As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Michael Cohen] Cohen cooperating conditionally, could connect POTUS

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    One of the best stories I’ve read all year was how Alan Dershowitz has essentially alienated himself from the elite levels of academic society he spent the rest of his life around.

No one can figure out why this guy suddenly has developed such an obnoxious Trump boner, but they’re sure as hell not going to invite him back to the Hamptons anytime soon.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Monsieur T wrote: »
    I am so greatful that the "what about" defense does not yet hold up in a court of law.
    lgdkuCE.jpg

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Cohen's lawyer was on maddow.

Would not use the word cooperation- instead stated "Michael wanted to tell the truth about Donald."

Wouldnt confirm they spoke with special council- instead said "Michael is willing to talk about collusion, hacking and other acts not currently in the news."

Jeeze what a day

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    One of the best stories I’ve read all year was how Alan Dershowitz has essentially alienated himself from the elite levels of academic society he spent the rest of his life around.

No one can figure out why this guy suddenly has developed such an obnoxious Trump boner, but they’re sure as hell not going to invite him back to the Hamptons anytime soon.

Dershowitz has been a fox news staple for a while, he was definitely doing that schtick in the obama years.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

As with most things Trump, I assume shady money is involved.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    If you wonder how the right wing news media is justifying this, Fox News has you covered:

Let he who has not committed campaign finance violations cast the first stone.

That didn't happen.

And if it did, it wasn't that bad.

And if it was, that's not a big deal. <-- This is where we are now.

And if it is, that's not my fault.

And if it was, I didn't mean it.

And if I did...

You deserved it.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You forgot "And since you deserved it I'm awesome for doing it"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The first time I had heard about Dershowitz, a professor gave a talk essentially explaining he had dared suggest the 2 state solution was a good idea, so Alan did everything he could to make sure he didn't get tenure.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Dershowitz chat isn't on topic

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Cantido wrote: »
    "Everybody's doing it." How elementary school.

Spoiled for H-scroll
    DASPieZWAAI3QE7.jpg

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The more things change...

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    bloody Stupid Watergate.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Spoiled for H-scroll
    DASPieZWAAI3QE7.jpg

I can almost guarantee that that column was made as a satire against Republicans during the end of Nixon's presidency.

• Options
    Buchwald was a humorist, yes

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tomorrow would be a good day to get a newspaper or two huh

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Giuliani weighs in! And he lies through his teeth. Reuters report

Why parrot a lie jesus Reuters

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    CNN host:
    Lanny Davis says on @CNNTonight that his client Michael Cohen now considers Trump to be "a danger to our country"
    He must have really given up on a possible pardon.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    This country is literally stuffed with horrible laws which remove rights randomly and capriciously from people who are accused of crimes. Surely we are at the point now where some statute somewhere means that we can arrest Trump. Someone must have written a state law saying, "Even the President himself can be locked up!" and at some point some random supreme court must have approved it. He can be the President from jail.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    This country is literally stuffed with horrible laws which remove rights randomly and capriciously from people who are accused of crimes. Surely we are at the point now where some statute somewhere means that we can arrest Trump. Someone must have written a state law saying, "Even the President himself can be locked up!" and at some point some random supreme court must have approved it. He can be the President from jail.

What do you think we are, a modern democracy like South Korea?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

We even have a part of the constitution set up to handle cases where a president is unable to carry out his duties.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Cog wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    If you wonder how the right wing news media is justifying this, Fox News has you covered:

Let he who has not committed campaign finance violations cast the first stone.

Can you believe these fucking people? Trying to elevate felonies into like, felonies! The fucking nerve!

pt7h9zsmizsn.png

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Spoiled for H-scroll
    DASPieZWAAI3QE7.jpg

My interest is piqued. What about Chappaquiddick?

