Options

[Dead or Alive 6 & X3] Stop sniggering at the back there

JazzJazz Registered User regular
edited April 2019 in Games and Technology
What do you get if you cross a Tyrannosaurus Rex:

1w8463ab3wwa.jpg

...with a burning pirate ship:

48yxmgqovk37.jpg

...and a good healthy serving of cheesecake?

vp9nzdt541db.jpg

That's right, it's everyone's* favourite fighting game (and occasional beach volleyball/vacation simulator, and even once jet-ski racing game) series, Dead or Alive, now back for Dead or Alive 6, the 24th instalment in the series [citation needed]! Releasing on March 1st for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam!

* - may not be everyone's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYRKkc6GGI

I've never heard of this game! What's it all about?
While there is a massive overarching (and largely incomprehensible) plot involving feuding ninja clans, evil corporations, cloning, supernatural beings, a recurring martial arts tournament and so on, the core of the game involves beautifully rendered characters (specialising in assorted different martial arts) beating the ever-loving shit out of each other in an assortment of elaborate arenas. Unlike most games of its ilk, these arenas often feature hidden areas and danger zones for you to pummel your opponent into, adding a small element of exploration and the need to be aware of hazards.

Is there seriously a T-rex?
Yes. But in a glaring oversight, it's not a playable character.

That's a shame. Are there a lot of characters to choose from?
Dead or Alive 6 has a roster of 26 playable characters, from old standbys from the earliest incarnations of the series such as ninja half-sisters Kasumi and Ayane, and wrestlers Tina Armstrong and her father Bass (that's like the fish, not the low musical range), to a couple of brand new characters: Diego, a Mexican-American street fighter, and the curiously-named NiCO, a Finnish scientist with lightning attacks. More DLC characters (including fan-favourite Momiji from Ninja Gaiden, who also appeared in Dead or Alive 5: Last Round) are planned but unconfirmed.

I seem to recall something about the female characters in DOA...
Yes, you are not wrong.

But hasn't that been taken out of DOA6?
No, but it has been toned down a little because the developer & publisher are trying to get DOA6 taken a little more seriously in this world of esports and EVO. But it's an aspect that's definitely not gone. If it was, surely Christie's unlockable leather get-up would have been removed; instead it's now available in multiple colours. There just might be fewer absurd physics-defying swimsuits this time around.

Wasn't there a DOA movie once?
Yes, it's officially called DOA: Dead or Alive (which does make it slightly easier to find in internet searches), it came out in 2006, and for my money it's the best bad movie you'll ever see. Various characters from the games are invited to a martial arts tournament that's all a cover for Eric Roberts to use nanobots to upload everyone's fighting styles into a pair of sunglasses so he can use them for his own ends. Five minutes in there's a hang-glider escape sequence involving a thrown sword. Seriously. It's terrible but in a truly brilliant kind of way. The action is actually not bad, and it's genuinely funny. It even has a volleyball scene. It does everything but turn to the camera and wink at you. I love it so much.

Can we talk about the other DOA games in here?
Of course! Just be careful with potential NSFW screenshots, and you're good!

Jazz on
«13456

Posts

  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    So DOA6 won't be at EVO, but I'm not terribly surprised. The stunt they pulled at EVO Japan left a pretty bad taste in Joey's mouth.

    Still, EVO really helps propel games for good longevity with healthy player bases, so it is a shame. DOA6 looks like a pretty great fighter that I'd like to see at more tourneys.

    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It seems like it was well received over the demo weekend. Im thinking i might do the preorder tonight on ps4 for the extra character. Also im assuming ps4 will be the most popular platform, in addition to my pc only being able to use a wifi connection due to the layout of the apartment.

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm getting it on Xbox... it's always been an Xbox series for me, at least since I properly got into it with the glorious DOA3.

    So DOA6 won't be at EVO, but I'm not terribly surprised. The stunt they pulled at EVO Japan left a pretty bad taste in Joey's mouth.

    Still, EVO really helps propel games for good longevity with healthy player bases, so it is a shame. DOA6 looks like a pretty great fighter that I'd like to see at more tourneys.

    We'll see how it goes, but I think there's a valid point to be made that that's apparently beyond the pale, but the staggering violence and gore on display in MK is just fine. (Yes, I'm aware that it's MK's thing, and I'm not being a prude about that. I just think it's a glaring double standard.)

