Options

at] the [chat] the [chat] the [chat] the [ch

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Imma go back and get some more guys, I think. Sell some of this crap and buy myself some better gear.

Just don’t move, Raedric. And don’t look in your dungeon. And don’t install new traps or anything.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    all that cocaine energy

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Imma go back and get some more guys, I think. Sell some of this crap and buy myself some better gear.

Just don’t move, Raedric. And don’t look in your dungeon. And don’t install new traps or anything.

I think I wound up cheezing it with the NPC mage that runs on Focus or whatever instead of spells

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm still kind of annoyed by Raedric, I missed a quest notification so the end of the game was
    And then the undead Raedric killed everyone in Gilded Vale, if only someone had done something
    And I'm like...what
    He sends you a letter in act 2 saying, basically, "rarr, I'm back and now I'm a VAMPIRE come fight me under the flagpole" and I think he actually gives you like a 30 day deadline after receipt of the letter to come find him and fight

the letter may have gotten lost in the shuffle of all the other quest notifications that drop on you in Act 2 (which now includes all the DLC stuff on top of everything else)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

I think I wound up cheezing it with the NPC mage that runs on Focus or whatever instead of spells

I’ll go back when I’m level fuck and I’m riding a dragon.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hopefully Division 2 is mostly about growing wheat at all the little encampments
    Division 2 Season Pass
    Year Two

All threats have been neutralized and now it's just Stardew Valley

Press X to hang up your rifle

Press RB to give your post-collapse craft beer a peppy, lightly patriotic name

Use the left stick to apply a label sticker onto the bottle of Hefeweizen

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I’ll go back when I’m level fuck and I’m riding a dragon.

But by the time you can one-shot him, the XP and all the loot he drops will be useless to you.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I know there was a closed division 2 beta, is the game good? Is there still a rad turret I can put down?

I am itching to go home and play but also partially because work is crazy today and I am feeling overwhelmed

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

oh @Bogart have you messed with the weapon and armor enchanting systems at all?

it's pretty easy; you don't need to go to a "forge" or a "lab" or anything like you often do in these sorts of games. Just open up the weapon/armor description window and if there's a little button at the bottom that says ENCHANT, you can click it and do so, right on the spot. Even in the middle of a dungeon.

The Enchant menu offers a big long list of potential buffs to apply (fire, ice, +damage, resist such-and-such, etc). Those cost some amount of items, usually the random flowers, monster parts, and alchemical reagents you find in the world and probably have a sack full of. You can apply a certain number of enchantments; more powerful ones take up more "slots."

The very highest-level enchantments require rare materials like a dragon's scale or whatever (and those materials are rare - you only get one or two of them in the entire game), but the first several tiers only require common everyday items you can get anywhere.

I avoided engaging with the system for like the first 30 hours I played, partly just because there was so much else going on, but things got so much better once I finally did.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I never found the first fight at the keep hard but...
    I always sneak in through the sewers or climbing the wall. Talk my way into a key for the secret door to him. And then kill him before anyone knows I am there. Then I loot the whole castle as nothing is aggressive anymore. Always treated that as the end boss for Act 1 anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    In playing tom Clancy games I usually find their politics amusingly by-committee bland compared to their actual reputations whereas a lot of shooters considered unpolitical can be frankly much more problematic (CoD etc)

The politics by-committee means there is a ton of extremely problematic stuff. The substanceless rah rah American patriotism mixed with "boo rules and corrupt government people getting in our way" and "it is A-OK to kill these drug smugglers, brown people, etc." stuff is both bland and problematic.

It is like how Farcry 5's nihilism is the result of playing it safe.

I guess we would have to start taking specific games here because this does not describe Division 1 or the parts of Division 2 shown thus far at all

Ghost Recon wildlands had zero American patriotism, but you did kill drug smugglers at the behest of the local government

Rainbow six is just “stop the bomb or free the hostage” most of the time

Farcry’s cavalier attitude towards depictions of torture and the games’ general tenor overall strike me as a hundred times more gross than Tom Clancy games of the last few years

I only finished about 3/4 of it but I thought Farcry 3 made your character look like a dick who had dissociated from the reality of trying to save your friends and gotten in way over your head.

I remember your handler in the first area seemed like an important guy you should listen to at first, and then seemed pathetic after the last quest he gives.

Basically giving you a "you fuckin did it guy! You killed a bunch of random dudes. Don't you feel special" vibe.

It did not seem to glorify violence.

Far cry is fucking weird

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I just got out of a job interview at a big classy-ass firm and the interviewer was like, "love your energy blah blah blah but you gotta wait till I finish my sentence to answer... I know you're actively listening and want to jump in and you have great answers and ideas but it's something people notice"

We joked around a bit after and then I realized I was interrupting at the end for every single sentence of the post-interview jokey period

*vow of contemplative silence*

Ahhhh my life

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Winky wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I just got out of a job interview at a big classy-ass firm and the interviewer was like, "love your energy blah blah blah but you gotta wait till I finish my sentence to answer... I know you're actively listening and want to jump in and you have great answers and ideas but it's something people notice"

We joked around a bit after and then I realized I was interrupting at the end for every single sentence of the post-interview jokey period

*vow of contemplative silence*

Ahhhh my life

this is me and nina

and unsurprisingly, the kids have started doing it too

and then we hypocritically correct them on it because we want them to be better than us

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    I wonder if it’s all the text I consume that makes me such an impatient conversational partner.

I have to make a conscious effort not to try to speed-read people and like listen like a normal human being instead.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh good, there are many of us.

I can blame this place.

It's all your fault.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Oh good, there are many of us.

I can blame this place.