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I had to pull my car over to share this: Cohen's lawyer was just on NPR and said that he's been instructed by Cohen to flatly "refuse any pardon offered by Trump," and used a lot of inflammatory language to describe Trump as a dangerous and corrupting influence. The lawyer also said that Trump is "literally the only one" who still refuses to acknowledge that the Russians interfered in the election to help his campaign.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sounds like that ship sailed, dropped a propeller out at sea, came back for repairs, set sail and reached its destination.

Either that or it's "please don't throw me in that pillow factory where the pillows are stuffed with money".

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh HOLY SHIT

Bloomberg reporter quoting Michael Cohen lawyer Lanny Davis

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Man I want to say “it’s indicting time” with this, but Cohen may not be a reliable witness or someone you feel good about testifying in front of a jury...

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Man I want to say “it’s indicting time” with this, but Cohen may not be a reliable witness or someone you feel good about testifying in front of a jury...

Hopefully he has tapes or receipts to back up his words. His own honesty would be less essential if there was a paper/audio trail.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Hopefully he has tapes or receipts to back up his words. His own honesty would be less essential if there was a paper/audio trail.

We've seen he keeps recordings of people, along with receipts and agreements people tell him to rip up and throw away, so if anyone has a paper trail it's this guy.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I saw that statement earlier, but it was only shared on the NYPost and Seth Abramson on Twitter, so I didn't want to let myself believe.

But oh boy oh boy.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

My take is that if his lawyer is jabbering to the news about his value, he's not worth much.

If Cohen had groundbreaking stuff on trump, everyone would be shutting up and talking to Mueller

• Options
    Yeah, gonna hold fast until the cards are on the table.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2018
    This morning, on Morning Joe, Cohen's lawyer announced their gofundme so that Cohen has the money he needs to speak the truth.

My confidence in him... what little there was... is fading.

I am not linking or giving the url because we aren't allowed to link kickstarters here on account of how often they fail to deliver.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Now keep in mind this doesn't mean that raiding Cohen's office was a bust; the government could have a shitload of evidence that cohen was dumb enough to hold on to, and all of this posturing by him is an attempt to avoid the worst of the punishments coming his way.

But nobody should consider him a reliable witness, or that "Helsinki was the turning point when Cohen realized Trump was a dangerous man who shouldn't be in the position of power he is in" - actual thing his lawyer said on TV this morning.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Okay yeah, the gofundme is a big red flag. Holding no truck in this until he produces solid evidence.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, this feels like the prosecutors got everything that Cohen could provide from raiding his office so he is now making as much noise as possible, hoping they throw him a better deal.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah, this feels like the prosecutors got everything that Cohen could provide from raiding his office so he is now making as much noise as possible, hoping they throw him a better deal.

Which would actually be like the best scenario.

If there's paper that backs everything he's selling.... well that's a mighty interesting fact.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Which would actually be like the best scenario.

If there's paper that backs everything he's selling.... well that's a mighty interesting fact.

Right, this is my hope.

Cohen realized beyond any shadow of a doubt that he is turbofucked, gets a good (and expensive) lawyer and figures the best thing he can do is start getting on the side of everything that they already have evidence for while spinning up some bullshit story about his heroic change of heart.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lanny Davis is one of the worst people in the Democratic Party, willing to do literally anything to make a buck. He's not quite "I wouldn't trust him if he told me the sky is blue," but he's close. So I would interpret everything he says as a ploy to get booked more often on cable news. He's a stupider, less charismatic Avenatti. At best.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Cohen's first problem is that he's even less trustworthy than Rick Gates, so there's almost no value in him as a cooperating witness at trial. His second problem is by making tapes and paper copies of everything to use for his own blackmail/protection, he eliminated his value as an eyewitness -- why call on him to testify when the tapes are infinitely more trustworthy?

I'm of the opinion that Cohen is well and truly screwed, and Lanny Davis is out on a media blitz because he knows his client has got nothing of real value to offer Mueller, but they hope Mueller might not know that.

This discussion has been closed.