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good OP, Jazz! Better than I would've done.

    I didn't even realize there was a DOA5 thread. And considering about 99% of my multiplayer will be on-couch rather than online, and I don't follow EVO, I doubt I'll be in this thread much.

    Still, good OP Jazz!

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That's a pretty good OP, Jazz! Better than I would've done.

    I didn't even realize there was a DOA5 thread. And considering about 99% of my multiplayer will be on-couch rather than online, and I don't follow EVO, I doubt I'll be in this thread much.

    Still, good OP Jazz!

    Thanks! I don't follow EVO or anything either (although it was worth a mention in the OP), and because I hate how the lag messes up my timing, I very rarely play fighting games online - I played a few matches in the DOA6 demo because what else was I going to do with it, and I think it was the first time literally since DOA4 came out - so I'm probably in a similar boat. But there will probably need to be discussions around the minutiae of the mechanics, and so on, and so forth... I hope I can get some couch multiplayer in eventually, but I've not exactly got people nearby beating down the door. I'd love to have a "DOA history" night, sort of thing, bust out the old ones and have a few fights on each one before moving on to the next, but I think I'll probably be on my own doing that... oh well.

    Cheers for the props! Yeah, I just had to come up with an angle (pictures of stages first, then eventually the "what do you get if...") and then it all flowed pretty easily.

    I did go hunting to see if there was another thread, and yeah, there was a DOA5 one preceding the first release of 5. It made it to eight pages and hasn't been seen since 2012. This one will probably do similarly well at best, but even so, I'm looking forward to this game, I love this series, and I thought it deserved a thread rather than just hijacking the Xbox one again! :lol:

    Jazz on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I preordered DoA6 for the xbonks and I hope that my power will come back on in the next few days so I can play it (We got 19 inches of snow in 2 days locally, which is more than we usually get in 10 years. To put it simply, our emergency services are working at capacity and then some)

    But complaints about the fickleness of Mother Nature aside, I liked what I saw in the demo and am looking forward to once again failing to git gud.

    You have also reminded me that I actually own DOA: Dead Or Alive, The Hit Motion Picture of The Game and that I should really watch it one of these days. I think it was like four bucks on Vudu and I’m sure it will turn out to have been worth it. I have a soft spot for video game film adaptations. I’ve even adopted the “Bloodrayne Quality Test”, where I watch bad movies and then ask myself whether they were worse than “Bloodrayne: The Movie”.

    Many movies fail the BQT.

    Also the story is not hard to follow. You have a ninja and an evil corporation wants to clone the ninja to make bioengineered super soldiers to sell to other evil corporations and also Phase 4 who is Kasumi’s Nobody who wants to seize control of Kingdom Hearts.

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I feel confident in saying that DOA is a significantly better movie than BR. It's not good, at least in the traditional sense, but it's a hell of a lot of fun which is more than can be said for the turgid BR.

    Jesus, BR was bad. So bad.

    (Side note: Natassia Malthe, who played Rayne in the second and third BloodRayne movies, plays Ayane in DOA.)

    I hope you get your power on soon, @baudattitude . At least then you can play some games while you're snowed in! Stay safe and warm.

    Edit: now you've got me wondering about a bad movie appreciation thread. The regular movie thread tends to go more for good movies :lol:

    Jazz on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Any word on whether they might reactivate the demo? Or is it just taking up 20GB of my hard drive now?

    They had one in January, too, apparently. Did that get reactivated for this latest demo period, or did you have to download the game twice?

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I didn't hear about the January one. But I doubt the demo will be reactivated, you can get rid of it.


    Guess what just showed up, a day early! Thank you, Shopto.net :)

    fc9gsg1ly7w5.jpg

  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    How many Kasumi clones are in this one?

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It couldn't have gone to a more deserving person, @Jazz . The closest I can claim was when I played a really early release of DOA2 on Dreamcast in Taiwan before the officially launched.
    Arteen wrote: »
    How many Kasumi clones are in this one?

    Same as the last one. Actually maybe even one less. Two is the ideal number, you can compensate for her two different voice actresses. :lol:

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think it's "just" Phase 4 and Alpha-152.

    So, one absolutely fine, one... not. :lol:

    Edit: currently Phase 4 is on the character selection screen, but locked. Alpha-152 isn't there, but I'm 99% sure she's in the game. She just might not be a playable character this time around. Which is probably just as well.

