As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of
    But with series centred on Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) and Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh) coming, in addition to animated spin-off Lower Decks and Short Trek mini-episodes, Kurtzman said on Variety's TV Take podcast that the franchise has learnt from its previous mistakes.
    this interview.
    "What we're planning on is, I want to make sure that each show is a different and unique proposition," he said.

"I think that Deep Space Nine and Voyager got into a tricky spot where people were starting to feel like, 'I can't tell the difference between the shows', even though they were very different.

"Our job is to make sure that every time you get a new Star Trek show, it feels like a very different prospect from any other Trek show that exists.
    I don't know what sort of people would go around thinking that DS9 and Voyager were very similar shows, but I wouldn't want to alter what I'm doing based on their opinion. Hopefully this is just general PR blather on his part. Either that or Yeoh's show is getting the grimdark.

Kurtzman is a hack. They need to fire him and bring back Ron Moore or Ira Behr.
    He is best known for co-writing the scripts to Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with his writing and producing partner Roberto Orci, and directing and co-writing The Mummy.

Goddamn, wikipedia throwing some fucking shade right there.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    So the first episode of DS9 did make me cry.

jennifer’s acting right

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I always remember Robert Picardo as the hitler painting collector from justified.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    I always remember Robert Picardo as the hitler painting collector from justified.

I remember him as the guy who gets sexed up by the female Gremlin in Gremlins 2.

Also the Cowboy from Innerspace.

And Richard Woolsey from Stargate.

....Robert Picardo had been in a LOT of stuff, y'all

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

I love the reveal of his collection to Raylan.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I'll always remember him in his single Golden Girls appearance in a wonderfully clever scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAz0PxiUaM

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

I'll always remember him in his single Golden Girls appearance in a wonderfully clever scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAz0PxiUaM

His medical career goes back a long ways I see.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    This seems like a good time to promote this short film, which I highly recommend to all fans of Robert Picardo and speculative fiction

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I don't like Kira's hair this season.

Putting Gul Dukat and Kira in a runabout for a trip is amazing tho.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Oh my god Gul Dukat telling Kira that the occupation made Bajor stronger lolll this troll

Later they have a ton of fun in a cave

This episode rules

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Dukat gets a lot of really good episodes and appearances from here on. Well...

... until the dark times.

Viskod on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Dukakis gets a lot of really good episodes and appearances from here on. Well...

... until the dark times.

The tank pictures? Yeah, that was a pretty unfair downfall if you ask me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Oh my god Gul Dukat telling Kira that the occupation made Bajor stronger lolll this troll

Later they have a ton of fun in a cave

This episode rules

And therein lies one of the problems with Dukat.

...He's not wrong.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    goddamn autocorrect.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I remember him as the guy who gets sexed up by the female Gremlin in Gremlins 2.

Also the Cowboy from Innerspace.

And Richard Woolsey from Stargate.

....Robert Picardo had been in a LOT of stuff, y'all

Don't forget Jhonny Cab
    https://youtu.be/xGi6j2VrL0o

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I like DS9 because all the characters are cool. Like, I love TNGs characters, but very few of them can ever be accurately described as cool.

But Kira and Odo and Quark and Sisko, they’re all cool.

DS9 could most successfully survive the transition to anime out of any of the Star Trek series.

Winky on
  • Options
    I like DS9 because all the characters are cool. Like, I love TNGs characters, but very few of them can ever be accurately described as cool.

DS9 could most successfully survive the transition to anime out of any of the Star Trek series.

Nani?
    ds9_2.jpg

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Nani?
    ds9_2.jpg

Which one is Quark?

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

...He's not wrong.
    I remember chuckling during that scene because, yep, technically correct, the best form of correct.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bizazedo wrote: »

...He's not wrong.
    I remember chuckling during that scene because, yep, technically correct, the best form of correct.

I mean, the Occupation did get rid of Bajor's caste system.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

...He's not wrong.

I mean, the Occupation did get rid of Bajor's caste system.

31ocxkk5ypgs.png

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, but photoshop in the mass graves, too.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Yeah, but photoshop in the mass graves, too.

"We wouldn't have to have mass graves if you just stopped resisting." :bzz:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I have to wonder just how terrifying it would be to bring a UV light into a holodeck.

Its....Its everywhere.

the holodeck processes any organic material into resources for replicators.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess Sisko is cool sometimes (steepled fingers, deep growl), but Quark is a queasily creepy bartender, Odo is a cool race but mostly a smart, rules-obeying martinet and Kira is a complex multi-layered character but I dunno if any of those layers are cool. Like, none of them are as cool as Riker, and none of them except maybe Sisko and Kira ever nail that entirely accidental cool that Picard has by virtue of being relentlessly competent and admirable.

Cool is different for different folks, though, I guess. I don't think I'd ever really go to that word first when describing a Star Trek character from DS9 or TNG. Maybe Kirk from TOS.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess Sisko is cool sometimes (steepled fingers, deep growl), but Quark is a queasily creepy bartender, Odo is a cool race but mostly a smart, rules-obeying martinet and Kira is a complex multi-layered character but I dunno if any of those layers are cool. Like, none of them are as cool as Riker, and none of them except maybe Sisko and Kira ever nail that entirely accidental cool that Picard has by virtue of being relentlessly competent and admirable.

Cool is different for different folks, though, I guess. I don't think I'd ever really go to that word first when describing a Star Trek character from DS9 or TNG. Maybe Kirk from TOS.

Yeah, "cool" is not the word I think of to describe the crews of either DS9 or TNG.

• Options
    I really dug that about them as well, I think. They're mostly a group of adults who do their job very well and deal with things maturely.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

yeah Picard is definitely the Jotaro Kujo of the bunch.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    (DS9) Worf is in an incredible badass, but also deeply uncool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity that that Romulan officer who got assigned to the Defiant to make sure Starfleet didn't get up to mischief with the cloaking device the Romulans gave them never actually appeared again outside of that one episode where the Defiant got introduced.

One of DS9's strengths are the clashing cultures being forced together onto one station, and it would've been nice to have a Romulan in the mix.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    (DS9) Worf is in an incredible badass, but also deeply uncool.

literally every Worf centric story can be summed up as "Why can't you just be cool for once?"

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Vic Fontaine is cool.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I'll say Riker is cool, if that also means we've changed the definition of the word cool to mean insufferable. But I will admit, he is not as bad as Troi.

Viskod on
  • Options
    I liked when Worf crashed Odo's undercover investigation

Oh Worf

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'll say Riker is cool, if that also means we've changed the definition of the word cool to mean insufferable. But I will admit, he is not as bad as Troi.

I thought Riker was cool when I was a kid. As an adult, I think S1 / S2 Riker in particular is a dick. He's less eye-rollingly confident and casually cruel to Geordi in particular later on.

• Options
    Riker has tons of cool moments right from the start. Sadly he doesn't get as much focus as other characters over the course of TNG. His Klingon exchange episode is great and Riker is goddamn fantastic in it. The scene in the mess alone is worth it.

• Options
    Vic Fontaine is cool.

Oh Worf

Worf and Odo needed more buddy cop adventures dammit

• Options
    Riker is not insufferable. He is the most sincerely helpful and supportive bro in the universe.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Oh Worf
    The best part of that episode was when Worf claims that security breaches didn't happen on the Enterprise.
    Odo just gets the closest he ever gets to a shit-eating grin on his face and pulls a pad off the counter. Doesn't look for it, doesn't have to bring anything up. He's known this was coming and he's prepped a list of all the times Worf's security measures didn't work.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.