As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The new TV shows star people who are actually in the movies, so there’s that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Nothing exciting about that all for me. The music is extra generic. Jackson looks great though.

That camera move as she flips up the train is neat, I thought.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's kind of like, why bother going out of the way to acknowledge things like the Battle of NY so heavily in Daredevil and the rest of the Netflix shows.

Things like Hammer Tech showing up in Luke Cage are nifty but hardly substantial enough to please fans of the MCU movies. That's always part of the fun of the solo movies, seeing what other characters from the wider universe pop up, however briefly.

Actually, little nods like that appease me just fine and let me go "we at least know they operate in the same universe." I don't need Luke Cage to show up in Avengers.

In the comics, stuff that happens in Avengers effects the New Warriors, but the New Warriors don't pop up during major things that pop up in Avengers. I'm ok with that. It would make sense that stuff that happens in the movies affect the shows but it doesn't mean that the Defenders would help fight Thanos. The tv versions of these characters would be paste in minutes.

I actually loved the use of Hammer Tech in Luke Cage. It would make sense that crooks/gun runners would want big guns like that to fight the bulletproof Hero of Harlem.

The closest the movies come to having it makes sense for some of the street level heroes showing up is maybe Spider-Man, but even he's above their grade by a lot. I would have liked to see the Shield team in the background of the helicarrier during Age of Ultron but that was right during the infighting in the company so I understand why that didn't happen. At least the show talked about it though.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think the specific problem the netflix shows have is that they want to acknowledge the events of the films because they're certainly relevant to the issues in the show (rise in super-vigilantism, difference in power levels between supers, etc) but they have to do it in such a way that the casual audience understands what's going on.

like saying 'the incident' would make sense to in-universe characters in the same way backhandedly saying '9/11' makes sense to us, but for the viewer who hasn't immersed themselves in the background of the films it might be sort of a non sequitur. So, the shows belabor the point a little bit.

I thought the line about the magic hammer from daredevil was a pretty good reference

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Nothing exciting about that all for me. The music is extra generic. Jackson looks great though.

I liked that, but the main thought going through my head that while sequence was
    can't she fly?

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I never understood why they went with the shorthand of "the incident." Fucking aliens came out of a portal in the sky. That shit isn't an "incident." How about, the invasion or something that at least describes what happened. We don't downplay other things that way with language, so it always came off terribly to me when they said it out loud.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Toothy wrote: »
    I never understood why they went with the shorthand of "the incident." Fucking aliens came out of a portal in the sky. That shit isn't an "incident." How about, the invasion or something that at least describes what happened. We don't downplay other things that way with language, so it always came off terribly to me when they said it out loud.

We don't do it with terms like "the incident", but we definitely use shorthand like "Ever since New York," just for instance.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

The story goes that during the making of the first Daredevil season, they did try to fully refer to what happened and call it what it was, a full on alien invasion. And it just did not work at all and drove the show to a grinding halt. So they gave it the bare minimum lip service they could with "The Incident" and then just never mentioned it again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Well I mean, in across the pond it's "The troubles", so yeah...

On the other hand over here in America we do like our superlatives so I guess you're right about that part.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Well I mean, in across the pond it's "The troubles", so yeah...

On the other hand over here in America we do like our superlatives so I guess you're right about that part.

Probably would've have called it something like 9/11 or just the year ("Ever since 2012") since that's about as armageddony a situation as one can imagine.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean 9/11 is literally just the date; it only makes any sense because we actually experienced the event and it became shorthand because it was so much-discussed. It makes perfect sense that there'd be a shorthand expression for 'that time an alien army drilled a hole through space to invade new york.'

like in the marvel universe their talking heads probably say 'the incident changed everything' so often that it became a meme and people chuckle any time someone says 'incident' in any other context

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I liked that, but the main thought going through my head that while sequence was
    can't she fly?

