new Starfox game?

Two months ago

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Warframe on switch is pretttty smart

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh so Starlink is a Star Fox game?

Given how lukewarm the reception was at the idea of yet another "physical DLC" game, I'm not surprised if they felt they have to ramp up marketing on the StarFox aspects to get it to sell.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    If World of Final Fantasy Maxima lets me play as Rikku, I will buy another copy of that game despite the fact that I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off my PS4 copy

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Uh I hope the camera is just for the trailer because that's really close in FF12

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2018
    Holy shit!

FF7/8/10 and 12 on Switch!

Very heavy Square at the end...another FF character for smash?

Legacy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh look Square is making their money by porting old games still instead of developing new ones without blowing their bank on it.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    For a second I thought they were gonna put out a Final Fantasy cutscene viewer.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Huh, if I had enough time to actually play all the games I want, that seems like it would be good way to play Final Fantasy 9.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Oh god

ITS HAPPENING

• Options
    Isabelle in Smash!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    This is really gonna bum some people out if this is just a Smash tease.
    and it is I guess.
    or IS it?
    It's both

akajaybay on
  • Options
    You have got to be fucking kidding me

• Options
    Making this look like an announcement of a new Animal Crossing is just mean.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Oh my God

They actually did it

The maniacs put Isabelle in Smash

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Here's the AC reveal.

Or Nook in Smash...

• Options
    Animal Crossing Switch is going to be about helping Tom Nook deal with depression

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    OH GOD YES

THAT’S ALL I NEEDED

SWITCH IS OFFICIALLY ON THE MENU

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Me just now.

FUCK YES ANIMAL CROSSING GAME!!!!!

Wait.

FUCKING SMASH?!?! YOU MOTHER FUCKINERS NINTENDO

wait.

FUCK YES ANIMAL CROSSING GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Holy shit!

FF7/8/9/10 on Switch!

no they very carefully did not mention 8

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nintendo has gotten extremely good at trolling their audience

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My mind has been sufficiently changed, I'm gonna be getting a Switch during the holiday season this year.

• Options
    Finally putting Switch on the Christmas list

Smash and MK8 Deluxe are icing on the cake

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Town looked neat, yoshi looks good, new luigi's mansion is neat, twewy looks neat, isabelle in smash is rad

the online service still seems extremely like bullshit, putting free services behind a paywall just, really makes it feel like a blatant cash grab

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh look Square is making their money by porting old games still instead of developing new ones without blowing their bank on it.

DQ11 just came out...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    Holy shit!

FF7/8/9/10 on Switch!

no they very carefully did not mention 8

Whoops. FF7/9/10/10-2 and 12. Got thrown off thinking it was some weird cutscene mode in another game like peek and missed which titles exactly.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    That AC block was equal parts cruel and extremely cute

...God the Switch has too many thing i want on it now, i'm not used to this

• Options
    It's time to replace "Netflix and chill" with "camp and smash."

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The only problem with the Final Fantasy ports is that Nintendo and Square-Enix are collectively about the worst at pricing ports of old games, so they're gonna be ridiculously overpriced. That said, I have weird controller issues with FF9 on PC so I'm gonna get it anyway. I've been itching to revisit it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's time to replace "Netflix and chill" with "camp and smash."

big fan of the ol' camp 'n smash

I like my sex to be in-tents

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    the catch in this specific instance is that there's two conflicting game design desires here

one is that players should have as much agency to define their interaction with the control scheme as possible in order to accommodate both disabilities but also learned trends (the simplest example in the world being the swapping of what Confirm is between many Japanese and western games, a minor inconvenience that you occasionally encounter on a game that was not localized quite as heavily as normal)

the other is that developers should have the freedom to include frustration and failure as part of their game design. you often see players wishing to smooth out mechanics or remove them entirely in their suggestions to improve a game, but often see game designers push back to say yes it is a little frustrating, but including that makes the success more fun and makes the experience less flat.

and neither viewpoint is really wrong? so we all just sort of have to sit around and accept that no one's wrong in the argument and it's just kind of a dice roll to see which of the two sides an individual developer feels is more important to lean towards.

I've brought this desire up before with regard to Katamari and have usually been met with responses only slightly below the level of Dark Souls players whenever the subject of an "easy" mode is brought up. Like, I'm not trying to take away your way of playing, I'm not asking for a fundamental redesign of the game, all I want is a more intuitive control scheme option for me to enjoy the game more(or at all); You will literally not be impacted at all.

That being said the Switch would be a perfect opportunity to include tilt controls - I'd give it a try then if it did. But since it looks to be remaster I doubt they'll do anything substantive with it beyond a resolution increase.

I think it's a complicated issue. I don't really agree with the "difficulty purity" angle that a lot of players put forth, but I do think there is an ever present tug-of-war between a player having the option to play a game any way they want and the developer setting the boundaries they want to create a specific experience for the player.

Games are all about rules and boundaries. You can say that's fundmentally what most games are - intersecting rules coupled with an objective to produce some kind of challenge. In Dandara, you can only move around diagonally. It can be frustrating as shit sometimes, but if there was a "move anywhere" option, the game would be fundamentally different.

You have to take it case by case. I do think that Katamari Damacy is a fundamentally different game without tank controls. Tank controls are a part of the challenge - it's a physics-based game and part of the challenge comes from what happens to your...uh...star-thing the more you attach to it. Does that mean providing directionally-responsive controls would make it fundamentally worse (or better)? No. But I think it potentially makes it a different game.

I tend to favor the developer's vision over providing options to the player that may contradict that vision. That said, I'm also sympathetic to the accessibility angle of the discussion as well which adds another layer of complexity to the discussion. I don't think accessibility (the way we typically use that phrase) is really relevant, though, when it comes to player preference over tank vs. rotational controls if the tank controls actually serve some thematic purpose.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Did you guys think they were gonna stop making Animal Crossing games?

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    That Isabelle troll had me fucking cackling. It’s good they followed it up with an announcement cause I feel there would have been blood in the streets

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Did you guys think they were gonna stop making Animal Crossing games?
    There's been a lot of series moving to mobile platforms and not coming back. That Animal Crossing camping thing was a huge disappointment.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzuOw50zmbU

In the Splatoon video, I'm not entirely sure what 100x Battle is supposed to be. There's a bunch of crazy looking new specials and I don't know if they'd be tied to new weapons or whatever 100x Battle is. It doesn't seem to be a completely new mode, since it also says Turf War. Some kind of mode modifier, maybe?

EDIT: Oh, there are some details on the Splatoon tumblr. 10x and 100x Battle is something that happens during Splatfests and multiplies the points from winning.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    That Isabelle troll had me fucking cackling. It’s good they followed it up with an announcement cause I feel there would have been blood in the streets
    There will be when she starts kicking everyone's ass in Smash.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I do want to state for the record that even without the new game announcement that Isabelle in Smash unequivocally rules

This discussion has been closed.