As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Servers are up, Patch 8.2 ahoy ! When did Azshara grow three extra eyes ?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    what's the trick to win things higher than normal? Do you just send one person to harass the other group while the other two work on collecting azerite or something?

Big pulls, and hunt rares. Generally when you lose it's because you pulled too small. When I'm farming normals it's not uncommon to win 6000/1500 because we do more or less the entire island in one pull.

Yeah I feel like that was certainly a thing I could do if the third person actually followed me around and didn't just run off on their own and try to solo them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    what's the trick to win things higher than normal? Do you just send one person to harass the other group while the other two work on collecting azerite or something?

Big pulls, and hunt rares. Generally when you lose it's because you pulled too small. When I'm farming normals it's not uncommon to win 6000/1500 because we do more or less the entire island in one pull.

Yeah I feel like that was certainly a thing I could do if the third person actually followed me around and didn't just run off on their own and try to solo them.

in general it feels like random island groups seem to have a real bias against the optimal strategy, which is follow the tank -> don't hit anything -> wait for the grouped clump of mobs -> blow it up

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I still don't entirely get the island stuff.

The normals seem stupid hard and there's stuff that just like oneshots you out of nowhere with no visual indicator it's happening.

I was tanking some elites and a rare then all of a sudden all 3 of us were dead.

Also I have no idea what I'm supposed to do other than just run around and kill those elites/rares/pick up azerite stuff. On normal they seem to keep up pretty well with us even if we kill the npc group occasionally and destroy their extractors or whatever.

Islands now follow the bar fill-up model first introduced in WoD. I mean they always did, but there were many perverse incentives to just farm rares.

Ok so to fill your bar:
    If you see something attackable kill it
    If you see something lootable loot it
    If you see something minable mine it
    If you see the opposite faction (pvp or ai) click then to see their debuffs, one of which tells you how much azerite they are carrying. If it's over 100, kill them, otherwise avoid them.
    Don't die, especially not near the event faction if YOUR azerite debuff is high

What is your ilvl? Unlike WQ, islands are static per difficulty, they don't scale with ilvl, so at very low ilvl normal can be hard and at very high ilvl mythic can be easy. I have been able to solo 90% of normal islands once i got over 360ilvl (a month or two ago), on my rogue. Keep in mind a lot of the mobs on islands (including just regular ol' trash) autoattack for nothing but have ground effects that hit like a train if you don't move out of them, even on normal. And if you are standing in tall grass or other obscuring things it can be hard to see. So if the ground has a lot of clutter, try to pull stuf elsewhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Well, you're not really guaranteed to get tank/heals when solo queueing, so when it's just 3 hunters you make do.

On normal I find we win pretty easily as long as every one is out killing and not fighting stupidly.

soylenth on
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I still don't entirely get the island stuff.

The normals seem stupid hard and there's stuff that just like oneshots you out of nowhere with no visual indicator it's happening.

I was tanking some elites and a rare then all of a sudden all 3 of us were dead.

Also I have no idea what I'm supposed to do other than just run around and kill those elites/rares/pick up azerite stuff. On normal they seem to keep up pretty well with us even if we kill the npc group occasionally and destroy their extractors or whatever.

Islands now follow the bar fill-up model first introduced in WoD. I mean they always did, but there were many perverse incentives to just farm rares.

Ok so to fill your bar:
    If you see something attackable kill it
    If you see something lootable loot it
    If you see something minable mine it
    If you see the opposite faction (pvp or ai) click then to see their debuffs, one of which tells you how much azerite they are carrying. If it's over 100, kill them, otherwise avoid them.
    Don't die, especially not near the event faction if YOUR azerite debuff is high

What is your ilvl? Unlike WQ, islands are static per difficulty, they don't scale with ilvl, so at very low ilvl normal can be hard and at very high ilvl mythic can be easy. I have been able to solo 90% of normal islands once i got over 360ilvl (a month or two ago), on my rogue. Keep in mind a lot of the mobs on islands (including just regular ol' trash) autoattack for nothing but have ground effects that hit like a train if you don't move out of them, even on normal. And if you are standing in tall grass or other obscuring things it can be hard to see. So if the ground has a lot of clutter, try to pull stuf elsewhere.

