As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    This Trendy Game business is going to see a huge net loss in profit now that I'm around.

It is definitely the snow bowling/Super Gut Check Challenge of this game (unless there is sonething later that can somehow ne abused more) in terms of raking in the ruppees and its just right there at the start.

The rupees jiggle out of the crane too frequently to be reliable unless you want to save scum every round, plus it doesn't restock unless you leave, and there is only ever one purple at a time.

Fortunately it is, generally, easier than the original version, and of the important things to get (of which there are a lot lot more than the original; you need to return and check the stock after dungeons) only the shells can really fall out of the claw. But for the generic items, they can all fall out really easy.

The best way by far for easy and fast rupees is the rapids raid after you get hook shot. It's a bit wonky with the analog stick only controls with 8 directions, but with a bit of practice it becomes pretty trivial to get everything, which is about 500 a run, minus the 100 cost is more like 400, but it should be faster than doing the crane 10 times (and that's assuming you don't have the item fall out). There's also a room in the color dungeon that is quick to get to with 100 or so rupees, but I didn't think to check if it refills if you enter and leave but I'm kind of guessing not. Anyway the drawback of the rapids ride is you have to wait awhile; on the other hand you don't need a lot of rupees for the majority of the game, and you get a lot just playing normally.

Anyway there's a bunch more stuff in this version. maybe not a bunch, but for things like the crane game, fishing, etc, there are a lot more rewards than in the original. Fishing used to have two hearts, done, but now there are several shells, a few stone tablets for the dungeon builder thing (and the dungeon builder quests have their own heart rewards and shells). There's 2 or 3 crane heart peices over the course of the game and ditto for shells. The sword reward for shells is 45 not 20 now (50 total, haven't gotten those last 5 yet). Fishing itself is now a pretty big headache, as the game doesn't teach you at all how to do it properly, and it is a lot of frustration with line breaks, and the rare fish being super rare, having very unforgiving unique break mechanics, resulting in a lot of time spent catching fish you don't need in the hope one of the three rare fish appear to maybe catch...and then you need at least two of each for all the rewards, if you're going for 100% completion (hearts and shells are from some of the rare fish on second catches, in addition to slabs and rupees).

There's also, if my math is right, 16 more heart pieces total hidden in the game to make the total 20 vs iirc 16 in the original.

So yeah, I'm two dungeons and a few fish away from 100%'ing the remake. Aside from a few frustrations (fishing, and the dungeon builder is unfortunately more of a chore than anything) it's been a delightful return to one of my favorite LoZ's. For nostalgia, it was always my favorite, but objectively LBW is the best from a pure LoZ gameplay perspective, and BotW is kind of in its own league because it is so different, even from the 3D LoZs; it is, however, one of the best games I've ever played, so in a weird way I classify it outside of the series entirely. :rotate:

The music, aside from the animal village (which might be one of the worst things my ears have been exposed to) the remakes music had been fantastic, and I can't wait to hear the ending tunes. Visually, the style is perfect, though the dramatic framerate swings are unfortunate. Apparently there's significant difference between the boxed (what I have) and digital on the internal memory? I dunno about that, but it is never not noticable, and it is never small or hidden, it's in your face all over the overworld (dungeons are smooth) and it is really distracting, and frequent. I would have preferred a fixed 30 in the overworld and 60 in dungeons, than the wildly swinging from 60-30 in nearly every area, regardless of size; and because every area is so small it's constantly transitioning. I am genuinely baffled that anyone could say this isn't a big deal or very noticable, and compare it to bloodstained. Bloodstained was 30 almost everwhere without fail and when it did drop in the tower or lava cave, it dropped to about 20 or so for small amounts of time. Consistent 30 (even if you prefer 60) vs constantly jumping between 60 and 30 multiple times every minute for the entire overworld map is so dramatically more jarring and prominent than an overall lower, but profoundly more consistent, framerate. I can't move across the main town without the framerate dumping, jumping, and dumping again 4 times, at least. It isn't just "area" transitions. It is everywhere, and heaven help you if you're inadvertently walking along what had been the border of screen transitions in the original game because thats when you really get the framerate rollercoaster, to the point that them choosing to make some areas open, might have been the biggest mistake of the remake. Yeah it helps it to feel more open, but it seems clear that the performance issues seem to be related directly to whatever the engine is doing in translating the areas to be one.

