As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It looks like I'm about to see what this "fucking Eagle Tower" I've heard so much of in this thread is all about.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I like the Eagle tower.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    I was thinking that since you got the DLC those silver lynels would now be gold lynels, but that is only if you started from Master Mode difficulty.

Trials of the Sword can also very much help you get in a real zone with the combat and how to approach various scenarios.

The Master Mode is something I can be sure will never see use from me; I'm not a fan of "harder" modes of any kind.

Silver enemies already felt like they took way too long to kill. I can't see gold enemies as coming off as anything other than boring.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I liked the Eagle Tower fine. A bit fiddly and I'm not used to Zelda puzzles that basically span the entire dungeon. But it made a nice change of pace.

Actually what never failed to confuse me, were the stairs in single level dungeons. Because I could never remember which stairway went where. Atleast in Eagle Tower I could just toggle up/down on the map.

• Options
    I accidentally stumbled on a fate worse than death.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yikes.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Some of my weirder moments in BoTW came from a bugged normal mode save.

One of the chests that in MM spawns on precarious platforms way up in the air kept spawning but there was no platform so it was just spawning and falling onto a mountainside and bounding all over the place. Then it would despawn.

Took me about 15 minutes to figure out what was happening.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Man, for as difficult as Eagle Tower itself was the boss was super fucking easy. And given that there was a chest you could get a certain secret item from just before the fight I figured I was in for a hell of a battle, but nope.

I liked the dungeon though. With all the Zelda experience I have anything that can stump me repeatedly and have it so I really have to pay attention to the environment is a plus. It was really intricate in the exact path you had to take so I get how it could be annoying, but I thought it was engaging.

8 instruments now! Going to fuck around and collect more stuff before I see what the endgame is like.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Been working on getting everything I can that I missed, and I've run into one heck of a glitch with the Dungeon Maker's assignments (they hid a lot of stuff in here- 1.5 hearts and a few seashells), but there's one assignment that just keeps glitching up on me. It requires you to create stairways to two enclosed areas, and the stairways I put down just link to one or the other and I always seem to end up with a bunch of stairways not linking up or just linking to the same segment, and it's annoying.

One of the features the dungeon maker needs is the ability to select where stairs link up to, to prevent glitches like this.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Aw, they changed it.
    VvghaRd.png

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    LA finally complete! I had to look up how to fight one of the final boss phases but otherwise it was great. The Eagle Tower was tough until it finally clicked on what you were supposed to do.

Died twice. Both in the beginning because I was impatient.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The encouragement of wanton violence reminds me of when Marin does the same.
    If you hit a chicken while she's following you:
    Marin wrote:
    No! No! Poor
    hen! Stop that!

If you keep hitting that chicken:
    Marin wrote:
    Ha ha ha! Do it!
    Do it! Do it
    moooore! ... ...
    Hunh? No, it's
    nothing... I
    didn't mean it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Concerning the Wind Fish
    My theory is that the Wind Fish was binging on some Super Mario Bros games before it went to sleep. There are far too many Super Mario characters and merch that creeped into this world for there to be any other explanation. It also more than likely played A Link to the Past soon before its long slumber as well, hence all of the overworld (and other, such as a reused boss encounter) similarities between Koholint and Hyrule.

Which brings me to the conclusion that the Wind Fish is the most real entity in the entire Zelda series. It has a knowledge of Nintendo products that exist in the real world and, obviously, a mind for game design. So in the same way that the game heavily hints at the true nature of its world (that its all a dream), I think it also more subtly hints at the true nature of the Wind Fish.

In summary: the Wind Fish is real and actually works for Nintendo of Japan.

Rehab on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Concerning the Wind Fish
    My theory is that the Wind Fish was binging on some Super Mario Bros games before it went to sleep. There are far too many Super Mario characters and merch that creeped into this world for there to be any other explanation. It also more than likely played A Link to the Past soon before its long slumber as well, hence all of the overworld (and other, such as a reused boss encounter) similarities between Koholint and Hyrule.

Which brings me to the conclusion that the Wind Fish is the most real entity in the entire Zelda series. It has a knowledge of Nintendo products that exist in the real world and, obviously, a mind for game design. So in the same way that the game heavily hints at the true nature of its world (that its all a dream), I think it also more subtly hints at the true nature of the Wind Fish.

