As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] A Generation of War

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It hasn't happened in a long time, but there have been talks. Greece talked about selling off islands to pay debts, and Maldives talked about buying some as they are at risk from sea level rise.

Outside proposals have been made for China to resolve territorial disputes by paying Japan and the Philippines to give up conflicting claims, and China has used economic means to sorta kinda but out of the Kashmir clusterfuck even as they occupy a sliver of the area as well.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I can't get through the WSJ's paywall so I can't tell if there's even a vague hint of Danish interest in selling the place.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I was just coming to ask about this. It literally feels like an Onion article.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind visiting Greenland

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Who would you even buy it from and what about the people there now? Do they get the US territory treatment?

This is assuming it’s at all possible of course.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Who would you even buy it from and what about the people there now? Do they get the US territory treatment?

From Denmark as a sovereign territory purchase, not as in real estate. Details are negotiated in the sale, but generally private property is retained by it's owners, residents get citizenship, and local government becomes the new territorial government.

Sovereign territory purchases are a weird thing and not at all like real estate. They used to be super common, bit they're basically unheard of now.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Greenland is 88 percent Inuit. I'm sure they'd be just thrilled to leave the protection of the EU and place themselves under the tender mercies of the United States.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It’s paywalled but why would you buy Greenland, and why would they sell it?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hevach wrote: »

From Denmark as a sovereign territory purchase, not as in real estate. Details are negotiated in the sale, but generally private property is retained by it's owners, residents get citizenship, and local government becomes the new territorial government.

Sovereign territory purchases are a weird thing and not at all like real estate. They used to be super common, bit they're basically unheard of now.

Trump’s Louisiana Purchase...

I can’t read the article...is this because these assholes want to profit off climate change

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Almost certainly. Greenland will actually be green, at the rate we're going... about the same time all the southern states catch fire and the last little bit of the Florida sandbar slips beneath the waves.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

Greenland is estimated to have up to 13% of the world's undiscovered oil and 30% of the undiscovered natural gas.

• Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular

Greenland is estimated to have up to 13% of the world's undiscovered oil and 30% of the undiscovered natural gas.

The faster to melt it with, in order to get to the last nooks and crannies!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Trump’s Louisiana Purchase...

I can’t read the article...is this because these assholes want to profit off climate change

I didn't get pay-walled for some reason.

It's basically idle musing in private, motivations are natural resources / strategic defense value.

Hope I didn't just waste a limited free article on that.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Why not do the usual thing and send your companies to prospect etc.

Unless Denmark objects due to environmental impact - in which case they probably wouldn’t sell anyway. And if they did it’d have to be oh so expensive anyway. Map projections I know but it’s still a huge landmass.

An island that big can’t be worth less than exactly all liquid assets in the global economy.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Also expanding our claims in the Arctic beyond Alaska.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Trump is not satisfied with US being 3rd largest country by land area

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/trumps-perfidy-israels-self-own/596212/

Tldr: Trump and Bibi are using the congresswoman ban to increase own election chances at expense of politicizing support for Israel, which used to be a bipartisan guarantee.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Greenland has a lot of natural resources that will probably be accessible as the ice melts. It's also very important piece in US early warning systems. There's the GIUK Gap (Greenland Iceland United Kingdom), which is basically a line drawn across the three islands to keep the Russians out of the Atlantic in case of a war. The US also lost an atomic bomb up there at an air base we had called Thule.

As for the question of could we buy it? The relationship between Greenland and the Kingdom of Denmark.....is complicated.

Basically there's a lot of reasons why the US would want Greenland, but frankly it's as far out there is admitting Israel as the 51st state.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/trumps-perfidy-israels-self-own/596212/

Tldr: Trump and Bibi are using the congresswoman ban to increase own election chances at expense of politicizing support for Israel, which used to be a bipartisan guarantee.

And then Trump immediately makes Bibi look like a stooge.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Bibi already has been making this a right wing issue. He visited the GOP congress during Obama's years. If only democrats in this country would recognize this and cut funding for a country working with only one party.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Trump is not satisfied with US being 3rd largest country by land area

Jesus fucking Christ of course he cares if we’re bigger than Canada....fuuuuuuuu

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Bibi picked a side halfway through Obamas term. If Isreal isn't careful it'll look like the country as a whole has.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    So here we see how gutless the Dem leadership is. If Pelosi doesn't back her congress people and chooses to support israel fuck you that's a problem.

There you go.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Why would Trump care about Greenland’s strategic value? The main nation it would help defend against is not an enemy, as far as Trump’s concerned.

I also assume he wants to put in a golf course or two.

Dumbass probably thinks if the US buys it, he gets it, because he’s president.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The obvious (if crazy, and yet here we are) thing would be a place for the wealthiest Americans to move once the rest of the country starts getting too warm and/or full of rioting poors.

The outrageous (and yet here we are) thing would be for him to want to rename it Trumpland.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Galt's Gulchland?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Why would Trump care about Greenland’s strategic value? The main nation it would help defend against is not an enemy, as far as Trump’s concerned.

I also assume he wants to put in a golf course or two.

Dumbass probably thinks if the US buys it, he gets it, because he’s president.

First Mexico and now Greenland...is Trump confusing a game of Risk with reality? If he starts ranting about invaders pouring into Alaska from Kamchatka, we will have our answer.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    More like Civ with all the boring victory conditions turned off and nobody will give him a proper war. So now he's stuck with the wrong government and can't get it to change fast enough and sure he can send a rocket to Mars but that whole victory path is turned off, wtf now!?

The REAL answer, I think, is legacy: He didn't get any of the things he wanted, failed at the things he got, but even he can remember President Louisiana and President Alaska for expanding the country.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    More like Civ with all the boring victory conditions turned off and nobody will give him a proper war.

Whenever I try to go for the culture victory, Montezuma always invades.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Denmark has a great economy and content population. The only reason they'd sell a territory is at gunpoint. It'd be very funny for Trump to declare war on the one of the most peaceful countries in Europe.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    WaPo's article on the Greenland thing (for those of you who are stymied by the WSJ's paywall or at least want a different paywall) suggests that it's something he's serious about and has been going on about it for weeks to the increased bafflement of his staff. It seems to be a thing the weirder Republican presidents or candidates fixate on; I remember Pat Buchanan wanting to seize the island from Denmark back when he was politically relevant.

(New thread title: "Next Year in Nuuk"?)

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Nuking Nuuk.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Three Stooges actually in control of Government "Nuuk Nuuk Nuuk"

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I feel reasonably certain Trump thinks of it like a regular real estate purchase. He wants to put a hotel there.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Denmark has a great economy and content population. The only reason they'd sell a territory is at gunpoint. It'd be very funny for Trump to declare war on the one of the most peaceful countries in Europe.

It would put NATO article 5 to the test, for sure.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    When’s the last time Trump talked to Vlad?

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where this started.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    When’s the last time Trump talked to Vlad?

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where this started.

Sort of an "I took Crimea. You take Greenland?" type thing?

I dare anyone to flatly say it being that simple wouldn't be enough.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Wouldn't purchasing greenland increase the debt like... exponentially?

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Wouldn't purchasing greenland increase the debt like... exponentially?

Greenland is not worth 400 trillion or something.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Greenland is also a location a lot of rich pricks like Trump and his pals are looking at for luxury doomsday bunkers and shit, so they can ride out the apocalypse they've wrought in style and comfort.

This discussion has been closed.