Exactly my thoughts. Shouldn't she be able to basically smoke her enemy while floating in the air the whole time?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I just watched Ant-man and the Wasp. I don't understand
    why Hank and Hope were ever wanted by the FBI?

Like, literally the excuse given was "Scott stole their technology so they are on the hook for it."

That's... not how the world works.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy shit.

They just led the super bowl with an Endgame teaser.
    They are going to deal with the fallout!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Like, literally the excuse given was "Scott stole their technology so they are on the hook for it."

It could very well be how the accords work. "Failure to properly secure advanced weapons" or such.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Holy shit.

Yeah -
    That was.. um... bleak

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Don't think about it any harder than you thought about Pym Particles or how they're using quantum entanglement.

It's a reason for a fun
    4-way chase

and some fun dialog.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    Holy shit.

Yeah -
    That was.. um... bleak

black, purple, and despair.

Not something I ever thought they'd actually tackle. And not a sign of Thanos!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It could very well be how the accords work. "Failure to properly secure advanced weapons" or such.

I guess. Seemed a bit contrived to me.

Didn't really detract from the movie! It was a fun romp which was what I wanted. Just seemed weird to me.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Super Bowl spot is up on youtube -

• Options

The Far From Home trailer seems all the weirder now.

It will be stupid if another Spider-Man ad comes today.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, a minute, that Endgame teaser
    Is rocket wearing his 2008 era GotG uniform?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wait, a minute, that Endgame teaser
    Is rocket wearing his 2008 era GotG uniform?
    I wouldn't put any stock in what CGI characters are wearing after the Infinity War trailers.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yo, some good stuff in that lil' trailer.
    Cap's face. Barely contained rage, so gooood.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Yo, some good stuff in that lil' trailer.
    Cap's face. Barely contained rage, so gooood.

Also Cap:
    Hell yeah he's got the shield back!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Rogers equipping his shield with shaky hands tells me more than anything else about the characterization in the movie.

Also, fucking Rocket doing the slow walk with the main Avengers cast!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I was going to avoid watching teasers, but a 30 second shot shouldn't be too bad, right?

So let's get the armchair analysis done early!
    Sooo..

it opens showing everyone confirmed dusted, or killed, in black and white with heavy emphasis on their reds. ... Though Rocket does slip in to the GotG Shot. 2-3 frames each, enough to roughly get what you are looking at.

It appears a shanty town of some kind has built up around the Statue of Liberty, made up of boats. Makes sense, as they would be self powered. There are lights in the Statue, and a couple on the mainland.

Citi Field looks covered in dust...

The next shot appears to be a kind of group therapy session, with the "now that they're gone" poster. Steve Rogers is attending, and looks pissed.

Stark and Nebula, working on ... something.

Rhodey, Banner, Rogers, and Natasha outside the upstate NY campus of Avengers, looking into the distance...

Rocket walking in on.. a very old looking wooden door. There are what appear to be crab traps in the background, and they are on a craggy shore.

Someone (I don't recognize who) practicing with a gun. I don't think it is Natasha - hair is too long. Maybe the younger Agent Carter?

Ant Man and Rhodey pulling down their masks, staring at something.

Mismatched-eyes Thor looking at something.

Someone in a flowing red cape, holding what I can only describe as an umbrella, looking out over mountains/that shoreline from before. The location reminds me of the White Ape tribe from Black Panther, but otherwise I can't place it.

Hawkeye staring into something red. Looks to be in the dark cave from Empire Strikes Back.

Steve rogers shakily tightening the belt on his shield. This is VERY notable, because it is using straps, not magnetic fanciness, implying an older model or maybe the half-built shield from Tony. His hand looks very dirty/bloody. It may not be Rogers, but the implication is pretty clear.

Walking through the Avengers campus. Steve (Shield), Tony (haircut), lady with the ponytail (maybe this is Natasha if time has passed), Rocket, I think it's Ant Man next, and then Rhodey in full armor (you can make out the red chest light and his shoulder cannon, albeit blurry).