355 ilvl somewhere around there. I just did the normals to get a feel for them and it felt like I was doing pretty much all of the work and without me they would've lost.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to feel the complaints about oversimplification though. I feel like I had slightly more things to do in previous expansions. Right now on my hunter it's like 4 abilities I really use for battle with the occasional cooldown blown. Just makes the grind feel slightly more grindy is all. Aside from that, Liking the current incarnation of survival hunter a lot. If there was some form of axe-throwing still involved it would be just about exactly what I was trying to make with this character waaaaay back in Vanilla (I've been playing my first character ever horde side out of nostalgia).

A lot of my experience with vanilla though was as an rts fanboy being incredibly frustrated that I couldn't recreate any of the beloved units from the rts too easily. I wanted a troll axe-thrower (or at least spear thrower) and a bat mount so I could make a troll bat rider, and it only took a decade or so but they're almost there! But ... Like demon hunters? Too bad, no glaives in the game! Like tauren with tree trunks? No tree trunks in game! They've slowly added in a lot of that over time, especially recently, but it was really odd to me how plain the characters were in vanilla compared to the variety in the rts. "Welcome to World of Warcraft where you will be able to play maybe half of the iconic classes from the games that brought you here, hooray!"

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    soylenth wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel the complaints about oversimplification though. I feel like I had slightly more things to do in previous expansions. Right now on my hunter it's like 4 abilities I really use for battle with the occasional cooldown blown. Just makes the grind feel slightly more grindy is all. Aside from that, Liking the current incarnation of survival hunter a lot. If there was some form of axe-throwing still involved it would be just about exactly what I was trying to make with this character waaaaay back in Vanilla (I've been playing my first character ever horde side out of nostalgia).

A lot of my experience with vanilla though was as an rts fanboy being incredibly frustrated that I couldn't recreate any of the beloved units from the rts too easily. I wanted a troll axe-thrower (or at least spear thrower) and a bat mount so I could make a troll bat rider, and it only took a decade or so but they're almost there! But ... Like demon hunters? Too bad, no glaives in the game! Like tauren with tree trunks? No tree trunks in game! They've slowly added in a lot of that over time, especially recently, but it was really odd to me how plain the characters were in vanilla compared to the variety in the rts. "Welcome to World of Warcraft where you will be able to play maybe half of the iconic classes from the games that brought you here, hooray!"

Survival was a really complicated mess in Legion. Didn't sound that fun to play even if was viable.

Beast Mastery is mostly the same, except they got rid of Stomp and forced everybody into the more complicated, more finicky Dire Beast build.

Marksmanship was completely rebuilt, but it sounds a lot harder/more complicated to me? Keys off multiple procs now, which can change up your regular rotation of 3-4 abilities.

hippofant on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    For heroics my average time to win is a little over 9 minutes. Generally when Flynn goes "Machine's online!" We're on the cusp of victory which is the 9 minute mark.

Loot everything , Smart kill. Clear around Azerite lootables and such work to rare packs and grab up the azerite chests and sacks they tend to guard.

The name of the game now is kill and loot everything so no need to overly cherry pick everyone stick together and burn and pillage.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I think why I like Cooking Impossible so much is that it’s FAST. I havn’t pulled out a stopwatch or anything, but it always feels like there’s something you can be doing to help out your team.

Also there’s some really weird strategies you can do, like the Alliance Yak.

(The yaks on the south border drop meat when killed which counts as a ingredient. What some people are doing is pulling the entire herd to the hills west of the Alliance’s pot and killing them there so it’s a short blitzkrieg run in.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Well, you're not really guaranteed to get tank/heals when solo queueing, so when it's just 3 hunters you make do.

On normal I find we win pretty easily as long as every one is out killing and not fighting stupidly.

