As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Auto Chess] Drodo's Auto Chess, Dota Underlords, and Teamfight Tactics!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeh it's a game where you can't win em all but you probably can take top 3

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yea don’t expect to win them all but just feels like so many extremes. Maybe just need more practice.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I just tried queuing into this for the first time in a long time, and it took 20 minutes to find a game because everyone kept failing to load, thus tossing me into a queue cycle. Was there a big change or something network related or what? Seems way more difficult to find games and it's definitely not because of player base with 330k active players or whatever.

• Options
    I actually found it much better lately.

Played 3 games yesterday and got a 6th then 2 firsts. The first of the two I got to 4% health then started winning. Lost to the dragon which put me to 1%. Then won the next 2 rounds to take it out. Nail bitter!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    https://www.vpesports.com/dota2/news/auto-chess-goes-mobile-with-a-1-5m-usd-league-announced

I'm not exactly sure I want to play this game on my phone as matches can go for a while, but I'll definitely give it a shot. I guess there's always the possibility of a desktop version down the line too.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Maybe if it's in English I'll give it a go. I can't even register though so *shrug*

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I'll take any version of this game that is able to implement proper matchmaking. I like it a lot, but I've been sitting at Knight-9 for a while and no matter how many games I win I can't seem to get any higher since I'm always matched with other knights or pawns.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Just had a belter of a game. Got 2* beastmaster on round 3 and he carried me the rest of the way.
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I'll take any version of this game that is able to implement proper matchmaking. I like it a lot, but I've been sitting at Knight-9 for a while and no matter how many games I win I can't seem to get any higher since I'm always matched with other knights or pawns.

Have you tried using the qilc discord or whatever it’s called for match making?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, qihl is the place to go to for games once you're above like knight-6 or so. They've had matchmaking disabled for lobbies under like Bishop-6 for forever, but the no-bot lobbies are fast and get you into good games easily.

https://discordapp.com/invite/VvUPPcf

• Options
    Thanks guys! Will check it out.

Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Managed to claw myself to bishop-1 in random queues, should probably look at those lobby things.

Just had one of these silly games where you always get what you need and just roll to victory without ever losing. Early Bounty 2, early clock 2 with a timbersaw and shadowfiend as damage backup. Beastmaster 2 for additional damage in the midgame and clock 3 right around the time he falls off. Going early to level 7 let me keep steamrolling and get an early level 8/9 off interest and winstreak gold. Didn't get 6 goblins until 10, but shadowfiend with some damage items and medusa 2 let me carry the goblins through anyway. It really was over before I got techies, and the turn after than I got beast 3 and bounty 3.

I kind of felt bad for the opposition.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Yesterday's patch
    All Queen players will now have their numeric ranking displayed, rather than only the top 100 Queen players.
    All pieces' AI will now initiate battle within 1 second, except for Assassin pieces' AI, which will initiate battle in 2 seconds.
    Reworked Aimed Shot (Hunter's Perk): (3) Hunters: All friendly hunters have +30 base attack damage, and have +30% chance to pierce through evasion. (6) Hunters: All friendly hunters have additional +40 base attack damage and +40% chance to pierce through evasion.
    Reworked Concealment (Satyr's Trait): Hides your bench from other players' vision when there are Satyrs in your waiting bench. Hides your pieces on the chess board until the battle begins if you have a Satyr on the board. Sneaky, sneaky!
    Improved the visual effect for Concealment (Satyr's Trait): Allied pieces are now more visible to you, while remaining hidden to your enemies.
    Decreased Tinker's Heat Seeking Missile damage by 50 per missle.
    Decreased Tinker's base armor from 10 to 5.
    Slark's Pounce now deals pure damage.
    Increased Death Prophet's base magic resistance from 20% to 30%.
    Decreased Lone Druid's Spirit Bear's base armor from 10 to 5.
    Decreased Windranger's base attack damage by 2.
    Increased Mirana's base attack damage by 5.
    Improved Sniper's base attack rate from 1.2 to 1.1.
    Decreased Sand King's Burrowstrike cooldown by 2 seconds.
    Slightly improved English text quality and consistency.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    i like all the changes except the concealment one, unless nobody uses concealment in which case it's fine whatever

having to toss one satyr from your bench onto the field every round in lategame to hide your positioning then remove it immediately before the prepare phase is over sounds awful

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    1kilzrqgf1vy.png

Finally got a win yesterday. Then today I managed to get the 6 goblin cheese strat and win again. I've clearly mastered this game.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    it's true, any time you coast to a #1 finish it's because you deserve to be qween :^)