It's all.

my fault yes I totally agree

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    In playing tom Clancy games I usually find their politics amusingly by-committee bland compared to their actual reputations whereas a lot of shooters considered unpolitical can be frankly much more problematic (CoD etc)

The politics by-committee means there is a ton of extremely problematic stuff. The substanceless rah rah American patriotism mixed with "boo rules and corrupt government people getting in our way" and "it is A-OK to kill these drug smugglers, brown people, etc." stuff is both bland and problematic.

It is like how Farcry 5's nihilism is the result of playing it safe.

I guess we would have to start taking specific games here because this does not describe Division 1 or the parts of Division 2 shown thus far at all

Ghost Recon wildlands had zero American patriotism, but you did kill drug smugglers at the behest of the local government

Rainbow six is just “stop the bomb or free the hostage” most of the time

Farcry’s cavalier attitude towards depictions of torture and the games’ general tenor overall strike me as a hundred times more gross than Tom Clancy games of the last few years

I only finished about 3/4 of it but I thought Farcry 3 made your character look like a dick who had dissociated from the reality of trying to save your friends and gotten in way over your head.

I remember your handler in the first area seemed like an important guy you should listen to at first, and then seemed pathetic after the last quest he gives.

Basically giving you a "you fuckin did it guy! You killed a bunch of random dudes. Don't you feel special" vibe.

It did not seem to glorify violence.

Far cry is fucking weird

I never played it, but having viewed the ending,
    it's kind of an interesting take on the game a la Spec Ops - that engaging in the content is inherently damaging, you weren't going to shoot your way to a happy ending and that you should have turned it off

I think that exists as an interesting counterpoint to Wolfenstein TNC, with it's really on-the-nose catharsis violence against fascists. I think FC5 is punishing that mindset, given the promo materials of shooting up a bunch Last Supper evangelicals.

But it's kind of a mean trick, where Spec Ops puts the work in throughout the game

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well maybe if people got to the fucking point faster.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Look we could drop a lot of syllables from the english language

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Ugh I do this too

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Text is fast but impersonal, speech is slow but personable

If only we could have a subtitled existence

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Imagine ever conversing and not walking away feeling like you did a bad job smdh

• Options
    My issue I work customer service for real estate agents. So people who's entire life stems from never getting to the fucking point, who will call for a fax number and give you a story about their god damn dog.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Wooo maxed out sick time last pay period while I had the flu and went over but no one in HR said anything so I get a surprise 800 dollar pay check. Neat!

@Styrofoam Sammich didn't someone else here recently get fucked because the company over payed them, and then demanded getting that money back?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    So uh there's a Twitch Sings game that I signed up for. It's going to let me sing songs on my stream and potentially enter to win a whole trip to europe for a singing contest kind of deal.

I am prepared to embarrass myself on the internet.

Moreso than I already have I guess.

• Options
    Work meetings are a particular struggle for me

Because, like, we're losing efficiency here, the faster I can express that I understand what they're saying the better!

But also I need my coworkers to know that I respect them and also like not plow right through potentially critical nuance

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Because, like, we're losing efficiency here, the faster I can express that I understand what they're saying the better!

But also I need my coworkers to know that I respect them and also like not plow right through potentially critical nuance

When was the last time the nuance was critical

sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I do that too and I did notice you doing it, Eddy, but it just made me feel like I had license to do it as well

Maybe if people didn't slowly dribble such PREDICTABLE SENTENCES out of their mouths...

• Options

When was the last time the nuance was critical

I mean, nuance is critical all of the time, the amount of time that critical nuance is expressed in meetings...less so

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It's only critical in languages where the conjugation is at the end of sentences desu.....ka?

Tabemas...en!

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I hate in person meetings for the most part. Do it through email, that way I can read your shit and make a comment or proposal from there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So uh there's a Twitch Sings game that I signed up for. It's going to let me sing songs on my stream and potentially enter to win a whole trip to europe for a singing contest kind of deal.

Is that the one that's like, either developed or co-developed by harmonix? I think I remember seeing news about that around some twitch conference thing.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The gf recounts all events with needless detail and it drives me crazy, but then when I do the same thing because of my compulsive description, I can see it irritates others

This is why text is superior

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    It's fun to try and have a conversation using only glottal stops

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Did ya'll not see the debate about waiting vs interruptional cultures that got real trendy in tech circles a few years ago?

Anyway waiting is bad and akin to allowing your conversation partner to slowly choke you out which might be your thing I guess?

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I hate in person meetings for the most part. Do it through email, that way I can read your shit and make a comment or proposal from there.

In person meetings are garbage because no written record means you can't rely on instructions or decisions from superiors and can't provide evidence of your own work

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Sometimes when someone is going on and on and they clearly don’t want me to respond yet, but also I feel uncomfortable doing lots of nods and uh huhs and sures...

Sometimes when that happens I wish I were elsewhere ^_^;

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Is that the one that's like, either developed or co-developed by harmonix? I think I remember seeing news about that around some twitch conference thing.

Looking at the twitchsings twitter, it kinda looks like it but I don't see harmonix branding on there. I always do vocals in rock band and was in choir/musicals and whatnot so this sounds fun! I can't play any instruments, but I have some pipes damnit!

• Options
    The gf recounts all events with needless detail and it drives me crazy, but then when I do the same thing because of my compulsive description, I can see it irritates others

This is why text is superior

porp constantly gives me shit for going into needless detail and yet whenever we're swapping good stories with friends she's all "shark tell them you tell it better"

I see you

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Sometimes when someone is going on and on and they clearly don’t want me to respond yet, but also I feel uncomfortable doing lots of nods and uh huhs and sures...

Sometimes when that happens I wish I were elsewhere ^_^;

Sometimes this happens to me and then the person finishes and then begins reiterating what they just spent 10 minutes telling me and I hear my mind begin to scream.

This discussion has been closed.