As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Reveal stream live now! Expansion drops April 9th!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I wish my fucking friends list weren't full all the time.

• Options
    I have read that if you don't fill a complete deck for this brawl, the game will complete it for you when you play. I have no idea if it's just a purely random autofill or if it will give you something vaguely capable of winning.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    This Brawl is basically what a Limited Format would look like. I actually really dig it. Classic isn't even included! How rad is that.

But yeah a Limited Format with changing sets rotating every now and then (1-2 months?) would be extremely cool.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I settled on an antiaggro focused Renolock and played from 5 to 2 in Wild today. Variety is really high, the Odd Rogue and Big Priest hordes from last week seem to have calmed down. Only played two matchups more than twice in 40 games. I have no idea why people are playing Hunter in Wild though, it's the second worst class there behind Druid. It's also wonderful having access to Dirty Rat and not having to automatically lose to combo decks like in Standard.

hvPEcaR.png?1

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    The Wild population is already relatively sparse as it is. I don't see what a limited format would do other than fragment the limited population that actually has a deep collection of old sets even more.

• Options
    Managed to go 3-1 tonight with my slightly ghetto Odd Quest Warrior, despite the matchmaker's best efforts by pitting me against two Cube Hunters (a horrible matchup for warrior), which I somehow stopped running into this month when playing stronger counters like Odd Paladin, Odd Rogue.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    This Brawl is basically what a Limited Format would look like. I actually really dig it. Classic isn't even included! How rad is that.

But yeah a Limited Format with changing sets rotating every now and then (1-2 months?) would be extremely cool.

I just threw together a deck but I was doomed with priest and 2 mana creatures as my dailies
    I feel like an idiot as I did not understand how mechs worked or magnetic ones combined but It took 3 attempts before I won a game

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Managed to go 3-1 tonight with my slightly ghetto Odd Quest Warrior, despite the matchmaker's best efforts by pitting me against two Cube Hunters (a horrible matchup for warrior), which I somehow stopped running into this month when playing stronger counters like Odd Paladin, Odd Rogue.

I find my Odd Quest Warrior kills hunters because I run two owls to silence stuff. Maybe you can find a spot for them? They are generally very useful in most matchups.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I have read that if you don't fill a complete deck for this brawl, the game will complete it for you when you play. I have no idea if it's just a purely random autofill or if it will give you something vaguely capable of winning.

It just autocompletes from your collection so i have no idea what's awesome about a gimped deck thats missing 3 wild sets.

Anyone have a list for people who only have the new sets?

Ill take a stab again this morning but good god this is a dumb concept to throw at anyone who started during WotG.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Got it on the back of a good rush warrior starting hand, opponent conceded on turn 5

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

It just autocompletes from your collection so i have no idea what's awesome about a gimped deck thats missing 3 wild sets.

Anyone have a list for people who only have the new sets?

Ill take a stab again this morning but good god this is a dumb concept to throw at anyone who started during WotG.
    I wonder what happens then if someone doesn't have enough cards to make a full deck, which is literally possible with this brawl since Basic/Classic cards are out.

• Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »

I find my Odd Quest Warrior kills hunters because I run two owls to silence stuff. Maybe you can find a spot for them? They are generally very useful in most matchups.
    I run one Owl but I feel like there are enough games where Owls aren't all that useful that a second might ruin some matchups. Even with silence, Cube Hunters can usually keep crapping out more activators and value, especially against a slower deck like taunt warrior that can't really pressure the hunter and force them to make inefficient earlier plays to survive. And any non-silenced eggs end up being a huge liability for the rag hero power.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Wow, I have the complete opposite experience with the deck versus Hunters and bring it to rank 5 the last 3 seasons on EU and US servers. I don't have the time to go beyond that, so maybe that's why I don't experience problems, but it sure feels weird.

The amount of silence, removal and mass removal just makes their early pressure crumble, and once that's out of the way the deck generally poses no threat.