• Options
    Had a rough game last night where I got knocked down pretty bad but finally started coming good and could beat everyone except the guy in first. Clawed my way from last to 3rd (with still 8 people in) and got matched against first and knocked out. Was pretty salty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Minor update:
    - Added an option to enable auto combination of pieces (disabled by default, you can enable it on the top right hand corner). When enabled, three identical pieces on waiting bench will automatically combine and promote into a +1★ piece. Druids don't benefit from this feature.
    - Triple kill sound effect will now be played when any piece eliminates 3 enemy pieces in a row.
    - Rampage sound effect and global announcement will be played when any piece eliminates 5 enemy pieces in a row. The piece gets puffed up as well.
    - Remade Alchemist: Chemical Rage now autocasts Acidic Spray around Alchemist, reducing the armor of nearby enemies. Lasts 15 sec.
    - Balanced Coup de Grace (Assassin's Perk) critical strike chance from 10%/15%/20% to 15%/15%/15%.
    - Increased Phantom Assassin's base attack damage by 10.
    - Increased Medusa's base attack damage by 5.
    - Decreased Medusa's Stone Gaze stone duration from 2/3/4 sec to 2/2.5/3 sec.
    - Balanced Doom duration from 20 sec to 10/15/20 sec.
    - Balanced Kunkka's Ghostship cooldown from 10 sec to 15/12/9 sec.
    - Increased Omniknight's Purification damage / heal by 50.
    - Increased Morphling's base HP by 50.
    - Increased Sand King's base HP by 50.
    - Decreased Mirana's Sacred Arrow cooldown by 2 sec.
    - Redecorated cosmetic appearances for Gyrocopter★★ and Gyrocopter★★★. Splendid!
    - Fixed a bug which English language players who own Hwytty & Shyzzyrd cannot see their courier list.
    - Fixed a bug which Terrorblade's Metamorphosis can cause the target being transformed into a ghostly zombie when exchanging HP at the instance the target dies.
    - Optimised some base level mechanisms and security issues.

Nice, Alchemist is not bad again

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    Combine on bench is so good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    You can buy directly from the 'shop' and it combines even if your bench if full as long as you have two other pieces on your bench

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    This has been such an interesting mod to play and think about. Despite parts of the game being really rough (especially selecting units!), there's something compulsive about it. Despite being bad at the game, barely scratching at the learning curve, and having no idea how to play the late game; games are super satisfying and I immediately want to start another. The first time I watched a game of it, auto chess looked boring and uninteractive. Now that I'm actually playing it a 30-40 minute game flies by and I can barely keep up with the moment to moment decision making.

I feel like I'm usually pretty good at being able to identify what aspects of a game are most enjoyable for me. With this mod, I'm having trouble pinning down what exactly makes the game so fun. I suspect that's because it's doing some pretty novel stuff with all the genres it's smashing together. Some various thoughts on what might be pulling me in:

Casually competitive: 8 players FFA facilitates a "casually competitive" game. Yeah you're gonna get stomped into the ground your first few games, but after you get the basics down you're going to end up in the middle of the pack most games. Even if you don't have a great game you can say "well I didn't do as bad as those guys". Or blame it on the RNG in the game or whatever. When you do have a good game and get 1st you get the satisfaction of beating a bunch of other players, like a small scale Battle Royale game. The game being FFA also means you don't have to worry about under-performing or toxic teammates.

MOBA mechanics: The units are pretty cool, the fights are interesting to watch since there's some RNG involved, and you gradually get to build up your individual units over the course of the game. I like MOBA's so this probably plays into my enjoyment quite a bit.

Turbo GACHA: I've only ever dabbled in GACHA games on mobile (Fire Emblem), but the way you roll for units and then combine them has to be tickling the compulsive part of my brain that enjoyed opening packs of units or cards or whatever in other games. You get to roll for "packs" of units dozens of times in a single auto chess match, and if the RNG is bad you try to leverage loss streak gold or just move on to a new match. When you do get that final unit for a 3* it feels great.

Decision making: I think the what ties all the different mechanics together is the constant decision making. Econ, level up, or re-roll? Do I hold out for a 3* of this unit or do I start selling off extras? I'm just beginning to understand the flow of the game but even at this early stage I'm constantly agonizing over decisions.

Overall, Auto chess has distilled elements from RTS, MOBA, GACHA, and card games and made them work together by some miracle. It reminds me a lot of a small indie game call "Prismata" that tried to distill RTS and card games into a single game. Prismata did a pretty good job but ended up with something a little too dry/clinical. I'll be really interested to watch this game continue to grow. I hope they put out a full retail version of the game with better matchmaking, interface, etc. It's pretty cool the game has already gotten this big and still seems to be growing? I imagine I'll keep casually playing this for a while, following how the mod develops.

• Options
    Peaked at knight 9 before a series of games where I seemed to get destroyed by rng and dropped to pawn 9. I feel like maybe I was doing something wrong but not sure what.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Peaked at knight 9 before a series of games where I seemed to get destroyed by rng and dropped to pawn 9. I feel like maybe I was doing something wrong but not sure what.

I guess the rating system is pretty aggressive? I've only played about 6 real games and it's already put me at Knight 6. I feel like that's way too high? I've had a streak of 3rd place finishes so I guess that's what did it?