    Jazz on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's new - character specific intros! I'm playing as Helena in arcade mode, and Kokoro says "I will not make this easy, even for you, Helena"! That's awesome :+1:

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wow, I'd be pretty surprised if Alpha-152 made it into the game, but not as a playable character. Though I guess they might just use her a boss again (Team Ninja: "Yes, we know DOA4 was the last really amazing release and we're going to keep riding its coattails.")

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow, I'd be pretty surprised if Alpha-152 made it into the game, but not as a playable character. Though I guess they might just use her a boss again (Team Ninja: "Yes, we know DOA4 was the last really amazing release and we're going to keep riding its coattails.")

    I think that's all she is. And you know, that's fine. She's a broken character at the best of times and just bullshit at worst (in finest DOA boss tradition).

    There's a massive problem (for the likes of us) with the game that I've only just spotted - there is no online lobby mode. Like, at all. The demo at least had it greyed out under Online from the main menu. In the full game it just isn't there, all that's listed under Online is Ranked Match.

    That seems too crazy to be an oversight, but I REALLY hope it gets patched in. Sure, I won't use it much but I would like to play in a friendly lobby with you guys (and another friend who's still considering picking up the game but most likely later when it gets a sale price).

    Still, it's a day before release; it's not inconceivable that it'll be in a day one patch. I'm a little worried that it's not listed in the online manual in its menu breakdown, either.

    (Edit: a bit of Googling says that the lobby IS coming. Not sure when, but soon. Hopefully tomorrow. But apparently definitely March.)

    The other thing I hope gets improved is the loading times. They're pretty long, even between matches. DOA has always rightly been known for very quick and often instant loading - even DOA3 loaded up and cached the next character and stage as you played and that was eighteen goddamn years ago - so I really hope that gets improved.

    Also the costume unlock method this time around is bullshit (it involves earning costume "pieces" and random unlocks, and currently it seems the new DOA Quest mode is the best way to do that). No just hammering through arcade mode - you do earn for that but it seems like you earn far less, like, 4 pieces instead of 200 for a DOA Quest stage (full costumes vary from 200 to 1000+ each). Still, DOA Quest seems good so far, sort of a mission based thing not a million miles away from what Soul Calibur has previously done.

    So, while there's definitely a few questionable decisions going on, thankfully the actual fighting is great, and it's gorgeous to behold. Just be sure to go into DOA Central > Wardrobe and set a main fighter in there! (A/X to select the character, then X/Square to set, it's not super clear in the game.)

    Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow, I'd be pretty surprised if Alpha-152 made it into the game, but not as a playable character. Though I guess they might just use her a boss again (Team Ninja: "Yes, we know DOA4 was the last really amazing release and we're going to keep riding its coattails.")

    I think that's all she is. And you know, that's fine. She's a broken character at the best of times and just bullshit at worst (in finest DOA boss tradition).

    There's a massive problem (for the likes of us) with the game that I've only just spotted - there is no online lobby mode. Like, at all. The demo at least had it greyed out under Online from the main menu. In the full game it just isn't there, all that's listed under Online is Ranked Match.

    That seems too crazy to be an oversight, but I REALLY hope it gets patched in. Sure, I won't use it much but I would like to play in a friendly lobby with you guys (and another friend who's still considering picking up the game but most likely later when it gets a sale price).

    Still, it's a day before release; it's not inconceivable that it'll be in a day one patch. I'm a little worried that it's not listed in the online manual in its menu breakdown, either.

    (Edit: a bit of Googling says that the lobby IS coming. Not sure when, but soon. Hopefully tomorrow. But apparently definitely March.)

    The other thing I hope gets improved is the loading times. They're pretty long, even between matches. DOA has always rightly been known for very quick and often instant loading - even DOA3 loaded up and cached the next character and stage as you played and that was eighteen goddamn years ago - so I really hope that gets improved.

    Also the costume unlock method this time around is bullshit (it involves earning costume "pieces" and random unlocks, and currently it seems the new DOA Quest mode is the best way to do that). No just hammering through arcade mode - you do earn for that but it seems like you earn far less, like, 4 pieces instead of 200 for a DOA Quest stage (full costumes vary from 200 to 1000+ each). Still, DOA Quest seems good so far, sort of a mission based thing not a million miles away from what Soul Calibur has previously done.

