As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I started playing NG+ on Grandmaster, not sure if it's worth the hassle as I'm getting murked by the basic acid enemies on Dathomir and that's No Good

Might actually bump it down to lower than Master lmao and just godmode everything

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I haven’t tried GM but JM always felt like the right difficulty for me. Still died plenty but always felt like I had room for “aha” moments in combat.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is the dodge roll always shit or can I upgrade it to not be shit?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is the dodge roll always shit or can I upgrade it to not be shit?

There's a late game power where tapping A dodges in place matrix-style, but dodge roll is what it is.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Looks like I am mastering parrying then!

Edit: There is such a nice combat system here, but the controls do not feel tight enough to reward it.

Edit 2: I murdered the giant frog thing in the first planet by mastering parrying. Dodge just didn’t seem to do jack shit.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Looks like I am mastering parrying then!

Edit: There is such a nice combat system here, but the controls do not feel tight enough to reward it.

Edit 2: I murdered the giant frog thing in the first planet by mastering parrying. Dodge just didn’t seem to do jack shit.

You're doing it right. Roll is necessary for red moves, and getting some breathing room later, but parry should be your goto move until you get that fancy dodge.

• Options
    This is Jedi Dark Souls.

I farmed storm troopers for XP. Poor guys never saw the lightsabering coming.

• Options
    Imagine if the Empire has made their army out of these fucking goats instead of Storm Troopers.

The rebellion would have been doomed from day 1.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I haven't touched the game in months but I installed a new graphics card so now I can actually run the game, and I've forgotten both how to play and what I was doing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS WITH THESE GOATS.

In other news I just got to Kashyyyk.
    PEW PEW AT-AT PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW.

A question though, I noticed the shuttle turned blue before it crashed, does that mean I could have done something to save the AT-AT with force powers?

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So this is on sale on Steam, and I hear that this is a Very Good Star Wars game and therefore Worth Picking Up? Am I limited to lightsaber only, or do I have a small arsenal of pew pew that would make Kyle Katarn proud?

• Options
    Akilae wrote: »
    So this is on sale on Steam, and I hear that this is a Very Good Star Wars game and therefore Worth Picking Up? Am I limited to lightsaber only, or do I have a small arsenal of pew pew that would make Kyle Katarn proud?

This is very much not a shooting game. No guns as far as I'm aware of. You might be able to throw the saber later on in the game?

It's basically Star Wars Dark Souls, for better or worse.

steam_sig.png

• Options

This is very much not a shooting game. No guns as far as I'm aware of. You might be able to throw the saber later on in the game?

So less Han Solo, more Obi-Wan Kenobi. Got it.

• Options
    edited June 2020

I really want to emphasize that this game is very much Dark Souls with Jedi. You can meditate at bon- I mean meditation circles that respawns enemies. You have XP that accumulates if you kill things, which is also lost if you die again before you can hit the enemy that killed you.

Also expect to fight a lot of non-human enemies. Especially goats.

FEAR THE GOATS.

Edit: I am also really annoyed I walked right past the workbench that would have upgraded the ability to hack things. I didn't realize it was important.

Aegeri on
  • Options

I really want to emphasize that this game is very much Dark Souls with Jedi. You can meditate at bon- I mean meditation circles that respawns enemies. You have XP that accumulates if you kill things, which is also lost if you die again before you can hit the enemy that killed you.

Also expect to fight a lot of non-human enemies. Especially goats.

FEAR THE GOATS.

Edit: I am also really annoyed I walked right past the workbench that would have upgraded the ability to hack things. I didn't realize it was important.

So Dark Souls/Bloodborne, but with lightsaber and The Force instead of Zweihander and Pyro. I think I can live with that.

• Options
    It feels a bit more janky than those games to a degree. I find it infuriating that you need to hit dodge twice to get a proper roll. Why it wasn't just "press O to roll" is baffling.

• Options
    It feels a bit more janky than those games to a degree. I find it infuriating that you need to hit dodge twice to get a proper roll. Why it wasn't just "press O to roll" is baffling.

Obviously I haven't pulled the trigger on the game, but that question brings to mind the what-ifs of a From or Platinum developed Jedi game. The mind boggles at the possibilities...

• Options
    The solution is to get really good at parrying, which the game arguably rewards infinitely more than trying to Dark Souls maneuver around enemies.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    A better analogue would be "a slightly janky Sekiro". Dodging, apart from the unlockable Matrix-dodge, is basically the thing you only use when you have to use it. Parry everything else.