The Wind Fish is my uncle.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Concerning the Wind Fish

While there are Mario characters, it's also worth noting that Wart is prominently featured (albeit with his Japanese name, Mamu). Super Mario Bros. 2 is, much like Link's Awakening, a dream.

Similarly, Kirby's in the game. I'm honestly not sure what the established lore of Kirby looked like at this time, but the early games have some notable dream stuff as well.

The "oneiroverse" theory kind of falls apart with some of the other notable crossovers like Sim City's Mr. Wright or For the Frog the Bell Tolls' Prince Richard, but it's interesting to imagine how Subcon and Koholint might be connected in a larger Nintendo dream-world. (Although, well, in Japan Mamu's really more of a Doki Doki Panic guy and SMB2 USA was released late in the NES lifecycle to critical reviews.)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm missing a fishing seashell and I can't work out why:
    Record is 65.12 inches, caught multiple Bloopers, Cheep-cheeps and Old Barons, but still only one fishing shell on the memories map.

Help?

Edit: Got it.
    You need a sufficiently big blooper, how weirdly specific. In the end it just comes down to grinding them out and hoping.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Looks neat

Hyrule Castle was close enough to get the theme running in my head, so.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    That's so cool.....

def one of my fav zelda games of all time

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Concerning the Wind Fish

While there are Mario characters, it's also worth noting that Wart is prominently featured (albeit with his Japanese name, Mamu). Super Mario Bros. 2 is, much like Link's Awakening, a dream.

Similarly, Kirby's in the game. I'm honestly not sure what the established lore of Kirby looked like at this time, but the early games have some notable dream stuff as well.

The "oneiroverse" theory kind of falls apart with some of the other notable crossovers like Sim City's Mr. Wright or For the Frog the Bell Tolls' Prince Richard, but it's interesting to imagine how Subcon and Koholint might be connected in a larger Nintendo dream-world. (Although, well, in Japan Mamu's really more of a Doki Doki Panic guy and SMB2 USA was released late in the NES lifecycle to critical reviews.)

Obviously this game takes place in Smash Brothers

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That Link to the Past fan remake is gonna get nuked once Nintendo finds out it exists

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's not a remake. It's just locations recreated in Dragon Quest Builders 2.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Woo, I finally beat the middle section of the sword trial!

Man that was a slog...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    As I remember it, the last trial is a bit easier.
    Harder enemies, but I think they give you more decent weapons.
    (and a fair number of ancient arrows, so if you make it to the last few chambers without using them, you can just go wild. Otherwise, if there's a particular enemy type you hate fighting, save them for those guys whenever they show)

edit: also if you didn't know, you can eat a massive buff meal before you go in, and carry the buff into the trial with you. I think one of the dragon scales can give you a 30 minute attack boost? That's pretty handy.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    As I remember it, the last trial is a bit easier.
    Harder enemies, but I think they give you more decent weapons.
    (and a fair number of ancient arrows, so if you make it to the last few chambers without using them, you can just go wild. Otherwise, if there's a particular enemy type you hate fighting, save them for those guys whenever they show)

edit: also if you didn't know, you can eat a massive buff meal before you go in, and carry the buff into the trial with you. I think one of the dragon scales can give you a 30 minute attack boost? That's pretty handy.

It's using a dragon horn and thank you. I've been trying to figure out how I was going to hack my way through those first trials because fuck but one wrong move and I die, even with 27 hearts. Although maybe what would work best for that first area where you've got no armor is a 3x defense potion? That way any hits would be way lessened.

I'm going to get hit anyways, it always happens. I might as well decrease the chances that it's a life ender.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The more damage you can do per hit, the longer you can make your weapons last. That's the bigger concern for me early on, since I'm scavenging everything I can.
    Either way, it's a help.

• Options
    Is there some kind of trick to fishing in Links Awakening that I'm not getting?
    All the bigger fish just break my line every time. Is it mash A all the time, lay off for some periods, what?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    All the bigger fish just break my line every time. Is it mash A all the time, lay off for some periods, what?

If memory serves, if you look at the top of your rod, there's two "levels" of pulling. If you're at the top one and the fish is pulling away, your line gets more strained. So it works out to "tap fast when the fish isn't pulling against you, tap slow when it is."

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

If memory serves, if you look at the top of your rod, there's two "levels" of pulling. If you're at the top one and the fish is pulling away, your line gets more strained. So it works out to "tap fast when the fish isn't pulling against you, tap slow when it is."

yup, its a tug of war, where you have to let them tug back before your line breaks and then pull back again to get them closer. sometimes the big fish go way back and forth before you catch them.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Yeah, pulling while they are facing away from you is what breaks the line.