    So, while there's definitely a few questionable decisions going on, thankfully the actual fighting is great, and it's gorgeous to behold. Just be sure to go into DOA Central > Wardrobe and set a main fighter in there! (A/X to select the character, then X/Square to set, it's not super clear in the game.)

    Let's be completely fair here, she's not a SNK final boss or anything. And Tengu isn't half as annoying as Ein on the same difficulty. Though yes, that might be for the better.

    I could imagine that the overall lobby mechanic to be different, sure, but yeah, the absence of a proper party competitive mode is worrying--maybe it is just deactivated at the moment. And a little surprising--as a 3D fighting franchise, Dead or Alive was one of the first games to embrace modern online functionality with DOA2U. Well, let's hope we're not waiting long.

    The loading times are a bummer--I wonder if they're hardware based, or just bullshit sloppiness like Namco with SoulCalibur VI. It had problematically long load times not for stages, but weapon inventories that was especially prevalent in fighter-creation mode where you switched between weapon sets but not characters, and only on Xbox One (including XB1X). Curiously, DF didn't encounter it in their breakdown, and it was patched, so now load times on Xbox One X are shorter than on Playstation 4.

    The weird thing is, loading times were pretty encouraging in the demo! They actually let you skip past the opening video sequences and straight to the menu, and you don't have DOA5LR's excruciating long beginning-of-game costume catalog check (that could change). But I also had the demo installed to low-to-mid range SSD, rather than the internal drive, which likely had some impact (or at least I thought I did).

    My copy shipped out today, and I'll have it by...tomorrow! Friday launches, huh? So I'll share my technical findings when I get it.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I preordered it for ps4. Hopefully the load times arent too bad. Its one of the things that annoys me about sc6. But thats always more of an issue on console than pc, but pc communities always die so fast.

  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Y'know, I hate waiting for deliveries to show up.

    What I hate more, though? Preordering a digital game and having to wait for the Steam activation code >.<

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Y'know, I hate waiting for deliveries to show up.

    What I hate more, though? Preordering a digital game and having to wait for the Steam activation code >.<

    There's one thing I hate more than that - waiting for a Steam pre-load to unpack. It's faster just to wait until whatever it is is actually out and then download it.
    Yes, I still use a spinning platter drive that practically all of my games live on. In my defence, it's an SSHD. Even fucking so, the unpack times are ridiculous.

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    A fight I had earlier as Christie vs Rig. It turned into utter bedlam in this particular stage so I captured it for posterity.

    https://youtu.be/jQXoHggdcew

  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wait, the game is also in English?

    That dumb joke aside, for a basic Xbox One the level's lighting and shadows look very nice. I'll try and remind myself to take a suitable video at some point so we can make a very unscientific comparison.

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Also, certainly for comparison purposes, I should say pay no attention to the framerate. The game was running at a solid 60 the whole time, but the Xbox doesn't appear to record it at 60, unfortunately.

  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Now I'm getting a little nervous. It's now 2200 hours and no Steam key in sight. This ain't instilling me with great confidence in prepurchasing from GMG.

    After midnight EDIT - woo! GMG delivered! Sure, 15 minutes late isn't great...but at least it's loading now.

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    GMG are usually a bit quicker than that, IIRC - but glad you got it!

    Do let us know how the port is :)

    Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Also, certainly for comparison purposes, I should say pay no attention to the framerate. The game was running at a solid 60 the whole time, but the Xbox doesn't appear to record it at 60, unfortunately.

    Excellent--I remember you describing some issues during the demo, or someone did, so that's good news.

    I always assume Youtube is going to add some significant compression and framerate change when us proletariat upload to it, so that's I went to lighting as the thing to look for. If you have the space, Xbox's own clip sharing is pretty good at preserving quality (even if the end user will have trouble getting it not to auto-compress), I might try using that when I upload.

    Shockingly, sharing true 2160p/60hz clips is still difficult today. And people wonder why I have my doubts about gameplay streaming Halo Infinite to a Switch or any other device.

  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I did mention the framerate in the demo; you can prioritize framerate or resolution in the options. Switching to the latter on a base Xbone does look like it drops below 30fps, but it's still playable. But the former is definitely the way to go for 60fps, and the resolution scaling is less noticeable in the full game than it was in the demo.