Three hunters is a nearly ideal island group. You have three tanks and three people to heal them as you aoe the bajeesus out of everything. Same goes with full warlock groups.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    They patched it so you can be a gnome and mount again. Wondervolt users rejoice.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Just race change and be a gnome every day friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That's too much gnome.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I kind of just want to spend a few hours island grinding wit ha group. I haven't done any heroic islands yet

• Options
    Make it mythics and I'll come (this weekend). Still need the 50 mythic islands achievement.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I kind of just want to spend a few hours island grinding wit ha group. I haven't done any heroic islands yet

The drop rates for the fun stuff are pretty decent now. It honestly is not a bad way to get some gear for alts as well. I had almost a full set of random stuff for my hunter once he hit 120 of 310 gear and a 325 weapon with some interesting looks. Lots of random pets and toys as well.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    You can sell a lot of those things on the AH either for transmog or people using them to boost ilvl on alts.

Also it is kind of dumb the little hoops you need to go through to get 320 so you can start the avalanche of 340+ gear. The shitty scaling from wqs means you scrape by to get 1 ilvl at a time, and when you hit 320 you suddenly can shoot to around 360 really fast.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Blizzard wrote:
    Since the launch of Battle for Azeroth, we’ve noticed an increasing trend of players turning off XP gains at level 110 in order to repeatedly powerlevel other players’ characters at an excessive rate without increasing their own level. The intention of the XP-off feature is to allow alternate characters to stay in lower-level PvP brackets or relive lower-level content, not to purposefully halt progression in content relevant to the current expansion.

To curb this behavior, we plan to implement a hotfix in the coming days that will disable the ability to turn off XP gains on characters level 110 or higher. Additionally, any character of that level who already has XP disabled will find it automatically re-enabled the next time they log in.

How fucking petty can you get?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They're setting the game up for a fall on purpose, right? Like, this is in service of some goal of Activision's to torpedo WoW and launch WoW mobile or something. There's no way they genuinely think they're doing a good job.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaaares.

It takes, what, 10 hours to level to 120? If TWO people team together and do it in 5 hours - which is probably a low estimate but whatever - they're still playing TEN HOURS combined. And the difference is only 5 hours less playtime from one player! Who presumably wants to play more because they're being power-leveled to 120! Who caaaaaaaaaaaares. Why does Blizzard caaaaaaaaaaaare? Why don't they fucking make their game good rather than policing people who don't enjoy the game as much as they should?! They lived with the Refer-a-Friend TRIPLE EXPERIENCE bonus for years! What the fuck does this matter?! Even putting aside whether the change itself is good or not, just... why are they even spending their time on this? Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares?

hippofant on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    They're setting the game up for a fall on purpose, right? Like, this is in service of some goal of Activision's to torpedo WoW and launch WoW mobile or something. There's no way they genuinely think they're doing a good job.

While I agree with you on the overall point, not really seeing a problem with specifically preventing people from artificially elevating XP gains.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Like if some people want to play that way, why not let them? I don't see why you would need to turn off a feature that some of your players use and like just to avoid other people from using it to...I wouldn't even say abuse, the system

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Like if some people want to play that way, why not let them? I don't see why you would need to turn off a feature that some of your players use and like just to avoid other people from using it to...I wouldn't even say abuse, the system
    How is that not an abuse of the system? What the post said is correct, the system itself was to let people stay at certain points to play in lower brackets / lower level content, not boost XP gains.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Wait, they are claiming this is a rising concern when the EXACT same thing was done in legion? I think it was even worse then because you could get titanforged max level gear at level 101 with max level rating secondary stats to become literal dungeon gods.

Fun detected indeed

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So, like, why not just make it so that PvP doesn't grant XP?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    How is that not an abuse of the system? What the post said is correct, the system itself was to let people stay at certain points to play in lower brackets / lower level content, not boost XP gains.

Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares.

Literally the week after BFA came out, we were all here posting about how experience and levels don't mean anything any more. You hit 120 before you even finish 2 BFA zones! Post-120 progression is something like 5 times longer than 110-120! These people are all almost assuredly alts! You don't get any new talents or abilities going from 110 to 120! Everybody coming out of Legion into BFA was already super-powered and buffed for BFA leveling!