Athenor on
  • Options

I was going to avoid watching teasers, but a 30 second shot shouldn't be too bad, right?

Sooo..

it opens showing everyone confirmed dusted, or killed, in black and white with heavy emphasis on their reds. ... Though Rocket does slip in to the GotG Shot. 2-3 frames each, enough to roughly get what you are looking at.

It appears a shanty town of some kind has built up around the Statue of Liberty, made up of boats. Makes sense, as they would be self powered. There are lights in the Statue, and a couple on the mainland.

The next shot appears to be a kind of group therapy session, with the "now that they're gone" poster. Steve Rogers is attending, and looks pissed.

Rhodey, Banner, Rogers, and Natasha outside the upstate NY campus of Avengers, looking into the distance...

Rocket walking in on.. a very old looking wooden door. There are what appear to be crab traps in the background, and they are on a craggy shore.

Someone (I don't recognize who) practicing with a gun. I don't think it is Natasha - hair is too long. Maybe the younger Agent Carter?

Someone in a flowing red cape, holding what I can only describe as an umbrella, looking out over mountains/that shoreline from before. The location reminds me of the White Ape tribe from Black Panther, but otherwise I can't place it.

Hawkeye staring into something red. Looks to be in the dark cave from Empire Strikes Back.

Steve rogers shakily tightening the belt on his shield. This is VERY notable, because it is using straps, not magnetic fanciness, implying an older model or maybe the half-built shield from Tony. His hand looks very dirty/bloody. It may not be Rogers, but the implication is pretty clear.

Walking through the Avengers campus. Steve (Shield), Tony (haircut), lady with the ponytail (maybe this is Natasha if time has passed), Rocket, I think it's Ant Man next, and then Rhodey in full armor (you can make out the red chest light and his shoulder cannon, albeit blurry).

The Bolded:
    Pretty sure that's Thor carrying his new Ax/Titan killer.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Sooo..

The Bolded:
    And it almost looks like Thor went rogue and landed on Thanos's farmland planet.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That Avengers Tease... I'm so excited for that movie. Infinity War was an event for theaters, End Game will be the same.

Captain Marvel looks great too . . . BUT DAT END GAME THOUGH.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Heir wrote: »

Sooo..

The Bolded:

Also, walking on the Avengers campus
    I think that's Thor and not Tony.

CowShark on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    What CowShark said.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I with it was harder/better/faster/stronger, just so they could work this into the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg

No I don't care if that song came out in 2001 and thus wouldn't technically fit in a 90's era film. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's the Air Force motto.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I haven't seen really anything about Captain Marvel and I'm wondering if I should even bother seeing it at this point. I know it's the next big thing but I may have finally found out that I'm kinda over the whole thing. I thought Black Panther was boring. Infinity War was fun, but ultimately I never saw it again after watching it and have no interest in going back.

Thinking on it: Ant Man and the Wasp was fun. Thor Ragnarok and was fun. But those were kinda off-shoots of the main line story so maybe Captain Marvel will be the same.

Conversely Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse was a GREAT movie and I will be buying that movie in UHD the moment I can. And before that I didn't really like Spider-Man all that much. So maybe I should just give it a shot.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I don't see why you wouldn't give it a shot at this point.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Late to the show here but I liked that teaser from the game on Sunday. I'll be happy if they lean on that out for revenge angle in End Game. High odds we get a call back to "if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we’ll avenge it."

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There does feel like there's something lackluster with the Captain Marvel trailers, but I wonder if it's because people are expecting Black Panther for women when this looks like a pretty typical MCU film.

Like, part of me feels like this movie should have come out five years ago when it would have made a bigger splash.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    My response to Captain Marvel has so far been the opposite of how I usually feel, any of the character stuff they've shown has seemed dull, but the CG action scenes look cool.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.