### Odd Quest Warrior
    # Class: Warrior
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 1x (1) Fire Plume's Heart
    # 2x (1) Shield Slam
    # 2x (3) Acolyte of Pain
    # 1x (3) Blackwald Pixie
    # 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
    # 2x (3) Ironbeak Owl
    # 1x (3) Mind Control Tech
    # 2x (3) Phantom Militia
    # 2x (3) Reckless Flurry
    # 2x (3) Shield Block
    # 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (5) Brawl
    # 2x (5) Direhorn Hatchling
    # 2x (5) Dyn-o-matic
    # 2x (5) Supercollider
    # 1x (5) Zilliax
    # 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
    #
    AAECAQcG3gXTwwLTxQLl7wKe+AKggAMMS6ICogT/B/sMm8ICysMCoscCyucCquwCjvsCnvsCAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This is the deck, if you're interested. I tried the newer version, but it lacked just a little consistency.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Most hunters, yes. Cube hunter isn't an early pressure deck (generally, although it can be when they highroll into, say, Coin + Egg on 2, Terrorscale Egg on 3, etc.). I'm specifically talking Cube, as that's the only bad hunter matchup for warrior.

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, that's the deck I'm talking about as well?

Edit: I feel because this version tops out at 5 Mana (cept for Baku of course) it has a better early and midgame, and your hero power controlls the end game anyways.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Well, DK Rexxar's hero power is what really controls the end game. I'm not sure how you'd survive them getting that early. Eventually you run out of removal and clears from the infinite value.

Yours does look teched specifically to have a better chance against Cube hunter, but then it also looks more susceptible to later game, exodia, etc. decks.

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    He can only play one at the time, but I find my hero beats his as my two Mana destroys his 8 Mana beast, while I have 8 Mana left to play more stuff. It is tougher if he gets his earlier though, but I feel the scales are still in my favor.

The deck is teched versus aggro like odd rogue and palladin, which both made a comeback, as that's was the biggest problem, getting a foot down in the early game. It's also nice versus otk palladin and of course the many hunters.

The decks I struggle more with are indeed Exodia like decks, though hardly unwinnable, but that's hardly as meta as Hunter. I rarely see it, and that becomes a race to the endgame, where they don't expect the Pixy. That card has won me many control like matchups.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Is anyone else seeing a huge number of mecha’thun decks at 5?

Cause it’s about half my games at this point.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Our best shit poster was Gnome though, RIP.

the best shitposter is the hearthstone classic set

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    y'all talk about me like i died

sorry dover

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    This must be how Jesus' disciples felt after Easter.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

God rest his soul.

• Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Truly he will be missed. I swear it feels like I can still hear his voice. I can just imagine him now saying

sorry dover

Now if you would all please turn to hymn number 741 and we will sing together “Lo How A Hunter Did Topdeck Leeroy” in his memory.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

sorry dover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYcPBE5PXhs

Also, this marks day 5 of me not bothering to open Hearthstone and I can't help but feel sad and depressed about how little I want to play it right now. I'm hoping a short break is all I really need.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Also, this marks day 5 of me not bothering to open Hearthstone and I can't help but feel sad and depressed about how little I want to play it right now. I'm hoping a short break is all I really need.

Dibby tried, but the gravitational pull was just too great for him to escape. Occasionally we hear that there are some who are successful escaping the pit of doom, but only faint echos that we swear they are still here with us.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Our best shit poster was Gnome though, RIP.

the best shitposter is the hearthstone classic set

gzu1yspeq0wk.jpg

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Dibby tried, but the gravitational pull was just too great for him to escape. Occasionally we hear that there are some who are successful escaping the pit of doom, but only faint echos that we swear they are still here with us.

I think the biggest regret I have right now is that I'm letting quests waste away. But it's gotten to the point where that's a daily chore instead of a fun thing to do.

• Options
    I don't bother with quests because they're tedious and I'd rather play good decks that win. I also don't do tavern brawl for the same reason.

It's a game, do what you enjoy.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Ya I'm ignoring quests as well...

-_-'

1c5edbm4986l.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

yes :(

i tried to escape!!! but it pulled me back in. tbh i forget what was even the thing that made me reinstall. there was something in particular but i forget now. meh.

but

BUT!!!

i'm basically playing just to play rather than playing because i feel the need to attain some arbitrary goal (hit rank 5, hit legend, hit 500 wins on every class, etc etc etc)

it's actually been really... liberating. just, playing. just like "lemme slam out some games with Spell Hunter, because that's a fun deck".

so yknow basically echoing what yilias said. just play for fun y'all. stop caring. play weird off-meta wacky decks. or play the really strong tryhard decks too if that's what you want! but just play for fuckin' fun rather than feeling driven to accomplish something (which, of course, is made easier for me given that i've already obtained legend which is literally the only thing i've ever wanted since i started playing. i've beaten hearthstone already!).