Er, don't parry rockets. There's rockets.

• Options
    Ironically, Sekiro is the game I am about to play after Fallen Order.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Do them in that order. I played Sekiro first and got annoyed at how much tighter the controls and gameplay were in Sekiro.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Do them in that order. I played Sekiro first and got annoyed at how much tighter the controls and gameplay were in Sekiro.

Ironically, I am only playing Jedi Fallen Order now because A) I needed something, anything, that wasn't the Last of Us 2 and B) Because I had just watched the Mandalorian and that got me so into more Star Wars.

• Options
    I bought Fallen Order right before I saw Rise of Skywalker, in case it was as bad as I had heard and I needed some good Star Wars content in my life.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    While I am not 100% sold on the core gameplay, I absolutely love the characters and what I've seen of the story so far (I'm just on Kashyyyk right now).

• Options
    Got the game! I guess it's good? There seems to be some jank here and there. The first time I pulled out a lightsaber I died. By falling through the floor...

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The story is pretty darn good IMO. Combat isn't great but isn't terrible. I think a second iteration of the series could be something special.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Cal isn't just a generic good good Jedi boy, he becomes a legitimately enjoyable character, and the story has some compelling things to say about the Jedi.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Cal isn't just a generic good good Jedi boy, he becomes a legitimately enjoyable character, and the story has some compelling things to say about the Jedi.

This is personally why I am starting to really love it. There's a really great story in here once it starts going.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Other than the occasional jank and too many exciting sliding sequences (good luck when those two overlap), the biggest problem is the appearance customization.

Every step of the way the game asks: "ponchos?" While I'm over here saying "no thank you I shall go without."

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the game a lot, except for the bits where you'd have to, e.g., go down an ice slide, leap out over a chasm, Force-pull a vine into your hand, swing between three different vines, and finish it all off with a five-stage wall-run with double jumps between each wall.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the game a lot, except for the bits where you'd have to, e.g., go down an ice slide, leap out over a chasm, Force-pull a vine into your hand, swing between three different vines, and finish it all off with a five-stage wall-run with double jumps between each wall.

You forgot the clipping error which made you miss the vine or wall and you had to do it all over again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Game is good, but holy hell is this horribly optimized on PC.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Game is good, but holy hell is this horribly optimized on PC.

really? huh, ran extremely well for me

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm finding outside of one mess of a cutscene of Kashyyyk, the game has run really well on PS4.

In other news, the more I've stuck with this game the more rewarding it has become to play. Once you get the Force Push/Pull powers, the game feels like it hits a proper rhythm in combat. It is not getting old to pick up a storm trooper with force pull and then throw him into another guy to send them both flying off a cliff. It's downright satisfying.

Speaking of satisfying, this story is going places and I'm loving it so far. I really hope it doesn't just all fall apart on random out of nowhere macguffin.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Okay, played around with settings, and things are better. But goodness does the engine chug when it needs HDD access.

A Souls-like Star Wars game isn't something I ever thought I wanted, but here it is. It's more of a Souls-lite. If only it had more of the precision and polish of Bloodborne. Movement in Bloodborne had a certain weight, and I could always be sure of where I'll land. Fallen Order is a tad floatier.

Akilae on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Okay, played around with settings, and things are better. But goodness does the engine chug when it needs HDD access.

A Souls-like Star Wars game isn't something I ever thought I wanted, but here it is. It's more of a Souls-lite. If only it had more of the precision and polish of Bloodborne. Movement in Bloodborne had a certain weight, and I could always be sure of where I'll land. Fallen Order is a tad floatier.

I wish it felt more like Sekiro personally. Since they want you to master parrying anyways.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I tried playing the Mortal Shell demo, and it really made me appreciate how balanced and polished Fallen Order feels in comparison. I still need to check out Bloodborne or Sekiro.

• Options
    Okay I was calling this Jedi Dark Souls as a joke, then I got to the Shadowlands on Kashyyyk.
    It even animates identically to the drake!!!!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Worth the entire game and all it’s jank for that last 30 minutes alone. What a fantastic sequence. Good to see another Star Wars thing finally
    make Vader feel like a credible and frightening threat. That sequence and the end of Rogue One are just so good.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I tried playing the Mortal Shell demo, and it really made me appreciate how balanced and polished Fallen Order feels in comparison. I still need to check out Bloodborne or Sekiro.

Well one is an early-release beta, and the other is a fully finished and released game....

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126