Tap the button like mad when they face you, but when they turn away just think of it like tapping the breaks to slow them down and only hit it two or three times.

Fish will go back and forth, but you will make progress and eventually catch things.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    one wrong move and I die, even with 27 hearts.
    If you want to cry, watch sva's no damage Master Mode run of Trial of the Sword. Each trial was recorded separately, but I'm still amazed he pulled that off when the DLC was barely two weeks old.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Playing through again on Hero Mode and discovered a couple little things not taking Bow-Wow back immediately
    There is a monkey that I believe called himself Kiki that challenged Bow-Wow to a fight. They sort of chase each other around a bit and then the monkey flees. Also Richard refused to talk to me about the golden feathers while that "awful beast" was in his home.

Also, came across a dig spot I don't think that I found before (I wrapped up my first playthrough with something like 46 out of 50 secret shells).

Rehab on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I've determined my biggest gripe with Breath of the Wild (other than it is entirely too big; I'm just not sure I need a 200 hour Zelda game). My biggest issue is that they don't actually require you to fight the bosses the way they want you to. I cheesed plenty of the bosses and so when I went to do the illusory versions, I seriously didn't know what they expected. In fact, I cheesed most of the game and so I'm not that great at the dodges/flurry rush mechanics nor the various combinations of powers and what they do.

As just one example, the suggested way of dealing with Waterblight Ganon is apparently to crush the ice blocks excluding the middle one, freeze it in place, and then send it sailing back at the guy, and that's cool, but I would have liked some hint that that's what the game wanted me to do. That's honestly something I like about the 3D Zelda games especially, not having to guess or stumble through your tools until you hit on the combination that works. Hell, it's usually "use the item in the dungeon in some combination with other things".

It feels a lot like the original in that respect, guessing what will work where, and that's one of the worse features of the original, at least in my opinion.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've yet to meet a problem I couldn't solve by shooting it in the face with arrows, so imma just keep doing that.

What I was frustrated by today was:
    1) finding the castle memory (I fuckin' wandered into the final battle first and had to reload, ffs)
    2) the Hebra great skeleton. The other ones are just things you find in the overworld and are super cool! Why is this one locked behind maybe the worst 'puzzle' I've ever seen in a tiny monocolor valley of an area defined by tall peaks and bad visibility!

Like if anyone here found the Hebra skeleton without looking anything up I commend and also don't believe you.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Blegh, I can't figure out if I want to do Hero Mode or not in Link's Awakening. I am normally 100% down for the hard difficulty setting except for the fact that there's a bonus sequence in the ending for never dying. Granted, I guess I'd be looking over my shoulder and manually saving compulsively on the normal mode anyway, but I'm pretty confident that at regular damage levels and having farmable hearts I'd be in no danger of dying unintentionally.

As ever, the options screen is my greatest foe...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    As just one example, the suggested way of dealing with Waterblight Ganon is apparently to crush the ice blocks excluding the middle one, freeze it in place, and then send it sailing back at the guy, and that's cool, but I would have liked some hint that that's what the game wanted me to do.

That is an interesting method for sure. My own way of fighting that illusory boss (mostly devised because of the limited arrows) when he is in that stage became:
    1) Get to one of the four corners and determine which direction Mr Blight would be attacking from. 2) Face him and then quickly use Cryonis at the edge of the platform to create an ice piller directly in front of me. 3) Wait for all his blocks of ice to get done crashing into the defensive pillar that I made then leap on top of it. 4) Jump off, hit the shoulder button to enter slow motion, and shoot that fucker in the face. 5) Quickly swim over to where he fell down and hack away at him. 6) Repeat until dead, redeem powered up Mipha's Grace.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Like if anyone here found the Hebra skeleton without looking anything up I commend and also don't believe you.

I totally did. 8-)
    I also spent hours scouring that region for everything. Once I saw the snowballs though I had a feeling it was going to be a repeat of that same puzzle from earlier (a similar door closer to that cave-like area with the huge overhanging cliffs not far from that areas tower needed to be smashed in to get to a shrine).

Rehab on
  • Options
    Finally finished the full sword trial!!

Geeeeeeeezzzz....

l4lGvOw.png

wra
This discussion has been closed.