Maybe the digital version of Awakening is just that much better than the cartridge, but even if so, that is a pretty significant problem in of itself.

I mean look, it didn't make me enjoy the game much less, but it is literally something that is so dramatic, frequent, and obvious, that you never stop noticing it, ever. I just hope it gets some performance patches, because it is pretty disappointing; and believe me, I'm far from a framerate snob, but we're not taking a few frames dropped here and there or the game struggling to maintain its target. We're taking intended design shifting from 60 to 30, which is so big it is impossible to not notice. Hell, I've been playing a lot of Destiny 2 between PC and PS4 lately and I'm going from 120fps to 30fps, except that is only when I change platform, and it's consistent on each platform. The equivalent would be if I were switching between PC and PS4 several times every minute.

I know I'm really digging into this, and again I've had a great time with the game, but if you're looking into this, it is no small issue. I guess the "right" choice is to buy it digitally and only put it on internal memory, but for the rest of us, its an issue Nintendo really really needs to address. I honestly haven't ever played a game with this severe and consistently severe framerate swings, and it is so abnormal that I am going to have to force myself to stop going on about it because I could keep going, it is that baffling and distracting.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    One tiny thing missing is the rupee pick-up SFX. I can't remember exactly what it was on the GBC version but here it's just a disappointing 'ding' when it feels like it should sound more like ALTTP's/OOT's sound effect for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HZ-kj3mP5Q

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Dude with the Herpherp - I felt the same way about the slowdown. Before it came out, a lot of people had issues with it, and I kept saying for a game like this, it's not really a big deal. If it's just dipping DOWN to 30, whatever.
    But man, the way it happens to drop frames is very distracting. It isn't fun killing by any means but, as you said, I notice it CONSTANTLY because it's pretty consistently doing it. I think I'd notice it a lot less if sections dropped to 20-25 fps and stayed that way instead of the weird fluctuating.
    I have to assume (and hope) they will patch it, though.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Easter Egg for the new Link's Awakening:

Apparently there is another Easter Egg if you input Zelda as your name.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    After re-downloading to system memory, I think I’m seeing some slight improvements in load times and frame rate hitches, but it isn’t really changing how noticeable it is. Slightly faster adjustment to the transitions, but the drop is still there. I’d say it’s probably not worth the effort to switch over if you’ve already downloaded the game.

It’s definitely not a solution. It’s not hurting my enjoyment of the experience, but it does feel surprisingly rough for a big Nintendo game.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    This dungeon creator seems to have some real potential. I hope there is a way to share and play ones other people made.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I was JUST checking to see if the original version of this Easter Egg was in the game, and was overjoyed that it IS indeed still there.

Seeing that it made it in elsewhere makes my heart even warmer.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The Zelda one was in all versions of the the original, but the file select Totakeke's Song was made inaccessible in the NA versions. The German version could access it using the name "MOYSE", don't know if other EU versions were the same.

That also reminds me, try hanging out in Richard's Villa for a while and listening to what happens.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    This dungeon creator seems to have some real potential. I hope there is a way to share and play ones other people made.

It depends. Do you have a Link amiibo and the ability to physically deliver said amiibo to your friends?

It's kind of baffling how Nintendo can miss the ball this much when Mario Maker is a thing, although given the negative impressions I've heard about the dungeon builder perhaps it's for the best.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

It depends. Do you have a Link amiibo and the ability to physically deliver said amiibo to your friends?

It's kind of baffling how Nintendo can miss the ball this much when Mario Maker is a thing, although given the negative impressions I've heard about the dungeon builder perhaps it's for the best.

May just be me but it kinda seems like all the dungeon builder really helped do was make people mad that there's no Zelda Maker yet.

Especially after Miyamoto apparently did ask Aonuma to get a Zelda maker made and Aonuma was like nah that's too hard to figure out, let's just do this.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    As a kid I had no idea about the item combination system.