edit: also what helped get me back in the game a lot was not needing to actually buy any rastakhan's packs. thank god for mammoth's power creep because that actually let me re-enter the game without putting down an entry fee.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah I stopped playing to rank and just play whatever I want and do quests. Insanely liberating lol.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    anyway my new year's wish for HS is for them to finally stop being cowards and completely rotate the fucking classic set out to wild

get rid of it already

it was a mistake. everyone knows this. druid has gotten HOW many nerfs now? it's almost like the classic set is holding back design space and imposing limitations on what can and can't be printed. or making it so that certain cards just aren't run because their classic analogs are better

imagine, for a second, a world in which mage didn't have flamestrike or blizzard or frostbolt or fireball every single expansion. imagine the kinds of new board clears and removal spells and burn spells you could print knowing that those cards aren't in the game

wowee

wouldn't that be amazing? wouldn't that be fresh?

man up HS team

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I finish my quests in Casual so I don't have to worry about losing ranks.

They should absolutely rotate out the Classic/Basic sets. That was something that I really liked about the Brawl this week. It was tough unwrapping my head around the idea of playing into Brawls, MCT, and so forth. But even more important, they can print a bunch of better non-filler cards to replace the missing Classic/Basic stuff.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    anyway my new year's wish for HS is for them to finally stop being cowards and completely rotate the fucking classic set out to wild

get rid of it already

it was a mistake. everyone knows this. druid has gotten HOW many nerfs now? it's almost like the classic set is holding back design space and imposing limitations on what can and can't be printed. or making it so that certain cards just aren't run because their classic analogs are better

imagine, for a second, a world in which mage didn't have flamestrike or blizzard or frostbolt or fireball every single expansion. imagine the kinds of new board clears and removal spells and burn spells you could print knowing that those cards aren't in the game

wowee

man up HS team

How do you solve the need for a base set that new players could gain quickly and returning players could rely on?

• Options
    edited January 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »

get rid of it already

wowee

man up HS team

How do you solve the need for a base set that new players could gain quickly and returning players could rely on?

you shouldn't have a base set that new/returning players gain quickly and rely on. that's the whole problem. the classic set isn't even necessarily a "reliable fallback", because of the shifting meta and because they're not always seeing play. i mean they see play now because they're heinously strong fucking cards that shouldn't keep existing in standard, but that's besides the point.

instead though the solution is to just give way the fuck more handouts

new players should just get a whole shitload of [latest expac] packs. or hell give them some packs from EVERY standard expac. similarly, there should be some kind of system that gives returning players (i.e. haven't played in a long while) a whole shitload of [latest expac] packs as well. or, yknow, some packs from every standard expac, like new players would

idfk why blizz is so goddamn allergic to freebies but that's the solution.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Make the first deck recipe in each class free to play. Have it constantly updated as sets are added and rotated.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Magic the Gathering: Arena solution. Curated precon decks. Adjust them for true new players every rotation.

For returning players, judge it by % of their playable cards I imagine whether they can get the precons.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Make the first deck recipe in each class free to play. Have it constantly updated as sets are added and rotated.

yeah, this is a good idea as well. deck recipes aren't even like supremely strong or w/e so i dunno why they tout it like some kind of vaunted fucking treasure. but there you go, new/returning players would have a way to play again even if non-optimal, yknow?

brawl should also give more packs (seriously, one? that's a fucking pittance) and even toss in like 3 free arena runs with it.

there's all kinds of stuff they can do that they refuse to do. shrug!

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

get rid of it already

wowee

man up HS team

you shouldn't have a base set that new/returning players gain quickly and rely on. that's the whole problem. the classic set isn't even necessarily a "reliable fallback", because of the shifting meta and because they're not always seeing play. i mean they see play now because they're heinously strong fucking cards that shouldn't keep existing in standard, but that's besides the point.

new players should just get a whole shitload of [latest expac] packs. or hell give them some packs from EVERY standard expac. similarly, there should be some kind of system that gives returning players (i.e. haven't played in a long while) a whole shitload of [latest expac] packs as well. or, yknow, some packs from every standard expac, like new players would

If your solution is for Activision/Blizzard to give out more free stuff to the players, then its not really a solution :P

• Options

get rid of it already

wowee

man up HS team

If your solution is for Activision/Blizzard to give out more free stuff to the players, then its not really a solution :P

No, it actually is a solution. Just because we have a 0.000000000001% chance of seeing it happen because Acti-Blizzard doesn't believe in making good games, doesn't make it a non-solution.

Also, it's not more free stuff to the players, it's different free stuff to the players. Instead of giving them all the basic cards and giving them a few free packs to start with, give them a free deck and that's it.