I have a decent handle on strong units early game and how to manage your economy mid game, but I'm clueless when it comes to late game armies. I make it through the early game ok but I get destroyed by any remaining late game players.

Does the automatic lobby finder take rank into account at all? Or is the matchmaking random?

• Options
    Auto lobby is random. You can get matched with anything. If you beat people above you you move up fast, opposite with losing when you are lower.

There is a discord server (qihl.gg) that has match making using custom lobbies where you can match against players your rank, but Im just playing public with the goal that I should be able to hit bishop in public before I go for those premadd groups.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Update! New pieces with Gods synergy.

-2 new chess pieces: Zeus(God/Mage), Mars(God/Warrior)
    -New species-God: Active when all other species traits inactive--All allies' cd decreased by 50%
    -3 least popular chess pieces: Riki, SandKing, Slark removed from chess pool temporarily and will come back later after adjustment
    -9 Assassins, 4 Nagas, 6 Beasts species traits removed
    -Assassin-Coup de Grace' chance adjusted from 15%/15%/15% to 15%/20% and damage adjusted from 300%/400%/500% to 350%/450%, Beast's attack bonus adjuested from 10%/15%/20% to 10%/20%, Naga's magic resistance bonus adjusted from 30/30 to 40, Mage's magic resistance reduction adjusted from 40/40 to 35/45, Warrior's armor bonus adjusted from 6/7/8 to 5/7/9
    -Mirana's cost adjusted to 2 its arrow's cd increased by 2
    -Treant Protector's cost adjusted to 3, base hp increased by 100, attack damage increased by 10
    -Fix Collection Bug
    -Fix Demonhunter's description

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    whattt 2-naga is even stronger now

edit: and qihl is soon going to have a better matchmaker available; if you are bishop-1 or higher you can try it out at https://beta.qihl.gg. I've played one game with it and it's pretty slick, but right now there aren't many users so it takes a long time to find a game.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Got my first win!

Got carried by a bounty hunter and anti mage that were 2* pretty early and then I eventually got them both up to 3*. I'm quickly learning that having a good spread of 2* units is key for the mid game, even more important than synergies. Usually I go for synergies before unit level and I think I've been suffering for that. I'm also learning how good two duplicate 2* units can be. The two best games I've had (including last nights win) I ended up running two 2* bounty hunters through the mid game. Those guys can shred teams.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i can't imagine not forcing 2-naga these days, people are so greedy for those mage aoe comps

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    What's a good counter to Knights?

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Enigma? Or possible 6 assassin with good CC.

• Options
    Dang, the change recently to allow Io to appear in the super early game feels rough. I got offered one on round 3, when if I went for it I'd literally have to field it and a single 1* unit

• Options
    Warlocks and anything is insanely powerful right now. I can't honestly remember the last time I didn't place 1 or 2 with trollock or goblock...

• Options
    well, this was quite the disgusting highroll

i didn't even have any good items; the game just handed me 3 timbersaws on round 4 and it was all go from there

• Options
  • Options
    I'm extremely confused about this news, to be honest. I guess I'll just keep playing drodo's for now and see what happens...

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I assume Valve’s version will probably have more access to the engine so they can do more stuff with it.

Like, say, more custom UI stuff so you don’t have to go through the courier controls to manipulate pieces.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also now they can include it in their pre-existing dota microtransaction infrastructure

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I assume Valve’s version will probably have more access to the engine so they can do more stuff with it.

Like, say, more custom UI stuff so you don’t have to go through the courier controls to manipulate pieces.

drodo actually fixed that in the latest quality of life patch; click-to-place is now in-game and turned on by default and works exactly like you'd want it to

i'm too used to courier controls myself so i always turn it off, but it's there

• Options
    Cautiously optimistic about a Valve version of this game. I'd love to see a game mode that somehow incorporates playing along with friends. I don't know if that would mess with the game's design too much, though.

• Options
    So yeah, Drodo's Auto Chess Mobile is out in Open Beta. You can get it on the google playstore here.

And here's a quick write-up. I played one game so far on my phone, and I gotta say it's pretty nice. It's hard to get used to the new names and models of the heroes, but it's 100% the same game with faster loading and a better interface since it's built for the game. Wait time took like 9 seconds, everyone loaded very quickly, and the time between rounds is very fast, so I'd expect to lose base on that alone for the first round or two.

I'm trying it out on MEmu soon so I can stream it. I'll update on how that goes.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Yeah I had my doubts about the quality of the mobile game but someone from work downloaded it and I have to say I'm pretty impressed
    The UI is quick and snappy, the graphics are pretty good for a mobile/tablet game and match making always succeeds. The only drawback is having to relearn the units, having no easy way to survey opponents and the fact that it is still a 15-30 min game but now on mobile. Overall pretty good if you already like auto chess

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png