Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Just finished retelling "The End of Time" to my 4yo. She concluded: "I would give the Master a candy. If I meed him and he's angry I'll give him a candy. Then he won't be angry anymore. Because he'll have a candy."

Someone get me RTD on the phone right now.
    To think, everything could've been solved with jelly babies years ago.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    I've always been amazed that Dr Who could say 'Jelly Babies' at a time when Blue Peter had to strictly say sticky back plastic to avoid advertising on a public broadcaster. Apparently Bassettes reach extends to the corridors of power at BBC...

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Jenna Coleman just trying to fool people with a blonde wig, I see!

Very well, congratulations, "Millie Gibson"

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Jenna Coleman just trying to fool people with a blonde wig, I see!

Very well, congratulations, "Millie Gibson"

It is like this weird amalgamation of Piper and Coleman.

It would be funny if they made the show a little perverted like Lexx.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I was going to say, the phrase "Discount Rose Tyler" instantly pops into my head.

Otherwise she's great. Though I know I'm getting old now, because I'm looking at that outfit and going... huh? What is that, not side boob but side love handle? Is this what the kids are into these days? Eh whatever.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I was genuinely confused because I thought Yasmin Finney was going to be the companion, but I guess she's the companion for Tennant round two? Which presumably makes her being called Rose even mysterious.

• Options
    Here is a live action video.
    https://youtu.be/OdlNzve5om4

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ruby Tuesday is right there! C'mon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Isn't Children in Need broadcast live? I'm wondering how they managed do the TARDIS teleporting in effect live. Presumably it was already there for the live studio audience to see.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Isn't Children in Need broadcast live? I'm wondering how they managed do the TARDIS teleporting in effect live. Presumably it was already there for the live studio audience to see.

They have done that trick before. I think they cut to pre-recorded video. So, it is already on stage. The audience is in on it.

• Options
    That is the thing about watching a show being filmed. It takes away the magic, but you get to see the tricks they use.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    For some reason I remember denim overalls as being a big part of Rose's look, but Google says she only wore them for Tooth and Claw.

-ggcl8XS_400x400.jpg

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    For Christmas, my daughter wants a TARDIS that can open with 10th and Donna action figures... anyone knows where I can find this in Canada?

sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Canadian Tire, I assume.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Rewatched An Adventure In Space & Time for Doctor Who Day. Still hits like a truck, what a wonderful little movie.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Ruby Chewsday
    innit?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching the latest.

Standard Chibbs really. A bunch of cool visual moments tied together by an incoherent plot. Just with a bunch of (admittedly enjoyable) nostalgia wank served on the side.

Farewell Jodie, you had great potential but were royally screwed over by your scripts.

I’m a little wary of returning to RTD/Tennant being potentially a vain attempt to recapture an old lost glory but we shall see. A little throwback pallet cleanser before we move to new pastures with Ncuti could be just what we need to rekindle some lost enthusiasm.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I feel like the Tennant arc will about how the Doctor has to change, and can't just return to the old standards/favourites?

• Options
    The Tennant Two experience is going to feel weirdly like it's 2009 again when they did those 3 episodes leading up to 10's regeneration episode.

• Options
    It is really annoying that we have to wait until next November for this. I mean at least space it out over the year.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    What worries me is that people will lose interest after waiting so long. It better be amazing.
    I got The Tenth Planet in the mail. I got the UK version because the American version was absurdly priced.
    America can be a really money grubbing place sometimes.
    What I can do is watch it on the computer to get past the region lock.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What worries me is that people will lose interest after waiting so long. It better be amazing.
    I got The Tenth Planet in the mail. I got the UK version because the American version was absurdly priced.

Look we've worried about this several times now and it's only ever turned out to be slightly true.

I can't speak for what it's like anywhere else, but here in the States it's like nobody knows what Doctor Who is anymore, we're back to "Oh yeah I remember watching that show like 6-7 years ago, it was fun but I thought it ended, they made more episodes?"

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Look we've worried about this several times now and it's only ever turned out to be slightly true.

I can't speak for what it's like anywhere else, but here in the States it's like nobody knows what Doctor Who is anymore, we're back to "Oh yeah I remember watching that show like 6-7 years ago, it was fun but I thought it ended, they made more episodes?"