Just used the boots with the feather because like, that's less of a combo system and more of an "well yeah, you can run and jump"

Bomb arrows forever

Best combo is power bracelet + boomerang.
    Throw the boomerang, lift the rooster, boomerang spins around beneath you forever because it can't reach you. Flying death copter! Most enemies can't hit you and the boomering actually deals damage in this game more often than in past ones.

I hope that's in the game. And I hope it lasts forever in the overworld because no screen transitions (which broke it).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

May just be me but it kinda seems like all the dungeon builder really helped do was make people mad that there's no Zelda Maker yet.

Especially after Miyamoto apparently did ask Aonuma to get a Zelda maker made and Aonuma was like nah that's too hard to figure out, let's just do this.

I think the implementation here is partly to show people "see look, a Zelda Maker would not be as great as you think it would be."

I'm ok playing a 7-year-old's simple cruddy Mario Maker level because it's over in 30 seconds and there are lots more levels right around the corner. Zelda dungeons when made properly are long, explicitly intended to have puzzles that require a bit of thought, sometimes complex key-and-door systems, and most importantly, are built around having or gaining specific Zelda items. I don't see how that last one works if the levels are individual one-offs, and I can't imagine playing through a full 8 dungeon game made by a random person.

I don't want to play a stranger's Zelda dungeons. I barely even want to play a friend's (as much as I love my friends).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I think the implementation here is partly to show people "see look, a Zelda Maker would not be as great as you think it would be."

I'm ok playing a 7-year-old's simple cruddy Mario Maker level because it's over in 30 seconds and there are lots more levels right around the corner. Zelda dungeons when made properly are long, explicitly intended to have puzzles that require a bit of thought, sometimes complex key-and-door systems, and most importantly, are built around having or gaining specific Zelda items. I don't see how that last one works if the levels are individual one-offs, and I can't imagine playing through a full 8 dungeon game made by a random person.

I don't want to play a stranger's Zelda dungeons. I barely even want to play a friend's (as much as I love my friends).

Yeah but on the other hand Super Expert shows that people are still plenty willing to play some of the worst garbage imaginable, so I don't know if that in itself would be as much a deterrent as you think it might be. From a design perspective though it would be a challenge for sure making sure certain logic is followed like avoiding allowing advanced-level trolling such as builders making dungeons explicitly designed softlock you after you've dumped 20 minutes into it.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Learned Manbo's Mambo, I think I like the original musical number scene more than the switch version. The "Oh!" speech bubbles are needed.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah but on the other hand Super Expert shows that people are still plenty willing to play some of the worst garbage imaginable, so I don't know if that in itself would be as much a deterrent as you think it might be. From a design perspective though it would be a challenge for sure making sure certain logic is followed like avoiding allowing advanced-level trolling such as builders making dungeons explicitly designed softlock you after you've dumped 20 minutes into it.

Yeah, on that note I was looking through tcrf's Link's Awakening version differences and saw this:

EEWLUpn.png

Even the professionals make mistakes!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Goodbye, Eagle Tower. If I'm lucky I will never play you again as long as I live.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Goodbye, Eagle Tower. If I'm lucky I will never play you again as long as I live.

Out of all the dungeons in the game, Eagle's Tower is the one I'm really, REALLY not looking forward to. Fuck that place, and also the Trendy Game. Patch that shit, in the original game it was easy to just harvest everything and shit never bounced out and off into somewhere the claw couldn't get it.

Done a couple of make-your-own dungeons- if you can create a path with a lot of chests and a really easy to beat Nightmare (Moldorm, thinking Facade as well when I face off with it), you can harvest about 150-200 rupees per run and save up for stuff like the Bow in no time (it also helps that you can find green and blue rupees in grass instead of just singles this time).

Extra warp points and the fact Manbo's Mambo is now just a full warp song rather than just teleporting you to the pond outside Crazy Tracy's is so much more helpful, as is the fact there are more warp points than before.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Could you swing your sword in mid-air while jumping with Roc's Feather in the original? It seems new to me, but maybe I'd just forgotten about it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Could you swing your sword in mid-air while jumping with Roc's Feather in the original? It seems new to me, but maybe I'd just forgotten about it.