    Results will obviously vary on other models of Xbone.

    Jazz on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I have a question for you all who have played this and 5. I never got 5 because I am not sure what the heck is going on (is it free? Is it pay? You have to buy other characters?). So to be certain, if I buy 6 do I get the game with pretty much all the characters to play with like the old days?

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Well there are going to be extra characters you can buy as dlc, but the starting cast is pretty good.

  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    6 is a complete package. They’ll be releasing an ala carte version later.

  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Great, I'm glad to hear this. Now to debate on buying it now or waiting a bit... I always enjoyed the DoA series for fun arena levels.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There is a complete version of 5, too; it's hard to find in amongst all the DLC on the Xbox store and the price is far too high for its age, but grab it cheap on disc and you're all set. (There's only two DLC characters not included.)

    6 is going to have an F2P release in due course - that's obvious from how it installs, with a ton of entries for most characters - but it's not available like that yet.

    If you want all the characters, the full games are a far better value proposition. If you just want one or two mains, the F2P version is fine (the full cast are still available to the AI or online opponents with the full version.)
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Great, I'm glad to hear this. Now to debate on buying it now or waiting a bit... I always enjoyed the DoA series for fun arena levels.

    Dooooooo eeeeeeet :twisted:

    Jazz on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's sooooooo pretty! I only dinked around for 15 minutes last night (just enough to get to rank 2 in bot battles), but everything feels smooth and responsive. The one port issue that I can spot, though, is that there are no detailed graphics settings to fiddle with. It kinda makes me think that there's some kind of dynamic settings based on auto-detected system components at work (kinda like the Dynamic settings in the PC Forza games) to keep the game running well (provided you meet the minimum requirements). Hopefully a patch will be forthcoming that opens up more granular settings tinkering.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Does it support 1440p natively? And borderless fullscreen?

    Jazz on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    Does it support 1440p natively? And borderless fullscreen?

    I'm going to say yes

    EDIT2 - Okay, still going to say yes

    bcnnht196fn1.jpg

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Well that puts it above the DOA5LR port right there. <3

    (That, crazily, supports 1080p and native 4K but not 1440p without a mod! And it's caused the odd issue for me when switching resolutions when Firefox is also running, which nothing else does. It's a shame, because the game runs really well otherwise.)

    Jazz on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    There is a complete version of 5, too; it's hard to find in amongst all the DLC on the Xbox store and the price is far too high for its age, but grab it cheap on disc and you're all set. (There's only two DLC characters not included.)

    6 is going to have an F2P release in due course - that's obvious from how it installs, with a ton of entries for most characters - but it's not available like that yet.

    If you want all the characters, the full games are a far better value proposition. If you just want one or two mains, the F2P version is fine (the full cast are still available to the AI or online opponents with the full version.)
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Great, I'm glad to hear this. Now to debate on buying it now or waiting a bit... I always enjoyed the DoA series for fun arena levels.

    Dooooooo eeeeeeet :twisted:

    But... But I have a PS4... So is this complete version called DoA 5 Last Round? I was looking and am still confused. Honestly I passed on the F2P versions since I'm still a bit old school where I like buying a game with almost everything on the disc. I say almost these days since I at least have come to terms with DLC. I do appreciate it when companies make a complete game release later on though.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yes, Last Round is the mostly full game (it's only missing the DLC costumes and fighters that were added later like Mai Shiranui and Naotora 2).

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Woo. Looks like I have to go shopping.

    Edit: Also just got an email from Steam saying DoA6 is live and on sale...

    Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Yes, Last Round is the mostly full game (it's only missing the DLC costumes and fighters that were added later like Mai Shiranui and Naotora 2).

    Yeah, this. On Steam, PS4 & Xbox One, DOA5: Last Round is the full game; DOA5: Last Round: Core Fighters is the F2P game. The full version of DOA5LR includes everything except Mai, Naotora and the eleventy billion downloadable costumes.

    Core Fighters does serve as a useful demo version, as it goes, and is fully compatible with the full game. It more or less is the full game but with no story mode and only four playable characters (although it sometimes offers a couple more for free temporarily).

    Jazz on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So is there any real reason to pick up DoA6 if you have DoA5? From what I've seen, it doesn't look like there's really been any gameplay changes and it's mostly just an engine upgrade and some swapped characters.

    Stabbity_Style.png
Sign In or Register to comment.