There is no conceivable reason for Blizzard to want to do this other than 1) being pedantically anal about how people are playing their game or 2) selling boosts.

Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    So, like, why not just make it so that PvP doesn't grant XP?
    When the system went into place, it was primarily for PvP, but also for PvE. Molten Core at level appropriate, YAY!, etc

It's an olllllld system.

That and a switch prevents accidents.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    There is no conceivable reason for Blizzard to want to do this other than 1) being pedantically anal about how people are playing their game or 2) selling boosts.

Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares.

Ding Ding ding.
    Seller wrote:

G2G.com - Buy WoW Boosting Service (US) Securely

https://www.g2g.com/wow-us/boosting-service-2299-22887

For World Of Warcraft players who have no time to level up their characters, they can always hire WOW Boosting service's sellers or power-levelers via G2G.com ...

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I suspect it has a bit to do with people selling boosting services for real money.

And it’s cutting into their own character boost sales

• Options
    I am pissed off because I specifically locked my herbalist warrior on 112 so I could use the BFA crafted gear in conjuction with Legion legendaries for fast transmog runs and herb farming.

• Options
    Blizzard has had a history of going "Whoa these people are having too much fun, let's nerf the thing that's fun"

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I suspect it has a bit to do with people selling boosting services for real money.

And it’s cutting into their own character boost sales

Nah, this is pure "You're not playing the game the way we want you to."
    Character boosts only go to 110 and there were never any issues with people boosting other people when it was higher lvl character helping out lowbies.

• Options
    I'm ignorant and don't understand how locking a character at 110 helps boost other characters.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I'm ignorant and don't understand how locking a character at 110 helps boost other characters.

Level 110 Legion characters are uber-powerful compared to fresh 120s, with legendaries and raid gear some 4-5 tiers above the ilvl curve and unnerfed secondary stat distributions.

hippofant on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Level 110 Legion characters are uber-powerful compared to fresh 120s, with legendaries and raid gear some 4-5 tiers above the ilvl curve and unnerfed secondary stat distributions.

Oh, okay, I think I kinda get it, though I still am not picking up the powerleveling complaint they have.

• Options

If you go into Island Expeditions with your Legion legendaries and some BFA gear while you are still low level you can clear the place much faster than people who got over the 115 mark.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    There is already an update stating they are going to reconsider.

While that is good that they realized this was a HORRIBLE decision, the kneejerk reaction makes me wonder what the fuck is even going on in this company anymore.

• Options
    Okay, I think I'm understanding this better.

Why don't they just stat squash the Legion gear, instead of turning off an important feature?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Kai_San wrote: »

While that is good that they realized this was a HORRIBLE decision, the kneejerk reaction makes me wonder what the fuck is even going on in this company anymore.

Honestly, this sort of thing makes me wonder if someone is really really bored. Like... who's even looking at fucking data analytics for this? Someone's identifying that there are a lot of people locked between 110-115, then seeing they're spending their time in PvE and not PvP, and then seeing that they're partied with unlocked people? Unless Blizzard's data metrics are really advanced/weird, this was a lonnnnng process to figure this out.

Which, okay, this happens at game companies, somebody at the bottom is bored and messing around with the tools and they're super-nerds so this is what they do, but then they also have enough pull to get this raised up to the top and have a policy change implemented as a result of that? That seems weird. Surely, as a manager, you'd be asking why the fuck they're spending their time doing this and why the fuck they're wasting your time with this? So... does that mean it's someone at the TOP who's really fucking bored? Or someone at the top who is really obsessed over little shit and is tasking people to work on this little shit?

hippofant on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Just imagine the last boss of the brewery in mop. Ion is him just going “mmm yes more corn, wait no peppers! No, mayonnaise!” when they are trying to make a whiskey sour. Theres no vision for anything, they just spin plates and knock them down randomly and then spin up more plates. They just need a design document saying “this is what we want leveling to be, this is what X class is supposed to be” and follow it.

This discussion has been closed.