It's been a while but that sounds like something I remember doing.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm 99% sure you could. Of my few memories from way back then, I seem to recall getting great joy out of leaping off a ledge and swinging my sword in the 2d sections.

vamen on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think you could, but it was the same as a standing swipe, rather than the vertical slice you do now.

So, where are the speedruns? This thing's been out for like 48 hours already, so I'm assuming they've found a glitch to skip to the final boss by now.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The speedrun.com leaderboards are locked until the 28th so people get time to play it through casually, discuss necessary rules, etc.

Day 1 speedruns tend to be really unpolished, so the people who submit runs that early tend to just be after the free world records. That's somewhat looked down on, obviously, so I feel like these days leaderboards tend to be locked down for a week or so. For big games, at least.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Ending
    Link is fucked, right? There is no landmass in sight, and the Wind Fish is not helping him. He seems strangely unconcerned about his incredibly dire predicament.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Me last night: wow this game seems much shorter than I remember it I'm already past the third dungeon and it's only been an hour.

Narrator: it has been six hours and is now 2am.

Well this sucked me in and playing it on a TV at all is just something else

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Ending
    Link is fucked, right? There is no landmass in sight, and the Wind Fish is not helping him. He seems strangely unconcerned about his incredibly dire predicament.
    If he's one of the Links who got the flippers on his previous adventure, he can swim forever, so he's good.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ending
    He has the triforce at this point, which is more than willing to teleport him away in exchange for running some errands and saving a couple of islands.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Were you always able to buy back the item you traded for the boomerang?

Also the new music for each dungeon is so good. Face shrine is excellent.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Were you always able to buy back the item you traded for the boomerang?

Also the new music for each dungeon is so good. Face shrine is excellent.

I recall you could trade the Boomerang back, can't remember if that was in the original version or added to the GBC version.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    In the switch version I traded my shovel for the boomerang, and when I talked to the dude again he offered to sell back the shovel for 200 or 300 rupees (can't remember). Got to keep both by spending money.

Also he wouldn't accept a fairy bottle in the trade.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    I didn't expect this as an "item" here.

• Options

Yeah that was in the original and it was a great out-of-left-field moment.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

As it was, it always shall be.
    bu1s6zayrkxn.png

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So, if they are looking for a way to gain some framerate, maybe they could turn off the “baby’s first reshade preset” depth of field filter in the overworld? It looks terrible.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So, if they are looking for a way to gain some framerate, maybe they could turn off the “baby’s first reshade preset” depth of field filter in the overworld? It looks terrible.

But it doesn't, though

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Some areas are fine, but some are bad, the village especially, like when you first walk down to where the kids are playing and they are just blobs. I would love to have the option to turn it off entirely, or set it on a slider.

• Options
    The oddest thing about the depth of field thing is that the camera is zoomed in enough that everything that ends up being blurred is just right there in Link's immediate field of view. I think they should have reserved it for times when you are on another elevation or maybe just have used it in the Mysterious Forest where it naturally makes more sense.

As is, makes it seem like Link's vision is severely impaired. I agree that the option to turn it off would have been nice.

• Options
    I'm kinda into how weird this game can be at times though.

And these dungeons have been great! My favorite so far didn't even end in a main quest item. It just had the feel of being this cool bonus and the reward was awesome too.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I do love the dungeons, and the graphics in general apart from the blur and performance issues.

I may be a bit biased towards being critical of the remake because the game boy version was one of my favorite games as a kid and the “lttp timeline” series (lttp+la+oracles) are my favorite zelda games.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Look just let me waste an item, I care more about clearing my map of treasure chests than wasting a secret medicine. Just flinging myself at lasers and lava to check off a chest.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Link's Awakening finished. Don't know how long it took, probably 10 - 12 mostly due to the god damn stupid Eagle's Tower. Didn't get 100% but I had already died once so no secret ending for me anyway.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.