I bet Disney+ will hype the shit out of it.

• Options
    Oh also whenever anyone asks me if they made more episodes, at this point I tell them, "No, but they're going to starting next November" and leave it at that.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Disney+ will probably put Doctor Who back on the map. I bet there will be a huge jump in quality.
    Hopefully, they will not screw it up.

Krathoon on
  • Options
  • Options
    While the multi-doctor episodes are sometimes some of the weaker ones, the interaction between the Doctors is always delightful. It's a considered bit of characterisation that he never really gets on with himself - there's only room for one Doctor at any one time given the size of his ego. But he has nothing on Rassilon - what a dick! I think my favourite is the Two Doctors because they do something slightly different.

• Options
    Also, in my older years, Colin Baker's Doctor has undergone a renaissance with me (especially after Big Finish showed off that while he was brisk and short tempered, he might also have been the biggest softy of them all, even beyond the 5th - also Peri was very underappreciated as well). It is now a great regret he didnt get more time - especially as Trial of a Timelord was so wasted.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I don't know if Red Dwarf is over or not. They made that last movie that kind of seemed like a stopping point. It wrapped up the Cat's story.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I don't know if Red Dwarf is over of not. They made that last movie that kind of seemed like a stopping point. It wrapped up the Cat's story.
    I haven't watched RD since series X, which wasn't bad but honestly, they should have stopped at 6. Without Rob Grant, it's lost one of its critical wheels.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    While the multi-doctor episodes are sometimes some of the weaker ones, the interaction between the Doctors is always delightful. It's a considered bit of characterisation that he never really gets on with himself - there's only room for one Doctor at any one time given the size of his ego. But he has nothing on Rassilon - what a dick! I think my favourite is the Two Doctors because they do something slightly different.

While the newer Doctors always seem to be vaguely embarrassed by their predecessors, it's sad how often the former are disappointed or even scared of their latters. Ten's anger that Eleven "forgot" how many children died on Gallifrey comes to mind. Or One being absolutely horrified by the Testament montage about the "Doctor of War" listing off all the titles he would come to be known by...

My favorite little jokey interaction is between One and Twelve, though:

"Do I turn into you?"
    "Well there's a couple of false starts but you get there in the end!"
    "I thought... well I assumed, I'd... get younger?"
    "I AM YOUNGER"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Twice Upon a Time was a really great Christmas Episode.
    Really, most of the Christmas Episodes are good. Especially the Tennant and Matt Smith ones.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I don't know if Red Dwarf is over of not. They made that last movie that kind of seemed like a stopping point. It wrapped up the Cat's story.
    I haven't watched RD since series X, which wasn't bad but honestly, they should have stopped at 6. Without Rob Grant, it's lost one of its critical wheels.

It's mostly been "fine" since then, at least in the full seasons, and there have been standout episodes and moments, but the loss of Rob Grant has always been extremely noticeable. Seasons 3-6 inclusive remains the sweetest spot and is definitely what I go back to the most often, just timeless genius at that point, there's a whole bunch of episodes you can point to as some of the finest half-hours in sitcom history.

• Options
    I suspect that season 7 of Red Dwarf was supposed to be drastically different. The cliffhanger on season 6 was resolved in a very vague way.

• Options
    I suspect that season 7 of Red Dwarf was supposed to be drastically different. The cliffhanger on season 6 was resolved in a very vague way.

Very vague but the exploding video cameras bit was a really funny way to go about it.

I think a big part of it was the sheer amount of time between 6 and 7, over three years, which was for a number of reasons, Grant leaving being one of them.

• Options
    Really, they need to get Lister back home to Earth on a beach in Fiji.
    I assume his future with Kochanski does not happen. It was an alternate future.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I think I missed a connection somewhere. Why did you bring up Red Dwarf?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    *TARDIS materialises in the hangar bay next to Starbug*

"Who the smeg is that?"

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So my 4yo was playing foam sword duels with her grandma. Grandma got a hit. "Gotcha!"

4yo replied: "It's ok, I can regenerate!"

sig.gif